Many of us just love all kinds of smoked foods - meat, fish, even vegetables. Nevertheless, sometimes not only prices in stores scare, but also quality. It has long been proven that quite often in stores they sell not smoked products at all, but an imitation of such products. Special mixes allow to give smoked aroma and taste to the same fish. Alas, the quality is poor.
So why not make your own smokehouse? Finding really good smoked products is not difficult, and the cooking process itself is not difficult. But you will be sure that your smoked meat or your favorite beer mackerel will be natural and safe. But most importantly - incredibly tasty.
But first you should build this very smokehouse. That’s what we’ll talk about today.
What to consider before construction
Consider the following points:
- Location It is necessary to find the optimal place where you can place a smokehouse. It should not cause discomfort to you or your neighbors. The smell of smoked meats, of course, is pleasant, but not everyone will want to feel it 24 hours a day.
- Material. Now the smokehouse can be made from anything, up to the old refrigerator. However, the best option is a brick. Please note, the brick is exclusively refractory.
- Type of smoking. There are two of them - cold and hot. The design of the device itself depends on the selected type. Therefore, think in advance what exactly you want to get as a result.
- Products You probably already thought that you were going to smoke. Different products have their own requirements in this regard. The construction of the smoking shed largely depends on this. For some products you need to adapt the device. Keep this in mind.
Types of smoking
Smoking is a very ancient way of cooking. It allows you to effectively use the capabilities of the tree. When a certain temperature is reached, the wood slowly smolders, emits the necessary smoke, due to which burying takes place.
Smoking itself can be of two types:
Cold belong to a more expensive method, however, the cooked dish itself is stored longer.
Hot smoking does not allow you to store the dish for so long after cooking, however, the products are more aromatic and tastier.
The main difference between them is the design. So, if hot smokehouses have an ignition center directly under the chamber, then cold means placing the center on the side, and a special device is supplied to the chamber where smoking takes place - smoke supply.
Brick smokehouse is stationary. Therefore, it will not be possible to move it from place to place. This suggests that the place should be chosen with great care.
To begin, choose a convenient plot located at a certain distance from the house itself. You will be dealing with a lot of smoke, and falling into the living space is undesirable. In addition, this smoke can harm trees, your plantations. Consequently, finding a suitable place will not be so simple.
Here it all depends on each house individually. But you already know the main points in choosing a place.
As we have already noted, smokehouses nowadays make almost everything that is at hand. But brick devices can have different schemes, depending on the size, type of smoking and so on.
One way or another, the main structural elements remain unchanged:
- Lattice or holders (on which products are smoked);
If we are talking about cold smoking, a smoke supply is necessarily added to the structure, and the firebox itself is not located under the gratings, but on the side to avoid the direct influence of the smoldering tree on the products located on top.
Having decided to make your own smokehouse, you need to clearly distribute the planned work, breaking them into stages in the correct sequence. It is better to prepare thoroughly, and not act instinctively from step to step. So you can miss important points and make serious mistakes.
The construction of the smokehouse can be divided into several main stages:
- Preparatory measures.
- Selection of tools and materials.
- Foundation laying for future construction.
- Organization of a supply for smoke (if it is a cold smokehouse).
- Introduction of the device to work.
Without preparatory measures to make a really high-quality and effective smokehouse is quite problematic.
Preparation consists, first of all, in choosing the type of device. Whatever one may say, hot smoking from cold smoking differs not only in the result of cooking, but also in the design features of the device itself.
After you have decided on the type of smoking, you need to carefully consider the place to place the structure. We have already told you about the selection rules, therefore there should not be any problems.
Do not forget about the importance of quality materials. The better the brick and related elements are, the longer and more reliable your miracle device will last.
Having prepared the drawings, as well as making step-by-step notes for future construction, you will ease your own task. So you can act strictly according to the plan, not depart from the plan. As a result, there are fewer errors, the result is better.
As an example, we offer one of the drawings of the smokehouse when combined with the oven and stove for cooking - the most popular option.
Drawing of a smokehouse with barbecue.
Of course, without the appropriate tools and materials, it does not make sense to start work. And for the manufacture of a smokehouse, you must have:
- Brick (ceramic or special refractory, but not silicate);
- Clay (it can be replaced with ready-made dry mixes);
- Capacity for solution;
- Doors made of wood for smokehouse;
- A grate or bars of metal on which the product will be located;
- metal roof (if a small device is made);
- A hammer;
- Building level;
- Trowel and putty knife;
- A set of components for the foundation.
About the foundation you need to talk separately. For its organization, you can use a metal mesh with concrete, gravel and sand, or a concrete slab.
