Stretch ceilings - a great way to give the room an aesthetic and neat look. They appeared on the domestic market relatively recently, however, this did not prevent them from quickly becoming leaders in sales among the decoration materials for the ceiling. About what types of stretch ceilings are, what is the life of these products and how to care for them, read our article.
Stretch ceilings are a canvas made of special material and serve as a decorative coating, which is often selected in color to the overall interior. Installation of the canvas is carried out using a special profile and guides.
The range of stretch ceilings consists of many models that differ from each other in size, color, material. Mostly perforated vinyl fabric is used to create stretch webs. Its feature is longevity, safety, environmental friendliness, fire resistance. If necessary, you can dismantle the stretch ceiling without causing damage to the canvas.
Due to its composition and excellent operational properties, tension structures perfectly complement any room. The film thickness is less than a millimeter, so this decor does not overload the supporting structures.
Types of paintings
Despite the great variety of the assortment of these paintings, they can be conditionally divided into only two types:
- PVC film sheets;
- fabric cloths.
Installation of film canvases is carried out using special heat guns. But the fabric is installed on a baguette pre-attached to the wall or ceiling.
Also, the paintings are matte, glossy, satin, mirror, textured. They look especially good in multi-level designs. Through the play of color, you can achieve amazing results. Thanks to modern photo printing technologies, today you can apply any image to the canvas - landscape, night sky, geometric patterns, floral patterns and much more.
Almost all manufacturers of these products claim that the shelf life of structures reaches 10-15 years. Practice shows that with proper care and observance of installation rules, tension structures are really capable of withstanding such a long period without loss of performance.
A properly installed ceiling should be smooth and even. The canvas should not sag and crack, fabric and vinyl products should not leak moisture. The brightness of the color and the contours of the picture should remain in their original form.
Experts say that it is possible to extend the life of a stretch ceiling to 20-30 years.
To do this, you must follow these recommendations:
- Entrust the installation to professionals. Choose a company known for its good reputation and reviews. If you need to assemble the ceiling manually, follow the recommendations of specialists.
- When choosing a product for an unheated room, it is better to give preference to film or fabric structures that tolerate low temperatures better than others.
- Avoid cuts, scratches, punctures. Such damage requires repair, which significantly reduces the life of the product.
Tensile structures are easy to operate.
The main thing is to choose the right tool and follow the advice of specialists, and then your ceiling will shine and shine, even after a few years:
- Usually wet cleaning is carried out once every few months. Exceptions are ceilings in the bathroom and kitchen - here dust and dirt settle on the surface of the canvas twice as fast.
- When choosing detergent, avoid abrasive compounds and solvents - they can severely damage the canvas. It is best to purchase a specialized product, but you can also use liquids for washing mirrors. Stains from fat are well washed with a soapy solution.
- Cloths should be cleaned with a dry cloth or vacuum cleaner, stubborn dirt can be rubbed a little with a soft brush.
- Glossy canvases can be lightly rubbed with ammonia.
- It is strictly forbidden to use brushes with hard bristles, mops, sharp objects - all this can lead to scratches and even punctures. Washing water must be warm, otherwise the coating may become deformed. In no case should you actively rub, crush and scrape off the dirt. Cleaning the canvas should be carried out in translational movements without pressure.
Compliance with the operating rules will significantly extend the life of the coating. Also, in case of damage, it is recommended to repair the canvas on time.
Consumers of suspended ceilings unanimously note the practicality, reliability and durability of these products. First of all, tensile structures fell in love with their versatility: they are able to turn even the most curved ceiling into a beautiful even coating. Many people buy these products because they want to solve the problem of decorating the ceiling once and for all. In addition, a wide range of colors allows each customer to choose the best option for their interior.
A long role in the use of products , fire and water repellent properties, and environmental friendliness played a significant role in the popularity of products . Buyers note that the service life of these products is fully consistent with that declared by the manufacturers, but subject to careful care and compliance with operating recommendations.
Stretch ceilings were especially liked by owners of small apartments - glossy and mirror paintings have the effect of expanding the space. In addition, this is also a good design move in interior design.
As with any product, stretch ceilings have disadvantages. These include a high risk of puncture and cut. One careless movement with a sharp object is enough, and a hole forms in the coating, which must be repaired immediately.
Some models (especially film) have a strong odor. However, as practice shows, it quickly erodes. This disadvantage is typical for inexpensive paintings, the cost of which is due to poor quality. When purchasing these products, remember that they are unstable to high temperatures. Therefore, it is necessary to select lighting sources suitable for these structures.
When installing tensile structures, you will forget about the problems of repairing the ceiling covering for many years. A competent installation and proper care of the product will provide a beautiful, well-groomed appearance of the tension coating.
See how to install the suspended ceiling yourself in the next video.