When working with ceramic tiles, liquid nails are used. This material has a number of features, pluses and minuses: we understand together.
What is it?
Liquid nails - a modern adhesive composition, which is used to connect parts in construction. The strength of the joint is equivalent to fastening parts with nails. This glue is packaged in convenient packaging for work in the form of tubes of various designs, which are securely closed for the period of inactivity. Otherwise, the glue may deteriorate. This is a reliable adhesion for most materials and surfaces, including ceramic tiles and gypsum substrates.
The drying and hardening time of the adhesive is much shorter, but it is enough to correct laying errors.
Modern liquid nails are presented in two main types:
- water-based acrylic;
- neoprene on organic solvents.
In terms of strength of the connection, these varieties are approximately equivalent , although there may be differences in quality and possibility of use. Acrylic-based liquid nails are diluted with water, which reduces the possibility of harmful effects on the body. You can use them in rooms where there is no high humidity, and temperature differences are small. Otherwise, the adhesive base loses its properties.
Under these conditions, when working with porous materials and plastic, the connection is strong and durable.
The adhesive composition of liquid nails on organic solvents is heat-resistant. It is resistant to high humidity, reliably resists the action of the fungus. The setting period is short, there is almost no time left to correct errors, so preparation for installation should be thorough. The strength of the glue is high, but environmentally liquid neoprene-based nails are more dangerous than acrylic analogues. During operation and several days after its completion, it is necessary to avoid being in the room: harmful fumes are not excluded. Both acrylic and neoprene adhesive are superior in strength to PVC adhesive.
How to choose?
The work experience of the craftsmen shows that it is more reliable to use water-soluble compositions Titan WB 50 or “Solvent Free” as a liquid nail for tiling the surface. For the bathroom, it is better to use another glue that is more resistant to such conditions, for example, “Nail Power” or “Te Surround”. If you need to lay massive, dimensional tiles, use Zigger 99, LN 901, Hevy Djuti. Excellent adhesion to brick, drywall, concrete with Titebond Multi Purpos liquid nails.
When working with ceramic tiles and liquid nails, you need to especially carefully carry out preparatory work. The final result depends on it. This glue is quite strong, but a dusty, unprepared surface can cause poor adhesion.
The choice of glue matters: you need to choose it based on the weight of the material, its thickness, type of surface. It is important to consider the type of plane (vertical, horizontal), time for preliminary and final hardening. Before buying the total volume, you need to consult with masters or sellers on the choice of a particular glue, carefully study the instructions for several types of material.
Having decided on the brand of glue, the estimated volume must be increased by 10-15%. This will avoid the lack of liquid nails when working with tiles.
You can buy test samples and check their suitability for the intended work.
It is worth considering the following:
- Check adhesive setting time. The instructions provide recommendations for proper use, including time.
- Chalk and calcium carbonate particles that reduce adhesion should be excluded.
- In the presence of acetone and toluene, the glue is not suitable for work, its smell and harmful effects can last for a long time.
- Some brands of water-soluble liquid nails (“Solvent Free” or “Titanium WB-50”) can be used when gluing ceramic tiles in rooms with high humidity.
- The amalgam of the mirror will not deteriorate if you use liquid nails of the Moment of Mounting, LN-930 or Zigger 93 brands when fixing it.
- When working on the bathroom, you can use liquid nails of the brands “Tub Suround” or “Oil Power”.
It is important to take into account one caveat: the complete polymerization (hardening) of all varieties takes about 12 to 24 hours.
Before coating with glue, the surface of the tile must be cleaned, dried and degreased. Liquid nails are applied over the area with a thin snake, if the tiles are light, dots are sufficient. The tile must be pressed firmly for several seconds to the prepared surface: this will determine the degree of strength. Liquid nails dry on glued tiles for 24 hours, finally dry in a week. Touching and moving tiles during this period is not worth it, so as not to spoil the strength of fixation. After 5-7 days, they begin to grout the seams. It is not recommended to lay the tiles on the floor of the bathtub using liquid nails: for such purposes a special waterproof glue is used.
To minimize the amount of excess glue when gluing ceramic tiles, you need to accurately determine its amount for each tile. Experienced craftsmen can do this, it is better to entrust them with such work in order to be sure of obtaining fast and high-quality results. However, during operation, the advantages of liquid nails may turn into disadvantages. For example, it is not always possible to remove dried glue: it becomes stronger with every hour.
Therefore, it is advised to remove excess glue immediately during operation, using a clean soft cloth.
If a moment is missed, to remove dried glue residue, you will have to use more complex techniques:
- A special cleaner that can be purchased at any building materials store. It is applied to areas with dried glue, kept for 15-20 minutes, then washed off and wiped with a clean soft cloth.
- You can use a scraper or brush attachments on a screwdriver. Some experience is also needed here so as not to damage the surface of the tiles.
- Remove small adhesive residues with a cleaner. However, if the glue is taken firmly, this method is ineffective.
- You can heat the surface of the tile in any safe way to 60 degrees. When this temperature is at the glue, it becomes soft and is removed with a spatula.
Liquid nails have a lot of advantages.
- They are waterproof: polymer compounds are highly water resistant. The ingress of moisture into the seam does not affect the strength properties of the joint.
- Glue is distinguished by high strength: after hardening, the composition becomes stronger than concrete and retains its properties for a long time.
- In terms of voltage, the products of leading brands withstand up to 80 kg / sq. see. Liquid nails can fix ceramic tiles of considerable weight.
- They are characterized by resistance to rust, mold, fungus, rotting in conditions of high humidity.
- They are distinguished by automation: to apply glue, you can use a construction gun, thus increasing the safety and culture of production.
- This material is convenient: the composition is ready for use, there is no need to prepare the mixture.
- To correct errors there is a small time interval.
- The adhesive compositions of liquid nails are universal when gluing many homogeneous and heterogeneous surfaces, which is especially important when gluing tiles under a stone.
- The adhesion of this glue is high enough for most building and finishing materials.
- Not all liquid nails are resistant to moisture. High humidity worsens the main properties of the liquid nails of individual brands.
- Ceramic tiles are not recommended to be laid on the floor using liquid nails; it is better to use special tile glue. So it will be more reliable and cheaper.
- Varieties of glue on a neoprene basis can adversely affect the human body, so a rather long period is needed until the complete disappearance of neoprene fumes.
- To remove excess hardened glue, additional materials and time are required.
- Almost impossible to fix poor-quality styling after the start of the hardening of liquid nails.
- Work with liquid nails and ceramic tiles should be carried out under stable temperature conditions.
- When overheated in a spray glue, it loses its consistency and may become unusable.
The time during which the adjustment is possible is not more than minutes. This is enough for an experienced master, but for a beginner it can become a real problem. All manufacturers produce liquid nails in cans of 300-500 grams, this is disadvantageous with significant amounts of work.
If you lay tiles on a large area, the cost of buying glue may exceed the cost of the lining itself.
The choice of adhesive compositions such as liquid nails is now wide , a careful approach will avoid errors and get a reliable result. Before starting work, you need to try to find out more information about the quality of the glue and the possibilities of its use in specific conditions. A lot of information is contained in the instructions for use indicated on the packaging of the goods. In general, liquid nails are glue with a good functional effect. The composition does not need to be specially prepared, with the help of a construction gun, the composition is easily applied to the surface of the tile, sets in a short time and reliably holds glued parts of light weight.
When buying, pay attention to the expiration date: after it, the adhesive loses its properties, which can affect the quality of adhesion of the tile to the base of the surface.
You can find out more information on this from the video below.