Many people know that locks are the weak point of metal doors. Even if the canvas itself is high-quality and highly reliable, a poor-quality lock can outweigh all the positive qualities, nullifying the safety of the home. That is why it is so important to correctly select these components. In addition, they need to be able to repair and change if necessary.
Many users decide to independently replace the lock in a reliable metal door. Carrying out such work is affordable and understandable. However, before proceeding to such procedures, it is necessary to determine what type of element is present in the existing canvas. In most situations, metal doors have lever and cylinder types of locks.
So, the cylinder lock common today is made up of a special larva, which can be easily removed and removed if necessary. It is possible to understand that exactly the part of this type is present in the existing structure, thanks to the presence of a flat key in it with recesses and notches. As for the lever mechanisms - they are complicated, but they are characterized by high strength and reliability. The keys made in the form of rods with plates and cuts on them are suitable for them.
Also, modern locks for iron doors are produced as follows:
- disk - with similar mechanisms there is a semicircular key with one-sided notches;
- cross-shaped - in this case, wrenches similar to a cross-type screwdriver are suitable;
- rack and pinion - for such locks, elongated keys with notches are used.
Similar options are less common than leverage or cylinder.
Also, door locks are divided into the following types:
- electromagnetic - in such cases characteristic powerful magnets are provided;
- electromechanical - the contents of these locks contain both electronic and mechanical parts;
- electronic - these types of locks are powered by electricity;
- mechanical - such options are divided into 2 subtypes (indicated above) - cylinder and level.
And now let's get to know more closely the most popular devices of different types.
The cylinder-type lock is recognized as one of the simplest. A similar version of the device is found in many metal doors, which means that it will be quite possible to meet the difficulties of its replacement.
The main advantage of English castles is that in the process of repair work in them there is no need to completely replace the entire mechanism, which is very convenient and takes little time. Buy a brand new cylinder with a larva will not be the slightest difficulty. It should also be noted that similar parts are produced according to a single standard. This means that your lock in a metal door can be easily repaired - any spare part you need can be easily found.
Often found today, leveled systems are recognized as more reliable and efficient, so many consumers choose them. However, it must be borne in mind that it will not be so easy to figure out such devices than cylinder ones. Many manufacturers supplement their products with detailed instructions with diagrams and drawings. Based on such a manual, it will be much easier to repair or replace the lock.
- With sliding crossbars
The most difficult thing is to replace the lock with sliding bolts in the metal door. Such devices are often used in modern metal door leafs. They provide a fairly high level of security. Hacking them is very difficult. Due to the specificity of its mechanism, not only the side bolts move out of the door, but also the constituent elements in the upper and lower parts. These elements completely block the iron door in the opening.
Work with this lock is required as carefully as possible so as not to damage the crossbars. In addition, with inaccurate work, you can accidentally damage the internal door structure, which will reduce its level of security.
The need to replace a metal door lock may appear in some cases. Let's consider each of them.
- When selecting a new door leaf. In most cases, they themselves are full without a lock. It is bought separately. Of course, certain manufacturers offer consumers comprehensive services. If you pursue the goal of saving money, then the installation of both the door and the lock device should be done with your own hands. Such work should be carried out correctly in order to accurately protect your home.
- In case of loss of keys. This reason is considered one of the most common. If you have a spare key in stock, you can make a duplicate of it, but at the same time there is a risk that someone with unfavorable intentions will find the lost original. In addition, there are situations when people lose all available keys, including spare ones. In this situation, there is nothing left but to replace the lock.
- Change of a damaged mechanism. If the lock devices are not used very carefully or if a low-quality mechanism is purchased, the larva in it may soon break down, and the crossbars can undergo deformation. Do not use such a lock, because there will be no sense in it - it will definitely need to be replaced with a new and undamaged one.
- Replacing a not very reliable mechanism. Not in all cases, the owners manage to establish a really effective and safe castle that can protect the house from breaking. If for the first time you made a mistake in choosing this device, then this problem can be resolved. In addition, it must be borne in mind that every year different manufacturers release more and more lock options specifically for iron doors.
