Evergreens are found in many areas, which is not surprising, because it is they that remain beautiful and green for very long months. Due to this, the homeland almost never looks groomed. The only thing that the owners of the territory should do is regularly trim the plants, forming bushes.
The green juniper “Mint julep” is a beautiful evergreen plant. He was taken out in the distant North America. Despite this, the plant is also known as Chinese juniper.
You can recognize the plant, first of all, by its magnificent spreading crown. It can be up to 300 centimeters wide. Attracted by the fact that this plant has a specific smell - unobtrusive, pleasant, a bit like mint. Thanks to this, the plant is also known under the name “mint cocktail”.
This juniper is also attractive because it is able to grow in almost any conditions. Juniper grows very fast even in the north of the country.
Additional shelter and other protective elements are needed by the plant only in the first years of its life. In the future, it acquires immunity.
If we talk about soil, then the ideal version of the land on which an adult plant will normally exist is drained . It is very important to water the bush in time and do not forget that it should receive enough sunlight. In this case, its dimensions and height will be standard. It is worth noting that even the middle bush needs to be trimmed periodically, giving it the desired shape.
How to plant?
Planting juniper bushes is the first and most important stage on which depends how well the plant will develop and how the finished composition will look.
So, for example, you can form an alpine hill with the help of this shrub or make a beautiful composition. If desired, the seedling of this green plant with a blue tint can even be made creeping. It is enough at the beginning of the development of the plant to attach its flexible branches to the ground. Then it will not grow up, but in breadth. This design option is usually used to decorate areas in hilly areas.
Another popular option is to use props . In this case, juniper of this variety can, on the contrary, be made higher and longer, as if stretching it up. The crown of such a bush turns out to be quite plastic.
Due to this, you can use the bush, regardless of in which direction the site is decorated. If you want to stylize your site as a Japanese kindergarten, you can trim the juniper so that it resembles a classic bonsai.
The same can be said about plots stylized as English parks or wild forests. In this case, everything will be even simpler, because juniper almost does not have to be taken care of. The bush itself will grow correctly, delighting the eye with its exquisite branches.
Juniper can be planted even where, it would seem, neither the sun nor the proper care is enough for it - in parks, squares or alleys. The bushes grow very quickly and, if desired, turn both into exquisite figures and into a hedge.
And if the owners of the site have imagination and some experience, shrubs can even be used for landscaping roofs, decorating a stone garden or rosary.
How to care?
Modern gardeners, who are often too busy to take care of the territory, are pleased with the fact that juniper is very easy to care for.
The main activities are as follows.
- The main point is a modern bush cut. This is necessary not only in order to form a crown. The fact is that if rotten and dry branches are not cut in time, the entire bush will suffer. Because of this, the plant will look unattractive. In addition, diseased areas of the bush can infect healthy ones.
- The second important point - the formation of a bush should begin only where the plant receives enough sunlight. Without this, it will not fully develop. The only exception is the corner where the juniper is periodically located either in the sun or in the shade. If the plant lacks the sun, then it will look several times paler.
- Care will be inferior if the bush is not watered on time . Especially if drought occurs periodically in the territory where the plant is planted. In this case, the plant must either be kept in greenhouses or provided with additional care.
- Another useful tip that will be useful to anyone who just plans to plant such a plant in their area is that the Mint Julep variety has a very powerful root system . Therefore, plants must be placed at a certain distance from each other. To form a complete root system (which cannot be trimmed after the plant has already developed), you need to plant bushes at a distance of about two meters from each other.
- It is also worth protecting shrubs from excessive moisture . For this reason, plants are recommended to be planted on hillocks where excessive moisture does not accumulate. It can destroy both young and older plants. Additional watering to any plant of this variety is needed only during the first ten days after its transplantation. After that, you need to forget about watering almost forever. The only exception is when the weather is hot for a long time. But even in this case, watering should ideally be drip so that the plant does not suffer from excess moisture.
- Soil can be almost anything - from neutral to slightly acidic. But in certain cases, it is worth taking care to fertilize the soil. For example, if it is acidic, then before planting a young shrub, it must be fertilized using lime. In the future, this will need to be repeated regularly once a year. The preferred time to fertilize is spring. Do not miss the first months of the season.
- The same can be said about transplants. It is in the spring in the soil, as a rule, a sufficient number of necessary trace elements. But in the winter, it is advisable to make sure that the plant is sheltered from the weather. Experienced gardeners most often use spruce branches or peat for this. These are affordable, reliable and time-tested options. Warm and protect is primarily young plants. Over time, the bushes will grow stronger and themselves will be able to resist the influence of negative temperature and blizzards.
Diseases and Pests
This juniper, despite its resistance to virtually any climatic conditions, can be attacked by a huge number of enemies. These are parasites and diseases. The most important pests are aphids, needle ticks, moths and caterpillars.
In order not to miss the moment when the plant becomes infected, you need to regularly inspect it at least once a month. If you do not do this, you can miss the moment when you need to start the fight against a disease or pest, and the plant may die.
The causes of all diseases are, first of all, the wrong place of landing, then careless care. Lack of sun will make the plant wither very quickly.
Its location in the lowland is fraught with the fact that the juniper will begin to rot.
In addition, it is very important that the bush has the “right neighbors”. All nearby plants should not take its nutrients. In addition, it is important that they all develop equally. After all, if one plant begins to fade or become diseased, then neighboring plants will suffer. All beautiful views will be spoiled. And it may happen that some plants can be completely lost if measures are not taken in time.
If there is any doubt that everything will be in order with the plant this year, it should be processed in advance using special means. For example, in the spring you can use karbofos, decis, arceride. And we must not forget that it is much easier to take care that the plant does not overtake the disease than to fight it later.
Use in landscape design
When you design your site, this plant can be used in a variety of ways. Professionals do not recommend planting it next to three groups of plants:
- fruit trees;
- herbaceous plantings.
If you ignore this simple rule, you can see by your own example how shrubs quickly die next to such neighbors. Therefore, such a neighborhood should be avoided.
The best option is to plant juniper next to evergreen bushes and the same trees.
This plant gets along well with yellow or Japanese rhododendrons, heather, barberry, cotoneaster. They not only feel good in the company of such plants, but also look beautiful against their background.
Another interesting design decision is to combine original green junipers with bright colors. This is a great way to play in contrasts. The bush in this case serves as a wonderful background, and the flowers decorate it.
In general, juniper of this variety is a wonderful plant that can make any site better and greener . Throughout the year, it will be possible to enjoy its beauty.
About varieties and types of juniper, see below.