To decorate the ceiling in a modern interior, various types of ceiling moldings are often used. In the construction market, there are various types of these finishing products made from various materials. Depending on which molding was chosen for the design, it will be necessary to purchase an adhesive composition for installation work. The choice of such a composition is a crucial step, which largely determines the final result of the appearance of the decorated wall or ceiling surfaces.
What types of glue are there?
The choice of mounting adhesive for fixing the skirting board is determined based on the weight of the part and the material from which it is made. To firmly adhere the molding to the ceiling or wall, you need quick-setting glue, which over time will not lose its properties under the influence of ultraviolet rays , moisture or a drop in temperature conditions. You can fix the baseboard to the surface to be decorated using various quick-drying compositions, but you should be aware that so-called liquid nails are suitable for smooth molding surfaces, and styrofoam adhesive is used for working with porous surfaces.
If you use adhesive means without taking into account the structure of the molding, the result may disappoint you, and the decorative elements themselves will sag or even peel off.
The most commonly used adhesive compositions for the installation of ceiling skirting boards are divided into groups.
This is the most common type of adhesive, which has a good viscosity, as well as the property of quick solidification. Polymer adhesives are quite resistant to temperature extremes, ranging from positive to negative values, such compositions can work in the range from -60 ° C to + 80 ° C. You can perform installation work with polymer glue both in a warm room and in unheated areas.
Adhesive made from polymers is resistant even to very high humidity, so it is used to fix the ceiling plinth in the bathroom or in the kitchen.
Vapors and condensate are not able to destroy the hitch created by the polymer composition, so such adhesives are appreciated for their high reliability.
As for the cost of such glue, it refers to the budget and average price option. Although it is necessary to take into account that such a product has a certain shelf life, and when it comes to an end, trading companies reduce its price in order to quickly sell goods on the shelves. Using expired adhesives is not recommended.
By versatility, the polymer product is very convenient. With it, you can glue moldings made of polyvinyl chloride, polyurethane, polystyrene. Such a composition does not corrode the surface of the decor and provides it with good adhesion.
This type of adhesive composition is universal, it is suitable for fillets of any type made of any type of material. Liquid nails quickly set and securely hold even heavy polyurethane skirtings. The composition of liquid nails is designed in such a way that does not destroy the decorated surface and the molding mounted to it.
Liquid nails come in two forms.
- Acrylic composition is a modern universal adhesive that does not have toxicity to humans during installation, as it includes acrylic and water, but at the same time, the adhesive is not able to withstand the effects of high humidity. For this reason, acrylic liquid nails are not used for the installation of ceiling decor in the bathroom or in the kitchen.
The acrylic adhesive mixture can only be used for installation in warm rooms, since at subzero temperatures the water that is part of the adhesive freezes, and proper adhesion does not occur at the time of installation.
- Neopropylene composition - differs from acrylic in that it has a very sharp and persistent odor. The organic solvents that make up such liquid nails actively evaporate during work and have a toxic effect on the human respiratory system. Installation work using neopropylene adhesive can only be done in rooms with good ventilation ability.
The main advantage of such an adhesive composition is that it can be used for installation at low temperatures and is absolutely resistant to high humidity.
The use of liquid nails is advisable where the surface to be decorated is even and smooth, since these adhesive mixtures do not allow for the correction of small imperfections in the wall or ceiling. Liquid nails can be used for skirting boards made of wood, polyurethane, gypsum or polyvinyl chloride.
To fix the ceiling plinth on the wall, which was previously glued with wallpaper, putty is used, which includes acrylic. This type of adhesive is low cost, it is not difficult to work with it, the decor is fixed very quickly, without requiring a long and strong pressing. Using acrylic putty, you can correct small irregularities and roughness of the wall or ceiling. Working with such an adhesive composition is absolutely safe for humans, since the product does not emit harmful substances into the external environment.
The adhesive mixture of acrylic putty can be used for work with painted surfaces. Before installation, the painted surface is primed twice with a deeply penetrating composition. Acrylic putty is easy to use, you can buy this product in almost any hardware store.
Experienced specialists prefer European goods, but at the same time their price is slightly higher than their Russian counterparts.
Today in Russian construction stores you can find a fairly large assortment of adhesives designed for the installation of ceiling skirting boards. As a rule, such products are universal and serve not only for decoration, but also for other work.
The best options for glue called liquid nails
- Mounting glue Macroflex Mf-910 - this composition is chosen when it is necessary to glue a molding made of wood. The adhesive mixture has high adhesiveness, elasticity and resistance to wet environments. The composition of the adhesive makes it suitable for use in unheated rooms, which does not reduce the quality of high adhesiveness. The mixture quickly solidifies, its consistency makes it possible to correct small surface defects. After the molding has fixed on the wall or ceiling, you will have the opportunity for 1-2 minutes. if necessary, correct it by aligning it in the desired position. The average cost of such glue is 300-350 rubles.
- Glue KRAFTOOL KN-915 - is produced according to the standards of German technology and is used for mounting plinths made of polyvinyl chloride, metal or wood. It is possible to stick moldings with this glue even on top of a previously applied layer of plaster. The solidification time of the composition is declared 10 minutes The glue has a viscous consistency and is convenient to use. This type of adhesive mixture belongs to the group of liquid nails, it is resistant to high humidity and retains its properties under the influence of high temperatures. In addition to good adhesive qualities, the composition also has antiseptic properties. During installation, the adhesive does not emit components harmful to human health and does not smell. The average cost of such a product is 200-250 rubles.
