Currently, some models of smartphones come with a feature that allows you to broadcast on them various television channels. This option is provided thanks to special TV tuners. Today we will talk about the main features of such devices and their varieties.
TV tuners are capable of easily picking up TV signals at certain frequencies.
With the help of such small devices, a cell phone can act as a miniature TV, and Internet access will not be required.
These tuners will allow broadcasting programs not only on smartphones. Previously, they were also used for some models of push-button phones (for example, Nokia N92, released in 2005) - the latter were equipped with small antennas that could extend slightly. After the advent of the Android operating system, which is installed in most smartphone models, the need for such antennas has disappeared, but this function has become even more popular among users.
In modern smartphones, antennas are hidden in the inside of the case.
Currently, there are not many such mobile phones on the market, mainly Chinese-made smartphones.
Today, developers can offer consumers various types of television tuners for smartphones, allowing broadcasts without access to the Internet. Such devices can be divided into two large groups.
- Analogue These models are able to receive and process incoming data from traditional television broadcasting. These types of tuners receive signals that come from television towers, as well as satellite and cable systems. Analog views turn them into a new signal that will be available for your technical devices.
- Digital Such tuners are considered the most popular among cell phone users. They are a device that is capable of receiving and processing digital signals. Models of this type are divided into several separate categories, depending on which format they can support. So, it is worth highlighting tuners that support SDTV, EDTV, HDTV resolutions. But at the same time, the first 2 options are practically not supported in Russia, so the HDTV device will be the best option.
In addition, all TV tuners for mobile phones can be divided into two more large categories, depending on which way they connect to the device.
- Internal These types are expansion cards; they are installed directly inside the technical device. Internal tuners are considered a budget option. But for their installation, you will have to open the smartphone case to insert such a product in the right place, and not every user can do this procedure on their own.
- External These varieties are considered a more convenient option, since you do not need to open the phone case to install them, but their cost will be higher compared to the first sample. External USB tuners look like flash drives. They can be connected to the device at any time and disconnected from it.
Currently, in almost any electronics store you can find different types of TV tuners for smartphones. The most popular models of such devices include several instances.
- AVerTV Mobile 510. The model is available in a small blister, inside which is the tuner itself and two small antennas (one of them is telescopic for mobile use, and the second on the wire, it is designed for stationary use). This model is a miniature black design in the form of a rectangle, its total weight is only about 8 grams. On one side of the product is a special plug designed to connect to a smartphone, on the other - you can find a connector for the antenna. To start operation, only one antenna (telescopic) should be inserted into the device. The second element on the wire is connected using the provided nozzle (most often it is a suction cup or clothespin). It can firmly fix on almost any surface. This model can receive the necessary signals in the formats DVB-T / T2, HDTV. In addition, it is able to scan television broadcasts and record television broadcasts if necessary.
- PAD TV PT 360. This TV tuner for your phone allows you to watch channels that are broadcast on the territory of a certain region (about 20 different channels, including several radio stations). The device looks like a regular USB flash drive, differs in miniature size, so it is convenient to take it with you on long trips. In one set, together with the tuner, there are 3 antennas. One of them is a sliding system, a small suction cup is attached to it at the bottom. This product antenna can be attached to any surface, it is often installed in machines. All other elements are attached directly to the smartphone.
- Lunas TV-1. Such a device is a miniature unit that can function thanks to a lithium battery. The design is equipped with a thin retractable antenna. The model makes it possible to watch television broadcasts in good quality at a distance of about 30 meters. The product allows the connection of several different technical devices at once. Charge this tuner most often with the usual charge, which has a micro USB connector. One full charge lasts at least 4 hours of continuous operation.
Phones with built-in TV tuners
In electronics stores today you can find models of cell phones that are already equipped with a tuner for broadcasting. These samples include a number of varieties of smartphones.
- Texet TM-607 TV. This model is equipped with a high-quality and durable display (its diagonal is 3.5 inches) and a processor with a high level of power. This phone comes with a small retractable antenna. The internal memory of the device is 128 MB, the amount of RAM is 64 MB.
- Alcatel Tribe 3041. French-made cell phones with built-in tuners have the longest life, with a screen size of 3.5 inches. The amount of internal memory is 128 MB. Such smartphone models are available in a variety of colors.
- LG Optimus VU. Korean smartphone with a built-in TV tuner is equipped with a high-quality display, the diagonal of which is 5 inches. Camera 8 megapixels. RAM is 1 GB, internal memory is 26.5 GB.
- ZTE Leo M1. This Chinese model belongs to the most budget options. It provides for the possibility of using 2 SIM cards at once. The sample comes with an analog tuner, which makes it possible to watch high-quality television broadcasts. In this case, a special headset, which is sold together with the phone itself in one set, will serve as the receiving antenna. The viewing itself is carried out using the application, which should be downloaded in advance to the device.
- ZenFone Go. The model is equipped with a built-in tuner that can support most of the broadcast formats. To view the device, first connect the antenna included in the kit. It is a special adapter for headphones.
Before buying a TV tuner for a mobile phone, pay attention to some important selection rules. So, immediately decide which type you need. External samples are considered the most convenient to use, but their price will be much higher compared to internal ones.
Also, when choosing, consider how many devices the tuner will be used for. Most often in the store there are samples calculated for only one device. But there are also separate models to which you can immediately connect several technical devices (Lunas TV-1).
When purchasing a phone with a built-in TV tuner, look at the diagonal value of the smartphone.
If you periodically watch television channels on the phone, then it is better to choose a model with a larger diagonal. When using such devices for regular trips, you can take more miniature samples with a small mass.
For more information on TV tuners for phones, see the video below.