During operation of the washing machine, situations may arise when the washing cycle does not end and water remains inside the appliance. Before you understand why the machine broke down, it is important to learn how to drain the water. This can be done forcibly in several ways. It is possible to free the equipment from water manually and using emergency draining of residues.
Causes of the problem
The need to drain water from a washing machine may arise in several cases. Water can remain inside not only in a situation where the machine is broken, but also for other reasons.
- Too much laundry. Each machine can accommodate a certain number of things, which is indicated in its technical passport. If the hostess puts the laundry in the drum above the norm, the water sensor will not be able to correctly determine its content in the tank, so the control module will not give a command to drain the liquid.
- The drainage system is clogged. If clogging occurs in any element of this system, water will not normally be removed during washing. To identify the problem, you must first inspect the drain hose and sewer, then - the filter and rubber pipes.
- The drain pump is out of order. It will not start if a breakdown of its electric motor occurs. To detect a malfunction, the pump is removed, and the motor winding is checked by a tester. Typically, such pumps are non-separable, so in the event of a breakdown, you will have to change the assembly completely.
- Defective sensor that detects the water level. If it does not work, the electronic unit will not receive information about the presence of water, therefore, the drain will not start. The sensor may not work well due to a blockage in the tube that connects it to the washing tub. After cleaning such a tube, work is restored. If the sensor check indicates that it has failed, it should be replaced.
- The control module is malfunctioning. If there is any malfunction in the software or electronic components are out of order, the water will not drain, since the drain system will not receive the desired command. With such a breakdown, you will need the help of a qualified craftsman who will replace the necessary parts or the entire control module.
- The heater failed. With such a malfunction, the machine can stop operation during rinsing. Light bulbs or error symbols on the scoreboard will help to detect the problem. As soon as the heater is replaced, the device will begin to work in its usual mode.
Forced draining of water is possible by several methods, but not all of them are suitable for all models of washing machines and not all can be implemented in certain conditions. In addition, there is always a risk of a "flood", even if all actions are correct. It is also important to remember the safety precaution, according to which the first action after detecting a stop of the washing process with a delay in draining the water should be to disconnect the machine from the network.
Before work, prepare a few rags, a basin, and a flat screwdriver. There are several ways to flush the water off the washing machine.
- Through the drain hose. Such a detail is found in all washing machines without exception, therefore, it is possible to ensure the outflow of liquid with its help in case of any breakdown. Having revealed that the water has remained inside the machine, first of all, it is necessary to examine the drain hose (make sure that it is not clogged, there are no excesses). After disconnecting the hose from the sewer, lower its end into the basin as low as possible so that the water merges on its own. This option is not suitable for all washing machines.
Some manufacturers, including Siemens and Bosch, equip their devices with internal protection against draining water (this is indicated in the instructions, so check this point in the documentation before unscrewing the drain hose).
- Using the emergency hose. This method of getting rid of water is only available if the emergency hose is available in the design of your device (it is not available on all models of automatic machines). Usually it is located in the lower compartment on the front side. Pulling out the hose and freeing it from the plug, lower the free part into the basin. The diameter of such a part is usually small, so the process will take some time, but the water will fall exactly into the substituted container.
- Through the drain filter. You will find it by opening the bottom panel. Such an element of the machine is designed to protect the drain pump from possible clogging, for example, if some objects are left in the trouser pockets or buttons are torn off during washing. Through this filter, you can also forcefully drain the water. After removing the panel, you should reject the machine to substitute a basin under it. After that, turn the filter knob, pull the filter towards you and drain the water. With this method, water often falls not only into the basin, but also onto the floor, so the rest should be removed with a rag.
- Manually through the hatch. This way you can drain the water only when the door is not locked. Then you can open it and scoop out the liquid from the drum manually using a bucket or mug.
If there is a lot of water in the machine, open the door by tilting the device back. This method is not entirely convenient and also does not help to get rid of water completely.
- Through the drain pipe. This element of the machine is located under the drum. To get to it, you should remove the back wall of the device (in some cars - the side). For this reason, this method of getting rid of water is rarely used if the previous methods did not help. Substituting a basin and rags under the nozzle, disconnect it from the pump and drain the water. If a blockage is detected, it must be eliminated, and then the water itself will merge into the basin. Before installing the pipe back, be sure to inspect it - if there is any damage, the element must be replaced.
If water remains inside the machine because too many clothes are loaded in it, you need to stop washing, wait until the sunroof lock is turned off, remove some things, and then start washing further.
Recommendations of specialists
To prevent malfunctions in which water stops draining from the machine, you can follow simple safety precautions.
- Checking pockets of clothes while loading things into the device. It is especially important to remove any metal items before washing, for example: keys, coins, rings or paper clips.
- Checking the strength of fastening zippers and buttons. Before you put clothes in the drum, be sure to fasten the snake or buttons.
- Cleaning things from visible dirt. After inspecting clothing before loading, clean sand, threads, dust, and similar dirt.
- Regularly check the condition of the filters. You need to clean the drain system with the frequency recommended by the manufacturer of your equipment. If the laundry is worn or with a pile, the filter should be cleaned immediately after washing.
Compliance with such instructions in many cases allows you to prevent situations where water needs to be drained forcibly from the tank. But you cannot completely insure yourself against such cases, so it is important to know in advance what are the possible options for action.
As you can see, the task of draining water from the machine in case of breakage is not so difficult, so many can cope with it on their own. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to call a master who will quickly drain the water, determine the cause of the problem, repair the machine and give a guarantee for your work.
See how to drain the water, see below.