A washing machine is a complex mechanism in which, sooner or later, a breakdown occurs. If some malfunctions occur, there is an urgent need to remove the drum to eliminate them. We will figure out how to remove the drum from the washing machine automatically.
The drum of the washing machine is one of the most important components in the design of the entire device. It is this element that experiences the greatest load during operation. When choosing, it is advisable to pay special attention to this node.
The entire washing process takes place in the drum. It is made entirely of stainless steel and placed in the tank, where there is water during washing. The tank may be made of various materials. Modern cars have plastic or metal-plastic tanks. The drum has a large number of technical holes for circulating water through it.
Each manufacturer decides for himself what size the drum will be and how many holes there will be, but these parameters do not affect the quality of the process.
The dimensions of the part in question only affect the amount of laundry introduced.
The main disadvantage of the drums present in the device of automatic washing machines is the wear of the material during washing. At high speeds, clothing threads experience strong stretching and lose elasticity and appearance. And soft tissue can penetrate slightly into the drainage holes. Because of this, manufacturers have developed several washing modes based on the types of material loaded.
An additional protection against premature wear of the fabric was the introduction of a honeycomb drum. It is divided into small cells that resemble a honeycomb, and in the corners are holes for draining water. Such an engineering solution allows you to more delicately handle clothes during washing.
From long operation or due to factory defects, the drum may become unusable. It could be:
- damage to the inner wall of the drum with a partial rupture of the metal;
- wear of the seat for the sleeve.
With such problems, you need to change the drum. This procedure is quite laborious, since it will take to disassemble almost the entire machine, but it is quite feasible on its own.
Very rarely, manufacturers supply drums separately. Most often they are assembled with a tank.
The procedure for replacing the tank on the washing machine will vary depending on the design of the unit itself. This can be a front-loading laundry machine or a vertical one. In each case, its own replacement algorithm.
For front loading machine
With this design of the washing machine, the drum is mounted on 1 shaft to the tank on the rear side. To pull the part in question from this type of device:
- unscrew the screws that hold the top cover;
- dismantle all attachments that are located above the tank (control panel, powder hopper, filling valve, hoses, upper counterweight);
- Next, you need to remove the hatch cuff, for this we remove the sealing collar and refill the cuff inside;
- behind the tank there are wires from the heater and the engine, which must be disconnected;
- to simplify the process of removing the tank from the housing by removing through the top, you can remove the engine - this will greatly facilitate the design.
In this design, the drum mount is located on both sides, which greatly complicates its disassembly. The procedure for this procedure will be as follows:
- first of all, we unscrew all the screws on the front and rear walls;
- dismantle the side panel;
- turn off all the wires and unscrew the fixing screws.
The second side is disassembled in the same way, and after that you need to unscrew the bolts of the shaft and remove the drum.
How to disassemble and remove?
Before you start disassembling the washing machine, prepare all the necessary devices. To do this, we need the usual tool that can be found in any garage:
- flat and Phillips screwdrivers;
- set of open-end wrenches;
- set of heads;
- pliers or pliers;
- bearing puller;
- hammer and pound.
Now that all the tools are cooked, you can begin the disassembly process. Before starting any repair work related to electrical household appliances, they must be disconnected from the mains and other communications (plumbing and sewer systems) without fail . When all these conditions are met, we proceed to disassemble the washing machine.
In order to change the drum on the front-loading washing machine, the first thing we do is unscrew the screws for fastening the top cover, remove it and remove it to the side.
In the near future it will not be needed. Now we begin to dismantle all components and assemblies that will interfere with the removal of the tank from the housing.
The first to remove the detergent bin. It is mounted on self-tapping screws, and rubber hoses are suitable for it. Unscrewing all the fasteners, disconnect the hoses. For this we use pliers. We expand self-tightening collars. This must be done as carefully as possible so as not to break off the fittings on which the hoses are put on.
Next, remove the control panel . It is mounted on screws, and some models of washing machines have special hooks that allow you not to disconnect it completely, but to get it out of the case and hang it on board for the duration of the repair. This is a very convenient solution.
Now you need to remove the sealing cuffs of the hatch. Pry off the fixing collar with a flat screwdriver and remove it. We straighten the cuffs from the groove and bend it into the inside of the tank.
When all the extra nodes are removed from the top of the washing machine, go to the back half of it . There we will need to disconnect all the wires from the engine and the heater. You must remember to disconnect the drain pipe at the very bottom of the tank.
