The mirror ceiling is able to radically change the look of any room. This idea is not new, but modern technology has not spared it. Currently, of all the interior elements with a mirror surface, the leading position is occupied by a stretch ceiling. This popularity is due to improved installation technology and the versatility of using a mirror blade made from it.
The stretch ceiling is a film of PVC (polyvinyl chloride). It is the practicality of this material that makes it the main competitor of ceiling mirror tiles. And in terms of safety, it even surpasses it.
The main difference between such a ceiling and its usual variations is a special coating. It is it that gives a visible reflection of objects, which, although inferior to an ordinary mirror, is quite suitable as a ceiling decoration. By and large, such a stretch ceiling with a lacquered surface can be called glossy. The main requirement here is its reflective ability.
They pull the ceiling with a mirror surface in the same way as matte. But it requires special care, since the accumulating dust and other contaminants will affect the quality of reflection. Use a soft cloth to wash the ceiling. A warm alcohol solution will not leave streaks, and the addition of soap will help to cope with local pollution.
Do not use brushes, abrasives and other objects that can scratch or damage the canvas.
Technically, installation of a stretch ceiling is possible in almost any room. However, this is not the best option for a nursery, especially since a small child with a weak psyche lives in it. Since such a ceiling creates additional stress, it will seem to the child that someone is watching him. For the same reason, if you like privacy, you should not install a mirrored ceiling in the bedroom, as this is the place for complete relaxation. If such a neighborhood does not bother you, and a tendency to narcissism is one of the features of your character, then just choose a more calm color.
Of course, such a spectacular detail will be an adornment of any living room. The mirror will only increase the magnificence of the interior. But be prepared for the fact that it emphasizes all the flaws. Therefore, it is so important that the interior is holistic, and all objects are carefully selected to each other.
In the dining room and in the kitchen, where there are already many brilliant details, the mirror on the ceiling looks especially harmonious. The atmosphere filled with light will revive any, even the most unpretentious furniture.
And of course, you can’t ignore the bathroom. Like any shiny surface, the canvas will require more thorough care. But all considerations of practicality fade in comparison with the effect produced. In addition to the infinitely high ceiling, light is reflected in side mirrors, chrome parts, water drops - all this produces an indelible effect of luxury and light.
Mirror ceiling can be appropriate not only in an apartment or house, but also in non-residential premises. In a beauty salon or a store, such a coating will allow you to admire yourself from all sides. Often they are used in medical and shopping centers, so the versatility and demand for mirror stretch ceilings has been proven many times in practice.
A wide range of products allows each person to find the option that will make his ceiling unlike everyone else. For this, a wide range of colors is presented, in which in addition to traditional shades, there are many bright and defiant.
In addition, there is a tendency - the darker the gloss, the better the outlines of reflected objects will be visible in it.
The ceiling may be:
- one color;
- multicolor, in which different canvases are connected by welding or baguettes. The resulting seam will be little noticeable.
Seriously affect the appearance of the room and all the surfaces in it can be lighting. Moreover, the varnish coating reflects the rays well. Yes, and almost any kind of lighting fixtures can be mounted in the ceiling of this kind. It can be:
- LED strip.
But the most appropriate combination will be their best - in this way it will be possible to illuminate or highlight a specific section of the room. In addition, combined lighting allows you to create a unique play of light and shadow, and a mirror ceiling will help enhance this effect.
A form of tension can be a kind of decor. It is clear that the shape of the ceiling of the room cannot be changed. In this case, we are talking about dividing the ceiling into certain sections and levels, due to which waves, domes, windows and other fantasy patterns appear on the ceiling. Elements of a multilevel design can be completely mirrored or only partially. In addition, this technique, combined with color and lighting, will help divide the room into zones.
Advantages and disadvantages
So, in addition to the widespread use noted above and a sufficiently large model range, mirror stretch ceilings have the following advantages:
- Security. If we compare the stretch ceiling with tile or suspended, then, following the installation technique, it does not face collapse. He does not experience stress. Not to mention the fact that the material itself is modern, lightweight, non-toxic.
- Changing the parameters of the room and masking architectural flaws. With the help of mirrored ceilings, you can create the illusion of expanding the living space, and in addition, they effectively hide all irregularities, wires, ventilation communications.
- The versatility of the application is explained not only by excellent external data, but also by resistance to moisture, sunlight and temperature. Due to this, it can be used in swimming pools, bathrooms, some domestic premises. This is also facilitated by easy cleansing.
- Availability. Such a coating has long been not uncommon. The emergence of a large number of companies that sell canvases of domestic and foreign manufacturers with different price levels, makes them more affordable.
- Installation, although carried out by professionals, is quite simple. It can be carried out at any stage of repair without noise, dust and in a short period of time.
- Durability. During the entire period of operation, repair of the canvas is not required, the paint does not fade, the coating does not deform. In addition, if you are flooded with neighbors, this will protect the interior, and the accumulated water can simply be drained.
Based on the reviews of people who have already purchased mirror stretch ceilings, several of their main disadvantages can be distinguished.
There are few of them, but when choosing them you still need to consider:
- The thickness of the canvas is small, so it can be damaged mechanically (for example, it is elementary to pierce during cleaning).
- The standard width of the paintings from different manufacturers varies within two meters. Therefore, if the ceiling exceeds this value, be prepared for joints or beat them by dividing into parts or levels.
- During installation, a few centimeters will be removed. And in many respects it depends on the type of fixtures. Therefore, this must be taken into account when purchasing building materials, ordering furniture or curtains.
- In the bathroom on the mirror canvas, dried splashes and soapy streaks are noticeable, so in order to maintain it in radiant cleanliness, special tools and time are needed.
- A win-win option is to combine a mirror surface on the ceiling and walls. On the sunny side, this threatens with excessive glare, while in a dark room the gloss creates an illusion of space.
- Light colors not only add volume, but also look fresh and easy. It would seem that a conservative approach, in which the color of the walls and ceiling coincides, acquires special charm if a mirror canvas is used for the latter.
We can say that even in the interior, designed in neutral colors, chic slips. Here, as nowhere else, it is important not to overdo it with the details.
- A color combination of walls and ceiling is optional. Contrast never goes out of style, especially when it comes to black and white. The bottomless ceiling is literally overwhelming with its splendor.
- In the combination of colored canvases, harmony is still important. Color accents not only serve as a way to zoning, but also create a mood.
- In addition to the combination of colors, a combination of different types of ceilings is possible. Mirror stretch and matte pendant look great with each other if they are combined by a single style. Well, in combination with combined lighting, the interior takes on a finished look.
See the following video for tips on mounting a mirrored stretch ceiling.