For adults and children spending a lot of time at a desk or desk, it is very important to remain functional. Comfortable and comfortable position is provided by height-adjustable chairs.
What types exist?
Lift chairs can be used by both children and adults. The seating and back surfaces may be conventional or orthopedic, corresponding to the shape of the body.
Orthopedic models can have the following configurations:
- Rollers for the lower back and hips;
- The armrests;
- Headrests (with a change in the angle of inclination);
- Foot rests (front or circular), which improves the blood circulation of the legs. They can also be folding or stationary);
- With stops for the legs and knees (visually such models do not look very comfortable, but allow you to redistribute the load from the back to the legs);
- Separated vertically back (lightens the load on the spine).
Depending on the mechanism of ascent or descent, the following types are distinguished.
- With manual control mode:
- Screw - the easiest option. You can change the height by just rotating the seat: counterclockwise for lifting and clockwise for lowering. Almost not used, as there are more modern and convenient options.
- Stepped - when the seat and back planes move along the base and are fixed with special clamps. Children's desks are usually equipped with such mechanisms, where adjustment takes place as the child grows.
- Semi-automatic (with gas lift) are systems in which the change in height is controlled by a lever. You must click on it, and the mechanism will work.
- Automatic. In them, the piston exerts pressure on the cylinder with gas built into the support. Gas compresses the springs and allows the seat to move. The smoothness of the movement depends on the shock absorber. It is better if it is metal, not plastic.
- Transformers Such a chair can be swivel, with an adjustable tilt and a change in the distance from the front edge of the seat to the back. They are suitable for all people spending more than three hours a day at a computer.
The most natural, environmentally friendly and therefore suitable even for children's models is wood. Better if harder trees are used, the product will be stronger. In addition, they have a better visible texture. To prevent the tree from drying out and cracking, keep such a product away from heaters and sources of moisture. In addition, the tree requires special care and treatment.
Modern chairs are rarely made of one material completely, since such models will be less durable. In addition, each material has its own processing characteristics. Usually, the frame is made of metal or plastic with a metal profile inside, less often - from plywood. It is better if the supports are also partially or completely metal. Metal and plastic are easy to clean, they are resistant to moisture. The main thing is to pay attention to the thickness of the frame. He should never bend.
The following types of chairs are distinguished depending on the amount of filler:
As a filler, you can use both cheaper foam rubber or felt, as well as more expensive polyurethane foam (it is more elastic, less punctured and deformed).
Different materials are used for upholstery:
- Textiles (microfiber, mesh fabric, acrylic, polyester). The fabrics are wear resistant and breathable. They are most often used for children's models.
- Leather. It is characterized by high cost, resistant to deformation, wear and pollution.
- Imitation leather (vinyl). Yields to its natural counterpart, less durable, does not let air through.
The average seat height for an adult is from 45 to 50 cm, the back surface of the back is at least 32 cm, the width is at least 38 cm.
The transverse parameters of the seating plane may be as follows:
- Narrow - up to 50 cm;
- Medium - from 50 to 60 cm;
- Wide - from 60 cm.
The longitudinal parameters are as follows:
- Small - from 50 to 60 cm;
- Medium - from 60 to 70 cm;
- Deep - from 70 cm.
When setting the seat height for children, you can follow the following table:
The height of the back of the child should be up to the middle of the shoulder blades. For teens, adult options can be used. Naturally, one must take into account that all people are individual, and the proportions of the body are different for everyone: someone has a longer body, someone has legs. Therefore, you need to select furniture for long-term and permanent use in accordance with your physique. It will be better to measure all the parameters of a person in a sitting position before buying.
First of all, any furniture should fit the interior of a room, office, office, institution. If the chair has already been purchased as a gift or provided by the employer, its color can only be changed by wearing a cover, changing the upholstery or painting with paints suitable for the material. If the selection process is not yet complete, then you should think about how it will look.
The model and color range is truly huge. It can be both monophonic and color options. But not all ideas can be realized in life, since much depends on the materials. Wooden surfaces can be in natural shades, painted or patinated. Their palette is somewhat limited. The metal can be painted or chrome, with a shiny or matte surface, the color scheme in this case is limited by the choice of paint.
Plastic is a more convenient material for processing and painting. Products from it can be of various shapes, colors and textures. Most in demand are models in which two or three colors are combined.
Ornaments can serve as the main components of the chair, as well as its additional ones, for example, a rug, if the model is on casters, or a cover. The back can be of various shapes - oval, trapezoidal, rectangular or other arbitrary. The original form, and even a contrasting color, is not suitable for ergonomic models, but will become a bright element of the interior. For a student, armrests are not needed, but if you are working on a computer, they are simply necessary. The armrests can be of various shapes and can be attached both to the back and to the seat.
