The bed is the most important part of the bedroom. But what if there is too little money left in the repair process and you want to furnish the room in the most harmonious and thoughtful way? This difficult task can be solved using the original bed of pallets.
Advantages and disadvantages
Initially, the idea of creating such furniture was developed after the advent of pallets necessary for the transportation of various building materials. Loads of heavy weight were stacked on two-layer boards shot down from thin boards. It could be bricks, foam blocks or bags of cement. Currently, pallets are often used for packaging and transporting various goods.
Then came the environmentally friendly and durable Euro pallets that inspired home interior designers to create furniture with an unusual style. Similar elements look attractive both in city apartments, and in country houses or in summer cottages. Particularly harmonious furniture from pallets fits into minimalistic environments, not burdened by complex decorative elements.
Unusual and eco-friendly beds from pallets can be assembled independently . To do this, it is not necessary to be a master in such matters. Everyone can cope with work. Such interior items are assembled quite quickly and simply. You can make a whole bedroom set in just a couple of hours!
Another significant advantage of such beds is that their manufacture does not require expensive material that is difficult to find. Pallets are affordable and cheap, despite their growing popularity . Do not think that furniture from pallets is fragile and unreliable. Interior items, consisting of high-quality Euro pallets, are characterized by wear resistance, stability and durability. Such a bed will rather bother you than break or fail.
Moreover, the indisputable advantages of this furniture include the following:
- Properly made furniture from pallets can be easily changed and transformed . Also, such a bed can be repainted at any time in your favorite color. It is worth noting that such things are mobile and easy to dismantle. A bed of pallets can easily be moved to a new place, if necessary;
- Using original furniture from pallets you can refresh and transform the interior of the bedroom . Such non-trivial interior items are distinguished by an interesting and attractive appearance. They can also be complemented by headboards, foots and various decorative elements. Particularly spectacular look models decorated with lights at the bottom;
- Many owners choose this original furniture, inspired by the popular eco-style . This direction is ideal for decorating bedrooms. This is due to the fact that the interior in a natural way has a beneficial effect on the mental and emotional state of a person and contributes to a good quality rest.
But such furniture also has its drawbacks, which you should know about if you decide to put it in your bedroom. Many owners of bed pallets note their soiled. The pallet surface is easily dirty and not always easy to clean. In addition, pallets rarely have perfectly flat surfaces. This can cause some inconvenience during sleep and rest. Experts say that achieving a perfectly smooth pallet surface is very difficult. Because of this, often in furniture made of such materials there are splinters.
Beds from pallets can have different modifications. Let's consider them in more detail.
If you are a lover of creative and fashionable interiors, then you will definitely like stylish beds decorated with lighting. Such pieces of furniture look very interesting and attractive, since there are holes of a geometric shape in their lower part through which lighting will beautifully penetrate. These beds can also be made independently. To do this, additionally stock up with luminous ribbons, extension cords and self-tapping screws.
Beds from pallets can be placed not only near the walls in bedrooms. Neat furniture of small sizes can be supplemented with wheels, which will make it more mobile. Such a model can be moved to another place at any second if you want to. But it is worth taking into account that when a person settles in a berth, the load on pallets will increase. For this reason, it is recommended to choose reliable wheels that will withstand heavy weights.
In many interiors, a bed of pallets on legs will harmoniously look . As a rule, these parts in such furniture have a small height. Legs are made from the remaining boards or wood blocks. They are attached to the bottom of the pallets on both sides.
Traditional pallet bedroom furniture has no legs or wheels. In such cases, there is a solid podium, which is placed directly on the floor in the room.
You can create an original and stylish interior in the bedroom with the help of a hanging bed from pallets . Such specimens are attached to the ceiling using strong ropes or special chains. Such options are most often found in country houses, but such furniture is found in many city apartments.
A comfortable and functional bunk bed can be made for a children's bedroom . The upper floor in this model needs to be slightly advanced forward, placing it at a small distance from the lower tier. From the side, such structures resemble spiral staircases.
A double bed of pallets can be supplemented with storage systems. It can be small boxes or shelves. Such parts are installed in the space between pallets. Most often, the sides are reserved for the storage of books and magazines. If the bed podium is larger than the box, then an open and hard surface will appear next to the berth, on which it will be possible to place various objects (figurines, souvenirs, gadgets).
