Hand planer is a special tool designed for processing wooden surfaces of various elements and structures. Carpenters and joiners, as well as lovers of working with wood, use a planing device.
Through the work of the planer, it is possible to give the wooden surface the desired shape and achieve straight lines and the desired parameters. The tool will improve the appearance of the processed material.
Features and purpose
Consideration of a unique woodworking machine should begin with its features. A planer is used for planing wood , namely: to give the wooden surface the desired shape. In the process, the planer removes various irregularities and roughness, and also eliminates the surface of the material from defects that can spoil the attractive appearance of the element, selects a quarter.
A key feature of planers is the possibility of their use by both professional craftsmen and inexperienced people who need to urgently process a wooden surface. And also some models contain a selector.
What does it consist of?
The planer device involves the use of several elements in the design. Everyone should get to know each other better.
- Cutter. The basis of the tool. It is a rectangular plate, the end of which is pointed. The cutter is installed in the opening of the pads, observing a certain angle to organize better cutting. Additionally, an adjustment mechanism is provided for adjusting the position of the knife. It allows you to set the blade at the required distance. Using the correct distance, it is possible to adjust the depth of cut and the thickness of the chips removed from the material. According to the standards, the knife has a certain grinding angle. However, in the case of the use of a plane by craftsmen, a specialist can independently process the surface of the cutter.
- Lever. No less important element of the scheme. It is worth noting that a manual planer contains two handles. One is used to guide the tool, and the second is made for stop. The first - the design is more curved, which allows for reliable grip of the tool. The persistent handle provides an opportunity to create the necessary effort in the process of processing the surface of the material.
- Body. It features a smooth surface in which the cutter is located. The sole part of the body is perfectly flat, which ensures high-quality sliding of the planer on the wood surface and does not deform the material being processed. For the manufacture of the body using steel or wooden materials. The first option is more popular. Masters argue this with the fact that it is easier to work with a steel plane. Joiners choose metal aggregates, which are used as material for the creation of gray cast iron.
Today, more than 10 varieties of hand planers are known. Manufacturers regularly improve the design of the tool and release new modifications.
Therefore, the typical design of a hand planer is not an obstacle to the emergence of a large number of models.
Planers have several classifications. If we consider their division into species, then there are tools for processing the following types:
- rough or rough.
The latter are used for general use and are suitable for unskilled craftsmen. Finishing, in turn, involves dividing planers into several modifications.
- Shliftik. Using this tool, the final finishing of the tree is carried out. The plane perfectly copes with irregularities and defects, eliminating them from the surface, noticing even small elements left after processing with the previous tool. The design of the grinding contains two sharpened knives. Knife sharpening angle does not fall below 60 degrees. And also a chipbreaker is provided - a plate located above the cutting blade.
- Tsinubel. The device gives the surface a decorative roughness. It is somewhat reminiscent of a dirt surface, and its advantage is improved grip. The varnish on the tree with this treatment is applied quickly and easily absorbed. The cutters of the tool are sharp, grooves are provided on their surface. And also the design of the tsinubel includes knives with a blade, at the end of which there are notches.
- Miter planer. The tool is used in the case of processing small surfaces - mainly end surfaces. Actually, this is what the name says.
- Single. Designed for re-sinking on the surface of the tree. By working with this tool, it is possible to obtain clean chips without kinks, however, during use, chips and badges appear on the tree. Therefore, it is used in conjunction with a grinder.
- Double Planer. The design of the tool is equipped with a cutter and a chipbreaker, which improves the quality of processing. However, even in this case, an additional penetration with a grinder on a wooden surface will be required.
When the need arises for finishing, preference is given to the listed tools. Such planers are also called flat planers.
It is noteworthy that after using them, the surface of the material is additionally ground using sandpaper.
Rating of the best models
Today, manufacturers produce a huge number of hand planers of various designs and designs. So that when buying do not run your eyes, it is worth bringing the top 5 popular models of planers, with which you can successfully process a wooden surface.
A popular model that is actively used on construction sites. The company has been manufacturing working processing tools for more than 170 years, so there is no doubt about the quality of the equipment.
The plane perfectly copes with the task. It can be used for surface treatment of all types of wood, including hard varieties. The design of the tool provides for the installation of a special mechanism. With its help, it is possible to achieve precise adjustment of the angle of the blade, which allows you to quickly solve a specific problem.
Pluses of model:
- robust construction;
- long service life;
- molded and comfortable tool handles.
The plane is literally created for comfortable work.
Pinie 51 mm
The peculiarity of the model is the use of first-class wood species in the manufacture of a planer. The tool is designed for finishing, as well as for the edging of the edges of various parts.
- increased blade strength;
- ergonomic handle, convenient to use;
- chip picker.
It is noteworthy that the wood used for the manufacture of this model was pre-dried.
"Stankosib sherhebel 21065"
The tool is designed for initial or rough surface treatment. Its feature is an extended blade. Together with a comfortable sole, the planer allows you to achieve high-quality removal of the primary layer of wood and eliminates any bumps or defects.
Pluses of model:
- robust construction;
- lack of deformation of the unit even under heavy loading;
- blade angle adjustment for quality machining.
The design uses durable blades made of steel billets.
The features of the planer include the ability to remove excess wood from the surface. Through this treatment, it is possible to obtain smooth planes even on the smallest details. The tool body is made of cast iron, so it does not deform in any way even with strong working loads.
- the presence of a custom knife centering function;
- use of high quality steel for the blade;
- the presence of false knives of small sizes.
The latter is used as a chipbreaker, which allows final processing of the plane of the wooden surface.
The plane is small in size, therefore it is popular among both professionals and amateurs. The main purpose of the tool is the final cleaning of the folds that go to the end of the obstacle.
The planer body is made of high quality steel. The manufacturer uses the St3 brand, which provides resistance to any loads and reduces the risk of deformation. The design provides a mechanism to adjust the cutting angle.
- compact sizes;
- the ability to handle hard to reach places;
- durable knife.
The blade is made of high speed steel . Therefore, it remains sharp for a long time and removes the required layer of wood.
The choice of a manual planer is a complex and responsible process, which must be approached wisely. Before choosing a tool, it is recommended to carefully study the assortment and pay attention to a number of parameters.
- Sharpening angle. It is the main criterion for selection. It determines the quality of wood processing, as well as the speed of work. When choosing a tool, it is also recommended to take into account that a mechanism capable of adjusting the angle of sharpening was provided in its design.
- Sole. It greatly affects how the result will look. The sole should be smooth. This is the only way to achieve perfect evenness of the machined surface.
- The thickness of the removed chips. It implies the possibility of changing this indicator. Sharpening planers is not the most convenient option, so it should be foreseen that manufacturers equip the model with this function.
Additionally, when choosing a tool, it is recommended to pay attention to the manufacturer, the cost and the possibility of use by amateurs . For example, it makes no sense to buy an expensive professional planer when it comes to its use as a hobby.
Watch a video on how to choose a hand planer.