School age is a special period in a child’s life. From the moment the kid goes to school, the main load on his spine begins. The danger lies in the fact that the student spends a lot of time in a sitting position, which is not natural, and therefore harmful to health.
The purchase of an orthopedic chair in this case is a necessary measure aimed at reducing the shock load on the body. Such furniture is unique, has a number of features and advantages.
The student’s orthopedic chair is a special piece of furniture that has a peculiar structure and does not look like an ordinary chair. A distinctive feature of such furniture is its focus on posture correction. This is not furniture for a comfortable sitting: an orthopedic chair is stiff in shape and does not adapt to the user. It forces the child to take the only correct pose for the spine.
The need for this furniture is due to the fact that students move a little, taking the wrong position: in the morning at school, at home for lessons. However, if you still have the opportunity to change your posture at home, the school has limited movement during the lesson. Here the danger lies: the spine freezes in the wrong position and is forced to suffer, experiencing a huge load.
An addition to the problem is school furniture, which is uncomfortable and does not provide for different growth and complexion of children. The only thing that distinguishes school chairs is that they can have two height positions, which changes by screwing bolts into higher grooves. However, there is no benefit from this: the shape of the chairs does not meet the requirements of the body, while the child suffers.
The task of the orthopedic chair is to provide the student with the maximum benefit, to reduce the curvature of the back. Often at school, children are planted in such a way that for a better view of the board they need to turn sideways. This factor often leads to a violation of posture. The percentage of healthy children is minimal today.
A useful chair is a tool to combat diseases of the musculoskeletal system, it is selected individually for each child, taking into account the characteristics of age.
The student's orthopedic chair is a functional piece of furniture.
Depending on the model, it is capable of:
- to be the prevention of spinal diseases;
- Relieve the spine by relieving muscle tension
- to form a beautiful and understandable handwriting;
- normalize blood circulation;
- relieve pain in the back, shoulder girdle and head;
- relieve numbness of limbs.
This product is used long enough: until the child graduates from school. If it is chosen correctly, starting from an early age, the student will sit correctly, evenly, no matter what chairs in the school. The task of the orthopedic chair is to secure the correct position of the back: getting used to furniture with orthopedic effect, the student’s posture will be beautiful and correct.
An orthopedic chair for a student has a lot of advantages. Is he:
- has a rich lineup, characterized by functionality, which allows you to choose a product with a set of important additions (rollers, footrests);
- depending on the model, it has adjustable backrest height and seat position;
- helps maintain the necessary muscle tone;
- forms a straight line of the spine, supplying the pelvic organs with oxygen;
- It is a strong and reliable design that provides professional assembly, therefore it is safe for the child;
- convenient and easy to use, adapts to the individual parameters of the child;
- has positive recommendations from orthopedic specialists;
- It is distinguished by the reliability of the supports, so it does not fall, does not roll to the sides, does not create additional stress;
- has anatomical components that repeat the correct shape of the back and provide a comfortable position with the discharge of the genitals, which creates maximum pressure;
- has a different design, taking into account the gender and tastes of children;
- It is a stylish furniture that harmoniously fits into the interior of a children's room;
- it is often sold complete with a desk set correctly in height and matching in style;
- depending on the complexity of the design, it differs at a different price, which allows parents to choose the most optimal option, taking into account the recommendations of specialists and the budget planned for the purchase.
Not every model presented in the storefront is worthy of purchase. Despite the wide range of brands produced, not all products take into account the physical abilities of children. Some products provide for the redistribution of shock from the back to the knees, which not every child can withstand. Such correctors are a rather tough preventive measure, and often they simply stand idle in the corner of the room: it is impossible to lean on your knees for a long time.
It is far from always possible to buy what you liked: if the price of budget options is about 3,000 rubles, ergonomic varieties of imported manufacturers often scare away buyers at a price of 20,000-30000 rubles. It turns out that the better the chair and the more correct its shape, the less accessible it is.
And it's not a matter of functionality at all: the shape of the back and seat is different. It is easier for cheap models and curved for expensive ones.
Thanks to modern developments and new technologies, the presented assortment is diverse. Models for children that are able, together with a set of physical exercises, to save students from back diseases, repeat body bends and have different regulators.
Conventionally, they are divided into three age groups:
- models for primary school students (6-8 years old);
- options for high school (9-12 years);
- devices for adolescents (12-15 years old and older).
The main components of each model are the frame, backrest, seat, supports and rotating wheels. Some products are equipped with additional rollers, have a cutout for the knees and a different position of the steps. In most products, the base is quite massive: so the chair holds well on the surface of the floor, does not tip over if accidentally hit.
A distinctive feature of many children's models of orthopedic chairs is the absence of armrests. This component is appropriate for adults, but harmful in childhood varieties, as the position of the hands on the armrests leads to the lifting of the shoulder girdle and the distortion of the back.
All existing models come in two types: classic and ergonomic.
The former include familiar varieties (models of an office plan with an anatomical back located close to the child’s back and a soft seat). They can be hinged and without wheels, differ in the type of upholstery. Often, to achieve the best result, orthopedic pillows of various shapes are added to them. The classic is less orthopedic effect.
Outwardly, they are much simpler than ergonomic chairs, but the functionality is almost the same: hinges, steps, pillows, seat back height adjustment. The backrest is adjustable in angle. The number of leg supports varies from one to two, they can be classic rectangular or circular, necessary to improve blood circulation of the lower extremities.
