Modern housing design is represented by various types of decor, but textile decoration of rooms is very popular among them, so in many rooms you can find such an important and multifunctional item as a decorative pillow. To this element of interior originally fit into the overall style and fill the space with comfort, most home owners prefer to make pillowcases for pillows on their own. The decorative decoration of soft products can differ in texture, have both neutral and bright colors, as well as be characterized by an unusual creative approach to execution.
Methods of manufacturing the product
Do-it-yourself decorative pillowcases have a special chic, they blow home comfort and coziness. Today, decorations for sofa cushions can be decorated in various ways, using any material for this. Designers are in great demand with several options for covers.
- Knitted. Such products are characterized by lightness and look perfect in the Scandinavian style. Textured crochet using neutral shades is an interesting addition to the recreation area. Pillowcases in bright colors will help fill the interior with the desired color accent, contrasting pillows are usually placed on the sofa and armchairs. The decorative decoration associated with wool looks especially beautiful. Pillows decorated in the form of sheep are able to cheer up and dilute the gloomy colors of the interior.
- Stitched. Sewing covers in this case is made of cotton and linen fabrics, which are decorated with delicate lace or pompons. Products are easy to sew with your own hands, this type of needlework is suitable for those women who do not have to knit. The technique is simple, so even novice craftswomen can cope with it. The result is an unusual decor for the design of the room.
- Embroidered. They are great for interior rooms with a certain theme. Pillowcases in this case are sewn from any fabric that acts as the basis. Decor is done with embroidery with braid, threads, ribbons, rhinestones and beads. In addition, on the covers you can place applique elements from improvised means. Typically, for decorative pillowcases, a style is chosen with the image of geometric shapes, flowers, plants and abstract patterns.
Button appliqué deserves special attention; it is considered the simplest type of decor that can be done together with children, developing their creativity. Buttons are usually sewn or glued. For pillowcases to acquire a stylish and luxurious look, they are best decorated with colored sequins, beads and rivets. Such pillows are used only as decor items, since it is inconvenient to use them.
- Combined. To give the pillowcases multifunctionality, it is recommended to sew them from various shreds. This method of manufacturing is used to design rooms in the style of patchwork. Rationally used remnants of colored fabrics allow you to create unusual pillowcases that complement the interior with homely warmth. Most often, masters prefer to combine plain fabrics with transparent lace, they look neutral in any design. If you need to emphasize the atmosphere of the room in an original way, then you can choose patchwork sewing with a black and white print.
- Drawn. Such pillowcases are a wonderful decoration for pillows placed on upholstered furniture in children's rooms. Thanks to the special drawing technology you can get exclusive products. Color images are applied to textiles both manually and technically. The screen print is very popular, during which interesting patterns and drawings in the form of words, figures, letters and leaves with flowers are applied to fabric blanks.
- From old things. If you open the closet, then in it you can find a lot of clothes that are out of fashion. Such things need not be rushed to throw away, as they will become a good basis for sewing decorative pillowcases. The main advantage of this type of manufacture is that it is absolutely costless, because you can get a stylish cover from an old sweater, shirt or dress.
Important! To choose the appropriate method for creating beautiful pillowcases, it is necessary to take into account the static features of the room in which you plan to place the decor, as well as correctly calculate your skills.
Decorative pillows can be removed in pillowcases from various materials, but so that they harmoniously complement the interior of the room, it is important to pay special attention to the choice of fabrics from which the products are sewn.
- For the design of bedrooms, it is recommended to make pillowcases from linen . This is a natural fabric characterized by high quality and environmental friendliness. Linen covers also do not cause allergic reactions, wash well and breathe, but sewing them is expensive. Decorative pillowcases made of satin, calico and calico are considered to be a more economical option for bedrooms; they are often decorated with embroidery and applique. Such a fabric is cheap, looks good, but is subject to rapid wear.
- For pillows that will perform a decorative function in living rooms and halls, it is recommended to choose pillowcases from dense furniture fabrics . In the recreation area, products that adorn tapestry covers look great. Depending on the design of the room, they can be supplemented with decorative elements such as ribbons, braid, beads and rhinestones. In addition, decorative pillowcases made of genuine leather and fur look interesting in the interior of the living rooms.
- As for children's rooms, it is customary to decorate them with bright and colored pillows, so cotton, knitwear, wool, brocade and jeans are well suited for stylish and contrasting decoration. Thanks to the original combination of these fabrics, you can make unusual compositions.
Important! When choosing material for a decorative pillowcase, it is also worth considering the features of tailoring and the size of the pillow. It is advisable to select the fabric in width, which will avoid cropping.
Pillows can have different shapes and sizes, so when making decorative covers for them, you need to consider these features. In many houses, you can find huge down pillows 60x60 and 70x70 cm in size. They are inherited from the Soviet era and are part of the classic bedding set. Typically, such dimensional products are used for sleep, but this does not mean that they should have a modest decoration. In this case, it is recommended to decorate pillowcases with openwork inserts or delicate embroidery.
Pillows, which are used as decor and are placed in the recreation area on sofas and armchairs, are usually sewn in small sizes. Such products can be either square or rectangular. Therefore, creating pillowcases for rectangular products, it is worth considering that they will have proportions and have a difference in sides of 20 cm. The most popular sizes of such pillows are 40x60 and 50x70 cm.
As for the square models, they can have sizes 40x40, 45x45 and 50x50 cm. For such pillows, small and stylish pillowcases are required. Covers for soft products are usually made out in various subjects. It can be applications with romantic inscriptions of the names of lovers, delicate inserts of satin and lace, as well as an abstract print.
