In any living room, wallpaper is one of the main design elements. Properly selected, they can decorate the room, make it more comfortable and stylish. Alas, often the appearance of the wallpaper suffers from mechanical damage, children's drawings or accidental pollution. Anti-vandal wallpapers will help to prevent and get rid of such troubles.
What it is?
In apartments, where guests often come, live pets, have small children, damage to the wall covering is inevitable. To make the appearance of the walls longer pleasing to the eye, special anti-vandal wallpapers were developed. This coating is designed to reduce damage and maintain the original appearance of the wallpaper for a long time. The wear-resistant fabric is protected from temperature changes, it is denser than the usual wallpaper, which helps to avoid scratches. Such a material can be washed with ordinary water without fear of damaging the structure.
More often, ruggedized wallpapers are made from extruded vinyl. It is heavier and denser than the foamed version. Therefore, such a coating is not afraid of accidental mechanical damage, which is why it is customary to use it in public places. Sticking these wallpapers in the living room will help minimize harm from the claws of cats or dogs. That is why the second name of the anti-vandal coating is “ anti- claw”.
It should be remembered that you should not specifically try to damage the anti-vandal coating: it is not designed to pass strength tests.
Vandal-proof wallpapers have a number of indisputable advantages:
- they are environmentally friendly and do not cause allergies, so they can be safely used in the children's room;
- the service life of durable anti-vandal wallpaper can reach 10 years or more (to maintain their appearance it is enough to update the paint);
- such canvases are easy to clean: almost all versions of vandal-proof wallpapers can be washed using ordinary household chemicals;
- Durable wallpaper can be glued to any prepared surface.
A big plus of anti-vandal wallpaper for painting is the ability to change the color palette of a room without removing and re-gluing the base. A variety of shades of paint will allow you to choose the appropriate option in the color scheme of the room or combine several tones at once, diluting the main background with special colors.
To choose a wall covering with an anti-vandal effect, you need to understand what types of wear-resistant wallpapers exist today. The most dense, durable and wear-resistant is considered commercial wallpaper. Often they are called "contracted." Such coverage is used in public places where the flow of people is almost continuous (for example, in cinemas, clinics, restaurants, offices). So tightly durable and environmentally friendly, it does not cause allergic reactions.
Contracted wallpapers are often produced on a vinyl basis. The material for such a coating is pressed so that it is heavier, denser. Cloths of commercial anti-vandal wallpaper are much wider than in rolls intended for use in residential premises. Typically, the width of one canvas is 130 cm.
Sticking these wallpapers requires some skill, so professionals are sometimes attracted for cladding.
A variety of colors, textures and prints will allow you to choose a commercial coating suitable for any room. In care, such a canvas is unpretentious. Vandal-proof cullets are better and stronger than vinyl analogues. They are made of a specific material - glass yarns, giving them the shape of the canvas through special impregnations. Such fibers are elastic. Cullets will not be damaged by cat or dog claws, will not fade or deteriorate from water or fat.
This material repels dust. With this finish, you can paste over the kitchen or dining room: the material does not absorb odors, does not turn yellow under the influence of steam and high temperature. Cullets are classified as coatings intended for further painting. At the same time, you can change the color of the canvas, repainting it in any color, up to ten times. The canvases themselves are produced with a textured type of surface, which is offered in a wide range on the construction market. It is worth noting that the selected paint and primer give additional strength to the wallpaper.
Coatings based on non-woven are less durable, but more economical and diverse. Such material is harmless and has an important advantage: these wallpapers are elastic, they strengthen the walls in the house, where concrete can crack or deform after shrinkage. The anti-vandal type of coating differs from conventional non-woven wallpaper by the specifics of production. After manufacturing, the web is treated with a laser at high temperature.
This nuance allows the wallpaper to perfectly repel dust, water, tolerate cleanings with detergents. But mechanical damage (for example, scratches from claws) non-woven wallpaper is unstable, so pet owners are advised to look at other types of coating.