A chair can have one support or two (depending on the method of adjusting the height). They can be contrasting with the rest of the parts or match in color. If the decor of the room has a lot of shiny surfaces, then the support can be shiny. Cross (as a rule, with five rays) can also be a contrasting color. Wooden models can be decorated with carved details, decorative overlays with fancifully curved supports.
Another decoration can be upholstery. It can be monophonic, with a picture (for example, depicting a favorite hero from a cartoon or a movie). The back can be completely covered with textiles with voluminous details in the form of an animal.
Regarding the height-adjustable chairs, due to their design features it is difficult to come up with any original solutions. However, the news does not cease to amaze. If the model looks unusual, this does not mean that it is inconvenient to sit on it. On the contrary, chairs with support for knees effectively relieve stress from the spine, and some original models can be used from birth to adolescence. A chair with an impressive complex mechanism will look great in the interior, where the latest technical innovations are used. A bright, elegant, compact chair will occupy a central place in a modern interior. Bold options are suitable not only for the home, but also to discharge the atmosphere in the office.
The abundance of decorative elements, natural materials and restrained colors in combination with modern lowering systems are suitable for rooms made in the classical style.
How to choose for children
Children's models are significantly different from adults.
When choosing them, you need to take into account several nuances:
- The first requirement for all children's furniture is the strength, reliability of fixtures and the safety of materials.
- A desk with a simple high chair is suitable for kids, while a school student needs the most convenient and multi-functional chair and table.
- The fit should be correct: between the hips and lower leg is a right angle, the feet are pressed to the floor, and the back is to the back. The younger student should not have armrests (elbows should lie on the table) and headrest (so that the child does not sit, lounging).
- No need to equip the first-grader's chair with complex mechanisms and rollers (swaying or spinning, the child will be distracted), this is an option for the older age.
- Upholstery must be breathable. To facilitate cleaning, you can sew or order removable covers.
- Of course, practicality is important in this matter, but seeing a pleasant color or pattern, the child will begin to complete the lessons with great pleasure.
- Despite his age, the child must also participate in the selection process. So the child will not only appreciate and protect furniture more, but also feel his importance.
Advantages and disadvantages
Such chairs have become popular due to their advantages:
- The main advantage over ordinary chairs is that they can change their parameters and, due to this, are more comfortable;
- Growing models save time and money for choosing other models if the child is older;
- Due to the changing height, in such a chair you can place a person of any height;
- A chair, fixed in different positions, will allow you to sit at a table of different heights;
- Allow to maintain and maintain health.
They are not without drawbacks:
- If the chair is designed for a certain load, people with a weight exceeding the maximum permissible one cannot sit on it;
- Do not use gas lift models at low temperatures. You need to determine the parameters while standing, and only then sit down and make sure that they are convenient;
- Models with a stepped system allow you to increase the height by a certain step, this is less convenient than continuous increase.
Famous manufacturers and reviews
When choosing a stool or just a comfortable office chair, you can refer to reviews of friends or read them on special sites. Some of the most popular manufacturers should be considered. In general, the “Bureaucrat” trademark received good reviews. Buyers are satisfied with the price-quality ratio, a wide assortment of both children and adult chairs and sets, good work of mechanisms, bright colors. The upholstery caused minor complaints. Somewhere after one and a half to two years of use, the leather substitute lost its appearance.
The manufacturer "Demi" also has many positive reviews. Users note the convenience and ergonomics of growing models, high quality, large assortment, ease of assembly of all products as a whole. Among the wishes of the manufacturer, the need to include covers in the package is noted.
No worse than the above, opinions on the Ikea brand. Of the minuses, a hard back and the presence of a special brake on wheels are noted. However, for someone it will be a plus.
TCT Nanotec does not cause any complaints from users, on the contrary, additional details are noted, such as a special handle on the back for easy movement and the presence of locks. However, like Kettler chairs, the only drawback of which is the high weight.
The Shkolyarik series from the Absolute furniture factory has fallen in love with its naturalness (mostly all natural wood products). However, the cost of such furniture is above average.
Smartstool only elicits a positive response, especially a model with redistribution of load on the legs and knees.
Good examples and options
- In the economy class series, there are also models with the possibility of changing the height. They can be used as school furniture or in other children's institutions.
- Models with a brighter design will cost a little more, but they will also look appropriate.
- The chair - "littlestand" for preschoolers will fit any ordinary table or easel table.
- The most familiar height-adjustable models are still seats with a gas lift.
- Options with a back in the form of an animal will not leave children and adults indifferent.
- In addition, you can choose an upholstery with images of your favorite heroes or just a suitable abstract pattern.
- All kinds of orthopedic models will help maintain and improve health at any age.
How to choose the right chair, you will learn from the video below.