The manufacture of decorative pillowcases involves the use of various designs. Therefore, before embarking on needlework, it is necessary to determine the style of the composition, be sure to consider the features of the interior of the room, the color palette of decoration, sewing material and the technique of applying decor. Recently, beautiful pillowcases decorated in the style of shabby, retro and provence have been very popular. Oriental-themed covers look equally interesting. The pillowcase base is usually sewn from natural fabrics, then it is given the desired shape and decorated with images of flowers, animals or fairy-tale characters.
Pillowcases for classic sofa cushions are rectangular and square. If the interior provides for the use of geometry, then they can be replaced by triangular, oval or round. Pillows in the form of hearts are also considered an interesting option, they are usually decorated with colored ribbons and bows. For living rooms, you should choose models of covers with embossed decor. Graceful bows, puffs, fringe and frills will help to smooth strict lines in the interior. In addition, pillowcases can be supplemented with elements such as volume applications and weaving. Such pillow decoration has a stunning effect, and any improvised materials are suitable for creating an exclusive masterpiece.
For the owners of the house, who have a romantic nature, the interior of the rooms is suitable, where there will be pillows decorated with pillowcases in the style of shabby chic. Externally, the decor may seem simple, but the fabrics embroidered with patterns make soft pillows cute and delicate. Such pillowcases give the room warmth, lightness and real comfort. Most often, such a design is chosen for the design of children's rooms in which little princesses live. Adult girls also like this decor, since it is easy to create it with your own hands using satin roses, ruffles, lace and pompons. To fill the kid’s room with an atmosphere of care and love, designers recommend sewing pillows in the form of toys, they will be adequately decorated with bright and original pillowcases. For the pattern of matter, you can use both standard schemes and choose ideas, thanks to which a soft product will turn into a cute animal or fairy-tale hero. Decorative pillowcases knitted from yarn in the form of owls, seals and bunnies look beautiful.
How to do it yourself?
Sewing a decorative pillowcase does not require special skill and financial costs. To make a beautiful decoration, it is enough to determine the style and prepare the necessary material. In addition, many psychologists believe that joint needlework allows you to bring together all members of the family. Therefore, sewing is recommended with children. This will help to reveal their creative talent, and the daughter and mother in the process of decorating will be able to closely communicate and share their secrets.
After the pillowcase design is selected, you need to start the pattern. To do this, prepare the fabric and all tailor's accessories. The work is carried out using a sewing machine, a needle with thread and scissors. Marking on the fabric is applied with a special chalk or pencil. Before opening the fabric, measurements are taken of the future pillowcase, its dimensions are transferred to the fabric, leaving a small “margin” at the seams.
Cutting of decorative products is usually carried out along a transverse thread, but sometimes masters also make it along a shared thread. The fabric must be selected correctly so that little scrap remains during sewing. If the pillowcase is made of cotton material, it must be taken into account that it can shrink during washing, therefore, during cutting, the dimensions are slightly increased. All the details of the pattern are neatly cut, spread them upside down. Then the elements along the seam are fixed with pins and the sewing process begins.
Decorative pillowcases are best sewn with a sewing machine, but if it is not in the house, then the details are sewn together with a needle and thread. Further, the clasp is made out, buttons and the “classic zipper” can be suitable for it. If you plan to make a pillowcase with a perfumed smell, then on one of its sides you need to leave a small allowance. After the base is ready, you can safely proceed to the most interesting stage of needlework - decoration. Decorations are applied using various techniques, using bright prints, beads, appliqués, beads or embroidery with ribbons.
Recently, many housewives prefer to create original decor items with their own hands, pillowcases are no exception to this. They can be decorated with various materials, giving the product a style and chic. To make the design process quick and easy, beginners should take into account several recommendations of specialists.
- Knitted pillowcases look spectacular and beautiful, but often because of the wrong yarn chosen turn out to be impractical. Such pillows can stretch over time and lose their original appearance. To avoid this, it is necessary to purchase high-quality yarn resistant to washing and fading. If there are no skills in knitting, then it is best to sew covers from silk fabrics.
- Many apartments have pets such as cats and dogs. In this situation, the pillows need to be decorated with a strong furniture fabric, as puffs from claws can remain on pillowcases from velor, velvet or fleece.
- For the interior of rooms where small children often play and family gatherings take place, it is advisable to sew pillow covers made of linen, batiste or satin. This material is inexpensive, easy to wash and does not cause allergic reactions. In addition, a spoiled pillowcase that cannot be cleaned of stains can be replaced with a new one without regret.
- Young dressmakers who do not have experience in sewing, the first work must begin with fabrics that "do not crumble." Since, due to the lack of a quality overlock, the edges of the product can quickly go apart at the seams.
- If the design of the pillow provides for application to the fabric, then the blanks before decoration need to be washed in a warm soapy solution. If this is not done, then upon completion of work, the applique on the pillowcase can pull off the fabric. This also applies to color compositions, which after the first wash will change colors, as a result of pink flowers may remain a dirty gray image. Therefore, before starting the design, it is necessary to wash the basis of the pillowcase and all the details of the applications.
- Decorative pillowcases sewn from combined fabrics are very popular. But for their creation, it is important to consider the characteristics of each material. For the base, it is best to use knitted fabrics that are capable of stretching, and the auxiliary elements to choose from fringe, velor and openwork ribbons.
See how to make decorative pillowcases with your own hands in the next video.