The abbreviation AKG belonged to an Austrian company, which was founded in Vienna and since 1947 was engaged in the production of headphones and microphones intended for domestic use, as well as used in professional fields. Translated from German, the phrase Akustische und Kino-Geräte literally means “Acoustic and film equipment”. Over time, the Austrian company gained worldwide popularity with its high-quality products and became part of the large Harman International Industries concern, which, in turn, became the property of Samsung, a world-famous South Korean concern, in 2016.
Despite belonging to a corporation of world importance, AKG remained faithful to its established principles of work and maintaining high quality. The manufacturer does not set a goal to keep up with fashion trends and continues to develop and produce high-end audio headphones, whose quality was appreciated by experts around the world.
The peculiarity of AKG products is that the manufacturer is not interested in releasing a mass-market product. Among its models there are no cheap base options. The company's image is built on a high level of production, so when buying AKG headphones, you can be sure that their quality is fully consistent with their value. Any model can be safely recommended even to the most demanding user.
Despite the high price segment, AKG headphones have a fairly high customer demand. Today, the company has modern models - vacuum headphones. Their price range is diverse, but the most inexpensive model has a cost of 65,000 rubles. In addition to this novelty, new studio headphones and household series of models, designed for lovers of volumetric and even distribution of sound waves, were released.
Adhering to its traditions and preferences, AKG does not use the wireless type Bluetooth in version 5 in its headphones. In addition, it was impossible to find fully wireless True wireless models that lacked wires and jumpers among the group's products until 2019.
No matter which headset equips the AKG headphones, they all have clarity and sound quality. The manufacturer provides the buyer with a large selection of products of his company, there are both wired and wireless models.
By their design, the lineup of headphones should be divided into several types.
- In-ear headphones - designed to be placed inside the auricle, where they are fixed using removable ear pads. This is a household device, and due to the fact that it does not have the properties of complete isolation, sound quality is inferior to professional models. They can look like droplets.
- Intra - channel - the device is located in the auricle, but compared to the in-ear headphones, this model has better sound insulation and sound transmission, since the fit inside the model’s ear is deeper. Models equipped with special silicone inserts are called vacuum ones.
- Overhead - used on the outer surface of the ear. Fixation is carried out using hooks for each ear or using a single arc. This type of device transmits sound better than in-channel or in-ear headphones.
- Full-size - the device provides isolation near the ear, completely covering it. Closed headphones can significantly increase the quality of the transmitted sound.
- Monitor - another version of closed headphones with acoustics of a higher level than the usual full-size version. These devices are also called studio headphones; they can be equipped with a microphone.
Certain models can be complete, that is, contain an additional headset in the form of different-sized ear pads.
Headphones that have an audio cable that connects to the sound source belong to the wired group. The choice of AKG wired headphones is extensive, and new products appear annually. Consider several options for wired headphones as an example.
Full-size studio headphones, open-type wired device, a modern professional option. The model gained popularity among connoisseurs of pure full-fledged sound and found application in the field of music and sound directing.
The device has a dynamic driver with parameters of 53 mm, operates at frequencies from 5 to 54000 hertz, the sensitivity level is 110 decibels. The headphones have a 3-meter cable, the cable plug is gold-plated, its diameter is 3.5 mm. If necessary, you can use the adapter, the diameter of which is 6.3 mm. The weight of the headphones is 385 grams. The cost of various suppliers varies from 70 to 105 000 rubles.
Hybrid vacuum headphones equipped with a microphone - an open-type wired device, a modern household option. The device is designed for the behind-the-ear type of wearing, the hooks are 2 hooks. The kit includes: a replaceable set of 3 pairs of ear pads, a replaceable sound filter for low-frequency bass sounds, the cable can be disconnected.
The device is equipped with a microphone, the sensitivity level is 116 decibels, it operates at frequencies from 20 to 40,000 hertz . The cable length is 120 cm, at its end there is a gold-plated connector, the diameter of which is 3.5 mm. The device can be synced with the iPhone. The cost of this model varies from 13 to 18 000 rubles.
Monitor-type on-ear headphones - an open device with a wired connection type. Pretty popular among professionals model. The device is equipped with comfortable velvet ear pads, the arc uniting both earphones has the ability to be adjusted. Thanks to the flat winding of the sound transmitter coil and the two-layer diaphragm, sound is transmitted with great accuracy and clarity.
The device is equipped with a removable cable, the length of which is 3 m. At the end of the cable there is a connector with a diameter of 3.5 mm; if necessary, an adapter with a diameter of 6.3 mm can be used. It operates at frequencies from 10 to 39800 hertz, has a sensitivity of 105 decibels. The weight of the headphones is 235 grams, the cost varies from 11 to 17,000 rubles.
