When facing modern stoves or fireplaces, ceramic tiles are often used. This is justified by its appearance, ease of use, reliability. The tiles are fixed to the surface using a special heat-resistant adhesive.
Exposure to high temperature leads to a change in the structure of materials, causing deformation, expansion. Therefore, when finishing heating structures, materials that are resistant to temperature differences are used. Refractory adhesive mixture used for fixing tiles to heating devices, is easy to use. The special composition not only tightly connects the surfaces, but also provides reliable thermal protection, preventing the destruction of the structure.
The composition in the form of a paste is used in places of high humidity. Withstands up to 1100 degrees above zero and up to 50 degrees below zero.
Heat-resistant adhesive is capable of withstanding the heating of material from 120 degrees above zero or up to 1500 degrees above zero for a short period of time over a long period of time.
The composition of heat-resistant glue may differ in the presence of certain components. It is produced, depending on the purpose and operating conditions. Therefore, before choosing a tool, you must carefully study all the characteristics.
In order to reliably glue the tile to the outer surface, it is necessary to use glue, which will have:
- Heat resistance. The adhesive can withstand temperatures up to 750 degrees above zero for a long time or more than 1000 degrees for a short time.
- Good adhesion. Strong contact of surfaces will reduce the risk of deformation.
- High elasticity. Due to the high-temperature effect on the heat-resistant material, internal changes occur in the structural elements of the contacting surfaces in different directions. In order to smooth out these processes, heat-resistant glue must have sufficient elasticity.
- Resistant to temperature changes. This quality is especially valuable when the heating device is located on the street.
- Moisture resistant. The presence of this quality is relevant in conditions of high humidity, for example, if the heating mechanism is located in a bath or sauna.
- Environmental friendliness. High temperature is detrimental to many components of the refractory material. In this case, toxic, environmentally hazardous substances may be released.
When tiling a stove or fireplace with tiles, all work is carried out in several stages:
- Preparatory. The surface is thoroughly cleaned of dirt, dust, paint, residues of building mixtures. Close up all the holes, bumps. Then moisten with copious amounts of water. The tile is also aligned in size, then wetted with water.
- Fixing tiles. If a dry mixture is used, then it is prepared in advance according to the instructions indicated on the package. However, it should be borne in mind that after about an hour, the solution loses viscosity, becomes unusable.
- Next, the adhesive is applied to the base. The layer thickness can reach up to 10 mm. It all depends on the brand of glue used. Put a small amount so that the substance does not have time to harden. Then proceed to laying the tiles in the direction from bottom to top.
Next, the adhesive is applied to the base. The layer thickness can reach up to 10 mm. It all depends on the brand of glue used. Put a small amount so that the substance does not have time to harden. Then proceed to laying the tiles in the direction from bottom to top.
To maintain the shape of the laid tile, plates are installed in the gaps between the tile cubes.
The tiled surface is immediately leveled and the glue residue is quickly removed.
- The completion of work. About four days after lining, grouting is done. The grout composition should also be heat resistant.
- The composition of heat-resistant glue includes various synthetic chemical elements. So, when diluting a solution containing cement, alkali formation occurs. Contact with skin or mucous membranes can cause serious burn injuries.
- When using a dry mixture in the air, there is an increased content of dust particles, fibers, grains of chemicals. Interacting with such substances, the safety rules must be observed:
- All work must be carried out with special rubber gloves. To protect the mucous membranes of the eyes, as well as the upper respiratory tract, use a respirator, safety glasses.
- If a hazardous substance gets on the surface of the skin or mucous membrane, they should be washed with plenty of water. If there are signs of deep damage, you should immediately seek help from qualified specialists.
Types of compounds
The main components of any refractory adhesive are: sand, cement, fireclay fibers, minerals, additional synthetic components, such as plasticizer.
Heat-resistant adhesive is available in the form of:
- Powder to be diluted with water. It consists of cement, plasticizer, heat-resistant artificial components. When preparing the solution, follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Ready to use emulsion. Solutions incorporate clay, quartz sand, artificial, mineral components. Such glue is used more economically, however, its cost is much higher.
Depending on the predominance of a particular component, the properties of the compositions change. For example, the predominance of fireclay fibers increases the properties of heat resistance. Plasticizers make the solution more plastic.
It should be remembered that the powder composition must be diluted in the right amount immediately before starting work. Ready-made emulsions are more convenient, since they do not require preliminary preparation.
Among the most famous adhesive brands, the most popular are:
- Terracotta. Heat-resistant adhesive is available in the form of a dry powder. It consists of kaolin dust, viscous heat-resistant chemical elements. The substance has high adhesive properties, ductility, resistance to high temperatures. Withstands temperatures up to 400 degrees above zero.
- "Prefix". The glue is available as a dry mixture. The composition contains additives from the polymer. It has high plastic properties. In addition to heat-resistant characteristics, refractory adhesive has the property of quick hardening, which significantly reduces the surface cladding time. Withstands temperatures up to 700 degrees above zero.
- "Hercules". Universal heat-resistant adhesive can be used not only for tiling, but also for laying bricks. For a long time, it can withstand temperatures up to 750 degrees and up to 1200 degrees above zero for a short period of time.
How to cook with your own hands?
Refractory adhesive can be prepared at home. This method is considered the most economical and does not claim to be highly aesthetically pleasing.
This will require dry cement, sand, salt. In a ratio of 1 to 3, cement powder is mixed with sand. Then add a glass of salt.
Clay is diluted with water. Mix, bringing to a homogeneous mass. Next, add it to the dry batch. The adhesive solution is thoroughly mixed until a uniform consistency is obtained.
To do this, you can use any device except the mixer. Since when foaming clay, a foam is formed that degrades the quality of the adhesive mixture.
The advantages of this composition are low cost, the absence of toxic substances. However, when using a home-made solution, all proportions should be clearly observed. Such work requires certain knowledge and skills.
Tips for choosing:
- When choosing a heat-resistant adhesive composition, the location of the heating device, operating conditions, and load should be taken into account. With frequent temperature changes, the load on the tile will be greater than with constant temperature mode.
- You should take into account such features as the type of material from which the stove or fireplace is made, the shape, the presence of bumps. So, for example, the adhesive properties of ordinary brick are higher than that of natural stone.
- Facing ceramics has a different density. When choosing a denser tile material, glue should be selected with the highest adhesive properties.
- It is also important to consider the presence of any additional effects on the heating element, for example, physical, the presence of vibrations, moisture.
- Before purchasing an adhesive, it is recommended that you carefully study the instructions for use, use, composition, date of release. In a sealed package, hot melt adhesive is stored for no more than a year.
Knowledge of the intricacies of the choice of material, first of all, is necessary for a furnace specialist. They will help lay people to navigate the work performed and correctly evaluate the final result.
Overview of glue for facing stoves and fireplaces see the following video.