The last step, before removing the tank from the housing, you need to disconnect the counterweight and shock absorber . The counterweight is removed after loosening the fastening nut, and the shock absorber simply snaps off the mount. It is not necessary to completely dismantle the shock absorber, since when lifting the tank it will easily leave the seat. To lighten the overall weight of the structure, an engine can be removed from it. After making sure that the tank is left hanging only on the springs, it can be removed.
When the tank is removed, it must be disassembled into 2 parts to get the drum. But first, you need to carefully remove the heating element, so that during the removal of the drum it is not accidentally damaged. It is mounted on 1 nut, unscrewing which we press the stud inward. We pry the heater with a screwdriver and gently, swinging movements, we gradually remove the heater from the tank.
Now it's time to half the tank. We unscrew all the bolts around the perimeter and carefully disconnect the tank.
Having completed this procedure, we only need to remove the drum itself from the disassembled design, where it rests on the bearings. After removing the pulley, install the puller, and begin to squeeze the drum shaft. If the tank is made of metal or metal, then the shaft and bearings can be knocked out with a hammer, and if it is plastic, you will need to act carefully, and it is undesirable to use the hammer. Otherwise, you can split the tank.
Disassembling a top-loading washing machine is a little more difficult. This is due to design features. First we need to remove the dashboard from the top of the machine. It is mounted on self-tapping screws and is removed by moving it forward. After you need to disconnect from it all the wiring.
Further analysis of this type of machine is very similar to the disassembly of the previous model . Remove the tray for washing powder. Further, having unscrewed all the self-tapping screws, we remove the skin of the machine. The sealing cuff is removed with a flat screwdriver and refilled inward.
Now we unscrew the counterweight, which is fastened with a through pin and tightened with a nut. Turn off the shock absorbers. For the convenience of further work, you can remove the engine.
The next step is to remove the tank itself, and you can begin to disassemble it. Having unscrewed the bolts around the perimeter, we disconnect the indicated structural element, but this must be done carefully, since it is made of plastic and can crack.
When disassembling a washing machine of any type on its own, without having enough experience in repairing household appliances, it is necessary to mark all hoses and wires with a marker, and it is better to take pictures. This will prevent the problem of improper assembly. With a similar problem, the machine may simply not work, and in the worst case, some element will burn out.
Some washing machines are equipped with a non-separable type tank. Two halves of the plastic tank are welded together. But if desired, such an element can be disassembled and assembled back.
To do this, you need to get the tank itself from the washing machine. The weld point looks like a protruding seam. It will be necessary to saw it with a hacksaw for metal, but before that it is necessary to drill holes for future bolts around the entire perimeter of the tank. They need to be drilled no less than 15 cm apart.
When all the holes are drilled, you can start cutting the non-separable part of the tank. Having divided it, we proceed to the replacement of the necessary parts, and then we begin the assembly.
So that the sawn tank does not leak, it must be lubricated with silicone sealant around the entire perimeter. Next, install the bolts in the pre-drilled holes and begin to tighten the nuts.
For these purposes, it is advisable to purchase special self-locking nuts or lock the usual ones. Tightening must be done very carefully so as not to break the side of the tank.
The best repair is the one that was not there, so it's easier to save a thing than then try to restore it. In order not to have to deal with this, it is necessary to observe all the requirements that are in the operating instructions.
- Do not overload the machine with laundry . Due to overloading, not only things don’t normally open, but the bearings and the support shaft will also wear out a lot.
- Do not start the machine with a half empty drum. This will lead to the collection of all things on one side during the spin cycle and create an imbalance on the drum, which will cause strong vibration of the machine. This runout on the shaft greatly breaks the bearings and oil seal, after which there is a need for repair.
- Hard water leaves scale on the heating elements, which leads to a decrease in their resource. This problem can be solved by installing special filters in the water supply, which reduce the carbonate hardness of water. Thanks to this, the scale will be much less, which means that the service life of the heating element will be longer. It happens that scum accumulates on the drum too - from here it must be removed by special means.
- Clean the mud filter of the machine regularly . It is located in its lower part, most often on the right side. Its clogging will lead to the fact that the water stops draining from the machine, and without a complete analysis of the drainage system and its cleaning, it will not be enough.
- Do not pour too much powder into the tray . The residual wet powder, when dried, turns into a very harsh substance, which can clog the nozzles for supplying water to the tank. Use exactly the amount of powder necessary for this wash mode.
- Never send items that can contain different things in their pockets, such as paper clips, buttons, or other similar items. During the cycle, they fly out of their pockets and can cause serious harm to the drum. Keep track of this, preparing things for your planned wash.
See how to saw and glue the non-separable tank of the washing machine.