Overhaul is rarely complete without the use of drywall sheets. This material is quite practical and has a long service life. Sometimes difficulties arise when laying ceramic tiles on such a surface. If you understand all the nuances, then you can independently do this procedure in any room of your home.
Drywall sheets made it possible not to use various mixtures for repairs to level the walls. Making a special frame and installing gypsum plaster is much easier than working through walls with gypsum plaster for hours. Drywall sheet can be covered with clinker, tile and ceramic tiles.
Laying tiles on drywall is a simple task. As a result of such work does not appear a lot of construction dirt and dust.
Laying tiles on a drywall basis is possible both in residential and commercial premises.
There are certain rules, thanks to which even a beginner can easily cope with the work.
The listed features must be taken into account, otherwise errors cannot be avoided:
- Laying tiles on drywall requires careful calculations. It is important to maintain clear geometry during installation. Facing with tiles will not tolerate hackwork and negligence.
- When choosing drywall, be sure to consider the features of the room in which you will make repairs. For facing work in the bathroom or in the kitchen, be sure to choose gypsum board with high moisture resistance. Otherwise, a brand new repair will please you very briefly.
- Carefully refer to the construction of the frame under the drywall. All elements must be in the same plane. Each structural element requires reliable fixation so that the base is rigid and resistant.
- Remember that there should be small gaps between the gypsum wall and adjacent walls, floor or ceiling.
- Between the vertical beams of the frame should be no more than 40 cm. A greater distance will lead to the fact that the drywall begins to bend during operation, and maybe already at the lining stage.
The quality of the work depends on the choice of glue.
The right frame, good drywall, and expensive tiles without the right glue are a waste of effort. Pay attention only to reliable manufacturers who have already earned the trust of consumers.
When buying, carefully study the composition of the mixture and the area of use. Good options:
- Cement-based mortar. It is worth noting that such glue is not accepted for plaster work. If your drywall sheets are covered with cardboard, then such a solution is quite suitable. Now rarely use this adhesive.
A mixture of cement and sand securely fastens the tile to the wall. The use of such a tool by beginners is not the best option. If you make a mistake, then it will be very difficult to fix it.
- Elastic adhesive for tiles. One of the best options for the adhesive. Available in the form of a finished mixture or dry powder, which must be diluted according to the instructions. A great option for beginners, it is possible to correct the location of the tiles already on the surface of the GCR.
- Liquid nails of different types. One of the most modern compositions. Available in convenient plastic containers. For use, you will have to acquire a special gun.
Some believe that such materials can be used to carry out all work from start to finish.
At the same time, experts urge the use of liquid nails for spot work, when some elements are still behind the surface.
Drywall box requires some preparatory work. You need to start this process immediately after laying the sheets on the walls. First of all, make the necessary holes for pipes, sockets and other communications. You will definitely need a primer and a roller with a brush to apply it. Drywall must be primed in 2 layers to improve adhesion between the material and the solution.
Before starting to prepare the solution, be sure to determine the location of the first tile. To do this, use a level, a pencil and one tile. Lay the fragment in the corner and circle the outline. Be guided by these contours and level when drawing lines across the wall. A horizontal profile can help you, use it as a guide.
Preparatory work is carried out as follows:
- Joint Processing. Joints of sheets need to be embroidered. Use a construction knife. The tool should be held at an angle of 45 degrees to the center. Trim each side.
- Seams need to be putty. The first layer of the composition should completely cover the voids. After that, glue the reinforced tape, this will help to avoid the formation of cracks in the future. The tape must be smeared into the surface that you are leveling.
- Grinding. Sand uneven areas if necessary.
- Primer surface. For priming work, choose products with antiseptics in the composition. To improve the tightness and strength it is necessary to treat the surface in 2 layers.
- Choosing a tile laying scheme. When choosing a scheme, the surface area of the wall is taken into account. Count the number of horizontal rows of tiles. Next, divide the length of the wall by the width of the tile, taking into account the width of the gaps.
If as a result of division you get a number more than 0.5 of the width of one tile - start laying from the edge that is better viewed. So you can arrange cropped tiles in an inconspicuous place. If the remainder of the division remains a number that is less than 0.5 of the width of the tile - start laying from the middle of the wall. So cropped tiles will look symmetrical and beautiful.
- Preparation of the adhesive. At this stage, fully and completely follow the instructions of the selected material. Popular dry mixes must be diluted with water in the proportion specified by the manufacturer. First, pour the mixture into the container, and then add the liquid.
For high-quality mixing of such a mixture, a drill with the appropriate nozzle can be used. Do not mix a lot of solution at once. Masters with experience recommend diluting as much of the composition as necessary for laying tiles per 1 sq. m of drywall surface.
After you have primed drywall, you can proceed to preparing the tiles. Choose a well-lit place in the apartment, and on the clean floor lay out the elements in accordance with the selected pattern. Use not only the main tiles, but also elements for decoration (borders and the like). To account for gaps, use special crosses.
If you have a computer-designed and printed drawing, then the calculation will not take much time. Even if you do not have such an assistant sheet, this should not serve as a reason for refusing to lay out the drawing. Remember, there is always a chance that the party will have elements of various shades (darker or lighter than indicated). Neglect of the preparation of the tiles can lead to the fact that these elements will be in prominent places and spoil the impression.
