In European countries, the problem associated with the expansion of living space has long been sorted out: Europeans equip attics. Attic rooms become residential: now they have all the necessary communications. Residents of Russia quickly appreciated this useful and interesting novelty. Many today purchase suspended ceilings for attics: the use of such coatings opens up many opportunities for various experiments. It is worthwhile to consider in more detail the features of such materials and interesting examples of design.
It is worth starting with the fact that the attic room, in principle, is very different from ordinary rooms, because its geometry is very non-standard. Features of the attic: non-standard placement of windows, output communications, various swings, transitions, a large number of bends. In such a room, everything is not very familiar.
All this makes it possible to translate into reality a variety of design ideas, but on the other hand, because of every turn and angle, the cost of installation work increases. The ceiling of the attic floor looks like a relief terrain.
A stretch ceiling coating is very suitable for such a room, because it is able to mask all irregularities.
The attic will become original and very beautiful.
Advantages and disadvantages
Stretch ceilings in the attic rooms have many advantages.
The main advantages of such ceilings:
- provide heat and sound insulation (especially in the presence of heat-insulating material between the base and the stretch ceiling);
- open up the possibility of experimenting with light: if the geometry in the room is very complicated, there are even more lighting options;
- provide protection against leaks: if leaks occur, you can simply remove the liquid and install the ceiling coating again;
- can hide the wiring.
But any material has its drawbacks. Stretch ceiling in the attic is no exception.
The disadvantages of such products are as follows:
- High price. Installing a stretch ceiling on the attic floor will be quite expensive. But this option will still be more profitable than, for example, the installation of ceiling coatings made of drywall.
- Instability to mechanical influences. Special care must be taken when cleaning film products. They can be easily damaged with sharp objects. Fabric materials in this regard are more reliable, but they are less resistant to liquid.
- Decrease in height by a few centimeters - depending on what kind of lighting is used indoors.
If you suddenly pierce such a ceiling, you can correct the situation by covering the defect with vinyl applications. So you will not only deal with the problem, but also decorate the room.
Which option is optimal?
For a penthouse, a film product is best suited. Since the attic is located directly under the roof, an ideal coating for it is characterized by increased resistance to liquid. Fabric materials are not very moisture resistant. Such options should be chosen only if you use the house only in the warm season, and in the cold the house is not heated.
Film coatings are best purchased for heated rooms: they crack from the cold.
The attic room is usually low. If you want to fix this, it is best to opt for a glossy ceiling. It will reflect light, make the room more spacious, lit. The shade of the product can be anything: brown, blue, green and so on. Stretch ceiling manufacturers are actively experimenting with color.
If the attic is small enough, but at the same time you want to zonate it and visually increase it, pay attention to the two-level glossy stretch ceilings. Combining drywall and stretch ceiling, you can hide the insulation material and wiring.
Irregular geometric shapes
Ceilings of irregular geometric shapes look very unusual and aesthetically pleasing. They allow you to create a unique atmosphere in the rooms. This option is suitable not only for the living room, but also for the artist’s workshop, study. The ceiling is installed in several levels that look original geometric patterns. With this decoration you can make the room more interesting and choose the best lighting option.
When installing a stretch ceiling coating, you will need to leave free space between it and the base. This way you prevent mold that can appear due to high humidity.
The design options for stretch products in the attic are different. First, you will need to create a structure from a tree (for this, bars are used). Then attach profiles to it. Most often, aluminum products are used - separation baguettes.
The design can also be attached to the supporting roof beams. When using PVC film, which is flexible, you can install even in the most difficult areas.
If you use drywall inserts, the combination will be very original, but keep in mind that such material is not so flexible.
At an angle
On the attic floor, the roof can be located at an angle - for example, in a chopped house. The ceilings are usually quite low. In this case, it is better to make the design angular. So you will not only be able to create a spectacular design in the room, but also will not “pick up” the height. Such ceiling coverings visually raise the room.
The procedure should be as follows:
- install thermal insulation on the ceiling, use vapor barrier material;
- draw a sketch of the ceiling;
- mark the places on the ceiling where profiles will be attached;
- attach the base rails to the rafters;
- mark the places where the lighting devices will be;
- attach baguettes;
- notch or bend the profile in places of curvature.
After that, it will be possible to proceed with the installation work. Everything needs to be done with the utmost accuracy (especially if you are installing a complex structure that has many edges and bends).
Installation is as follows:
- warm up the room;
- fix the base angle of coverage in a baguette;
- fasten the remaining corners of the canvas.
For ceilings in the attic, a variety of lighting devices are used. If you choose a suitable lamp, you can emphasize the advantages and mask the disadvantages of such an unusual room. The main thing is to approach this issue as seriously as possible and take into account all the nuances. Remember that in cold weather the roof also becomes cold, and in the heat it gets very hot. When choosing suitable fixtures and arranging lighting fixtures, heat transfer must be taken into account.
For the attic room, fluorescent or diode lamps, spotlights are best suited.
To visually raise the ceiling, you can fix the LED strip around the perimeter of the room.
Choosing the most suitable lighting devices, you need to focus on the following recommendations:
- for small rooms, small lamps (their circular combinations) are very well suited;
- with the help of small L-shaped lamps you can get the effect of the dome;
- to adjust the base of an irregular shape, you can install small bulbs along the lowest wall (with this approach, the main lighting device can be any);
- in the cold season, it is better to use warm yellow light, in the summer - cold.
The ceiling in the attic does not need to be treated in any special way. Ceilings in such rooms are contaminated quite slowly, since they are separate from other rooms.
PVC film with a glossy surface has antistatic properties, so such surfaces are resistant to various contaminants and dust. Wet cleaning from time to time will be sufficient, without using aggressive chemicals and abrasive detergents (they will have a negative effect on the surface). You can add ammonia to a solution of soap and liquid (a few drops will suffice). So the glossy material will become more brilliant.
Textile products need to be cleaned more thoroughly and often, because dust is clogged in them. Such surfaces should be treated with a vacuum cleaner or brush having a soft pile. If you do this regularly, you won’t have to buy expensive cleaning products in the future.
When choosing a suitable suspended ceiling, you should pay attention to customer reviews.
So you can navigate the assortment and choose a coating that will not disappoint in terms of quality, and will also become a real decoration of the attic.
You will learn about the benefits of suspended ceilings from the video below.