Laminate wall decoration will undoubtedly add charm and originality to any room. This is a fairly simple process, and it is quite possible to do it yourself, without resorting to the help of specialists.
Advantages and disadvantages
The use of laminate for wall decoration has its pros and cons.
The advantages include the following parameters:
- excellent strength of the material (panels can serve more than one decade, while maintaining an aesthetic appearance);
- environmental friendliness;
- a light weight;
- a huge selection of colors and textures;
- price (inexpensive panels can be purchased for walls);
- the ability to finish the walls with your own hands, without hiring craftsmen.
The disadvantages of laminate wall decoration are few:
- high requirements for the preparation of walls before coating the laminate. The walls should be perfectly flat, or the installation of a battens is necessary;
- low resistance to changes in temperature and humidity.
How to choose?
Due to the variety of color choices and textures, a wall laminate for interior wall decoration can be used in any room.
When selecting material, you need to determine what functions, in addition to decoration, will be performed by the wall coating. As a rule, this is the alignment of the wall and the creation of a stylish updated design.
To cover the walls, a laminate from 21 to 34 resistance classes is suitable. It is better to select the material in accordance with the functional purpose of a room.
If there are pets in the house, then it is recommended to purchase more budget models so that in case of damage to the coating there is an opportunity to replace it.
Laminated panels should match the style and color of the interior of the room. For small and narrow rooms, you should not choose a dark wall covering, it is better to stay in light shades. For example, a white coating will refresh the room and make it visually spacious. A light wall laminate is recommended to be combined with a light floor covering.
After the color of the material is selected, it is determined with the method of attachment. The most common ones are:
- With glue. The panels can be glued with liquid nails or silicone glue to the wall surface. Glue needs to be chosen high-quality so that it reliably holds panels on the wall. This is the easiest mounting option;
- Wireframe method. The installation of the laminate is carried out on a wooden crate. Wooden slats should be 4 * 4 cm. The gap between the rails should be no more than 6 cm. The slats should be perpendicular to the slats.
The wireframe method is the most reliable, but time-consuming. It does not require preliminary preparation of the wall. This type of fastening is also suitable for situations where under the wall covering you need to mask the electrical wiring, pipes or other communications.
How to fix it?
Mounting is possible not only with the previously indicated methods. There is another fairly simple method - laying with kleimers. These are special brackets for mounting laminated planks on walls. Kleimers come in two varieties:
- With serrated protrusions. They are mounted directly on the board;
- With a flat ledge. Needed to press the click lock.
In the frame method of attachment, nails, staples and metal clips are used. If the perimeter of the coverage area is small, then the first two options can be used. If the area is large, then it is more reliable to fix the panels with clips, since over time the laminate can change dimensions.
The following tools are useful for installation: electric jigsaw, tape measure, building level, putty knife, wooden blocks, hammer.
DIY wall decoration technology:
- Calculate the required amount of laminate, it is advisable to purchase it with a margin;
- It is impossible to carry out the installation process on curves, uneven walls, so they are pre-cleaned, plastered, dried. Or prepare the crate. Also, another possible option is to lay the laminate on your own from a drywall wall. Drywall in this case must be securely connected to the wall.
- Determine the place from which the laying of the first laminated panel will begin. This is usually the upper left corner.
- The panels themselves are mounted directly. If the adhesive method is chosen, then liquid nails or silicone glue is applied to the back side of the strip and fixed by pressing for a short period of time. If the frame method is selected, then fixation is carried out using nails or kleimers.
- After installing the laminate, decorative plinths are installed. They close the distance between the wall, ceiling or floor.
Laminated panels are fixed to the wall horizontally, vertically or diagonally. It is possible to choose one of these options based on the design features and complexity of execution.
The horizontal method is ideal for narrow rooms and is able to visually expand the space. Looks beautiful with a combination of two colors. If the wall is vertically sheathed, this way you can increase the height of the room. This method is suitable for apartments or houses with low ceilings.
The diagonal version of the wall cladding will make the room stylish and unusual. But this method is the most complex and requires more consumption of boards.
In the event that you decide to lay the laminate on a concrete wall painted with a water-based emulsion, there is a risk that the laminated planks will weakly adhere and after a while will fall off. Therefore, it is recommended to pre-clean the old paint coat, remove the putty and plaster, and prime the surface.
How to crop?
In order for the laminated coating to harmoniously blend into the interior of the room, it is important, in addition to observing the installation technology, to know how and with what to cut the laminate. For example, using an electric jigsaw, you can simply cut the panels. The main thing is to choose the right file for him.
There are several rules for cutting laminated boards:
- From the back, draw a line with a pencil in the place of the cut;
- Next, lay the product on the table in such a way that the part that will be cut off is on weight;
- Then firmly fix the board and saw off in the required place.
Cutting the material can also be done with a circular saw, but at the same time use a disk for working on metal. It is more difficult to work with this tool than with a jigsaw. When sawing, the laminate is laid face down.
Such a tool as a grinder is available for many owners in the pantry or utility room. The grinder is successfully used for cutting laminate. The only drawback when working with this tool is the appearance of a large amount of dust during cutting.
How much to retreat from the wall?
Laminated products tend to increase in size in contact with humidity and temperature extremes, so during installation you need to leave a margin of at least 1.5-2 cm from the corners. To maintain such a distance when laying with spacer wedges is quite difficult, so you can place a board or other improvised material below similar thickness. In the case of mounting on glue, the board is wrapped in a layer of a special film, and wedges are used on the sides. After installation, the indentation is covered with skirting boards.
Which side to put?
