Cacti are indoor plants that have been very popular for decades. One of the varieties of these representatives of the flora are cacti belonging to the genus "Lofofora". These plants, whose homeland is Mexico, have an unusual appearance and amazing properties.
Not all cactus lovers know exactly how to grow them at home, are there restrictions on the cultivation of "Lofofora", what species belong to this group of plants. All of these aspects are discussed in detail in this article.
In another way, this plant is called Peyotl. Under natural conditions, it grows on the slopes of small hills surrounded by shrubs. The stem of the cactus "Lofofora" is a dense, slightly flattened ball of blue-green color. It is characterized by a smooth surface that is pleasant to the touch. The maximum diameter of the ball is 150 millimeters.
Peyotl growing in a pot is often presented as a combination of several segments, as if fused together at the base. There may be more than five. Each segment also has its own division, which includes several edges (usually 5). Ribs - parts of the upper region of the stem. Usually all cactus ribs are the same size.
The surface of some cacti is quite lumpy. At the same time, in the center of each individual segment you can see a special area - the areola. A hair bundle colored in straw grows from it. For adult plants, its location on the top of the stem is characteristic. It is on this site in the spring that buds are formed, the flowering of which can be observed in the summer season.
During the flowering period, Lofofora pleases the eye with medium-sized tubular buds, the range of shades of which varies from red to pastel colors. The number of petals of a velvety texture is quite large, and the flower itself in diameter reaches two centimeters.
After flowering on the cactus, the formation of fruits. For peyote, the fruits are red-pink in color, the size of which is approximately 20 millimeters. Inside them are small black seeds.
An important characteristic of these types of cacti is the massive root system. The thickness of the root with a significant number of dense processes is not inferior to the stem.
When taking into account the diameter of the root system, all “children” are included in the calculation. Rhizomes are also characterized by an impressive length that exceeds the stem.
The juice of these succulents has amazing properties. In small doses, it has a healing effect. It is also capable of causing a hallucinogenic effect. No wonder the Indian tribes used this plant in various rituals and shamanistic rites. In many countries, the cultivation and distribution of this representative of the flora is prohibited by law.
The classification of such cacti is most often determined by the composition of their juice. External differences of plants are minimal and often noticeable only to specialists. In this case, there were cases when a plant of one species of such cacti showed some signs of another species.
Williams cactus is different in that it contains mescaline in the juice, which can cause a strong hallucinogenic effect. It is worth knowing that in the Russian Federation it is forbidden to grow these plants in an amount of more than two pieces.
The stem diameter of such a flower is 120 millimeters, while its height is 70 millimeters. The petals of the flowers of such a cactus are painted in a white-pink tone. Interestingly, the plant can have various forms: comb, five-ribbed, bushy, deceptive or multi-ribbed.
A variety of "Jourdan" grows to a height of 60 millimeters, and its diameter reaches 70 millimeters. The trunk is represented by a combination of 14 ribs in the form of a spiral. Cactus blooms with red-purple buds.
Up to 80 millimeters in height grows "Lofofora" variety Fritsch. The diameter of this cactus is 120 millimeters. As in the previous version, 14 spiral-shaped parts are present on the stem. During flowering, the plant pleases the eye with carmine-red flowers.
A large diameter is characteristic of the spreading "Lofofora". It is as much as 130 millimeters. The stem of the plant has a yellow-green color and a height of 80 millimeters. The flowers are yellow and white.
The hedgehog Lofofora is distinguished by a stem with a diameter of 120 mm and 10 ribs of which it consists. The color of the plant is saturated dark green with a blue tint. The cactus blooms in small white flowers, the fruits are light pink in color.
The most massive trunk, reaching 200 millimeters in diameter, is characteristic of a cactus called greening. Its dark green surface covers many ribs. The plant has bright white flowers.
There is also yellow-green lutea of the same genus. Its diameter reaches 100 mm, and the stem has a brownish-gray tint. For such a plant, flowers are either light yellow or white-yellow in color.
Conditions of detention
For a cactus to successfully grow in a house or apartment, you need to create certain conditions for it.
- Artificial diffused lighting should be bright. In the event of direct sunlight on such a cactus, its stem can change color and slow down the already slow growth. Lighting should be maintained not only in the summer, but also in winter.
- Air temperature depends on the season. In the summer, it should be moderate, despite the fact that the Mexican plant can withstand quite high thermometer values. The optimal indicator is +20 degrees Celsius. In winter, the cactus needs to find a cool place in which the air will warm up to no more than 10 degrees.
- Additional humidity for this plant is not recommended. On the contrary, it will feel more comfortable if you lower the humidity level in the room.
- The acidity of the soil in which the plant will grow must be at a neutral level. The soil structure should be loose, so it is recommended to mix the soil with nutrients and loosening additives. An excellent option is perlite, turfy earth and crumb brick mixed together in a ratio of 2: 1: 1. Also, bone meal taken in small quantities will be an useful ingredient. The soil mixture should pass both water and air well.
- Given the long root system of the plant, it is important to choose a suitable pot for it. Do not forget to drain by placing fine gravel on top of the soil mixture.
It is not enough to properly land and create all the necessary conditions. It is also important to carry out timely plant care procedures.
- Watering is determined by three factors: the condition of the soil, season, and room temperature. In summer, the soil needs to be moistened 24-48 hours after it has completely dried out after the previous watering. Stop the introduction of moisture at the end of September. In winter, watering is not carried out due to the risk of rot. It is recommended to start moisturizing procedures again in March.
- Cactus should be fed during the stage of its intensive growth. The frequency of application of the substance is 1 time in 4 weeks. It is better to buy those fertilizers that are specially created for the cactus family.
- If the plant is young, once a year (in spring) it is necessary to transplant it. An older cactus needs to be moved to another pot only when its root system becomes closely in the old tank. You can trim long roots during transplantation, but not more than a quarter of their length.
Slices must be treated with charcoal and dried thoroughly before moving the plant to a new container.
The best way to propagate Lofofora is by planting seeds. They can be sown at any time of the year. This procedure is carried out according to a specific algorithm.
- Take a small container in depth, place large river sand and steamed soil mixture for flowers in a ratio of 1 to 1.
- Lightly rinse the substrate.
- Take out the seeds from the fruit (it is better to carry out this procedure immediately before planting). Distribute them on the soil surface and press evenly into it.
- Top should sprinkle the seeds with gravel.
- So that the soil mixture is saturated with moisture, the container must be placed in water for a third of an hour.
- Then it is placed in a plastic container and covered with a polyethylene film on top to create greenhouse conditions with a high level of humidity.
- Seeds should be kept indoors with a temperature of 20-30 degrees above zero. It is also important to provide plentiful lighting (at least 12 hours a day).
- Ventilate the soil and also moisturize it when the top layer begins to dry out.
- The first shoots can be expected after two weeks.
- After about 45 days, you can transplant the cacti into individual pots.
Diseases and Pests
Cacti of the genus "Lofofora" rarely suffer from parasites or any disease. If all the rules for the maintenance and care of the plant are followed, no problems should arise. If it’s not right to take care of the crop, you can provoke the malfunctioning of bacteria in the soil in which the cactus grows. For example, excessive watering can lead to rot.
Many are embarrassed by the too slow growth of the plant. Sometimes he is even mistaken for stunting. But in fact, this is a normal phenomenon, since Peyotl in conditions of indoor cultivation increases per year by no more than 10 millimeters.
In the next video, the transplant and pollination of the Peyote cactus are waiting for you.