In order to make a quality repair, it is necessary to responsibly approach the choice of not only finishing materials, but also related products. When tiling a surface with tiles or mosaics, it is extremely important to use a high-quality adhesive. Glue of the Italian brand Litokol is very popular among customers in more than 90 countries, due to its high technical characteristics and extensive scope of use.
The Italian company Litokol specializes in the development and production of adhesive compositions for mosaics, tiles, porcelain tiles, as well as natural stone tiles. In the production, only the highest quality raw materials are used, which makes it possible to obtain glue with excellent technical characteristics. Under the brand Litokol there are several modifications of adhesive mixtures, each of which has its own qualities.
Speaking about the general properties of materials, the following points can be distinguished.
- Safety for health. In the manufacture of Litokol adhesive mixtures no harmful components are used, therefore the finished product is absolutely environmentally friendly.
- High adhesion with almost all types of substrates. The adhesive composition allows even complex bases such as wooden and plastic surfaces to be tiled.
- Excellent moisture and water resistance. The Litokol product line also has a separate mix for tiling pools.
- Resistance to high and low temperature, as well as to its sharp drops.
- The mixture has good elasticity.
Under the brand Litokol, a large number of various adhesive mixtures are produced.
All formulations can be divided into three main groups:
- cement-based mixtures;
- acrylic dispersion mixtures;
- epoxy reactive composition.
Each group of adhesives has its own characteristics. Cement compositions have the widest range. Especially popular are mixtures such as Litokol X11, Hyperflex K100, Hyperflex K100 white and Litoflex K81 due to their versatility in use. Such adhesive mixtures are characterized by quick hardening and lack of shrinkage. Cement-based materials have a low cost compared with other modifications of the Litokol product.
It is worth noting that the low price does not affect the quality of the adhesive in any way: the technical characteristics of cement mixtures are not lower than that of other compounds.
The material can be used both indoors and outdoors, withstands extreme temperature changes and atmospheric factors. Cement mixtures are available in dry form.
Dispersion mixtures are represented by two products: Litoacril Fix and Litoacril Plus. The compositions are available in the form of a pasty mass of white color, ready for application. The material has a fairly wide range of operating temperatures, which ranges from -30 to +90 degrees. The mixture is not afraid of direct contact with water and does not absorb it, which allows the use of this glue in rooms with a high level of humidity.
Epoxy based tile adhesive is mainly used for tiling complex substrates. The composition is characterized by high strength and resistance to mechanical stress, so it is ideal for laying tiles in places with high traffic.
Thanks to the wide range of Litokol adhesive mixtures, you can choose the right composition for any task. When choosing, the following factors should be considered:
- Place of finishing work: inside or outside the premises;
- base type: horizontal or vertical surface;
- materials of which the tile coating and the base are made.
When buying material, it is necessary to carefully study the technical characteristics of the composition indicated on the package, which will determine its purpose and properties. You can also preliminary read reviews on various modifications of Litokol glue.
For indoor use, you can use both universal Litokol adhesive mixtures and special formulations. As a rule, special modifications of glue for internal work are made from the most environmentally friendly raw materials. If cement-based formulations are used, it is desirable that the amount of dust emitted is minimal when preparing the solution. Dust-free materials include mixtures of Litogres K44 ECO and Litoflex K80 eco.
For street work
To finish the facades of buildings, sidewalks and porch, it is necessary to choose compositions that have good resistance to weathering and temperature extremes.
It is also worth paying attention to the mode of operational parameters of the mixture. Compositions for work outdoors must withstand the effects of high temperatures, and also have frost resistance. For example, these are mixtures such as L itokol K17, Litoelastic, Litoplus K55 and Litofloor K66.
Complex bases include surfaces that during operation will be subject to significant mechanical stresses, as well as some materials: wood, iron, plastic, asphalt, old finish, underfloor heating. The two-component composition of Litokol Litoelastic is well suited for this purpose, due to its versatility.
This mixture has high adhesion to any bases, has no shrinkage and is highly resistant to the negative effects of external factors. The glue is not afraid of water, and is also resistant to vibrations, so it can be used in elevators or stairwells. For finishing the underfloor heating system, the adhesive composition Litoflex K81 can be used.
Litoacril Plus dispersion mixture is also well suited to work with certain complex substrates. Using this composition, it is possible to lay tiles on surfaces that are subject to deformation, wood panels, as well as on old finishing material (for example, tiles or paintwork).
In rooms with a high level of humidity, it is necessary to use only those compounds that have water-repellent qualities. Among the various Litokol adhesive mixtures, you can find many suitable options for decorating bathrooms and pools. For example, mixtures of Superflex K77, Litostone K98, Litoflex K81, Litoplus K55 , as well as dispersion compositions.
Litokol adhesive mixtures are widely used for tiling surfaces. However, some modifications of the adhesive allow you to work with other materials. Acrylic based Litokol compounds are widely used for fixing various sound and heat insulating materials.
Betonkol K7 is used to form walls and partitions of bricks, aerated concrete, foam blocks and other materials. Also, this composition can be used to level surfaces. Some Litokol adhesive mixtures can be used for masonry marble and other natural stone, including large format.
Each type of Litokol adhesive mixes can have its own application features. For this reason, it is recommended that you read the instructions on the packaging of the material before starting work.
To work with any composition, it is necessary to prepare the surface. It should be even and clean. If you have to lay the tiles on the floor, you must wait until the cement-sand screed has completely dried (about 28 days from the moment of formation). The presence of small irregularities on the surface is allowed (no more than 0.3 cm).
After cleaning and degreasing the surface, it is recommended to treat the base with a priming water-repellent composition. The primer must dry completely before applying the adhesive mixture.
The adhesive composition is applied not to the entire area of the treated surface at once, but only to a small part of it. The glue layer should be uniform, for this the mixture is distributed using a metal spatula, after which they are applied to it with a toothed iron. Tile material is laid on the treated surface and pressed well.
After laying the tiles for one day, the adhesive should be reliably protected from direct contact with water. In the next week, the surface must be protected from the effects of subzero temperatures and direct sunlight.
Tips & Tricks
When working with some types of substrates and adhesives, certain difficulties may arise. When buying material and its use, it is worth remembering a few points.
- It is not recommended to use cement compositions for gypsum surfaces, since these materials interact poorly with each other. An alternative solution may be to prevent direct contact. To do this, before applying glue, gypsum substrates must be primed.
- Before laying glass mosaics on the surface of the pool or fountains, the base must be treated with a mixture of cement and sand in order to perfectly level it.
- It is always necessary to take into account the curing rate of the used Litokol glue, since after the formation of the film on the applied composition, it will be possible to glue the tile on this area only after applying a new layer. It is worth remembering that the drying time may vary depending on the temperature and humidity conditions. For example, under direct sunlight and under the influence of a dry wind, the glue will freeze faster.
- When working with Litokol adhesive mixtures, tiles do not need to be soaked in water.
- If it is necessary to tile the surfaces that will be subjected to high mechanical stresses, it is recommended that the adhesive mixture be applied both to the base and to the back of the tile.
See how to properly apply glue on the tile in the video below.