The kitchen is the most favorite and cozy place in the house, so it is important to think through the style of the interior, choose the right combination of color, texture. Decorating the kitchen with tiles and wallpaper is the central link in the design. It is not enough just to gently stick the materials; it is important to select and combine them. Kitchen interiors can be bright or decorated in restrained colors.
In addition to visual effect, materials should be practical, resistant to moisture, high temperature.
Choose a finish
Despite the wide range of materials for finishing kitchens, traditional tiles and wallpapers still occupy a leading position.
The main qualities that you pay attention to when choosing a wall covering are non-fading, resistance to steam and heat, a harmonious design. Offers a wide selection of wallpapers.
- On a paper basis. This is a very inexpensive segment, represented by a variety of colors and ornaments. For the kitchen, this type is not recommended, it can not be cleaned. However, it is possible to use them in combination with more resistant materials, making out the dining area.
- On a non-woven basis. This is a more serious version of paper wallpaper, which, in addition to cellulose, also includes polymer. They are good for painting, their structure is unusual. Gluing them is very simple, they allow air to pass through, are dense and easy to clean. An indisputable advantage is the ability to repaint if the design is tired.
- Vinyl. The most common form, their basis can be both paper and non-woven with vinyl coating. They perfectly conceal wall defects, durable, easy to care for, and tolerate mechanical damage. They give great opportunities for design, as they imitate wood, stone, brick. Less - they do not allow air to pass through, therefore, in too damp rooms, antifungal treatment is recommended.
- Cullets. A novelty with high strength, the fungus under them will not develop, they are heat resistant and not subject to static. They can not lose their original appearance up to 30 years. If the design is boring, you can easily repaint it. Of the minuses - the high cost and the need for perfectly smooth surfaces. There are wallpapers from bamboo, textiles, murals, liquid, but they are suitable only as an element of the design of the dining area due to their fragility. The popularity of wallpaper in the design of the walls of the kitchen is explained by the simplicity of dismantling and stickers, affordable price, as well as a huge selection of options.
- Tile. Ceramic tile is a hit for all time. She is incredibly practical, durable, elementary in care. Moreover, manufacturers every year offer new tiles of different sizes, shades, textures, and ornaments. The most popular solution is to tile the work area, the so-called apron. So you will protect the walls from stains, stains, grease, from the tile all this is removed very simply.
The tile is not afraid of moisture and temperature changes - these properties allow you to safely use it in the area of cooking surfaces.
Tile in shape can be:
- square, 10 by 10 or even 50 by 50 cm;
- rectangular in different sizes;
- classic-sized bricks;
- mosaic or imitation of a mosaic;
- octagon with oblique corners;
- decorative elements, such as panels, friezes, which add expressiveness, originality to the design and harmoniously fit into the overall composition.
The most impractical view of all the above is a mosaic, there are a lot of seams in this design, and dirt and microbes accumulate in them. Visually, tiles are classified into glossy and matte. The easiest way to care is gloss without thread, in addition, it is more practical in terms of the visibility of stains, drops and stains.
Another plus is the obvious visual expansion of the space, which is especially important for small rooms.
Combination of materials
Most often, in modern housing, the kitchen combines both the working and dining areas, so its functionality is expanded. The correct combination of materials will allow you to take into account the characteristics of each of the zones and distribute them adequately to the load. Work spaces that are prone to contamination, high humidity and heat can ideally be tiled. This is a sink, hob. The rest of the room can be safely finished with wallpaper, it is cheaper, more interesting from the point of view of design, more comfortable, leaves a field for interior experiments. The use of additional elements in the decor looks great: glass panels, decorative plaster, photographs on various surfaces, wooden finishes.
How to make joints?
The methods of laying out the tiles depend on the size and shape of the selected material, the presence of decor. Experts distinguish between three main methods:
- diagonal, that is, the direction of the masonry goes from one corner to another, suitable only for the square shape of the tile;
- the reverse or offset method, in essence, is similar to brick laying, in which the material of subsequent rows is laid so that its center falls on the seam of the lower row;
- traditional, in this case, tiles of any shape and size are laid out in an even row, the seams form the correct grid.
These methods are used both for laying walls and floors. Ideally, the tile for both surfaces should match in style and color, be from the same collection. If you decide to combine materials from different manufacturers, be sure to lay down a certain amount of stock when buying, which will go to errors when cutting and fitting.
As a rule, it is not less than 15%
There are three ways to create an aesthetic imperceptible transition between materials:
- with the help of a grout, rounding inward, after drying, the joint is polished, the wallpaper is glued with an overlap;
- decorate the joint with a grout, paint it to the color of the wallpaper;
- use lining made of metal or wood, if the selected design allows.
The brighter the tile, the sharper the contrast, the calmer, laconic the walls should be. Observing this simple rule, you can avoid too flashy and intrusive interior, even using very bright tiles to design the working area.
To enter such a combination, it is enough to dilute it with a third neutral shade, for example, white, and use it as the main color of the wallpaper.
An incredibly positive combination of shades of yellow and blue looks great on a snow-white background.
The yellow and blue composition will serve as an excellent backdrop for blue accents and neutral color wallpapers.
Such a color scheme will look especially advantageous in a patterned version on a muted gray-blue background.
About the features of finishing and repairing the kitchen with tiles and wallpaper, see the video below.