The least durable, but very effective photo wallpaper with a special coating can also be classified as anti-vandal. This fabric is additionally treated with a composition that repels moisture and increases the service life. The undoubted advantages of such wallpapers include their appearance and ease of washing. With the help of household chemicals, random stains or children's drawings can be removed from the coating. Due to this, these wallpapers received the second name "anti-marker" . Laminate flooring will be a good alternative to expensive commercial wallpaper.
Conventionally, anti-vandal can include metal wallpaper. They are distinguished by durability. Thanks to the top foil coating, this fabric does not fade, does not change color due to temperature and humidity. But mechanical influences can easily damage the appearance of such wallpapers. Often they are used for pasting the space by the fireplace, to protect the walls from burnout.
How to choose?
The choice of the most suitable wallpaper depends on the degree of the planned mechanical load:
- For a nursery or living room, laminate flooring is perfect. It is easy to wash off drawings from them. It is also easy to clean non-woven fabrics, if necessary, they can be painted.
- Commercial wallpapers will protect the walls from claw marks of pets. Cullets will also cope with this mission. The latter are denser to the walls, so tearing them off does not work even for a sufficiently large dog.
- The choice of wallpaper for the kitchen may vary depending on where they will be glued. For walls, a smooth non-woven coating for painting is suitable, but an apron that is most susceptible to dirt and damage should be pasted over with contracted linens. They will last as long as possible.
- Not so often the wallpaper is glued in the bathroom, but an anti-vandal coating on the shoulder can cope with high humidity. The walls of this room are best protected with cullet, they will not be damaged from water and steam.
Vandal-proof coating of wallpaper makes them denser and heavier, therefore such a canvas requires some skill in the process of pasting:
- Initially, the wall must be cleaned of dirt or dust covering it. Old whitewash and stains of fat must be removed.
- Before gluing the wallpaper, the wall must be carefully leveled and primed with a deep penetration primer. The absence of irregularities will allow the canvas to last much longer and look as aesthetically pleasing as possible.
- Cullets are glued to a mixture of the usual PVA with water. In this case, the solution is applied immediately to the wall.
- Vinyl wallpapers hold better on undiluted glue applied to the canvas itself.
- The first strip of wallpaper is glued in the center of the room, and all the following - in the joint to it.
- After the canvas is glued to the wall, you must wait 24 hours for the material to dry, after which you can start painting the walls.
Reviews show that the best paint for an anti-vandal cloth is an agent based on acrylic resins. The modern market offers a huge selection of such materials. There are two types that are most recommended in tandem with anti-vandal wallpaper: acrylic-latex and acrylic-silicone paints.
Alternative to wallpaper
With the obvious advantages of anti-vandal-coated wallpapers, this material has a certain drawback - all types of paintings are quite expensive. Therefore, you can protect the walls in other ways:
- In a house where there are cats or dogs, you can veneer the lower half of the wall with a laminate to match the floor. Smooth coating will not allow pets to leave marks on it.
- A more economical option, suitable for the kitchen or bathroom, is a special washable paint. Animals will not be able to scratch such walls, minor spots will simply be removed with the help of household chemicals.
- Familiar plastic panels are easy to clean, so they are not afraid of children's drawings. The smoothness of such a coating will not cause a cat or dog to desire to sharpen its claws. But it is worth remembering that plastic is a fragile material that easily suffers from mechanical stress.
Apartment owners who have chosen anti-vandal wallpaper as a wall covering note that this material does not require a lot of paint for processing. Pets, faced with increased rigidity and smoothness of the surface, eventually lose interest in it and choose other places for the claw point. Buyers attribute the brightness of the wallpaper to the decoration advantages, thanks to which saturated fresh notes can be added to the interior of the room.
Many buyers note that light laminated canvases with photo printing can be quite thin and shine through. Therefore, the store should pay attention to the thickness of the material. In addition to strength, such a cladding gives out all the bumps in the walls.
In the comments, it is noted that the choice should be made in favor of smooth and dense varieties of coatings.
The choice of anti-vandal wallpaper will avoid frequent re-sticking and changing the canvas. Depending on the manufacturer, such material can last from seven to fifteen years with the right paint and careful use.
About there, how to choose and use anti-vandal wallpapers, see the next video.