- In case of hacking. Hacking door locks is an extremely negative situation, which, unfortunately, happens quite often. In such a situation, it is often required not only to replace the lock itself with a new (better) one, but also the entire door leaf.
- When transferring housing to new owners. Replacing the castle in these circumstances will serve as a precaution, since it is impossible to be 100% sure of the shame and honesty of unfamiliar people, even if they used to own a house.
If at least one of the above reasons touched you, then you do not need to pull with the replacement of the lock in the metal sheet. In addition, it must be borne in mind that carrying out such work may be relevant in the most unexpected situations.
Necessary tools and preparation
If you decide to independently change the lock in the metal door, then you should know that you need to do this using special tools. This applies to any door leaf, especially metal. You will definitely need such devices as:
These tools cannot be dispensed with when it comes to replacing locks when keys are lost, and the core of the device must be completely removed.
As for the immediate preparatory measures, this will include the purchase of all the parts required for replacing locks. At the same time, it is very important to ensure that all components are ideally suited to existing structures. The best solution is to purchase them in the same store (possibly from the same manufacturer), where the doors themselves were made of metal. In this case, there is no doubt that all the elements are definitely suitable for all the necessary work.
Dismantling the previous design
Before fixing a brand new lock, you must correctly dismantle the old device. Let us consider how to do this correctly, using the example of disk, level and cylinder mechanisms.
Suvald is part of the entire castle mechanism. It consists of plates with special curly clippings. Before dismantling such a device, you need to make sure that the lock is completely removed from the well, all the bolts are retracted, and the sash is opened. After that, you will need to remove all the handles and latches. It will be necessary to remove the self-tapping screws that allow the lock case to be attached to the metal base. In the place where the previous device was, it is advisable to mount a part of a similar company and dimensions. Otherwise, you may have to spend money on expanding the existing opening for the device you just picked up (it can take a lot of extra time).
As for the cylinder device, it is important to consider that it consists of the following elements: the cylinder itself (i.e. the larva), the handle, and a special protective pad. If only the handle is damaged, then only it can be replaced without touching the other parts. Even if you have lost the keys to the door, but you can use the duplicate to get into the house, it will be enough to change only the larva and keys.
In order to remove the hull of the old castle, you will need:
- open the lock by pushing the bolts all the way;
- remove the screws of the fasteners using a screwdriver or screwdrivers;
- get the mechanism itself;
- remove the handles, screws and bolt.
If there is an addition in the form of upholstery or decoration overlay on the iron door leaf, then, of course, it will need to be dismantled beforehand so as not to damage it. Currently, metal doors are often decorated with paintings made of high-quality leather substitute. If there is a similar decor on the canvas, then the door will need to be completely removed so that you can accurately get to the lock mechanism.
It is quite possible to make installation of a disk lock. The specified device is also made in the form of a cylinder, but disks are located inside it, and not standard pins, as in other versions. In most situations, it is only enough to change the mechanism larva. However, if the mechanism is quite outdated and has ceased to be reliable, it will need to be dismantled completely.
All elements of such a locking mechanism are attached to the door using self-tapping screws. In order to remove the lock to the end, you need to unscrew these screws. At the same time, it is important to adhere to this sequence: first you need to unscrew the fasteners from the handle, then from the larva, and at the end - from the lock case itself. As you can see, disassembling the disk element is quite simple and fast. Everyone will cope with such work.
If you have successfully dismantled the old locking mechanisms, you can proceed to install new ones.
When replacing a lock of a lever type, experts recommend using only European systems, because it is much easier to repair them. If we are talking about similar Russian-made locks, then they will need to be reinstalled not only the core, but also the entire castle as a whole, because it does not seem to recode the leverage.
All work will need to be performed in several stages.
- First you need to open the door so that the bolt part can be opened completely. The housing of the locking mechanism must be dismantled.
- Next, from the core you will need to remove the keys, bolts, armor plates and handle. The decor will not need to be removed.
- You will need to unscrew the screws. Further, the entire component of the device is removed and a new lock is installed.