If you decide to make a concrete pillow, then the sequence of your actions will be as follows:
- First dig a hole of the required depth.
- After that, sand with crushed stone is poured onto the bottom of the resulting pit. Try to compact this layer tightly, to make it even.
- Then, a mesh of metal is placed in the pit and concrete is poured.
All that remains is to wait for the concrete to harden, and the construction itself can begin.
If you can use a reinforced concrete slab instead of pouring, be sure to use it. It is much simpler and faster, plus there is no need for additional work.
The pastel, spoon and poke near the brick are indicated in the following figure.
After the foundation has been completed, the laying of bricks begins.
- First, apply a mortar to the foundation using a trowel. It should be slightly larger than the area of the pastel. After that, the brick itself is applied. He should not get to the junction.
- Now a pin is smeared, which will fill the vertical seams. The stone must be pressed down, which will allow you to "crush" the solution that is under it. Move it to the junction.
- If, as a result of pressure, the solution leaves the seam, the excess is removed with a trowel. In order to ensure the correct position of the brick, you can just hit it a little with a rubber hammer. Try to regularly monitor the masonry angle using the building level. This can be done when laying each row. Remember to measure the wall using a plumb line or level.
- Vertical and horizontal seams should have a thickness of about 12 millimeters. This is ideal.
- An important point is the overlapping of the vertical seams of the lower row with a brick when laying corners. Due to this, a dressing is created. Please note that it is best to start laying from the corner so that then there are no problems.
- The final stage of masonry will be grouting. This will give the design a more attractive appearance.
If your smokehouse is cold smoked, then its smoke supply will be a must.
To build such a chimney, it is necessary to make a special trench. Its width is approximately 0.5 meters, its depth is 0.3 meters, and its length is about 2 meters.
At the trench wall, bricks are laid on the ribs. The solution for this site is selected in the ratio of clay to sand 3 to 1. The resulting structure is coated on top with a metal element, or filled with asbestos.
We test the smokehouse:
- The appropriate product is poured into the sawdust compartment. It is best to choose sawdust from cherries or apricots.
- Light the firebox.
- Place the selected foods inside the smokehouse. It is best to try the device on meat or fish.
- The outlet pipe closes on the lid and waits for the time until the device warms up, the internal space is filled with smoke. So that you can monitor what is happening inside, you can install a thermometer.
- When the thermometer reaches 600 degrees, open the outlet. It is located on the roof.
- The next step is to wait 30 minutes. The device should work.
- Now open the door and take out your products. The color should go golden, the meat or fish itself should be hot.
During the test, it is quite possible to notice how smoke leaves the device. This means that some of the slots were not tightly smeared. Testing allows you to find errors, quickly eliminate them and begin full operation of the smokehouse.
Features of the construction of a small smokehouse
Making a small smoking device is not difficult, even on your own. Just follow the recommendations and proceed step by step.
- To begin with, we find a place to install a chimney on the ground. The intra-channel section should have a size of about 30 centimeters or slightly less, its width is 0.35 m and its height is 0.25 m. The best material is clay brick.
- The combustion chamber is located in the extreme part of the created channel. Please note that the height of the chamber should not be more than 1.5 m. Bricks must be laid on edges.
- To lay the canal, a trench is required. Its depth is about 0.35 m and its width is 0.55 m. Do not place the firebox higher than the camera. If you put the device on a hill, then no additional events will be necessary. If not, then the chimney is best done with a slope of about eight degrees. Compress the bottom, and then do the brickwork.
- A new stage is the laying of walls in the chimney channel. The wall is mounted on a bricked foundation. Elements are also stacked on the ribs. Make sure the dressing is the same everywhere. The resulting wall should include several rows of bricks, that is, its height is about 0.25 m.
- After that, you need to block the upper part of the channel using a brick. Overlapping should be done as a house, since a flat design will not work.
- At the end of the obtained channel of the created chimney, chambers are installed where smoking will take place. Mount it so that the channel goes deep into, no more than 0.3 m.
- The final stage is the sprinkling of the soil layer to the level of the chamber. Please note that the height of this layer should be approximately 0.15 m.
Features of the construction of a large smokehouse
If you want to make a big smokehouse, then it is being built like a small house.
During the construction process, be sure to lay the elements on which, in fact, the selected products will be smoked. A chimney is mounted on top, complemented by a valve. This valve will help regulate the temperature as well as the speed of the passing smoke stream.
In the design of the smokehouse itself, you can include additional capacity where you will store firewood. They should always be at hand in large smoking equipment.
Also do not forget about the pan, where all the fat formed during cooking will drain. And the door needs to be coated with clay, like other structural elements made of wood. This will prevent sudden fires.