The main purpose of the front door is to ensure the safety of housing from unnecessary guests. But she also has to protect from the cold falling into the house. Whatever design the door has, it will still need auxiliary thermal insulation. Today we will take a closer look at how to properly insulate a brother-in-law, which of the heat-insulating materials is better and how to design it using various materials.
Why do this?
It doesn’t matter where the door is located - in an apartment of a multi-story building or in a private house. In all cases, the canvas should have the following features and elements:
- high-strength structures that protect against unwanted visitors;
- thermal and sound insulation;
- the presence of a peephole or video surveillance to be able to monitor what is happening behind the door;
- external beauty, because the door is the hallmark of any home.
As you can see, thermal insulation is an essential component of a good door. It is especially important to warm the canvas for the winter. Below we will talk about the correct thermal insulation of the input structure.
Maximum heat dissipation comes from windows and entrance systems. Based on this, many insulate the doors with their own hands. For this work, you may need:
- Sealant. It is used to enhance tight fit.
- Materials for thermal insulation:
- foam rubber - cheap, practical, but very soon spoils, turning into crumbs.
- It is better to use Isolon, it is of better quality, but also costs more.
- Mineral wool is also common, which simply attaches, is perfectly soundproof and does not rot, but eventually gathers into lumps.
- Polyfoam is lightweight and easy to use.
- It may also come in handy rubber padding, batting and rollers made of foamed polyethylene.
- Plywood, wooden blocks for interior use.
- Upholstery. It can be skin or dermantine.
- Drill, screwdriver, liquid nails, hammer, screws and screws.
- Construction stapler and a set of staples.
- Foam, putty knife set, plaster or putty.
- Scissors, knife, tape measure.
Which insulation is better?
Nowadays, there are many heaters that can be used for a variety of paintings, whether it is a simple street door, an attic model or a structure in a rural house. Let's consider each separately:
- mineral wool is a heater characterized by excellent soundproof and heat-insulating qualities. Its absolute plus is its low cost and safety. In addition, it is waterproof and resistant to temperature fluctuations. The main disadvantage of the material presented is the friability at which it sags and cold bridges form.
To prevent such shortcomings during insulation, install slats that prevent the cotton from sagging
- Corrugated cardboard - the second insulation in terms of prevalence. Due to its structure, similar to a honeycomb, it is quite strong. Corrugated cardboard also has good sound insulation and significantly reduces heat loss. It is also quite lightweight and has a low price.
- Polyfoam is a popular heat-insulating material that is inexpensive and has significant density and durability. Due to the homogeneous structure, the foam has a low thermal conductivity. The only negative of this material is that it is combustible.
- Foamed polyurethane contains many advantages. It has a light weight, the necessary hardness and safety. Significant high cost justifies itself due to excellent thermal and sound insulation. It is also moisture resistant, non-combustible and strong. These characteristics are inherent in this material because of its special structure, consisting of the smallest cells.
- Foam panels are usually used to insulate expensive doors. Among the heat insulators listed above, they have the best properties for moisture resistance and sound insulation, as well as the lowest percentage of thermal conductivity. Also, such plates are capable of resisting tensile and compression.
- Wood fiber is a well-known insulation that is made from conifers. It has guaranteed heat resistance thanks to a special tool added during production. This material has excellent sound insulation due to the required density. It is very strong and does not shrink after installation.
Wood fiber has a special quality to trap moisture from a room if the humidity is high and return it when humidity decreases. A significant disadvantage is the high cost of such a fiber due to the complexity of manufacturing.
- Foam rubber is a good hydro-, noise- and heat insulator, which is often used as a heater in the iron entrance doors. It is very elastic and resilient. The main drawback of foam rubber is its fragility. His service period is about 3 years. Also, this material is highly flammable and, during combustion, emits toxic substances, since toxic components are used in its production.
- Isolon is much more expensive than foam, but its characteristics are much better. It is moisture resistant and has good sound insulation. This material is independent of temperature changes and also does not lend itself to chemical influences. Isolon is completely harmless to others.
Based on this, when purchasing a heater for a door, all its qualities must be taken into account.
It is not necessary to choose a heat-insulating material because of its low cost, because excellent characteristics directly depend on its price.
Insulation of metal doors
As a rule, an iron door is placed at the entrance. It can be purchased or made with your own hands from the corner. Nowadays, already insulated door systems are sold, but there are also those that allow cold to enter the room, because the design without insulation does not keep heat.
There are no special rules for the thermal insulation of the entrance iron door, everything is quite simple here and you do not need any specific abilities and special tools. It is possible to do everything yourself and budget:
- If the structure is disassembled, it is necessary to remove the casing from the side of the apartment.
- Then stick insulation to the outer plane using liquid nails or glue.
- After installing and fixing the inner door leaf.
In case the door is not folding, you have to do something different:
- From the inside, around the entire perimeter of the canvas, you will have to fasten the bars of wood to get a box. Note that its height should be no more than the height of the insulation.
- Attach a heat insulator between the bars and close using a fiberboard sheet. It is important and to screw it correctly from the bottom so that a perfectly smooth surface comes out.
