People are drawn to comfort: they make renovations in apartments, acquire plots in the country and build houses there, share bathrooms and put showers in the bathroom and toilets with a micro-lift in the toilet. The article will examine the question of what a toilet with an oblique outlet means, and what is its design.
There are two types of toilets, the bowls of which have different directions of the exhaust pipe: in one of them it is directed vertically, in the other - horizontally. Among the horizontal there are also differences - toilets with direct and oblique outlets. The latter is sometimes called a corner release. In some sources, the direct and angular options are simply attributed to different types of toilets.
In Russia and the countries that were previously part of the USSR, the most common for the design of connections with sewage are toilet bowls with a horizontal outlet. And especially with the angular (oblique) version of it. This circumstance is explained by the typical arrangement of sewer pipes in the Soviet city urban planning. Currently, little has changed, multi-storey buildings are being built on the same principle. In the toilet rooms of apartments, it is simply impossible to put a toilet with a vertically directed exhaust pipe.
Oblique release - this means that the end of the outlet pipe, connecting through the elbow to the sewer, is made at an angle of 30 degrees relative to the floor.
This design solution has a great advantage over toilets with other options for the discharge of contents into the sewer.
Now in stores there are a lot of toilets of different types, designs, colors, and even a set of functionality - luxury bathrooms with heated seats, like in a car, a retractable bidet and even a hairdryer. In domestic plumbing stores, for obvious reasons, most toilets have a corner outlet system.
The fact is that the toilets differ not only in the appearance of the bowl, but also in its internal structure. And this is a more important point, which is crucial when choosing a toilet for your home.
According to the design of the bowl, the toilet bowls are divided into the following types.
- Dishwashers with a one-piece shelf - a type of toilet bowl that is already a thing of the past, but still found on sale. A shelf (or plate) is the very element on which substances of vital products are intended for subsequent flushing into the sewer;
- Visors with a one-piece shelf or slope - the most common type, which has undeniable advantages in its design. Has a shelf located at a slope of 30-45 degrees to the front or rear wall of the bowl, or a visor specially arranged in the bowl;
- Funnel - shaped - also have a distribution, but of a slightly different nature: this type is more popular for installation in public places than in apartments.
One has only to look inside the bowl, and the type of device immediately becomes clear. Finding out which outlet pipe — straight, oblique, or vertical — needs a toilet for an apartment or a house is easy even where it has never been before, but there are sewer pipes. Everyone knows about the practice of modern apartment construction under the “black” and “gray” keys.
By the way the bell of the sewer pipe is arranged, onto which the adapter connecting the exhaust pipe and the sewer will be wound, a conclusion is drawn about the design of the future toilet.
It is also useful to know the nature of the flow when draining water from the tank into the bowl. There are the following methods of washing the contents in the bowl and cleaning it:
- cascading, in which water along the pipe in one stream washes the bowl;
- circular, when the drain water washes the bowl through several holes located in a circle under the rim of the bowl; in modern models, water jets from the holes are directed downward at an angle to cover a larger flush area.
And another feature that is important for choosing and installing a toilet bowl is the option of connecting the drain tank to the water supply network. There are tanks with a bottom water supply, in which the water hose is connected to the tank inlet from below, and tanks with a side supply (inlet on the side of one of the sides of the tank, closer to the lid).
Advantages and disadvantages
A device for a bathroom with an oblique release has its pros and cons. But positive qualities prevail, which is confirmed by the good demand for these particular models. Advantages of the product are reduced to several points.
- The main advantage of this design is the absence of a strictly fixed position of the toilet in relation to the sewer pipe, which is notorious for products with direct or vertical discharge. Allowed the location of the sewer to the toilet with angular outlet at an angle of 0-35 degrees. This circumstance gave reason to call such a design universal.
- Thanks to the inclined outlet of the toilet, its installation in the sewer system is greatly facilitated. Any small inaccuracies in the location of the sewer pipe are easily compensated.
- Such a bowl rarely clogs, because in the device for its release there are no sharp turns at a right angle - only smooth at an angle of 45 degrees. The inclined design does not create a large mass of waste material of great resistance.
A big "minus" of such products is noise when flushing. In the combined rooms of the toilet and bathroom, they occupy a significant area.