A bed of pallets can be supplemented with a headboard . Similar parts are also made of pallets, vertical boards or wooden panels attached to the wall behind the berth.
Where to begin?
Before proceeding with the manufacture of the bed, you should decide on some important aspects of the future design:
- It is necessary to decide: will the bed stand on legs / castors or its podium will be located on the floor. In this matter, not only the aesthetic appearance of the furniture, but also its practical characteristics play an important role. So, washing the floors under the bed without legs will be problematic;
- Decide in advance on the dimensions of the mattress with which you are going to equip the finished bed. This will have a direct impact on the future size of the bed. Some people install industrially made bases with durable lamellas in such furniture and lay a mattress on them. However, this does not mean that it cannot simply be laid on pallets. It is not necessary to turn to lamellas;
- Do not forget about the headboard . It can be a continuation of the furniture frame or be a separate part attached to the wall above the berth;
- An important role is played by the selection of quality pallets . Durable wooden Euro pallets are ideal for making furniture. Their surface may have splinters, knots or bulging nails. These defects must be disposed of before proceeding with the creation of the bed.
It is recommended to choose pallets with dry and clean surfaces. If you have selected old materials, then they must be thoroughly cleaned of dirt with simple detergents.
Do not buy pallets that emit an unpleasant chemical smell. Should cause suspicion and heterogeneous color pallets.
To make a simple and fashionable bed from pallets, you need to acquire the following necessary devices:
- high-quality and durable pallets;
- tape measure and pencil;
- hammer, drill or screwdriver;
- hacksaw or jigsaw;
- nails and screws for fasteners;
- paintwork and brushes;
- mattress of suitable dimensions.
How to make pallets yourself: a step-by-step master class
There are no uniform rules for making beds from pallets. Each master adheres to his action plan. A prerequisite is only that the pallets must first be sanded.
To start, the tree is sanded with a grinder and sandpaper. The better you process the material, the more comfortable the bed will be as a result.
If you plan to put the bed on the veranda or in the country house, then it is recommended to treat pallets with special protective impregnations that will protect the frame from the formation of fungus and parasites .
The size of a comfortable double bed can be 240x240 cm. The dimensions of the furniture are primarily determined by the shape of the pallets, which must be arranged in a row of three pieces.
Consider the manufacturing process in stages:
- First you need to prepare 6 or 12 pallets. The amount of material depends on the height of the future bed;
- After this, it is necessary to sand all wooden surfaces and treat them with antiseptic agents;
- If necessary, the pallets must be painted or varnished. After this, it is necessary to wait for their complete drying;
- Now you can proceed to the simple assembly of furniture. Pallets must be laid on the floor and fastened to each other using nails or self-tapping screws. Arrange all parts as evenly as possible;
- If you make a bed with legs, then these details must be attached to the main frame using metal plates or corners;
- Then you can start laying the mattress on pallets;
- If you want to complement the sleeping place with lighting, then to the home-made design you should add an LED strip of your favorite color. A similar illumination is attached to the inside of the furniture frames around the perimeter. Install the switch so that you can easily turn off the light without getting out of bed.
Making the headboard
Homemade beds can be complemented by a beautiful headboard. Such bedroom furniture is made a little more complicated. As a rule, 1-2 pre-prepared and sanded pallets are used to create the back. They need to be installed in an upright position between the bed and the wall on the side of the pillows. To make the design more reliable and durable, pallets must be attached to the wall with screws or nails. The headboard can also be painted in any color and varnished.
You can see the process of making a bed of pallets more clearly in the next video.
Choose a mattress
A mattress for a homemade bed must be chosen in accordance with the features of its design. Its size may be slightly smaller than the main pedestal. The mattress should be selected based on the criteria described below.
Young people under the age of 25 are advised to buy more rigid and springless options, which include high-quality coconut fiber. Such sleeping beds are ideal for children and adolescents whose body and spine are still in a growth stage.
For users whose age exceeds 25 years, it is better to choose a high-quality mattress with an independent spring unit.
When choosing a comfortable mattress, it is necessary to take into account the level of stiffness of the springs available in it. This indicator is indicated by the letter "F". Also, many manufacturers use digital values from 1 to 3.