In addition, sorting will help you find tiles that are not suitable for installation - broken, with chips or with violations of the decorative glaze. If the damage is not very serious, then these tiles can be used for cutting. Perform this procedure immediately.
To cut tiles, you only need a pencil and a special winning cutter. Using a pencil, draw a clear line on the front side, repeat it with a cutter. It is important to cut not only decorative glaze, but also go deep into the base. To separate, hold the element by the opposite side and easily hit the edge of any wooden surface (table, beam, etc.). The tile will split evenly along the intended line.
Another option is to cut the tile. Also draw a line with a pencil on the decorative side. Next, chisel to cut the surface so that a continuous notch is formed up to 2 mm deep. From the back, hit the tile with a hammer in the central part. Do not make a lot of effort so as not to spoil the element. Finally, grab the sandpaper and carefully sand the edge of the part.
After you have verified that the tiles are neat and identical, check that they are even. To do this, apply two elements to each other, evaluate the quality of angles and borders. Lay the item on a flat floor and make sure it fits snugly across the entire surface.
How to lay yourself?
Laying tiles on the basis of drywall begins with the 2nd row. To prevent tile displacement, use a wooden rail or metal profile. Properly lay the tile on a drywall with your own hands is quite possible.
Prepare such a toolkit:
- Spatula (simple and with cloves).
- A rag or sponge.
- Vessel for adhesive solution.
- Building level.
- SVP (tile leveling system) or plastic crosses for leveling.
- Rubber spatula or grater.
Simple and clear technology:
- Prepare the glue based on the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Draw a solution with a spatula and spread on the area where you will lay the first tile. Using a notched trowel, smooth the surface.
- The tile should be slightly damp. After wetting, apply a thin layer of glue.
- The surface should be lined according to the marking applied at the early stages. Be sure to double-check accuracy with a level.
- If you put too much glue, it will come out after pressing. Remove this adhesive immediately with a spatula. After the first tile, the optimum thickness of the adhesive layer becomes clear.
- Fix the second tile in the same way as the first.
- Between two elements immediately place SVP or crosses. They will help you form a smooth and neat joint.
- Tiles on a drywall surface are laid in rows. After the first, immediately go to the second.
- All further cladding is of the same type. Lastly, you need to glue the tiles that were trimmed. Also, the bottom row needs to be put already after you carry out the necessary work with the floor.
- If you notice that the glue appears on the decorative part of the tile, then immediately wipe it off with a cloth or sponge.
Leave the surface for several days until the glue has completely dried. Make sure the tile holds well and proceed to grout.
This process goes like this:
- Remove any residual adhesive and remove the SVP or crosses.
- Prepare grout mastic.
- For application, use a special grater or rubber spatula.
- Carefully fill the seams with mastic. Remove excess mixture with a sponge or cloth.
At this, facing work ends. Now your drywall is decorated with tiles and has an unrivaled look. If necessary, you can additionally use impregnation or sealant, but not earlier than after 2 days.
Experts believe that not any drywall is suitable for such work. You should use a special moisture-resistant material - GVLV. If for some reason you do not have such an opportunity, then under the gypsum plasterboard put guide strips in increments of 40 cm, the sheets should be fixed on these strips using self-tapping screws or a construction stapler.
In some cases, the strips can be replaced with a polypropylene plaster mesh. It helps to avoid bending sheets during swelling. Such a grid is glued using the usual PVA, and in addition is attached with brackets.
Important subtleties during the work:
- The primer should be applied at intervals of 45 minutes.
- Professionals recommend abandoning the roller and brush, it is better to use a gear grater for applying a primer. Apply the mixture evenly on the surface of the sheet, and evenly distribute the composition with the serrated side.
- The glue should be diluted with water to a thick sour cream. It is this consistency that allows you to achieve maximum adhesive properties.
- You need to press small tiles to the wall with your hands. If the elements are too large, then use a plastic or wood hammer with a special rubber pad.
- Lay the tiles gradually. Take an hour break every 5 rows. This simple technique will help relieve tension that occurs at the base of the wall.
- After grouting, it is recommended to apply varnish. It will protect the surface from moisture and dirt.
- Periodically check the cladding plane with a building level or level rail. If suddenly waves form, then you will correct them in time.
- The decorative mosaic must be placed on the tile grout, and not on the adhesive solution. Otherwise, you will have to clean the seams from the remnants of glue.
Despite the fact that it is not difficult to put tiles on a drywall sheet, there are some tricks for facing small rooms and rooms with high ceilings.
Such nuances will help create high-quality wall cladding in a small room:
- Choose small tiles. You can even stop at the mosaic tile.
- Take a closer look at the elements of light tones, so the room will look bigger and brighter.
- Give preference to a tile with a glossy decorative side.
- Choose the simplest horizontal patterns.
Facing work in a large room will be simplified by following these recommendations:
- Lay the tile vertically.
- Decor elements should be placed at eye level.
- Cut the elements that will be located on the floor.
See how to properly lay tiles on drywall in the video below.