Modern models of headphones can perform their functions without the use of wires. Their construct is most often based on the use of Bluetooth. In the AKG line of models there are many such devices.
Overhead dynamic wireless headphones. The device is equipped with a built-in battery and microphone, but despite this, it can take quite compact dimensions due to the possibility of folding. The control system is placed on the right side of the device.
Headphones can be synchronized with your smartphone and, in addition to listening to music, you can also answer calls.
The device supports the option of Bluetooth 3.0 version. The battery is quite capacious - 1000 mAh. It operates at frequencies from 16 to 24000 hertz, has a sensitivity of 113 decibels. Compared with wired models, the sound transmission speed of wireless headphones is lagging behind, which may not appeal to particularly demanding experts. The color of the device may be gray, black or blue. The price varies from 11 to 13 000 rubles.
On-ear dynamic half-open wireless headphones with built-in Bluetooth, battery and microphone. If the battery runs out, you can use the headphones by using a removable cable. The control buttons are traditionally located on the right side of the device, and on the left side there is a USB port through which you can synchronize with your smartphone or tablet.
Operating time without recharging is 7-8 hours, operates at frequencies from 17 to 20,000 hertz. The device has a sensitivity of 120 decibels. Headphones have a restrained and stylish design, their design itself is quite reliable. The cups are small in size, comfortable to wear. The cost varies from 9 to 12,000 rubles.
Wireless Headphones - This device is located inside the auricles. In-ear headphones are available in 4 color options: black, blue, turquoise and pink. A battery is located on one side of the wire-rim, and a control unit on the other. This allows you to balance the design. The kit includes interchangeable ear pads.
To connect to the sound source, the device has built-in Bluetooth version 4.2, but today this version is already considered obsolete.
Headphones have the ability to mute sound at the touch of a button. This is done so that the user, if necessary, can better navigate the environment.
Without recharging, the device works for 7-8 hours at frequencies from 20 to 20,000 hertz, the weight of the structure is 24 grams, the cost is 7,500 rubles.
Headphone model selection always depends on subjective preferences. Professionals believe that appearance and aesthetics are not the main thing in such devices. High-quality headphones will form the necessary spatial volume between your ear and the cup of the structure, which is necessary for the full transmission and reception of sound waves.
When choosing, it is recommended to pay attention to several important criteria.
- The sound of high frequencies and bass - it is beneficial for the manufacturer to indicate overstated indicators of the range of perceived frequencies, although in reality such a value may not correspond to reality. You can determine the true sound only during testing. It is important to remember that the higher the level of high-frequency sound in the headphones, the cleaner and more voluminous you will listen to the bass.
- Headphone microdynamics - this is followed by a definition of how quiet signals, overtones sound in the device. When listening to different models, you determine that there are models that give the maximum, peak signal. But there are options that catch the quiet nuances - most often it will be an analog sound. The quality of microdynamics depends not only on the diaphragm of the dynamics, but also on the thickness of the membrane. AKG models use the patented double membrane model, so they have high quality sound.
- Soundproofing level - it is impossible to achieve 100% complete isolation of sound from the outside world and blocking access to sound from headphones is 100% impossible. But you can get closer to the standard by means of a tight fit of the earphone cups. Sound insulation also depends on the weight of the structure and the quality of the material from which it is made. Soundproofing is worse if the structure is made of only one plastic.
- Structural strength - the use of iron and ceramics, swivel joints, reinforced grooves of plugs and connectors affect not only comfort, but also the durability of the device. Most often, the most thoughtful construct is found in wired studio models with a removable cable.
The choice of headphones, in addition to design and comfort, also depends on the purpose of their use. The device can be used for professional sound recording or ordinary listening to music at home. At the same time, the requirements for sound quality and a set of options for the consumer will be different. In addition, it may be important for the user that his headphones are suitable for the phone, so that in the process of listening you can be distracted and answer calls.
Depending on the level of headphones, the price will vary. It makes no sense to pay for an expensive studio device if you use it only at home.
AKG brand headphones are used by DJs, professional music artists, sound engineers and directors, as well as music lovers who appreciate pure and surround sound. These devices are convenient to use, their design is reliable and durable, many models have the ability to fold to compact sizes, which is very convenient during transportation.
Studying the reviews of professional and ordinary consumers of AKG products, we can conclude that the headphones of this brand today are the flagships that set the bar for all other manufacturers.
In its developments, the company does not strive for fashion trends - it produces only what is truly high quality and reliable. For this reason, the high cost of their products is fully justified and has long ceased to cause confusion among real professionals and competent sophisticated users.
A review of the studio headphones AKG K712pro, AKG K240 MkII and AKG K271 MkII see below.