In a situation where on the European model of the castle you still need to recode the levers, it is recommended that you entrust such work to professionals.
Replacement of the cylinder-type lock is also possible with your own hands. It is very important to consider that such a device is characterized by the presence of a secrecy mechanism, which is represented by a cylindrical larva. So, with the loss of keys, it will be permissible to change only the core. In this case, the lock must not be completely replaced.
This model is considered excellent in matters of repair, because even a user who does not have the appropriate experience can easily cope with such work. The whole process can be divided into several main stages.
- First, the old cylinder is removed. Then, using the keys, they open a special locking mechanism, but in the future it will need to be left in the lock itself.
- You will need to find and unscrew the screws.
- Then the locking mechanism is locked with a key.
- Now a screw is screwed in the center of the tongue.
- Next, you need to probe the location of the larva. When she succumbs, she will need to be pulled up. In this case, in most cases, only one turn of the key is enough (about 40 degrees).
If a complete replacement of such a part as a larva is necessary, then all processes will proceed in the same way, but in the opposite direction.
- The first thing to do in the cylinder is to fix the key and turn it so that the flag does not prevent the larva from falling into place.
- Then you need to screw in a special fixing bolt and fix a new larva.
- The previously removed plate is again put in its original place. After that, you need to check the whole mechanism for proper operation.
If it is not possible to extract the larva (this may be due to its damage), then it will first need to be drilled. Further, this part is usually knocked out. After that, it will be possible to proceed to the direct opening of the iron door using the good old master keys.
Many people change their own locks on metal doors. In these options, as in the cylinder, there is a part in the form of a cylinder, and instead of pins there are disk elements. The cutouts present in them must be identical in shape to the cutouts on the keys. The key itself for such a mechanism should have a characteristic semicircular section.
If you are going to replace the disk-type lock yourself, then you will need to consider the following features.
- If the disk lock is released by a Russian manufacturer, then in case of any breakdown it will have to be completely changed. Moreover, it should be borne in mind that it is optimal to replace the device with a foreign mechanism, which is considered the most wear-resistant and durable.
- In the event of an import lock failure, you only need to replace the larva.
- The more disk parts present in the lock mechanism, as well as the more difficult the grooves scattered on the sides of these disks, the more reliable the lock will be. But keep in mind that high reliability will be useless if the mechanism itself cannot boast of sufficient strength characteristics. In any case, he will need additional protection against mechanical damage.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated about replacing locking mechanisms. The main thing is to act in accordance with the manual and be as accurate as possible. Try to treat all parts as carefully as possible so as not to accidentally damage them during the dismantling / installation work.
If you have completed all work on replacing the old lock in the metal door, then you will definitely need to check the operation of the newly installed mechanisms. You will need to make sure that the latches, handles, and the crossbar are functioning correctly. And you need to do this on both sides of the door leaf. All verification procedures are first carried out with the door open and then closed.
It is very important to keep in mind that at this final stage of the home master, the most unexpected surprises can be expected. For example, this may be a mismatch of the recesses intended for the reeds on the screwdriver. In this case, they will need to be increased to the required values. Also, many people are faced with the fact that the sash with the bolts fully extended begins to hide behind, while marks on the upper and lower boundaries of their location are formed on the box. In this case, the reciprocal bar (if it is removable) is removed, and the corresponding sections are made in the box itself. If necessary, the bar is fixed with a slight offset.
After carrying out such improvements, it is necessary to make a final assessment of the functioning of the locking device. You will also need to check the serviceability of the blade handle for a possible jam. Any shortcomings and errors must be corrected after completion of all installation work. Otherwise, the door will not be sufficiently reliable and safe, and the new lock itself can quickly fail.
If you decide to independently change the locks in the iron doors, then you should heed some advice from experts to avoid many problems and inconsistencies during the work.
- Cylinder-type locking mechanisms are installed in the same way on all types of door leafs. It can be both plastic interior options or cheap Chinese paintings, as well as Guardian or Torex models.
- Replacing and installing level locks is simple and straightforward. The main thing that you need to observe is to choose exactly the same device as it was before.
