In many apartments, especially the small ones, there is a problem of storing seasonal clothes and homemade products. In this case, the ideal place would be a balcony or a loggia, where a corner cupboard is installed - a practical and original piece of furniture. It will contain everything necessary and free up room space from unnecessary things.
Owners of small housing try to make the most efficient use of every centimeter of the area, including the balcony. It is very convenient to place a sofa, a table and a spacious cabinet of angular shape on it. You can put kitchen utensils, small appliances (vacuum cleaner, iron), household chemicals, tools in it.
If the loggia is large, then it is easy to turn it into a full-fledged library or study with a cabinet for books and documents. A functional product will complement the design of the balcony, which will turn into a room, which is a continuation of the apartment. Furniture is compact, because it occupies only a corner and does not look overall. The angular configuration looks interesting and creative.
When choosing a cabinet, it is necessary to rely on the dimensions of the balcony in order to purchase a product that is suitable in all respects. There are several basic designs - built-in furniture and cabinet. The first is an excellent solution for small loggias.
Built-in cabinets do not have rear panels, bottoms and covers, only doors and shelves attached to the walls. Such products will not close the lighting and merge with the wall if the cabinet is made in the same color.
Cabinet furniture has all the walls, upper and lower panels, doors. It is well suited for loggias of a large area, because its appearance is much more massive than that of built-in models.
The advantage of cabinet-type cabinets is that it is very easy to disassemble and rearrange them to another corner, or move them to new housing.
It is more difficult to install and dismantle the built-in corner furniture, therefore these products are an option for many years.
Corner cabinets for the balcony come in three configurations:
- L-shaped - furniture with straight shapes (square, rectangle). Wardrobes fit perfectly into the design of a long loggia. Products can only be hull;
- Triangular - equipped with a door connecting the two walls forming a triangle. Built-in models are the most common; case models are less common;
- Trapezoidal - made in the form of a trapezoid with two side panels, connected at an angle with the back wall and the door. The designs of such cabinets are mainly case-based.
Unusual products (radial, wave-like) are rarely installed on balconies because of their impressive dimensions and shapes, which do not fit the interior of a narrow room in the best way.
By type of product are divided into:
- Open - cabinets have no doors, only shelves and side walls. Often products are whatnots: built-in or freestanding. Sometimes lockers are equipped with blinds or curtains in order to hide the contents of shelves from prying eyes;
- Swing - products have doors that open outwards, which requires additional space. Not all shelves can be closed, but some of them - the cabinet becomes combined;
- Sliding - the doors slide apart in different directions, which saves the space of the loggia. Sliding doors are a distinctive feature of sliding wardrobes.
Angular models with roller shutters are produced - this is a door in the form of an accordion opening upward. These types of doors are durable and easy to operate. You can put any furniture on the balcony, but the open structures are not so versatile - they are not suitable for storing all things.
Before choosing a closet for the loggia, you must clearly imagine what will be stored there. This is important, because you need to provide shelves and drawers to accommodate various things.
Corner built-in wardrobes - this is the perfect solution for the wardrobe on the balcony.
The filling of the product is as follows:
- mezzanines - shelves for rarely used items (suitcases, Christmas tree);
- wide shelves for bath accessories, bedding, pillows, blankets;
- narrow shelves for folding clothes (t-shirts, sweaters);
- drawers for storing underwear, socks, scarves;
- rods for clothes (fur coats, coats, dresses, blouses and jackets);
- a shoe rack for placing seasonal shoes;
- scrubs for hanging trousers;
- honeycombs for small accessories, hooks.
If the furniture is designed for storing tools, arranging cans with blanks, then the cabinet should be equipped with drawers and closed shelves.
Products with large doors require high shelves. To store the vacuum cleaner, leave space at the bottom of the cabinet.
To place books, caskets with sewing, commemorative photos can be on open corner cabinets. They are also used for arranging potted plants and storing devices for caring for the green spaces present on the balcony.
The choice of material from which the cabinet is made should be treated responsibly, because it is necessary that the furniture lasts a long time.
- Natural wood is one of the most expensive materials. The wood is environmentally friendly, looks luxurious and rich. Such products are wiser to install on insulated balconies;
- Particleboard is a popular material for creating furniture. It is a waste of low-value wood species connected by a formaldehyde resin of synthetic origin. Particleboard is inexpensive, durable and lightweight. The disadvantage is the fear of moisture, so the cabinets are suitable for insulated loggias;
- MDF - the material is created from compressed wood chips and carbide resins. Advantages of MDF - durability, strength, high wear resistance;
- Metal - plastic - it has a strong aluminum base, resistant to the negative effects of moisture. The advantage of metal is low cost.
Fiberboard is used as the rear walls of corner cabinets. The material is made from pressed wood dust and binders - paraffin and rosin. Thanks to these synthetic fiberboard additives, moisture is not a problem.
The first thing you should pay attention to when choosing a corner cabinet is materials. It is necessary to be guided by what conditions are created on the balcony, how this or that material will behave when exposed to moisture and other negative factors. It directly depends on how long the cabinet will stand on the loggia and maintain its original appearance.
It is worth considering the mechanism for opening doors at sliding wardrobes:
- Roller - the door moves along the groove on special roller guides. The system is not the most reliable - the rollers jump out of the rails when foreign objects get there.
- Monorail - the movement of the rollers is carried out on a monorail, which excludes small objects.
It is necessary to check the opening mechanism and make sure that everything is working properly. The walls and doors of the furniture must be free from deformation and scratches. It is necessary that the shelves are strong and withstand the weight of the items located on them.
Nuances of accommodation
The main rule is that you do not need to install bulky furniture on the loggia. The room is modest in size, and huge cabinets will further reduce space. Place products in a corner that is not often used. Great place - in the corner near the entrance.
On some balconies there is a wide windowsill - under it you can build low cabinets, which will be a continuation of a high corner product. When installing furniture, you need to make sure that it does not interfere and does not limit access to objects located on the loggia.
It is important that the appearance of the cabinet matches the design of the balcony. Furniture should organically fit into the interior, and not stand out from it like an absurd stain. If the loggia is in bright colors, then the product is the same, the room is made in bright colors - the furniture is selected in similar colors.
There are many ways to design a corner cupboard on a balcony. Items with mirrors look unusual, they help visually expand the space and bring the atmosphere of a living room. The mirror will reflect the sun's rays, making it even brighter on the balcony.
Photo printing and sandblasting to decorate the cabinet are rarely used, but this option is appropriate for spacious loggias, turned into an office, a place to relax. Often there are products with trim from the lining, made on the principle of blinds.
See the next video for a photo collection on the topic “Corner Cabinets on the Balcony”.