The view of open fire sets a person in a philosophical fashion, makes you think about eternal values and the passage of time. Fire calms and warms, gives a sense of security and comfort. For these reasons, with a huge variety of all kinds of boilers, batteries and electric heaters, many people continue to choose fireplaces for decorating their houses and apartments.
Fireplaces can both perform an exclusively decorative function, and really heat the room. They can be antique stone or modern electric, with real hot fire or its imitation. There is no doubt only one thing - any fireplace attracts the eyes, gathers guests around it and is one of the most noticeable objects in the room. It is for these reasons that the owners of fireplaces so carefully decorate them for various holidays.
New Year and Christmas
Most often, the fireplace is “decorated” before the onset of the Christmas and New Year holidays. The red-green color scheme is traditionally chosen, fresh spruce branches, cones and candles are used. Knitted socks are hung on a ribbon in which small gifts for children and adults are folded. However, following the traditions, do not forget about the compatibility of decorations with the general interior of the room and the fireplace itself.
For metal fireplaces, furniture and walls in bright colors, decorations in blue and silver are suitable, for brighter rooms - a golden red decor.
Combination of various materials is allowed:
- Garland made with the help of cones, spruce or pine branches and other materials is a classic decoration of the mantelpiece. About the shades and shapes of such a garland can be imagined independently.
- Christmas wreaths, which are traditionally hung on the front door, can also be used to decorate the fireplace. You can hang a wreath in the center of the structure or place it on the wall from above.
- You can use various figures and figurines on New Year's theme, Christmas toys and decorative ribbons. The main condition is that they must be combined with other decorations in the house.
- For overflows of light are used lanterns, LED garlands and, of course, candles.
- An interesting solution is the use of "delicious" decorations (various gingerbread, nuts, sweets in bright wrappers). You can put chopped fruits on top, in the dried form they can be used as an additive to tea. You can add flavor to the room by packing spices into small bags (cinnamon, cloves, vanilla). The smell coming from the fireplace will set the family and guests for long cozy tea parties.
- Also next to the fireplace, even if it is electric, you can stack a small stack of firewood. This will create the effect of isolation from the noisy city, the illusion of solitude in a small house surrounded by nature.
For valentines day
The process of decorating a house does not just lead to the desired result, it is pleasant in itself. To create a romantic mood and celebration for your “second half”, you can decorate the fireplace on February 14. Traditionally, all shades of pink and red are used on this day, which symbolize love, tenderness and passion. You can put various statuettes of angels and cupids, bouquets and sweets on the fireplace.
You can pre-purchase various materials and, combining them with existing houses, do it yourself with your own hands:
- wreaths of flower buds;
- garlands of hearts cut out of cardboard or colored paper;
- Beautiful lettering about love and valentines of various sizes.
For Christians, Easter is the most joyful and bright spring holiday. Unlike the western version of jewelry, in Russia they use a lot of religious symbols reminiscent of the Resurrection of Christ. Baskets with colored eggs, baked Easter cakes and icons are placed on tables and fireplaces. However, it is not necessary to abandon Western jewelry in the form of Easter bunnies, bouquets of the first flowers and various branches, which create a joyful foreboding of the coming spring.
With your own hands you can make beautiful wreaths with greens and white flowers, make decoupage on candles and vases, then placing them on the mantelpiece.
Needleworkers can embroider icons with a cross or using beads, create compositions from figurines, leaves, moss and a willow.
Fireplace involves open fire. If it is not covered by a solid glass wall, then there is always a danger of fire, so it is very important to follow some simple rules when decorating a fireplace and the surrounding area.
- It is best to choose materials that are less prone to fire: metal, glass, rubber. It is better not to hang jewelry on thin synthetic threads that light up from a single spark. With great caution, it is worth using plastic products, dry branches, cones, paper, very thin fabric such as cotton or satin, as well as fabrics such as felt or felt (they can smolder for a long time and then flare up sharply).
- It is unacceptable to use jewelry hanging in a dangerous proximity to the fire, especially in the absence of a protective grille. Decor is best placed above the mantelpiece and on its surface, as well as around the perimeter of the fireplace. It is undesirable to place decorations on the lower tiers or on the floor in front of the fireplace, since sparks can fly through the metal grate and get directly into them (especially if paper decorations or compositions of dry grass and flowers are used as decor).
- It is necessary with great accuracy to use burning candles located on mantelpieces or inside an artificial fireplace made of wood or cardboard. Do not put paper decorations near candles, or lean something directly on the candle itself.
Fireplaces in private homes are usually massive. They are decorated with stucco and forged lattices. A large and wide mantelpiece can fit a large number of frames with photographs, vases with flowers and various decorations. As for the small one-room and two-bedroom apartments, it is simply impossible to accommodate such splendor in them without occupying half the used space.
For owners of a small area, an artificial fireplace will be a great solution.
It can be a screen with a recording of live fire, an electric heater in the form of an old fireplace, located against the wall, or simply a fake fireplace designed to create a certain atmosphere in the room.
You can create a fireplace with your own hands. Do not throw away the old dressing table, large boxes (for example, from under the refrigerator) and even boxes left over from ordered pizza. From all these materials you can make a small artificial fireplace, which will delight you with long winter evenings. Of course, a cardboard fireplace will not be able to heat the room, but it will look almost like a real one and will also bring together the whole family.
- First you need to draw or find a finished drawing of the proposed product on the Internet. Print it and transfer it to the cardboard in accordance with the dimensions that you need to get.
- Make cuts and glue all the necessary details to make a box with a recess for fire in the middle.
- You can make an imitation of borders and stucco with the help of foam tiles and baseboards, bought at a hardware store.
- From a large piece of polystyrene or any other light material, you need to cut and glue the mantelpiece on top.
- Then you can start painting the resulting fireplace. For this, water-based paint is used, which is applied in two layers. If you want to get the effect of aged paint, you must use a white putty for drywall in advance.
- After installing the structure in a chosen place inside, you can put electronic or real candles, lay a garland or install a small lamp.
The fireplace is decorated in the same color scheme as the main New Year attribute - a tree. In the same red-green tones, but with the addition of white, a wreath is also hung hanging in the center above the fireplace. On the mantelpiece itself, besides branches and garlands, there are red candles and white vases that connect all three colors into a single composition.
On the mantelpiece there is a composition of figurines of an Easter bunny, painted eggs and small pots with fresh green grass.
A wreath suspended above the composition dilutes the pastel white and blue tones with a bright green spot.
Laconic fireplace decoration for Valentine's Day. A small garland and an applique of hearts in red and white have been added to the photo frame, standing daily above the fireplace. Bright color accents are made using colorful cards with inscriptions about love.
Decorating a fireplace for Christmas or for the eighth of March is one of the elements of pleasant pre-holiday chores that create a certain solemn mood. However, if you want a holiday, it is not necessary to wait until the right day of the calendar arrives. You can try to arrange bouquets of flowers on the mantelpiece in anticipation of spring, hang garlands in October or not remove the bags of spices from the fireplace throughout the year, if this raises the mood and helps to assemble a warm and cozy campaign that admires the fire.
Tips for decorating the fireplace for the New Year, see the video below.