It is recommended to fix the laminate starting from the left side of the wall, which is opposite to the entrance, and move to the right from it. Thus, it is convenient to dock the material. But in case the installer is left-handed, then installation begins on the other side of the room.
How to close the gap against the wall?
There are times when cracks form between the laminate and the wall.
There are several ways to remove a large gap:
- Buy a wide baseboard in a hardware store or make it yourself;
- Disassemble the cover and move it;
- Cut a thin strip from the same laminate and seal the gap;
- Bend the existing baseboard.
But the last option should be used extremely carefully so as not to damage the baseboard.
When a wall is finished with a laminate, where there is a doorway, then the platbands should be removed before installation. When laying the product, its edges should not be in contact with the corners of the walls, floor and ceiling, but a gap should remain. External corners can be closed with decorative corners.
How to make a highlight?
Illumination of walls is an interesting way to create a unique design in the room. Lighting devices for walls can serve as an independent source of lighting, as well as an additional one. You can do the installation of the lighting of the wall covering yourself. This is pretty fast and not too expensive for the budget.
To install the backlight you will need: a laminate, LED lamps, a screwdriver, a building level, a jigsaw, glue, fasteners, adhesive tape.
Steps for setting the backlight:
- First of all, it is necessary to mark the location of the lamps on the wall. It is necessary to think over the layout so that only light is visible, not wires.
- Next, conduct the cable according to the compiled scheme, fixing it with holders. The cable is recommended to be carried out from the outlet in order to correctly calculate its length.
- Now install the LEDs, laminate. The strips are divided into parts and glued in the direction from the bottom up. The upper panels will press on the lower, so you need to wait for the glue to dry. Fix them with tape and other fasteners.
- The next step is to connect the power. This completes the installation of the backlight.
How to stack the last row?
To correctly lay out the last row of the laminate, it is necessary to mark the sawed place, saw it and insert it with a comb into the panel mounted below, and fix the upper edge with liquid nails or silicone to the frame.
How to close the end?
In order to close the end when decorating the walls, you can use aluminum laminated corners. They act as protection against damage, and as a decorative element. Corners are made in a wide range of colors, so choosing the right shade is not difficult. Fix them with elastic glue.
How to attach the baseboard to the floor?
Skirting is considered one of the main details in the interior. Thanks to skirting boards, you can hide defects and gaps on the coating. Currently, the most common are plastic and wooden skirting boards.
Wooden models are environmentally friendly, but their useful life is short. Plastic can last for many years, while maintaining an aesthetic appearance. PVC skirting boards are ideal for laminate flooring. They are easy to cut, they are wear-resistant and moisture-resistant and are inexpensive at the same time.
You can fix them in several ways:
- Using liquid nails. This is the best way for rooms with even walls and corners. If the angles are uneven, then the skirting board will not hold;
- Using clips. This option is suitable for any room. The only drawback of the clips is that in case of dismantling the baseboard, you need to buy new fasteners, since the clips do not withstand repeated installations;
- Mount directly. The baseboard is fixed with screws. Mounting points are masked with plugs matched to color. This method of installing skirting boards is the most reliable.
Plinth installation is the final stage of decoration. The baseboard must be selected for the design of the room. It is important to try to minimize the number of joints. Clearances must be repaired to reduce the risk of dirt and dust getting into them.
When working with skirting boards, you need to consider the parameters of the grooves in the connecting parts in order to correctly determine the size of the strips. Mounting points must be chosen so that there is an absolute fit to the wall.
Interior Design Options
A wide selection of laminated products allows you to realize completely different design ideas for rooms.
For example, the use of a laminate in the hallway as a finishing material for walls will improve sound insulation. This material is perfectly cleaned from traces of dirt, which is very important for the corridor. Lining the corridor with laminate has become popular due to the durability and wear resistance of the material.
In the corridor, you can select separate zones using various shades or create a contrast between the wall and the ceiling. Completely laminate walls, as a rule, are not sheathed.
If you decide to finish the walls with laminated panels inside the balcony and loggia, then you need to remember about humidity and temperature changes. Therefore, it is worth choosing a laminate with a high resistance class. They can completely cover all the walls, or can be combined with other finishing materials.
Another original solution is to use laminate flooring at the head of the bed in the bedroom. In the bedroom, you can use material of any class, since there are no strong temperature extremes.
Harmoniously, the material will look if you choose textiles for the bedroom in the same color. The design of one of the walls looks beautiful with a white laminate in combination with a light brown flooring. The installation of lighting on the wall at the head of the bed will also add a twist to the interior. Laminate, moving from wall to ceiling, will transform such an important place in an apartment or house as a bedroom.
In the living room in the apartment, the use of a laminate for wall covering is also widely used. They can be allocated a certain part of the room or, for example, only a zone for a TV and a fireplace. The living room looks elegant in which a laminate and other coatings, such as stone, are combined. You can use gray shades of aged wood.
A wide range of laminated panels makes it possible to use them in the bathroom. Due to constant humidity and temperature spikes, it is recommended that a waterproof laminate be preferred. In this room you can use absolutely any color palette. An interesting option is to highlight the shortest wall in the bathroom with a laminate.
Finishing the attic with a laminate is the best solution. Most often this is an unheated room, so it is important to lay thermal insulation when installing walls. If you set the backlight in the panel, then, in addition to an interesting decor, this will be additional lighting for the attic.
In case you have chosen wall decoration with a laminate in the kitchen, then you should opt for panels above 23 class. There are a lot of design options in the kitchen. You can purchase a stone or wood coating. Typically, in a kitchen, a kitchen apron or one of the walls is isolated. You can also decorate the finished coating with accessories, for example, a clock or a picture.
See how to lay laminate flooring on a wall in the next video.