- At the end, you can paint the door or decorate with upholstery. It is also acceptable to use laminated fiberboard.
For thermal insulation of a metal door, it is recommended to use foam.
Insulation of wooden doors
A wooden door looks very impressive and retains heat much better than an iron one. But over time, the tree begins to dry, and cold air can enter the house. If you have aspirations and abilities, then it is possible to fix these defects with your own hands. You will need a sealant that needs to be glued around the entire perimeter to eliminate gaps.
Before, quite often the method of warming the entrance wooden doors using upholstery materials: leather or dermantine was used.
Now this method is used very rarely, but if you still want to fit your door that way, you need to buy upholstery material. The size of the door leaf should be 25-30 cm larger than the door. The following steps:
- Next, remove the door and lay it on a straight plane.
- Remove the lock, the handle and the peephole and lay out the heat insulator on the door surface. You can use sintepon, foam rubber, felt or cotton wool.
- In the center and in the corners of the door, fasten it with nails or a stapler for furniture.
- Lay the upholstery on top and bending it inwards around the perimeter, carefully nail. It is recommended to retreat about 20 cm from the clove to the clove.
- To make the door more beautiful, pull a ribbon between them to form a diamond-shaped braid.
Thermal insulation of plastic doors
The front door is also a plastic balcony door, which can also pass the cold. This can happen for several reasons, in recognizing which it is possible to decide which method you need to insulate it.
The main reason for getting cold into the apartment is the lack of mounting foam around the door frame and in the place of thresholds. It is possible to get rid of such a defect in an elementary way - you just need to remove the old foam and seal the cracks with foam, thoroughly foaming it.
The next reason is a damaged door seal due to its sagging. In this case, regulation is carried out by professionals, but you can try it yourself. To do this, you need an adjusting hex key.
To align the upper corner, remove the plug from the upper loop and tighten the screw with the key. Do the same to align the bottom corner. In case you need to lift the entire door, tighten the screws of the lower hinge group.
Read more about adjusting and warming a balcony plastic door.
How can I make out beautifully?
The front door is almost the hallmark of any home. She shows the tastes of the owner and his material condition. The door can be decorated differently on both sides, so that on the one hand it looks good with interior decoration, and on the outside with the skin of the house.
Entrance doors can be made of wood, plastic, metal, and can also have glass inserts. More unusual options are finished using faux leather, pieces of genuine leather or stone. Some lovers of glamor adorn their canvases with precious stones and crystals.
In addition to external attractiveness, entrance doors should have such a necessary factor as durability. Reliability and durability are essential for private-sector designs, and anti-vandal coverage is important for multi-unit housing.
You can make the door more attractive and beautiful using certain finishing materials.
Viniplast and laminate
Most often, vinyl trim is used to decorate the entrance doors. This is a two-layer panel made of fiberboard with a PVC film applied to it. Over the years, vinyl plastic fades, as it is easily exposed to ultraviolet light. Also, he practically does not protect the canvas from external influences . At temperatures below 20 degrees, the film exfoliates and becomes cracked. But the main plus of vinyl plastic is a huge number of drawings and shades.
Some manufacturers of vinyl plastic use a coating of anti-vandal plastic. In this case, a large number of advantages appear: the material almost does not scratch, does not fade and becomes waterproof. Thanks to this, it becomes possible to use doors with this coating in private homes. Also, an anti-vandal coating can imitate literally any surface.
Another common plastic coating is a laminate (hardboard panels with a thin film applied to them). It is simple and unpretentious to use.
With a huge selection of tones and various textures, the laminate is suitable for any interior decoration. A rather significant disadvantage is its fragility, so many refuse to use doors with such a coating in country houses.
Wood flooring needs no introduction. It stands out for its reliability, but always looks elite and relevant. Some types of such finishes can make a door a real masterpiece. For decoration, various types of wood are used, such as oak, wenge, walnut, etc.
Cheaper doors are called veneered. This is the base of MDF or particleboard, covered with a thin wood layer - veneer. Its texture is quite attractive and it is often given shades of natural wood. Doors with wooden or plastic trim have auxiliary thermal insulation, so they rarely freeze.
The entrance doors are also very elegantly and extraordinarily mosaic.
Having made the decision to insulate the entrance doors, take into account all the subtleties:
- Find a cold spot.
- After that, decide which method of insulation you will use: door upholstery or closing holes. It is best to apply both methods.
- Inspect the entire door. It is likely that replacement of the blade is necessary.
- When insulating the door, do not lose sight of other structural elements.
- If you decide to put a second door for insulation, take care of its beauty.
- Taking into account these steps, focused on the thermal insulation of doors, your home will always be warm and comfortable.
Good examples and options
Let's look at the ideas for warming the front doors described in this article:
- Door insulation with dermantine, decorated with diamonds.
- A variant of a door made of natural wood for a country house.
- This model is also suitable for a country house. It is distinguished by its elegance and high cost. Made of veneer, and decorated with a glass insert.
- For door insulation genuine leather is used. Very beautiful and harmonious option.
- And finally, the doors are finished with laminate. They look solid enough and reliable.