The construction market offers a huge range of products for laying ceramic tiles. Plitonit B glue, which is used not only indoors but also outside, is in great demand among buyers.
Plitonit is a joint Russian-German production of construction chemicals for professional and domestic use. Tile adhesive Plitonit B is one of the names of a huge range of products of this brand. It is designed for laying ceramics and porcelain tiles indoors. The basis for gluing can be made of various building materials: concrete, reinforced concrete, gypsum plaster, brick, tongue-and-groove plates. This type of glue is also used for cladding floors that are equipped with a heating system.
Due to the plasticity of the composition, the facing material does not slide off vertical surfaces.
The composition of the solution includes cement binders and adhesives, as well as fillers with a maximum group of grains up to 0.63 mm and modifying additives that give it enhanced adhesive qualities.
Advantages and disadvantages
The use of Plitonit B glue has its advantages.
- Reasonable price of products.
- High elasticity of the material.
- Preparation of glue for work does not require special skills. It mixes easily with liquid even without a mixer.
- It has excellent grip on a vertical surface.
- Moisture and frost resistance of the product. A possibility of application for external works, and also in rooms with the increased humidity.
- High performance.
- Installation takes a minimum amount of time.
- Wide area of use.
There are basically no drawbacks when using this adhesive solution, but with improper installation work, the facing materials may lag behind the surface. The material is produced in bags of 5 and 25 kg, it is not possible to purchase a mixture in a smaller volume.
- the largest grain volume - 0.63 mm;
- appearance - a gray, loose homogeneous mixture;
- sliding tile material from a vertical surface - 0.5 mm;
- open time - 15 minutes;
- adjustment time of tile material - 15-20 minutes;
- the viability of the finished mixture is not more than 4 hours;
- maximum thickness of the adhesive layer - not more than 10 mm;
- temperature conditions for installation work - from +5 to +30 degrees;
- grouting - after 24 hours;
- temperature of the adhesive joint during operation - up to +60 degrees;
- frost resistance - F35;
- compressive strength - M50;
- adhesion strength of the tile to the concrete surface: ceramic - 0.6 MPa, granite - 0.5 MPa;
- Shelf life is 12 months.
The instruction on the packaging indicates the approximate consumption of tile adhesive on any surface, but the amount of material needed can be calculated independently. Adhesive consumption depends on many factors.
- Tile size: if it is large, then the glue consumption will be large.
- The material of the tile. Regular tiles have a porous structure that better absorbs glue. Porcelain tile, on the contrary, absorbs adhesive solution less.
- Flatness of the surface: on the smooth one, less adhesive is needed than on the corrugated one.
- The quality of the prepared foundation.
- Specialist skills.
For tiles 30x30 cm in size, the average glue consumption will be approximately 5 kg per 1 m2 with a joint thickness of 2-3 mm. Accordingly, for facing 10 square meters. m area will need 50 kg of adhesive. For tiles of a smaller size, for example, 10x10 cm, the average consumption will be equal to 1.7 kg / m2. Tiles with a side of 25 cm will require approximately 3.4 kg / m2.
In order for the repair to be carried out efficiently, it is necessary to perform sequential actions when laying tiles.
Apply Plitonit B glue to a strong, even, strong base that is not subject to deformation. It is recommended that the work surface be thoroughly cleaned of various types of contaminants: debris, dust, dirt, old coatings (glue, paint, wallpaper, etc.), grease. Cracks and cracks are sealed with putty, and after that the working surface is treated with a primer.
Plasterboard materials also need to be primed, it is better to use a mixture of the brand Plitonit. This is necessary to protect the surface from the appearance of fungi and mold.
If the coating has a loose structure, then it is necessary to prime in 2 layers. The floors are also treated with a special composition to prevent mold from appearing under the tiles, especially for bathrooms.
Before proceeding with the preparation of the mixture for the tile, you must consider certain recommendations.
- All components used must be at room temperature.
- For mixing, tools and containers that are completely free from contamination are used. If they were previously used to prepare the mixture, then the remains of the solution must be eliminated. They can affect the properties and qualities of a freshly prepared composition.
