The task of acoustic drywall is noise absorption. This is an important nuance, implying an improvement in the performance of acoustics in the room itself and is not intended to isolate extraneous sounds outside the apartment. Different types of such material have their own technical characteristics.
Features of building materials
Soundproof drywall is an innovative coating that appeared relatively recently on the construction market. It is used for walls and partitions to create the optimum sound level.
This effect is achieved by manufacturing a special perforated coating structure , the back of which is a special non-woven fabric. Sounds are muffled inside the holes of the gyro. Acoustic GCR is available in any color scheme, but mainly these are classic white, gray and black tones, so that the material can be selected depending on the general color orientation of the interior.
Based on the main purpose of the product is to create an obstacle to the reflection of sound waves from the walls, such gypsum plasterboards are applicable for facing:
- rehearsal classes;
- educational and scientific audiences;
- meeting rooms;
- music institutions;
- cinemas and concert halls.
In apartments and private houses, such sound insulation is relevant when creating a home recording studio, if there is a home theater or professional music equipment.
Innovation solves several problems at once:
- reduces the level of deafness;
- reduces any background sounds in the room;
- prevents the occurrence of echoes.
Thanks to the soundproof coating, low frequencies and human speech are more easily perceived. In addition, it is possible to carry out the lining with gyro on one's own using simple tools and without inviting qualified employees.
Varieties of Acoustic Drywall
Features of drywall boards are in the shape and location of the holes, which are essentially resonators, into which sound waves fall into a trap and are absorbed by the material.
It is these criteria that determine the different types of GCR:
- perforation is round, and holes reach 0.8 cm in diameter;
- square holes have sides 1.2 cm long;
- chaotic, scattered notch with round holes can have different parameters - from 0.8 to 21 cm.
More often continuous perforation or block perforation in the form of separate groups on the side surfaces of the plate.
Models of soundproof GCR can differ in their edges. This is “FC” - sheets with a folded (curly) edge and “PC” - with straight edges. An interesting detail of some sheets is the combination of different edges. So, drywall 2PK / 2FK has two curly and straight edges.
The type of perforation has a direct impact on both the quality characteristics and the appearance of the gypsum board.
If we take the sizes of ordinary drywall and soundproof, then they differ markedly:
- the width of the acoustic plates varies from 118, 8 to 120 cm;
- the length of different sheets varies from 199.8 to 240 cm;
- weight can also be different - from 8.8 to 9.5 kg.
- gypsum plasterboard without cloth has a standard thickness of 12.5 mm;
- the material has a density of 650-730 kg / m3.
During technological tests, it was proved that the greatest sound absorption occurs at medium frequencies of 500-2000 Hz and has an indicator of 0.85. For all types of drywall panels, it is equal to 0.55. In this regard, the smallest results for scattered slabs with round holes are 0.45.
It turns out that the drywall acoustic index depends on the type of perforation. But for any size and weight of the material, the sound insulation coefficient should be 0.2
Today, there are three brands of the highest quality and most popular products:
- Sound-absorbing drywall “Knauf” is a high-quality coating for residential and public buildings, created on the basis of environmentally friendly raw materials. The material is distinguished by a variety of shapes, sizes of edges, which allows seamless sheathing even of curved bases.
- Soundproof sheet Gyproc AKU-line has clear advantages over similar products, as it has a sophisticated edge. Due to this, the overall design is made without unnecessary thickening and is lightweight, without overloading the surface.
- Rigiton boards are high quality, versatile material from Denmark. Decorative and acoustic product has a unique perforated design, eliminates the appearance of seams, absorbs noise as much as possible, has optimal strength and durability. It can be painted and repaired. In addition, Rigitone Air sheets are equipped with an air purification function.
When purchasing goods, you need to have a good idea of how the installation of sound-absorbing gypsum boards is carried out.
Installation of ceiling and panels
Products with acoustic properties are used for the construction of the ceiling and walls.
To mount the plates, you will need the same tools as for an ordinary drywall sheet - an angle grinder, a narrow spatula, a building level, a grater and a mesh for grinding. And also necessary: drill, tape measure, plastic tube, drywall knife, manual, stuffed plunger gun
The supporting frame is made of galvanized profiles. Reinforced and combined suspension options, two-level "crabs" are also used. It is important that the joints of the ends between the plates are in the center of the profile. Sheets are stacked without offset. If the design is intended for a room with a large area, deformation sections are made every 15 m - they are necessary to reduce the load.
Around the perimeter leave an unclosed strip 1 cm wide and sheathe it with ordinary GCR in the form of a decorative horizontal tape. Such a frieze may be placed on top of the sheets.
Despite the sufficient simplicity of the workflow, it is necessary to follow some rules that will help to avoid poor-quality casing, and this, in turn, will affect noise absorption:
- it should be remembered that for facing one surface, sheets with the same edges and perforations are used;
- joints between panels are putty without the use of sickles and other types of reinforcing tape;
- before work, the sheets of drywall are cut with a slight bevel so that they are better kept by the solution and do not move;
- 3-4 mm must be left between the plates;
- first they process the putty of the recess from self-cutting screws and only after drying close the seams and grind;
- during operation, it is desirable to control the location of the perforation - the holes should be at the same level;
- after fastening with self-tapping screws for hardening, you can additionally pass the joints with putty, its excess is removed, and the hats of the screws are sealed with the composition.
You can paint the panels with oil paint, but it is better to do this with an aqueous emulsion.
Do not use lime or silicone-based paint formulations, since such solutions can adversely affect the structure of drywall.
Positive customer reviews show that proven products from well-known manufacturers really significantly reduce “internal noise” and are distinguished by their enviable durability. In addition, they look good, regardless of the style and design of the rooms.
Acoustic drywall is a modern sound-absorbing coating, characterized by the absence of toxic substances and safe to use.
It is easy to mount, it can be painted in the right color with any coloring compound. On the finished coating, the seams are virtually invisible. If you need to sheathe a ceiling or walls with this material, then this is quite real. Using a special tape for reinforcing - a sickle, there is always the possibility of building a continuous coating without joints.
For more information on installing drywall, see the following video.