- Universal adhesive “Mastiffix Ultra” Quelud - the composition of the product, made on a water basis without adding solvent, is suitable for mounting a ceiling plinth made of various materials. The glue is safe for human health and odorless. The mixture quickly sets, its holding capacity per 1 meter of the working surface of the molding is at least 150 kg. This universal product has high heat resistance and is suitable for work in both warm and unheated rooms. The average price of this glue is 280-300 rubles.
The best glue options for polyurethane skirting
- Extra-strong adhesive ORAC DECO RFDP-500 - its composition is water-based, therefore, despite good adhesion, the mixture has a long drying time. In the process of installation work, excess glue protruding beyond the borders of the plinth can be easily removed with a soft cloth, but this must be done before the adhesive has dried. Before starting installation work, the surface to be decorated must be well primed. The average cost of the product is 450-550 rubles.
- Europlast glue is an elastic composition that is odorless and not harmful to humans in the process of installation. In addition to gluing moldings, this composition is also used to process their joints. The adhesive composition can work even at low temperature conditions, it is resistant to high humidity and has a high adhesive ability. The glue is packed in 60 ml tubes, its consumption is economical, but the price is high - on average, it is 300-350 rubles.
- Uranus glue - its composition contains rubber and an organic solvent, therefore, during installation, the adhesive composition emits a pungent odor. This product can only be operated with good ventilation in the room. The consistency of the adhesive is viscous, it is painted in a pinkish tint, which creates convenience for removing excess composition during installation. After polymerization, the pink color of the composition disappears. The adhesive composition allows you to create a strong connection of the decor and the working surface with a durable elastic seam. The disadvantage of the adhesive composition is the long time of the final polymerization, as well as the limited temperature regime of not more than + 17 ° C.
When gluing the skirting board to the ceiling or wall, it will require strong pressure, which subsequently protects the decor from detachments. The glue is packed in tubes of 50 ml, the average price of such a product is 50-70 rubles.
The best glue options for plastic skirting boards
- Polymer adhesive "Installation" of the brand "MOMENT" - its composition provides very strong adhesion and fixes the molding in just a few seconds, while you do not need a strong and long pressing of the decorative baseboard to the work surface. Glue "Installation" is universal and can be used not only for plastic products, but also suitable for other polymeric materials. In the process of installation, dexterity and accuracy are required, as excess glue will be difficult to remove. During operation, the glue emits a pungent odor, so you can work with it only if there is an influx of fresh air into the room. The product is packaged in small tubes of 25 ml, the average cost is 200-230 rubles.
- TITAN WILD All -Purpose Adhesive is a very strong adhesive composition that can quickly bond plastic, polyurethane, ceramics, parquet and so on. Glue in the process of installation has a slight chemical smell and does not harm the human body. Excess adhesive that appears during installation can be easily removed with a cloth. The product is packaged in a volume of 500 ml, the average cost is 150-200 rubles.
- Eco-Naset glue is a transparent adhesive substance that does not emit harmful components into the environment. The composition has good adhesion, but during the installation process, it will take several seconds to hold the molding with your hands pressed to the surface to be decorated. If necessary, if the adhesive has not yet set, you can fix the molding in the right direction, correcting installation errors. The glue is packaged in a bottle with a dispensing cap, its volume is 250 ml, the average cost of the product is 70-100 rubles.
Adhesive compounds can be purchased at any construction outlets, choosing a product that suits you in terms of cost and quality.
How to choose?
When choosing the adhesive composition for mounting the baguette on the ceiling, you need to consider the product that is best suited for the material from which this decor item is made. Saving on the quality of the adhesive composition does not make sense, since the finished result may ultimately be unsatisfactory. In various cases stipulated by the design project, the ceiling plinth can be fixed from the top to the wall directly on vinyl wallpaper, fixed directly to the stretch ceiling, it can be glued to the tiles in the kitchen or to the tiles in the bathroom. Experts advise first to choose and buy a skirting board, and then buy glue that can be used for it.
Mounting adhesive designed for fillet from polystyrene foam, baguette made of polystyrene, moldings made of PVC, as well as compounds for joining joints come in various price categories. Products of European brands, as a rule, are somewhat more expensive than domestic options. In terms of price choice, one should be guided by one’s financial capabilities and preferences, as well as product quality.
For the right choice of mounting adhesive, some recommendations may be helpful.
- First of all, pay attention to the shelf life of the product. If this period has already passed, then the adhesion of such a composition may be low, and therefore unsuitable for high-quality installation work.
- Examine carefully the adhesive label, where its composition and purpose are indicated. You should be aware that waterproof formulations are marked on the packaging. Products intended for use in non-burning rooms or on the street have an image of a mercury thermometer or an icon in the form of a snowflake image.
- Pay attention to the integrity of the adhesive packaging. Slight scratches or damage can cause the adhesive to thicken or dry out. If the air got into the tube with glue, it means that the polymerization process has already begun inside - such a product is not suitable for installation work.
When choosing the adhesive composition, consider the decor material. For example, a polystyrene baseboard can be glued with any universal composition that does not contain organic solvents. It is best to choose transparent glue for such fillets, which does not contain additional fillers. As for wooden moldings, liquid nails are best suited for their installation. The glue is applied in a well-ventilated area, since it contains organic solvents, and before applying the glue, the work surface must be thoroughly cleaned of plaster and primed. Therefore, in addition to glue, you will also need to purchase a deep penetration primer.
An overview of the mounting adhesive for the ceiling plinth in the video below.