Rattan is a tropical plant, a palm tree that grows in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and other countries of Southeast Asia. Furniture, including rocking chairs made of such material, is an expensive pleasure. Therefore, over time, manufacturers have found a worthy replacement for natural rattan. What are models made of artificial and natural material, how they differ from each other - the topic of our article.
Advantages and disadvantages
Rattan furniture has long been known in the countries where palm trees grow. But, having got to Europe, it quickly gained popularity, because it has the following advantages:
- the furniture is eco-friendly;
- traditional models of rocking chairs are quite mobile, suspension models take even less space;
- it is easy to care for such products, but they will last a long time;
- they are very beautiful, in such a chair rests not only the body, but also the soul;
- despite the external openwork, the seats are quite durable: models designed for two can withstand up to 300 kg;
- manufacturers offer a wide selection of models;
- hand-made, they are exclusive pieces of furniture.
But any potential buyer will say that the main drawback of rattan furniture is the price . The second drawback is the creaking of new furniture while the stalks are rubbed against each other. The third minus is susceptibility to mechanical damage: the stems are easy to scratch.
The traditional rocking chair is presented to us on runners. Half-arc supports allow you to swing back and forth. On some models, they smoothly go into the armrests. Such a chair can be with or without a footrest. But this is not the only type of such furniture.
- Papasan can be on runners or a round spring strut, which can swing from side to side or be motionless. There are armchairs rotating 360 degrees. In any case, this model resembles a half of an orange, that is, the seat and backrest are one.
Such a wicker chair has a soft pillow that allows you to comfortably hide in the papasana.
- Mamasan is an elongated papasan designed for two. If such a sofa has a stand - base, then the chair ceases to be rocking. But there are hanging models where you can swing the sofa, starting from the ground.
- In general, hanging models can have different shapes: a regular chair (naturally, without runners), a papasan, or a round design resembling an egg. Such a nest is attached to the ceiling by a hook (the most dangerous mount), to the ceiling beam or suspended on a rack that comes with a chair. This is a mobile version of such furniture.
Regular four-legged chairs are also made from rattan. You can’t swing on it, but this makes it no less comfortable.
By the completeness of the rocking chair, they can have a retractable or stationary footrest, armrests, headrest, rack for hanging option, pillow or mattress, removable cover. But all this may not be.
Regardless of the manufacturer, there are several models that are most popular with buyers. The name of the model will help determine the functionality and appearance of the chair.
- "Dynasty" is a traditional rocking chair on runners with a footrest.
- Solar - a hanging chair on a metal stand, very similar to a wicker nest.
- Rocker Papasan is available in two versions: on runners or on a spring strut, which allows the chair to tilt back and forth, left and right.
- The Rocco is a classic-style rocking chair, but the front runners go into the armrests.
But there are a huge number of models.
In Russia, despite the fact that rattan palms do not grow with us, rattan furniture is very popular. The reason is that it is made not only from natural vines, but also from artificial polymer fiber.
The technology for preparing the stem is such that in some cases the bark is removed from it, in others it is not. But in order that the product subsequently does not creak, it is treated with hot steam. Do not use glue or metal parts for fastening.
The cleaned natural rattan looks smoother and more beautiful than the raw rattan. It is this factor that greatly affects the price. Moreover, smooth stems practically do not creak. To improve the appearance, the stem is varnished or waxed, although the natural smell of the tree is lost.
To give a special flavor to the decoration, it is often used furniture made of raw material: with natural indentations, pits, bulges, roughness.
Synthetic cellulose, plastic, rubber, nylon reinforced thread - materials for creating artificial rattan. In many ways, artificial material wins:
- he is malleable to create any form;
- can be any color;
- not afraid of a lot of weight, natural influence;
- will last a long time;
- it is easy to look after him;
- cheaper than natural.
Mass production furniture can often be found in public places: cafes, recreation areas. Design models can be very expensive, but in a single copy or in a very limited batch.
In the manufacture of furniture made of artificial material, marble, stone, glass are often used. But when decorating chairs, you can often find inserts made of leather, hemp, cotton ribbons.
The homeland of rattan furniture is called Indonesia. Therefore, most of the Asian furniture was produced there. Even if you see in the advertisement that this is furniture from Malaysia or the Philippines, read the accompanying documents more closely.
The Indonesians are real craftsmen who make all the furniture by hand, using a minimum of technology. They try not to paint products, leaving them in a natural woody color. Created masterpieces are not so much furniture for a summer residence as for an expensive colorful interior. But Indonesia imports some of its raw materials to other countries, which is why armchairs and other furniture are made in China, Russia, Europe, and other parts of the world.
On the Internet you will not find the name of Indonesian brands, it is possible that they do not exist at all.
In online stores there is only information that the furniture is made in Indonesia or China, for example. Another thing is furniture factories in Russia, Ukraine or other European countries. But here we are talking mainly about artificial material.
For example, the Russian Rammus is ecotang furniture . This innovation is called “RAMMUS fiber”. Products are valued not only in Russia but also in Europe.
Ukrainian Komforta offers furniture from techno-rattan. All of it is made manually by weaving masters. For suspended structures, metal racks are used that are safe even for children's rooms.
But the Spanish Skyline offers luxury furniture made of artificial rattan , which in appearance is difficult to distinguish from natural. In Europe there are a lot of such manufacturers, and furniture is available to Russians, but the price is quite high.
So which furniture is better to choose: artificial or natural? And how to care for her in the future?
In order to like furniture, you need to consider the following aspects:
- the age of the person who is intended for the rocking chair: the older person is more suited to the classic model with a footboard, the child will like the hanging nest;
- the footboard will reduce swelling of the legs;
- the artificial chair will support more weight (up to 150 kg);
- natural products are more suitable for enclosed spaces, artificial ones can be used both at home and as garden furniture;
- at first, the natural chair will creak;
- Before buying, you need to sit in a rocking chair to combine your dimensions with the dimensions of the chair: legs should be comfortable, the seat should not fall under weight, hands should be comfortable on the armrests;
- the fewer joints and gaps in the vines, the better the furniture;
- Papasan with a 360-degree rotation mechanism will allow you to get items without getting up from your chair.
To preserve furniture made of natural rattan longer, do not leave it for a long time in the sun or near radiators. To avoid drying out, the chair can be poured with water and waxed to remove moisture. Use a dry or damp cloth to remove dust. Severe contaminants are washed with soapy water. For natural material other cleaning products do not use. Artificial rattan will carry them.
To maintain strength and flexibility, liane rods are wiped with linseed oil. Removable pillows and mattresses wash or dry clean.
On the Internet you can find a lot of beautiful rattan furniture.
- For example, this design of an artificial rattan chair is perfect for relaxing, helps to relieve stress from the legs and back.
- And such a hammock made of creeper or polymer can be hung in the garden or in front of the fireplace, and relaxation is provided.
- It is very important for each child to have a cozy corner in the house. This papasan is perfect for this purpose.
A rattan rocking chair with a footrest is presented below.