One of the important attributes of this audiophile has always been considered high-quality headphones that provide accurate sound transmission and isolation from extraneous noise. For the right choice of these accessories you need to know well the range of leading manufacturing companies. Among a wide variety of brands, it is worth considering the popular Koss headphone models and familiarizing themselves with their main characteristics.
Koss was established in Milwaukee (USA) in 1953 and until 1958 it was mainly engaged in the production of Hi-Fi audio equipment. In 1958, for the first time in history, the founder of the company, John Koss, came up with the idea of connecting aviation headphones to an audio player. Thus, it is Koss headphones that can be considered the first audio headphones for domestic use (before that they were used mainly among radio amateurs and the military). And after two decades, the company once again went down in history - this time as the creator of one of the first radio headphones (model Koss JCK / 200).
Nowadays, the company maintains a leading position in the market of home audio equipment and accessories . The key to success was the openness to innovation while following the traditions - for example, in the model range of the company there are many models with a classic design that was characteristic of the world-famous headphones of the 1960s. The company maintains the high quality of its products by the mandatory quality control of sound reproduction introduced back in the 1970s, thanks to which all the real acoustic characteristics of Koss equipment correspond to the values indicated in its technical description.
Other important differences between accessories of the American company from most analogues.
- Ergonomic design. Regardless of whether the model is classic or modern, the product will be equally convenient to use.
- Highest sound quality. The sound of this technique for many years has been a guide for other manufacturers.
- Profitability . Compared to other brands that provide similar audio quality, Koss technology is quite affordable.
- Safety All products have been certified for sale in the United States, the EU and the Russian Federation, made of environmentally friendly materials and, when used correctly, are absolutely safe for the health of users.
- A wide network of authorized dealers and certified SOs in all major cities of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
- Dealer network control . The company monitors trade networks selling counterfeit products and blacklist them. Thanks to this, when buying Koss headphones from an authorized dealer, you can be sure that you are getting original equipment, not a cheap fake.
- All Koss earphones come with a stylish and comfortable carrying case.
Review of the best models
Currently, the company produces a huge assortment of headphones of various designs. Consider the most popular models of the American company in more detail.
The most popular wired models of headphones in the Russian market are the following.
- Porta Pro is one of the company's most famous overhead models with a classic design and adjustable headband. Frequency range - from 15 Hz to 25 kHz, sensitivity - 101 dB / mW, impedance - 60 Ohms.
They are characterized by a very low level of distortion (THDRMS is only 0.2%).
- Sporta Pro is a sports modernization of the previous model, featuring a universal two-position mounting system on the head (the bow can be supported by the crown or neck), reduced from 79 to 60 grams in weight, dynamic sports design and increased sensitivity to 103 dB / mW.
- The Plug - classic in-ear headphones with foam ear pads that provide excellent sound insulation. Frequency range - from 10 Hz to 20 kHz, sensitivity - 112 dB / mW, impedance - 16 Ohms. The mass of the product is only 7 g.
In addition to the classic black (The Plug Black), options are also available with white, green, red, blue and orange.
- Spark Plug - modernization of the previous model with an updated design and even softer foam ear pads, which increases comfort without loss of sound insulation. Equipped with a volume control located on the cord. Key features are similar to The Plug.
- KEB32 is a sports version of the vacuum headphones, featuring a passive noise reduction system, an especially strong cord and the use of washable materials in the design. Frequency range - from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, impedance - 16 Ohms, sensitivity - 100 dB / mW. Complete with removable ear pads 3 different sizes.
- KE5 - light and portable inserts (gags) with a frequency range from 60 Hz to 20 kHz, an impedance of 16 ohms and a sensitivity of 98 dB / mW.
- KPH14 - sports inserts with a plastic handle, increased moisture protection and reduced insulation from environmental sounds (to ensure safety during outdoor activities). Frequency range - from 100 Hz to 20 kHz, impedance - 16 Ohms, sensitivity - 104 dB / mW.
- The UR20 is a full-sized indoor budget option with a frequency range from 30 Hz to 20 kHz, an impedance of 32 Ohms and a sensitivity of 97 dB / mW.
- PRO4S - professional studio full-size half-closed headphones with a frequency range from 10 Hz to 25 kHz, an impedance of 32 Ohms and a sensitivity of 99 dB / mW. They are distinguished by a reinforced bow and a unique D-shaped cup shape that enhances comfort.
