On the plot near the gardeners there will always be a bed in need of processing, but not every tool can help out in hard-to-reach places. Where mechanized equipment and even an ultralight cultivator will not pass, a miniature device - an electric chopper - will cope.
Advantages and disadvantages
Many real users recommend using an electric chopper in their reviews. This universal garden device has many advantages:
- easily performs various garden works: harrowing, plowing and loosening the soil; fertilizer application; surface leveling;
- easy to manage;
- lightweight (up to 5 kg) and comfortable to use;
- differs in long duration of work;
- It has a long barbell (on some models it’s telescopic, which adjusts itself to growth) to relieve stress on the back;
- the presence of a D-shaped handle that easily changes position - additional convenience;
- the electric chopper is protected from breakage, the work automatically stops if the cutters fall into dense layers of soil or stumble onto the roots;
- for the manufacture of mills used metals of hard alloys that increase the shelf life;
- the battery device allows you to use an electric chopper to give or cultivate land far from electrification;
- significantly reduces energy costs and saves time when performing standard work on the land;
- automatically shuts off when overheating;
- It has convenient dimensions that allow not to allocate a large area for storage.
There are few drawbacks of this gardening equipment and all of them are not so significant, if we correlate them with the benefits brought.
The following factors can be noted as minor minuses:
- the cost of the appliance is much higher than that of a conventional chopper;
- without a battery in large spaces, work is hampered by a short cord (buying an additional extension cord solves the problem);
- A mains chopper will not work if there is no source of electricity.
Device and principle of operation
By design, the electric chopper is a simple device. It resembles a trimmer - two handles on a long telescopic rod, an engine at the bottom, a cord for connecting to the network and a start button at the top. But from the usual cultivator differs in the principle of work. Using an electric chopper, surface loosening of the soil surface is carried out. Such a cultivator cultivates the soil with smooth pins, periodically rotating half a turn around the vertical axis, then one way or the other. This is a convenient tool with excellent functionality for performing certain monotonous and tedious work in the garden and in the garden plot.
Motor power from 350 to 500 watts. This is enough for the continuous processing of large-scale land plots.
There are two types of electric choppers:
- mains powered electrical appliance;
- device with built-in battery.
It is difficult to judge which is more convenient and effective. After all, the absence of the need to supply current from the network does not exempt from periodic recharging of the battery. In addition, its presence makes the tool more heavy. The choice will depend on the specific conditions of use. Loosening of the earth is directly carried out either by rods or mills.
Rods - “fingers”
For their production, hardened high-carbon steel is used, so the working elements are distinguished by considerable strength. At the end of the electric chopper there is a pair of spinning disks, each of which has three “fingers” of metal. Rods with triangular faces and slightly rounded edges at a ten-centimeter length provide the most complete work.
The triangular cross-section facilitates the thorough grinding of the soil and the roots of weeds.
The presence of a cutter implies loosening of a deeper layer. At the same time, the tool resembles a cultivator with its principle of work - it breaks clods of earth and cuts the roots of weeds with sharpened rotating knives.
From the classic model, an electric chopper with a cutter is distinguished only by a tip.
A triple cutter is used as a functional element. The tool starts working when plugged into the outlet and pressing the “On” start button. The engine pushes the disks with working nozzles. A milling cutter or rods set in motion and, rotating, loosen the soil, crushing large clods and dried soil.
Key Use Cases
An electric chopper is used for several types of work in the garden.
- Loosening the soil is the main purpose of this power tool. Coming into motion, the pins grind and crush the earth clods.
- Harrowing - plowing and leveling the soil after sowing by means of shallow immersion of metal pins.
- Weeding. A moving wheel captures weeds and pulls them to the surface of the soil.
- Trimming the edges of flower beds or lawns. Electric chopping is much faster and more convenient than the same work with scissors for lawn or manually.
Manufacturers of electric choppers today offer a variety of devices that attract customers with powerful batteries, sharp cutters and reliable engines. One of the very first Russians recognized the Gloria (Brill) Gardenboy Plus 400W model . Using this equipment, you can easily process several hundredths of a hundred acres by weeding and loosening the soil to a depth of 8 cm. The weight of the electric chopper is 2.3 kg. It works from the mains.
No less famous among gardeners is the Black & Decker GXC 1000 cordless chopper .
The advantages of this model are the presence of a removable battery and an adjustable handle. There is no need to use an extension cord and tilt while working with the tool.
Careful loosening of the soil at a depth of 10 cm is carried out using knives with the opposite rotation. A device weighing 3.7 kg can process an area of 8x8 m without recharging. It takes 3 hours for a battery to fully charge.
The lightweight and practical SunGarden TF 400 is also in demand. Responses of summer residents indicate the reliability of this garden tool. Thanks to the improved design of the "fingers" the equipment does not jam when stones or solid particles get in. Loosening, harrowing, removing weeds and edging the edges of the lawn is carried out quickly, with little noise and without extra effort. The device is characterized by high performance with low weight - 2.5 kg. In addition to the listed models, one can note the reliability of Bosch garden tools. But in this line, the trimmer is most in demand.
The downside for many summer residents is the high cost of a widely publicized brand with standard indicators demonstrated by similar devices of other more affordable companies.
When thinking about acquiring a garden assistant like an electric chopper, you need to consider several important criteria.
- Tool weight. It is preferable to choose models with a small weight not exceeding 5 kg. With time-consuming work, the severity of the electric chopper will not affect productivity in the best way.
- Noise level. For full-fledged work with an electric chopper, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with this characteristic specified in the instrument data sheet in advance.
- Auto lock. Mandatory function that turns off the engine when it overheats or becomes clogged. It prevents breakage, which means it saves nerves and money.
- Type of food. The advantage of cordless choppers is the freedom of movement with the tool in the area. But the electric chopper, powered by the network, also has its own plus - high performance.
- Work items - “fingers” or cutters. This parameter is selected depending on the planned types of work.
Instructions for use
Observing the basic rules, you can achieve the longest possible operation of the electric chopper. The compacted soil must be prepared for cultivation, having made several pruning with a pitchfork in different places. Next, the electric chopper is immersed in the ground and propelled forward, holding in front of itself. To root out weeds, the tool is slowly pressed into the ground with weeds and with a sharp movement they are removed. In order to introduce manure or other fertilizers into the soil layer with an electric duster, movements are made in a circle.
For good tool performance and long life it is necessary to take care of it regularly. Accurate use and careful storage are also important. An electric chopper is one of the most unpretentious tools in maintenance. It does not need lubrication, since there are no rubbing parts. It does not involve the use of fuel and oil level control in the engine. But a few important points to consider:
- it is permissible to connect the device to the network only after complete assembly and verification of readiness for work;
- be sure to check the attachment of the mechanisms and all details for the degree of wear and possible damage;
- keep the tool disconnected from the power supply;
- during operation, hold the electric chopper with both hands, control the position of the legs to avoid contact with a moving surface;
- Do not break too large clumps of land with the tool without pre-processing them with a fork;
- after processing moist soil, the working pins (cutters) must be cleaned of adhering earth clods and leave the device to air dry;
- you need to store such a chopper in a dry place, because electrical appliances do not tolerate moisture;
- after prolonged storage in a humid unventilated shed, it will take time to dry and ventilate the equipment before starting work;
- optimally operate electric garden tools for 20 minutes in action with the same interval, in hot weather it is better to increase the rest time by another 10 minutes.
With proper care, use and storage, an electric chopper can significantly facilitate agricultural work in vegetable gardens and gardens. The device is especially suitable for the elderly and those who have little energy and time to cultivate the soil on the site.
See the next video for more details.