And if you use hanging bowls with hidden drain tanks, or attached models, then there are other inconveniences associated with the repair or replacement of toilets.
Among the bowls with the design of the internal device, of course, the visor type models stand out for their advantages:
- the washes are cleaned off cleanly, additional manipulations on cleaning the bowl (for example, with a brush) are rarely required;
- the presence of a visor and a low level of “standby” water in the hydraulic lock prevent it from splashing with the subsequent ingress of particles of water and sewage onto the skin of a seated person;
- Thanks to the water seal, unpleasant odors and gases from the sewage system do not enter the room.
In comparison with the funnel-shaped counterpart, the visor toilet has a “minus” - a large flow rate of water for flushing. But partly the problem is solved by installing a dual-mode flush button (with the appropriate device for this in the tank).
Bowl engineers with a funnel-shaped inner shape try to eliminate splatter in their models. They are looking for the ideal placement of the outlet channel in the bowl and the nominal water level in it, at which there should be no spraying. This system was called "anti-splash."
Materials of manufacture
The most popular and revered material for making toilet bowls is porcelain. For people looking for a budget option, earthenware products are made. For public toilets, stainless steel and plastic devices are suitable.
But expensive bowls and devices relying on them can be poured out of artificial marble or cut out of natural stone, as well as made of glass.
The most hygienic and durable (with careful consideration) is considered a porcelain product. Faience is considered an analogue of porcelain, but is much inferior to it in strength, durability and resistance to detergents. Its only “plus” is its low price.
Popular models and brands
Comparing manufacturers of sanitary ware, among domestic ones, the best of them can be distinguished:
- Santek - is a leader in Russian sanitary ware, producing universal products at affordable prices. Regularly in high places in the ranking in terms of quality and cost of products;
- Sanita is also one of the leaders. The products of this manufacturer are exclusively made of porcelain, which is not inferior to the materials of the leading Western suppliers of toilet bowls. Unfortunately, the bowls of this company do not have anti-splash (a special shelf on the rim of the bowl). But the pricing policy of the enterprise is most popular;
- Santeri - this manufacturer, due to design ideas and high technologies, creates a competitive plumbing that is in good demand among a domestic buyer.
All enterprises use foreign production lines.
Among the foreign manufacturers of sanitary ware that have good reviews on affordability and price and quality, we can name such companies:
- Gustavsberg - a Swedish concern, supplying convenient plumbing equipment for apartments, including for the disabled;
- Jika is a Czech company with production facilities not only at home, but also in Russia, which puts its toilet bowls in a number of inexpensive, but high-quality products. One of the sought-after products is toilet bowls of the Jika Vega compact type with a funnel-shaped bowl and a dual-mode flush;
- Roca is a Spanish brand of sanitary ware production: it features collections for small rooms and electronic toilets; attracted by a diverse product style.
Among manufacturers of high-end products, the AM brand is considered the most famous. PM (UK, Italy, Germany).
For summer cottages, offices or apartments with a small family budget, inexpensive models of toilets are Katun and Tom products of the Novokuznetsk Universal plant. They have porcelain funnel-shaped bowls, oblique descent and tanks with bottom or side eyeliner.
A distinctive feature of oblique toilets is that the installation does not require special plumbing skills. For the case of replacing the old toilet, the tips are as follows:
- measure the base level with the horizontal level of the site and correct irregularities that can lead to loosening and cracks in the bowl;
- if the base is not dense or dirty enough, then it is better to remove it and fill in a new one;
- it is better to mount the bowl to the floor with screws - it will be more convenient to work with the installation of the bowl;
- the final tightening of the fasteners should be done after the bowl is fully installed with the outlet connected to the sewer.
All tank devices are sold already assembled, it remains only to insert them into the right places according to the drawing and manufacturer's instructions.
The main objective is the operation of connecting the exhaust pipe to the sewer socket. This is done in one of three ways:
- directly into the socket (ideal when replacing the same type of toilet bowl);
- using a corrugated plumbing sleeve;
- using an eccentric cuff.
The main thing with any method is to reliably seal joints with O-rings and sealant. And after finishing work, give time to dry the sealing compound.
See how to choose a toilet and which one is better in the next video.