- The door lock must be selected correctly. The selection of this part is influenced by many different factors, the main of which is the direct installation method. Experts do not recommend purchasing low-quality Chinese products, because they will not last long.
- Do not rush to immediately replace the old castle with a new one. To begin with, the scale of the problems and damage to the previous mechanism should be determined. Perhaps it will be enough just to replace one of the damaged parts, and not install a new device.
- When installing a new lock, it is recommended to use electric tools with the ability to adjust the speed. This is especially true for angle grinders, because with its application the most delicate and painstaking work will be carried out.
- If you have lost the main key, but have a duplicate in stock, it is better to change the locks in the iron door anyway. It’s not worth the risk, because the lost thing can be found by unscrupulous people who will have access to your house or apartment.
- Consider the fact that the installation of mortise mechanisms negatively affects the door structure itself, weakening it. Because of this, the canvas will be less strong and reliable.
- Specialists advise purchasing locking mechanisms and doors from some manufacturers. Thus, when installing a brand new lock, you most likely will not have problems and inconsistencies.
- If you decide to install a cylinder-type lock, then you need to keep in mind that such devices have one serious drawback - they do not have the most reliable jumper. Any loads that fall on such a mechanism inevitably lead to wear of such a part. That is why the cylinder device must be treated very carefully and carefully.
- When choosing a new castle, experts strongly do not recommend contacting goods with discounts and discounted products. Typically, these locks are outdated and are characterized by a large number of hacks. They will not be able to provide good protection for your home. It’s better to overpay a little and get a quality device that you can trust.
- Having installed a new lock in the iron door, be sure to make sure that it is locked securely and correctly. He should not hang out in a dedicated slot.
- At all stages of installation, it is necessary to check the correct operation of the new iron door lock. This will allow you to solve any problems on time, not reaching them until the completion of all work.
- When installing a new locking mechanism yourself, only high-quality tools must be used. It is advisable to refer to branded devices that will not fail during operation.
- If the new castle requires transcoding, then it is better to entrust the carrying out of such work to specialists. It is not recommended to start such processes independently.
- If large decorative details are present on the metal door leaf that could interfere with the installation of a new lock, it is best to remove them during installation. Thus, you get rid of unnecessary obstacles and do not damage the scenery.
- If there is a reason to replace the old castle with a new one, experienced users are advised not to waste time in vain. It is better to start such work as early as possible in order to more quickly protect your home from unpleasant consequences.
- Based on different hacking options, different types of larvae are also released. Hacks are of the following types: drilling, using a duplicate key, knocking out, breaking using a master key.
- Remove the old lock and install the new one as carefully as possible. Try not to damage the parts of the devices, otherwise they may be less effective after installation.
- Experienced consumers are advised to look at high-quality products from Cisa. The locks of this manufacturer boast a very useful reusable recoding function. You do not have to carry out unnecessary manipulations with this. All that is required of you is to stock up with brand new keys and encode the lock for them.
- Do not forget that the thickness of the door leaf made of metal can become a serious obstacle to the installation of a new lock, for which it is necessary to prepare a wider seat. Sometimes such processes should be abandoned, since this can provoke a weakening of the strength of the entire door in the insert section of the device.
- Get only branded locks of high quality. It is advisable to refer to products of foreign manufacturers (but not Chinese). Such systems work long and trouble-free, and their repair is quick and easy. Domestic designs are also maintainable, but more capricious and difficult to carry out such work. And in terms of quality, as a rule, they are inferior to the same European models.
- Choosing a suitable lock of proper quality, you should ask the seller for all the necessary documentation and quality certificates that come with the product. If they refuse to show you the documents, then it is also better to refuse to buy such products, since they are most likely of dubious quality and will not be able to protect your home from intruders.
- Specialists do not recommend to start carrying out such work on their own if you doubt your abilities or do not understand the structure of the lock mechanism. In this case, the result of the work may disappoint you, and the lock itself will not be the most reliable and safe. In such situations, it is better to contact professionals.
In the next video, see how to replace a lock in a metal door.