- For the convenience of pouring the mixture into the container, you can use a trowel.
- For kneading, exclusively pure water is used, preferably drinking. The process fluid may contain alkalis and acids, which negatively affect the quality of the finished solution.
For 1 kg of dry mix, 0.24 liters of water will be needed, respectively, 6 liters should be used for 25 kg of adhesive. Water is poured into a suitable container and a dry mixture is added. Mixing takes about 3 minutes, you can use a mixer or drill with a special nozzle, the main thing is to get a homogeneous consistency without lumps. The readiness of the mixture is determined in such a way that when applied to a vertical surface, it does not drain.
The finished mixture is set aside for 5 minutes, after which it is mixed again. In some cases, it is possible to add water, but it is not recommended to exceed the indicated indicators in the instructions.
Apply the ready-made solution within 4 hours, but if the room has a high temperature regime, then the time of use is significantly reduced.
- Glue Plitonit B is applied with a smooth spatula in a thin even layer. The adhesive mortar coating must be given a comb structure for better adhesion to the tile.
- If a dried crust has formed on the surface of the applied solution, the layer is removed and replaced with a new one. The tile is placed on the glue and is pressed into the mixture with gentle turning movements. The position of the facing material can be adjusted within 20 minutes. When installing tiles, it is recommended to use a laser level.
- At the end of the work, excess glue solution is removed from the tile joints. Cleaning is carried out with a knife until the mixture has frozen. The front side of the tile is cleaned of dirt with a rag or sponge soaked in water or a special solvent.
- When facing floors with a heating system, as well as laying tile materials of large sizes, in order to avoid voids under the finished coating and to increase adhesion, experts recommend applying glue using the combined method. The composition is applied both to the prepared base, and to the back of the tile. Apply the adhesive to the tile with a notched trowel, and then smooth out the layer using a smooth one.
The combined consumption of Plitonit B glue will increase by approximately 1.3 kg / m2 with a coating thickness of 1 millimeter.
Often you can hear the opinion that on the tile on the floor you can walk without waiting for the final drying of the glue. This is strictly forbidden, because:
- if the adhesive solution had time to dry, but did not gain maximum strength, then the risk of a masonry shift is great;
- damage to the tile material may occur, especially in areas where voids have formed due to insufficient solution.
And a few more tips from experts.
- Walking on the tiled floor and grouting is recommended only after the glue dries (after about 24 hours). Of course, the mortar dries longer and will gain full strength in only a few days, therefore it is not recommended to exert a severe physical effect on the tile just laid (move furniture on it, for example). Otherwise, after 1.5-2 years it will be necessary to carry out repairs again.
- It is not recommended to connect the underfloor heating system earlier than after 7 days.
- Additional room heating will speed up the drying process of the adhesive mixture.
- Before mounting the tile, it does not need to be soaked, it is enough to clean the back side of the material from dust and debris.
- In the process of laying the tiles, the adhesive solution must be mixed periodically so that a film peel does not form.
- When performing work, use protective equipment (gloves, glasses) so that the solution does not get on the skin and in the eyes. The likelihood of splashing the composition and getting into the eyes increases with the use of a mixer to stir the mixture.
- Plitonit B glue must be stored in a closed, dry room so that the environmental conditions ensure the safety of the packaging and protection from moisture.
- Keep out of reach of children!
- Specialists recommend preparing the adhesive solution in small portions in order to have time to apply it within 4 hours. The closer the end of the pot life of the finished mixture, the lower its adhesion to the product.
Clay Plitonit B receives a lot of positive feedback from professional builders and beginners. Buyers note the ease of use, affordable price, impeccable performance. Another advantage of the composition is its excellent compatibility with surfaces made of a wide variety of materials. The glue is universal, which is an important factor when choosing materials for repair.
If you compare it with similar formulations from well-known brands, then Plitonit B not only does not concede to them, but also surpasses it in many respects.
The main thing is to follow the recommendations of specialists when working with this type of adhesive solution, adhere to the instructions, provide optimal temperature and humidity conditions and then the result will not disappoint you.
See below for specifics of using Plitonit B glue.