- GMR-540-ISO - professional gaming headphones of the closed type with full noise isolation and surround sound transmission system for accurate positioning of the sound source in space. Frequency range - from 15 Hz to 22 kHz, impedance - 35 Ohms, sensitivity - 103 dB / mW. Can be equipped with a USB cable instead of a standard audio cord.
- GMR-545-AIR is an open version of the previous model with improved 3D sound quality.
- ESP / 950 - premium full-size open electrostatic headphones, considered the top of the company's lineup. They differ in frequency range from 8 Hz to 35 kHz, sensitivity of 104 dB / mW and impedance of 100 kOhm. They are equipped with a signal amplifier, a set of connecting cables, power supplies (including battery), an extension cord and a leather case.
Of the wireless models, the following options are most in demand among Russian lovers of quality sound.
- Porta Pro Wireless - a wireless modification of the classic hit Koss Porta Pro, connecting to the signal source via Bluetooth 4.1. It is equipped with a microphone and a remote control, which allows you to use it as a Bluetooth headset for a smartphone. All other characteristics are similar to the base model (frequency range - from 15 Hz to 25 kHz, sensitivity - 111 dB / mW, headband position adjustment, folding arm). Battery life in active mode is up to 6 hours.
- BT115i - budget in-ear (vacuum) headphones with a microphone and a Bluetooth-headset function for the phone. The frequency range is from 50 Hz to 18 kHz. Operating time before recharging - 6 hours.
- BT190i is a vacuum version for sports with a convenient and reliable inside ear mount that provides reliable contact between the device and the ear even during intense physical exertion. Thanks to the microphone they can be used as a headset. The frequency range is from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Equipped with moisture protection.
- BT221I - overhead Bluetooth-earphones without a bow, equipped with clips and a microphone. The frequency range is from 18 Hz to 20 kHz. The battery provides 6 hours of drying music without recharging.
- BT232I is a vacuum model with temples for mounting behind the ear and microphone. The frequency range and battery are similar to the previous model.
- BT539I is a full-size invoice version of the closed type on the bow with a battery that allows you to listen to music without recharging for 12 hours. Frequency range - from 10 Hz to 20 kHz, sensitivity - 97 dB / mW. They are equipped with a removable cable, which makes it possible to use them as wired (impedance - 38 Ohms).
- BT540I - premium full-sized on-ear headphones, differ from the previous model with an increased sensitivity of up to 100 dB / mW and an integrated NFC chip, which provides high-speed connection with modern phones and tablets. Soft leather ear pads make this model especially comfortable.
For all these models, the maximum distance to the signal source without loss of communication quality is about 10 m.
When choosing between different options for headphones, you should first of all take into account the main characteristics.
You should immediately decide whether you want to buy miniature liners or if you need full-size studio indoor models with rich sound and full sound insulation. If you use headphones mainly outdoors and in motion, it makes sense to consider earbuds or vacuum models. If the quality of sound is important to you, and the accessory will rarely leave the borders of your apartment or studio, you should purchase a full-sized closed model.
If mobility is important to you, consider purchasing a wireless option. Finally, if you want to combine portability and high sound quality, you can choose a full-size half-closed model.
Just keep in mind that in the case of full-size headphones, the design affects not only the weight and sound insulation, but also the sound transmission features - in closed versions, bass and heavy riffs sound especially juicy due to internal reflection, while open models give a clearer and lighter sound.
This value characterizes the electrical resistance of the device. The higher it is, the greater the power of the sound source required by the headphones. Typically, portable players use impedance techniques in the range of 32 to 55 ohms, while professional audio equipment requires headphones with impedances of 100 to 600 ohms.
This value characterizes the maximum volume level achievable on the device without loss of quality and is expressed in dB / mW.
Determines the bandwidth of the headphones. High-quality models should provide full audibility of all frequencies in the range from 15 Hz to 22 kHz. Exceeding these values does not make much practical sense.
You can evaluate the sound ratio of different frequencies using the frequency response, which can be found in the technical descriptions of different models of technology. The flatter the frequency response, the more evenly the headphones will reproduce sound at different frequencies.
For an overview of Kross wireless headphones, see the next video.