Many double mattresses have two spring blocks with different degrees of rigidity. These options are ideal for couples with a big difference in weight.
The rigidity of mattresses largely depends on the type of top layer of the filler. It can be coconut coir, latex or polyurethane foam.
So, a mattress with softer springs should be chosen by people whose weight does not exceed 60 kg. Variants of medium hardness are designed for a load of 55-100 kg. Reinforced varieties of mattresses are more durable and dense and are suitable for users with a weight of 110 kg or more.
Homemade beds from pallets look harmonious in many interiors.
- A white model with a headboard can be placed in a room with purple walls and a floor laid out with red parquet. Beat the space with a small delicate purple rug with a high pile, a decorative light step-ladder near the wall with a window and a contrasting white image of birds on wires laid on the wall with a window;
- An unpainted bed of pallets with black and beige pillows , as well as a gray-black plaid, can be placed opposite a black accent wall in a white bedroom with gray flooring. Above the head of the bed you can hang a large map, stylized antique. On the surface of white walls small paintings in dark colors will harmoniously look;
- A beautiful and wide model of pallets , complemented by a narrower and shorter mattress, can be placed in a room with gray-purple walls and a caramel floor trimmed with carpet. Finish the interior with white pillows with blue prints, a blanket with blue stripes, a wooden bedside table with a lamp, paintings on the walls and yellow lighting under the bed;
- A bed of pallets painted black should be placed against a wall with dark blue wallpaper, decorated with contrasting silver or white patterns. The floor in such a room can be finished with a light laminate and complemented by a small fluffy white carpet. Finish the ensemble with red bedding and a large mirror on one of the walls;
- Dark brown bedroom furniture will harmoniously fit into the interior in the loft style. Place a bed of pallets with a wide wooden headboard against the background of a soft-caramel wall and floor trimmed with a dark rough laminate. Decorate the sleeping place with brown linen with contrasting prints, and hang soft pictures with city landscapes over the head of the bed. On the floor you can lay a round fleecy rug of beige color, and the window in the bedroom is supplemented with translucent curtains;
- You can also put a white bed in a room decorated with gray decorative brick / stone. Such a room may seem too gloomy and depressing, so it must be diluted with a bright multi-colored bedside table near the bedroom furniture and contrasting paintings on shelves or walls;
- A tall model of white pallets with a headboard can be put in a black room against the background of an accent wall, pasted over with wallpaper with black, white and purple stripes. The floor in such a room should be trimmed with neutral and calm colors. On the bed, a black mattress cover, a white plaid and pillows in black, purple and pale pink will harmoniously look. Finish the interior with translucent purple curtains on the window and a large hanging chandelier;
- The original model, in which the pallets are painted a dull green color , can be set against the background of the coffee wall in a beige bedroom. The floor should be trimmed with a red shade. Place light wall shelves for letters or photographs in this room, wooden low shelves for various things, and hang a small picture in brown tones above the head of the bed. A berth in this interior should be supplemented with creme brulee linen;
- A bed of unpainted pallets with a high wooden headboard will look harmonious against the black wall in the beige bedroom and the floor, lined with soft brown laminate. On the walls in such a room, pictures of small sizes with images of contrasting colors will effectively look. The window in such a room can be supplemented with black curtains;
- An interesting ensemble in the loft style will turn out if you put a bed of white pallets with black pillows in front of a wall decorated with decorative white brick. The floor in such a bedroom should be decorated with dark materials with a matte or glossy surface. Fresh flowers can be placed near the bed, and contrasting black bulbs and a large picture of black and white colors can be hung over its head;
- The sleeping place with a high headboard and foot can be decorated with white bedding with contrasting color prints and put in a gray room with a light floor. Near such furniture two wooden bedside tables with flower vases and large bright lamps will find their place. On the floor you can lay a large purple carpet, and aside from the berth, place a rude wooden bookcase for books and various trifles;
- A model of well-crafted pale brown pallets will look spectacular in a white bedroom with brown laminate flooring. Make a sleeping place with bedside tables from the frame and rich turquoise bedding. The headboard can be supplemented with yellow backlight and hang a small picture above it. A white floor carpet made of durable fabric will harmoniously look under the bed.