The Russian summer is not enough to charge indoor plants with energy and vitality for the whole year. The short daylight hours of the off-season and winter provide insufficient lighting for flowers. At the same time, for many people, green spaces in the house are not only a way to decorate the room and give it comfort, but also a source of additional income. In order for the plant to be pleasing to the eye, to be healthy, it needs certain conditions for development. Light is one of the most important conditions for the growth and health of home flora.
What is a UV lamp?
For the growth, cultivation and prosperity of green spaces, an additional light source is needed - an ultraviolet lamp for plants. Such a device for home use is also called a phytolamp or a lamp for greenery. It perfectly affects the vital activity of plants, using it is quite easy. A similar device is suitable for almost all types and types of indoor flora, giving the right amount of light for their life.
Phytolamp - a lighting device with ultraviolet light, intended for use in enclosed spaces in order to create the optimal light regime. You can buy it, but you can make it yourself. The artificial “sun” will provoke the processes of photosynthesis, the plant will release energy and oxygen as if it were growing under a real sun. Not all types of plants need an auxiliary UV light source, but only those in need of a long daylight. As a rule, this is tropical flora. The desire to minimize energy costs led to the invention of UV lamps.
The benefits and effects of ultraviolet radiation
UV glow in the form of light rays is a wave of different lengths (from 10 to 400 Nm). Up to 200 Nm - far ultraviolet, which is not used for domestic purposes. Waves up to 400 Nm in length are divided into:
- short-wave - from 200 to 290 Nm;
- medium-wave - from 290 to 350 Nm;
- long-wave - from 350 to 400 Nm.
Ultraviolet of long and medium waves acts in nature. Plants cannot exist without UV exposure; it tempers greens, makes it possible to tolerate temperature changes, nourishes and supports plants. A properly selected source of ultraviolet light can help new sprouts, sprouts appear, set fruit, develop a crown and root system, slow down or accelerate flowering.
Home Garden Lighting
When choosing or creating UV lamps, one must be guided by the rules of plant lighting, otherwise the lighting device will not only not contribute to development, but will also destroy the mini-garden. Requirements for the luminous flux from the phytolamp:
- it should be as close to a natural light source as possible;
- a limitation on the glow time is necessary, individual for each type of plant;
- electromagnetic radiation from the device must be suitable for environmental conditions;
- Do not exceed the level of necessary radiation;
- enough minimal satisfaction of the need for ultraviolet radiation.
UV lamps are classified and selected according to exposure. They can stimulate or inhibit flowering, accelerate the process of germination, the emergence of shoots, fruiting.
What threatens an improperly selected light source?
If you made a mistake with the choice of a lamp, the home flora will very quickly give a signal about this with its condition. The following symptoms should be noted:
- plant disease;
- the sudden appearance of insects, for example, a spider mite;
- the plant does not bloom or bear fruit, although in terms of time it is expected;
- leaf blades faded, dull;
- burns on the leaves;
- greens stale, sluggish, drooping.
The lamps are used as follows:
- for a complete replacement of natural light - this is possible only with full control of the indoor climate;
- periodic use - relevant in the off-season in order to increase the duration of daylight hours;
- as an additional light source - the processes of photosynthesis are most actively stimulated.
How to choose?
Phytolamps are represented by three main types.
- LED light. The most cost-effective option, as it has a very long service life and is characterized by low power consumption. At the same time, they perfectly affect the development of flora, emit a little heat, do not provoke moisture evaporation, which allows less frequent watering of plants. In addition, such lamps allow you to change the light shades. You can create them yourself.
- Energy saving. As simple as possible to use, just screw them into the cartridge. It is important to choose the right type of glow: cold or warm. The first affects the development and growth, the second - on flowering.
- Luminescent. When using them, there is no heating, respectively, no effect on the climate in the room occurs. You can choose models with blue lamps that accelerate photosynthesis.
