Brick is a very popular eco-friendly material for indoor and outdoor use. Often its original appearance does not satisfy our requirements. Then the question arises about the decorative finish of this building material. How and how can this be done? Let’s take a look below.
How to choose a paint?
A huge assortment of paints is presented on the building materials market today. They vary in composition, basis, scope and price. Choosing the right quality paint is the key to a long coating service. Its purchase must be approached very thoroughly.
First of all, you need to answer the question, what wall are you going to paint? Will it be interior or exterior decoration?
When choosing paint for painting the walls of your own country house or any other structure, pay attention to a number of parameters.
- Vapor permeability . This indicator is key if the entire wall array is made of brick. Having painted the facade tightly with paint, you will deprive the walls of the opportunity to “breathe”. Competent builders for these purposes provide for special ventilation gaps. In this case, you can choose a paint that does not have a high or even medium vapor conductivity. The same rule applies to buildings whose facade is only decorated with bricks, they only performed the cladding.
- You noticed that very often the paint at the seams is first destroyed . This is due to an illiterate selection of material. The fact is that alkali is part of the concrete mix. Not all paints are resistant to it, so when choosing, you should pay attention to this aspect.
- Water resistant . Different types of bricks have their own moisture absorption, so the material must be protected. The paint successfully copes with this. It should not leak or absorb water.
- It must be taken with high adhesion . The paint should adhere well to the surface on which it is applied. At the same time, brick is a porous building material. This must definitely be taken into account. To reduce paint consumption, it should have a high hiding power (to cover the previous layer).
Types of paints for exterior decoration
There are several types that are well suited for painting bricks on the outside. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Acrylic One of the most popular materials for painting walls. Although the vapor permeability is not high, this is quite enough. The main advantage is its ability to prevent the appearance of salt stains. This is one of the main problems of decorative finishing materials.
- Silicone One of the main rules for painting brick walls is the annual exposure after it is laid out. A brick wall is painted only a year after construction. This type of paint allows you to do this after a week. This advantage gives her elasticity. Even if the masonry shrinks, the coating will remain unchanged. The obvious minus is the high cost.
- Silicate . This enamel will pleasantly surprise you at the price, but its characteristics leave much to be desired. Most likely, the wall will have to be updated in 2 or 3 years. The fact is that the paintwork material is not very resistant to aggressive environmental influences.
In modern stylish interiors, you can often find brickwork. It is quite acceptable for styles such as loft, rustic or industrial. The choice of paint is an important step. The final result and aesthetics of the interior will depend on it.
The main criteria that should underlie the selection are as follows:
- environmental friendliness;
- decorative effect.
All these requirements are met by a form such as water-dispersion paint, otherwise it is also called water-based paint. The basis can be acrylic, then the paint will last a very long time. May be minerals.
If it is necessary to paint the wall in a bathroom or other room with high humidity, then choose an acrylic paint with the presence of latex. This will help to avoid cracking and various stains in contact with water.
The material that you will need to buy first of all is a primer. It, like paint, can have a different basis. An ideal option would be the selection of paint and primer with an identical base.
Of the simplest tools you need to take:
- roller or brush with hard bristles;
- emery for grouting the rough surface or creating the effect of scuffing on the already applied coating;
- gloves for protecting hands;
- special safety glasses (if any);
- atomizer (optional);
- scraper for paint.
If you decide to paint a brick wall yourself, then you need a not-so-large set of tools. For professionals, this choice is much wider.
If there are some among your friends or acquaintances, then you can ask them to lend them.
One of the most important stages on which the quality of work and the durability of the coating depend. In this case, the scheme will not fundamentally differ, both for internal and external works. So, below we have listed all the other steps. Their number may vary, since we will consider the most difficult option.
The old coating should be completely removed from the brick. This will not be easy, but necessary. To do this, use a special paint thinner. Soaked paint residues should be easily removed using a scraper.
- Sand the entire surface with coarse sandpaper. This will help the paint lie evenly.
- If there are visible flaws in the form of cracks or faults, then they are closed with putty. Do not forget! After that it is necessary to process these “wounds” with plaster.