An interesting variation is the double-back model, which consists of two halves, separated by the center of the frame core. Each half is bent symmetrically, repeating the bends of the children's back.
Such products are included in the group of models of transformers or growing chairs: the backrest freely rises, lowers, securing at the desired height of the rod, and is also adjustable for tilt.
Ergonomic layout models are of three types:
- knee - a structure with or without a backrest resting on the knees (the child’s position is perpendicular to the floor, while he rests his knees on a special pillow, and the feet are laid back and are located on the sides of the chair);
- saddle - a model with different functionalities, the difference of which is the shape of the seat, resembling a saddle: it is raised in front and lowered on the sides (the position of the child does not differ from sitting in a classic chair);
- balancing - a rocking structure or a movable rocking chair, on one side of which there is a small seat, on the other - two pillows for knees (the variety has no back, the correct position of the back is ensured by the need for the child to constantly balance and train the vestibular apparatus).
Children's orthopedic chair - a modern approach to care for the health of the child and his posture. In the production of models for students use different raw materials. The most relevant materials are metal, wood and plastic. In addition to them, modern types of fillers with orthopedic effect (for example, polyurethane foam), high elasticity and crushing resistance are used.
Materials are divided into cabinet and finishing. The base consists of metal (mainly steel) or wood. Wooden components are convenient as guides, cases, bases and supports. The disadvantage is less convenience: often in these designs there are no soft footboards in the form of soft pillows.
Plastic is an auxiliary element, complementing the basic structure. It is used in the armrests, adjustment levers, to close the fulcrum and wheels.
He hides the body core of the chair at the base and the junction with the fulcrum. It can not be called particularly durable, since in some cases, with significant mechanical stress, it can partially break off from the main parts.
Textiles or leather are upholstery. For children, natural components or high-quality synthetics are more often used. Practical raw material is genuine leather. Such products are more expensive, however, easier to care for and look more presentable. If the purchase is planned for several years, this is the most profitable option: the surface is scratch-resistant, any dirt can be removed from it.
Color schemes of orthopedic models of chairs for schoolchildren adhere to soft monophonic shades. In the rulers you can find products for girls and boys, which are presented in the corresponding shades of the color palette. In addition to pink and blue, the priority is blue, green, orange, sand and brown tones. Some products are made with black upholstery.
It is worth noting a characteristic feature: the stool for a primary school student is more cheerful and performed in bright colors, the product for a high school student and high school student looks like an improved office version in dark colors.
The best brands and models
The modern market for orthopedic products is represented by many brands.
The most interesting and functional models are offered by companies:
- Duorest - patented by the new technology products for students with a double movable back, providing reliable fixation of the back without squeezing the vertebral discs, meeting international standards and safety requirements (expensive orthopedic chairs, which are popular in Australia, Japan and the USA);
- Mealux - products of the Taiwanese brand, equipped with all kinds of height and angle adjustment products, having high quality and performance characteristics (products for children of different ages, from first graders to graduates);
- Moll - orthopedic constructions of the German manufacturer for children of middle and high school, characterized by ergonomic shape, simplicity of the adjustment mechanism and reliability, designed for different sizes and weight of children from 100 kg (stylish models in nice colors).
How to choose?
The choice of an orthopedic chair for a student cannot be based solely on external indicators. Such a product is bought on the recommendation of an orthopedic surgeon taking into account medical indicators. Do not treat furniture like a pill: it does not cure the disease, but corrects the position of the back, and therefore the effect is visible. However, if nothing is done besides the chair, its benefits will be minimized. This is not magic furniture: in addition to sitting, you need to move a lot and engage in special exercises.
After weighing the pros and cons, it is worth considering:
- the model matters - it should be with a back, preferably rigid and not sliding at every touch of the child;
- safety is a key factor: the chair should be made of environmentally friendly raw materials without adding harmful components of dyes (the indicator is the absence of a pungent smell)
- reliability and durability of the product are ensured by a strong frame: steel or aluminum is a priority;
- it is worth considering the number of support points: ideally, there should be at least five, and it is better if they are equipped with a rotation and movement lock, as well as a function for locking the wheels;
- it is important to think about practicality: the chair upholstery should be easy to care for, able to be wiped with a damp cloth, resistant to accidental mechanical damage (the priority is genuine leather or dense textiles with an additional removable cover);
- the adjustment system should be simple so that, if necessary, an adjustment to the physiological characteristics of your child can be done with your own hands;
- the model’s convenience is checked by the “fitting” method: you need to carry it out in the store, adjusting the device for the child (if the student is uncomfortable, this will eliminate unnecessary waste and will make the right choice in the direction of another model);
- the correct type of seat is a slightly curved surface with a slightly beveled and optimally soft front edge, 50 cm deep.
Five rules of the best model:
- the child’s legs should not slide under the chair (you need a footrest);
- the label must indicate age;
- the looseness of the construction is excluded: it will have to be twisted constantly;
- the angle between the lower leg and thigh should be straight (it cannot be adjusted independently);
- the product is purchased with the child, taking into account his wishes.
Before buying, it is important to study the features of the particular model you like. This will reveal its strengths and weaknesses and understand the degree of suitability for children of different ages (first grader, teenager) and health (cerebral palsy, posture disorders, scoliosis).
It is preferable to buy a height-adjustable school chair-chair with a footrest. In order not to lament about the quality of the product, it is important to look through the reviews of real customers about the selected product. The model should be as comfortable and useful as possible.
In this video, you will find a comparative review of orthopedic chairs for the student.