Many life processes of the home flora depend on the color of radiation: red provokes germination, blue promotes cell renewal, and purple is used as a growth stimulator. Antibacterial UV lamps operating on the principle of tanning beds are categorically unsuitable for plants, since the far ultraviolet emitted by these devices is contraindicated in colors.
Recommendations for use
To use the UV device as efficient as possible, you must consider the rules for its use:
- so that the result is more pronounced, bring the light source closer to the plant, if you want to reduce the effect, delete it;
- in the off-season and in winter, increase the residence time of plants under a phytolamp by 4 hours;
- make sure that the stream of light is directly directed towards the flower;
- keep in mind that in large doses, ultraviolet negatively affects people, animals and plants, so the use of lamps should be constantly monitored.
There is practically no harm to humans from such devices, since their radiation is proportional to the sun. But in large doses, it is harmful, so you can not be constantly under the source of light and look at it. When buying a device, pay attention to the parameters that allow you to protect living objects from its effects.
- UV light should be negligible.
- Select the device exactly as intended. For each purpose, there are different lamps - for photosynthesis, seed germination, acceleration of flowering, etc.
- The spectrum and the angle of radiation must be chosen correctly.
- Adequate product size is a very important parameter. It must not exceed the area to be illuminated.
You can build a UV lamp with your own hands, but for this you need at least basic knowledge of electrical devices. In stores, you can purchase an assembly kit, which already has all the necessary materials, or buy each item separately.
The modern market is saturated with a variety of UV devices from various companies and manufacturing countries.
- "Ladder-60." Suitable for greenhouse premises and apartments, mounted on cables. Able to act as the only source of lighting. Promotes rapid growth, increased fruiting. Service life - up to 60 months.
- "Mini-farmer Bicolor." Ideal for use at home, it increases the rate of fruit ripening, the appearance of flower ovary, stimulates all stages of flora development. LED type device is equipped with lenses that increase the spectrum of exposure. Screwed into the cartridge, requires ventilation.
- "Brightens Fito." A dual-mode lamp, used as a backlight and the main light emitting, does not harm the eyes, is economically beneficial in terms of energy costs. It has a blue backlight and a mode for flowering and fruiting.
- “Solntsedar Fito-P D-10”. The device is protected from moisture and dust, suitable for use in home environments and greenhouses. Equipped with lenses, plastic light diffuser. It is possible to adjust the direction of the light rays. Able to positively affect the cultivation of fruits, herbs, berries. Increases yield by about a third. Energy consumption is very modest.
- Philips Green Power. Phytolamp sodium type. Suitable for shrubs, low-growing plants. The highest degree of light output is used in greenhouse-greenhouse rooms. It accelerates the germination of seedlings, optimal for exotic tropical plants. It has a blue backlight. The power consumption is low, the glass is highly durable, and its service life is very long.
- "Flora Lamps E27." One phytolamp is enough for several growing crops. It can be used in greenhouse-greenhouse premises. Equipped with red and blue colors. It perfectly stimulates photosynthesis, inexpensive, non-energy-consuming, service life - up to 60 months.
- "Fitawatt Harau." The device is distinguished by a low price, convenient installation, good power. Suitable for any enclosed space, it can be used at any stage of growth. There is a power switch. Available in 4 dimensions, which allows you to choose the right model.
- SPB-T8-Fito. Suitable for beginner gardeners, as it has a very simple design. Ideal for a variety of crops. Suspended on cables, placed at any distance from the flora, does not give heat. It has a red backlight, the light for the eyes is not harmful. It perfectly stimulates the growth and strengthening of roots, tops, leaves. Reduces humidity and evaporation processes, allows less frequent watering of plants.
- "Jazzway PPG T8". The lamp is sold in almost all specialized retail outlets. Good for fruit bearing crops, equipped with blue and red lights. Great for indoor use. Service life - more than 25 thousand hours.
- "The beam of 16 watts." It will best cope with seedlings and indoor flowers, positively affect the processes of flowering, fruiting, growth. Light emission does not harm the eyes. The device is lightweight, does not overheat, can be located at any distance and height from them.
See how to choose the right UV lamp for plants in the next video.