Paint is one of the ways to protect the top layer of metal from destruction. However, not all such products can withstand the harsh conditions of use of products. Therefore, manufacturers are trying to improve products by regularly releasing new modifications of the compositions on the market. Particular attention should be paid to hammer paints that can easily withstand temperature extremes and mechanical stress.
Hammer paint is a nitro-based polymer mixture. When the film freezes on the surface of the product, peculiar dents form on it. The effect of hammer blow on metal is created. This explains the name of the tool.
Manufacturers add several more main components to the solution:
- Metal powder. In most cases, copper or aluminum is used in the production.
- Glass fine fraction. This component forms a texture on the surface after solidification.
- Aluminum flakes. They form a unique texture on the surface.
- Silicone or alkyd resins. They repel water well, preventing it from seeping under the protective film.
- Technical wax. After solidification, this component forms a protective layer.
Please note that a similar effect is observed when applying special powder paints. However, the cost of this process is quite high, since it requires the use of special equipment. Therefore, many prefer hammer paints, which are easy to apply under normal conditions.
Today, hammer paints are widely used in construction.
This is due to the numerous advantages of such compounds:
- Resistance to temperature extremes and climatic irritants. Almost all types of hammer paints easily tolerate temperatures up to +80 degrees.
- The mixture is universal, since it can cover not only metals, but also other materials.
- Paint is easy to apply without the use of specialized tools. For this, standard rollers or brushes are used. Some manufacturers produce compositions in the form of aerosol cans. Please note that some types of paints can be applied even if there is a strong wind outside.
- The drying period of the mixture does not exceed 2 hours. But the film acquires its absolute strength only after 24 hours after application.
- The products are environmentally friendly. When painting solutions do not emit caustic and harmful odors.
- The service life of the protective film can reach 8 years, which is difficult to achieve with other formulations.
- Resistance to mechanical damage. This is due to the fact that the material is plastic even after drying. Peeling off part of the film is quite difficult.
However, such paints may not always be the optimal solution.
This is due to several significant disadvantages:
- High price. The price of hammer paints exceeds the cost of similar materials (enamels) several times.
- Difficulty applying. To get a strong and durable coating, you should strictly follow the recommendations of specialists when painting.
- The difficulty of withdrawing. Removing a layer of hammer paint is quite difficult. Therefore, it is recommended that you carefully select the color if you plan to apply it with a top coat.
Where are used?
Hammer paints have unique technical characteristics.
Today they are used in various sectors of the economy:
- Industry. The composition is used for painting machines, structures and mechanisms. It is also the best choice as a protection for the enclosures of various electrical systems (electrical panels, etc.).
- Automotive industry. Many types of discs, bodies, as well as other metal parts of automobiles are coated with hammer paint. This allows you to extend their service life by several times.
- Building sector. Here, with the help of this tool, metal structures are protected from corrosion.
- Painting forged fences to give them an aging effect, as well as to prevent the likelihood of corrosion processes.
- Metal furniture manufacturing. In most cases, hammer solutions are used to paint entrance doors, safes and other similar products.
- Advertising industry. The compounds perfectly protect metal structures, and are also used to create a decorative effect on various types of plastic or glass.
Hammer paints have unique technical characteristics. At the same time, substances are constantly being improved, gaining new improved properties. Today on the market there are several major brands of this type of paint.
- ML-165. Paint refers to enamels, the main component of which is alkyd-styrene substances. Among the positive properties of the material, heat resistance can be distinguished. The paint does not lose its original properties with direct exposure to temperatures no higher than 130 degrees. As a protective layer, the product can be used on almost any type of surface.
- EP-1323 ME. Epoxy enamel, combining the properties of paint and primer mixes. A unique product that is mainly used for coating metals that are susceptible to external influences (truck cranes, forklifts, fences, etc.). Paint can be applied over rust, which eliminates surface pretreatment.
- NTs 221. This paint has a low price. It is used as a decorative coating. The quality of protection here is much worse than the previously considered modifications. However, the composition can withstand external climatic conditions. It can also be used indoors.
- Hammerite. This type of hammer paint is the most expensive and high quality. Suitable for covering various products. The product can also be applied over rust.
The main objective of hammer paint is the protection of metal surfaces. Initially, manufacturers did not pay attention to the color palette of the product, since they considered this moment secondary.
However, today paint is produced in different shades, among which one can distinguish such primary colors:
- the black;
Please note that many manufacturers produce compounds that may resemble the colors of wood, natural stone, etc.
However, the structure of such paint is not always suitable for decorating surfaces.
The modern market is saturated with hammer paints. The popularity of the product explains the appearance of numerous low-quality fakes.
Experts recommend giving preference only to well-known brands, among which several manufacturing companies can be distinguished:
- Hammerite. Some types of paints can be applied to galvanized metals only after they have been primed with special solutions.
- Dali The compounds are intended for application to metals (galvanizing, etc.), wood and plastic.
The compositions of these grades are characterized by high adhesion to metals, which allows them to be applied even over rust. According to reviews, paints are well resistant to moisture, as well as direct exposure to oils. Some varieties are able to withstand weak alkalis and acids on the surface.
Another good option is spray paint from Kudo.
Users note that it can be easily applied in almost any inaccessible place.
How to choose?
A variety of hammer paints often leads to doubts when buying a product. To choose the right solution, you should pay attention to several factors.
- Application Method. The most popular are liquid solutions. To apply them, use rollers or brushes. Some manufacturers produce compositions in cans. Their price is slightly higher than the cost of a standard modification product. Usually they are used when you need to get a uniform layer of paint, as well as if you need to fill hard-to-reach spots with paint.
- Destination Hammer paints are used as protective products. However, many of them require preliminary cleaning of metal or other material in order to increase adhesion. There are special modifications that are easy to apply to rust. These products combine a primer and regular enamel. It is also important to pay attention to what substances the composition is intended for. Hammer paints always work with metals, but they cannot always set with wood, glass or plastic.
- Physical and chemical characteristics. These parameters allow you to choose a composition that can withstand not only high temperatures, but also a relatively aggressive environment.
How to apply
Hammer paint technology consists of several successive steps.
- Surface preparation. Before applying the solution, thoroughly clean the metal from grease stains, and also remove the peeling layers of the previous coating. New metal structures must be pre-treated with sandpaper or a grinding machine. Minor damage will increase the adhesion of the solution and base.
Please note that all products from non-ferrous metals must be primed with special solutions before painting.
If this is aluminum, then it is also desirable to clean it from the upper protective film, which is formed during the oxidation of the metal.
- Painting. This process can be carried out in various ways. The easiest option is to use a brush. The algorithm for applying hammer paint with this tool is no different from conventional painting. Experts recommend using a brush for small segments. It is better to paint even surfaces with a roller. It is important to ensure that the canvas is placed horizontally. This will allow the paint to spread evenly. Do not dip the roller into the solution; it is better to water the tool with a mixture. Foam for soaking is undesirable to use, since its paint simply “corrodes”.
The easiest way is to use aerosol cans or spray guns. Using such tools, the composition is applied in several thin layers. The interval between the stages of painting should be about 20 minutes. Using an aerosol, direct the jet at right angles to the surface to be painted.
If you want to get the most reliable protection, then all subsequent layers should be applied after the film has gained full strength (1-2 weeks).
See how to apply hammer paint properly in the next video.