- Seams also require special attention. If this is a new masonry, then there should not be a problem with them. On the old walls, they often require updating. The concrete mix is best suited for this.
- Walk over the entire surface with hard bristles. It will make it possible to remove dust, paint residues and other contaminants from the wall plane.
- Occasionally, greasy stains may appear on a brick wall due to careless use. They also need to get rid of. If this is not done, then the spots will appear on a fresh color. Clean them with detergent or soap. Be sure to rinse these places with plain water so that there are no stains.
- Allow the wall to dry completely and only then apply sealant. You can also use special varnish.
- We already wrote about the importance of a primer. So, the final stage will be its application. This tool helps the paint adhere well to the surface and significantly extend the life of the base layer.
- Since the brick is quite porous, the primer should be applied several times.
Correctly painting the wall is no less important than preparing the surface well.
Thinking to paint the wall in an apartment or house, it is worthwhile to decide in advance what effect you want to get in the end. Interior coloring is more decorative than protective.
Particular attention should be paid only to rooms with high humidity. Here it is better to protect the paint with an additional layer of special varnish.
- New brickwork with perfect workmanship requires a minimum of effort to paint it. There are no features or difficulties. Due to its attractive appearance, it is often left in pristine condition. In this case, you should only cover it with clinker oil to protect it from mold.
- The palette of available shades allows you to choose any color or tone. However, he does not have to repeat the color scheme of the interior. A bright color accent in the form of a contrasting brick wall will definitely not go unnoticed and will become a highlight.
- Any brickwork has seams. They can be completely invisible or quite deep. They can be made out in a different color. Such a masonry will look more textured.
- White color. You can make a full color fill or the effect of aged whitewash. This result is not very difficult to achieve with diluted paint and a brush. The latter should have sparse bristles and be stiff. Do not forget to cover the floor and other surfaces with a protective film, so that later you do not have to wash them for a long time.
- You can enhance the aging effect with ordinary coarse sandpaper. Walk her on the dried paint, but only in some places. To create a matte surface and protect the wall, cover it with the same varnish.
- Creativity. The surface of the wall can be arbitrarily different. It all depends on your imagination and desire. If you create an interior in the industrial style, then unusual drawings and graffiti will be appropriate. They can be made using special spray cans and stencils.
- Sometimes you want to get the effect of a sooty wall. Plain paint is not suitable for this. But it is very good to cope with this task stain. The choice of shades is quite wide, so everyone can find the right tone. Do not paint the surface completely. Leave some bricks unprocessed, so the effect will be as natural as possible.
Outside the house
After the surface has been prepared and the primer has dried, you can start painting. If you have a spray gun or you borrowed it from familiar builders, then this would be an ideal option for painting textured surfaces. Working with it requires some skill, so first practice on the surface, which is not a pity.
The main condition for high-quality painting will be warm, dry weather. The temperature on the street should not be lower than 5 degrees. For some paints, this indicator can change up or down, so carefully read the information on the package.
If the facade area is not very large, it is better to apply the first coat without interruption . You will avoid the appearance of divorces. Of course, with the large dimensions of the building, this will be difficult. Try to at least finish one wall, and after a break, start painting the next one.
It’s very inconvenient to clean the brush every time. During short breaks, wrap it with polyethylene, this will help to avoid drying out.
When choosing a color for the facade of the house, pay attention to ensure that it blends well with the foundation. They should look harmonious with each other. If the fence on your site is also made of brick, then for the integrity of the picture, we recommend painting it in an identical shade
The interior in the loft style with a brick wall with its simplicity looks very interesting. The task of designers is to create the effect of incompleteness. Aesthetics should not suffer. The wall seems old, but very original.
Multi-colored bricks on the balcony will create a joyful mood even on a cloudy day. Your personal balcony will definitely stand out against the gray plain walls of the neighbors.
Facade masonry, treated with gray paint, gives the house an aristocracy and severity. This color scheme is practical.
Find more tips for painting a brick surface in the next video.