Polymer-based adhesives are indispensable in many construction works: they perfectly bond a wide variety of materials. This article will discuss in more detail the pros and cons of such tools.
Polymer-based adhesive solutions are widely used both in everyday life and in professional construction.
First of all, such a tool has earned its popularity for its ability to firmly hold together virtually any materials and its versatility in use.
Even those objects that, it would seem, can be joined only with the help of self-tapping screws or nails, are able to hold together polymer glue.
In its structure, this type of glue is a gel-like plastic mass, which includes polymers and additional components.
The advantages of polymer blends are as follows:
- high level of adhesion with almost all possible materials;
- quick drying;
- instant fastening of various products;
- high strength of the created bond;
- low consumption;
- ease of application;
- wide scope of application;
- moisture resistance;
- resistance to temperature fluctuations.
The main disadvantage of the adhesive polymer mixture is the toxicity of some formulations. When working with such products, safety precautions must be observed. In the case of internal work, the room must be well ventilated.
Adhesive polymer mixtures differ among themselves in some of the components that make up their composition.
All modern compositions are divided into three main groups.
- Adhesives based on urea-formaldehyde resins, polyurethane and epoxy.
- Water-based mixtures. Such glue can be diluted with water. This group includes PVA and bustilate (synthetic latex adhesive for wallpaper).
- Compounds that can be diluted with organic solvents. This type includes nitrocellulose (nitro glue), rubber glue and a mixture based on perchlorovinyl resin.
Depending on the technical characteristics of a particular type of polymer adhesive, its scope is determined.
Consider the main types.
- Mixtures for indoor use. Used for facing various surfaces.
- Adhesives for external use. This group includes compounds that are characterized by increased resistance to environmental influences and low temperatures. For outdoor use only waterproof mixes are suitable.
- Universal mixtures. Such a composition is suitable for bonding most types of materials and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Mounting solution. It features high performance. Using this glue, even massive products can be glued to various surfaces.
- Glue "Liquid nails". The composition is characterized by low consumption and quick drying. Fastens and reliably fastens the most various materials among themselves.
- Mix "Cold welding". It is a transparent gel-like mass. The peculiarity of this modification lies in the fact that with the help of such a means it is possible to neatly and imperceptibly connect the chopped off pieces of an object with its base.
Scope of application
Polymer-based glue can be used both for small construction work and for full repair. A wide range of such mixtures will allow you to choose the appropriate modification for any task.
The benefits of polymer-based adhesives are known to many car owners. Some modifications of mixtures do a great job with the repair of car windows. A clear solution, when solidified, forms an imperceptible compound. An insignificant layer of glue in this case will have the same refractive indices of light as glass. This allows you to perfectly mask cracks on the surface.
For internal work, the most often used water-soluble group of polymer compositions. Such mixtures are less toxic.
Indoor polymer glue is used for the following purposes:
- installation of a parquet board;
- facing various surfaces with tiles (mixtures based on epoxy are excellent for tiles);
- fastening of drywall sheets;
- minor repairs of various household items and furniture;
- creation and fastening of decorative elements;
- ceiling mount
Polymer-based mixes also cope well with the exterior of buildings. Mounting adhesive can fix even large items. The mixture "Liquid Nails" copes with the fastening of materials such as plastic, metals, wood, drywall, ceramic tiles.
For roofing work produce a special bitumen-polymer adhesive mixture. The glue is a paste-like mass of black. Such a composition is highly resistant to weathering and elasticity.
Most modern manufacturers of building mixtures produce a line of polymer adhesives. The products of various companies differ among themselves in technical characteristics and quality.
When studying the characteristics of a product, it should be remembered that high-quality polymer glue should have the following qualities:
- high elasticity;
- good electrical and thermal conductivity;
- resistance to fire;
- high degree of adhesion (adhesion) and the ability to firmly hold various surfaces together.
Before choosing the appropriate type of solution based on polymers, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the most well-known manufacturers and study the reviews for their products.
The Polish company Dragon specializes in the production of construction chemicals and adhesive mixtures. This company has been supplying high quality products to the construction market since 1972.
Polymer-based Dragon universal glue is very popular in the Russian market. This composition can be used for both internal and external decoration. The mixture is resistant to water and temperature extremes. The total setting time of bonded surfaces is thirty minutes.
Customer reviews on this product in most cases are extremely positive.
Consumers highlight the following benefits of Dragon glue:
- short drying time;
- high quality;
- efficient bonding of a wide variety of materials;
- affordable price.
The disadvantages include a weak but unpleasant odor of the mixture.
The Hercules-Siberia company specializes in the manufacture of dry mixes for construction work. In the production of products, the most modern foreign technologies and high-quality raw materials are used.
The company produces two modifications of glue on a polymer basis:
Both varieties of mixtures are available in dry form. The maximum volume of a bag with loose mixture is 25 kg. The universal composition can be used not only for fastening various surfaces, but also to eliminate minor irregularities in walls and floors. The superpolymer modification is excellent for facing various surfaces of tile. It can be used to finish underfloor heating.
Products manufactured under the brand name Axton are manufactured for the Leroy Merlin chain of stores. Axton polymer-based adhesives have the highest performance. Such mixtures are used in the manufacture of metal structures, finishing and installation works, as well as for sealing joints.
Bostik is one of the world leaders in the production of adhesive mixtures. The company produces compounds designed for both domestic needs and for professional construction. All Bostik products comply with international quality standards.
Polylex adhesive from the manufacturer Bostik has a high degree of adhesion. The mixture can be used for bonding materials such as ceramic tiles, paper, various types of fabrics, wood-laminated board, linoleum, plastic.
Apply glue on a polymer basis only on a well-cleaned and degreased surface. Otherwise, the glue consumption can increase significantly, and there will also be no guarantee of reliable and high-quality bonding of materials. If the surface to be processed is operated in conditions of high humidity, it should be primed if possible.
The adhesive mixture is distributed on the prepared dry basis. It is important to ensure that the glue is applied evenly and in a small layer, which will avoid the formation of smudges. The fastened parts of products or materials are pressed tightly against each other and held for the time indicated on the package of the composition.
Some modifications of polymer glue contain toxic substances. Work with such material in a well-ventilated area. It is recommended to wear gloves on your hands and protect your airways with a respirator.
Polymer glue in action - in the video below.