The requirements for garage doors today are no less serious than for the front door of a house. The garage is often used not only to store the car, but also as a workshop in which it is important to maintain comfortable conditions at any time of the year. Many garages are part of the house. Therefore, among the buyers such qualities of the gate are appreciated as reliability, noise, hydro and thermal insulation, as well as a stylish appearance. The number of offers from different manufacturers sometimes makes it difficult to choose. In the article, we will consider the products of the company Hormann, which positions its gates as the best in the world.
The German concern Hormann began its journey in the 50s of the last century with the production of overhead gates. Over the years, their range has expanded significantly for both the private and industrial sectors. In the catalog you can find not only various types of gates for the garage, but also entrance and interior doors for the house and drives for them.
As for the garage door, the company offers the following types:
- sectional doors;
- lifting and swiveling;
- retractable sectional.
So, what does Hormann say stand out among others:
- All functional parts and fittings are developed and manufactured in our own factories, so they fit perfectly together. This simplifies installation, configuration and further maintenance.
- Environmental friendliness of all stages of production, as well as finished products, which is confirmed by the relevant quality certificates.
- Uniform distribution of corrugations and cartridges at section gate for a harmonious look.
The sizes of the elements are standard, departing from which the company policy does not allow even to order. Trim panels are provided for fitting, which allow you to hide the gaps to the ceiling and sides.
- Thermal insulation with the patented ThermoFrame gasket. It is specifically designed for LPU doors, but can be ordered as an option for other models.
- Warranty up to 10 years for gates and up to 5 for drives.
- Security. When closing, the web securely fits into the guide rail stop. This works even with mechanical closure.
- BiSecur patented remote control system with robust encoding. The company also developed an application for Android and IOS, thanks to which it is possible to control gates and other devices with receivers from a smartphone.
- All types of garage doors can be equipped with electric drives for automatic control: Promatic, ProMatic Akku (with solar panel, for non-electrified garages), SupraMatic.
Types and specifications
Hormann gates are divided into different types, which differ in technical characteristics.
This view has a flexible canvas, consisting of separate sections connected by loops. This variety quickly gained recognition among consumers due to the saving of space. The gates open vertically and are open located under the ceiling. (Fig. 1) The sections are interconnected into a castle. The joints are sealed with a special rubber band, which ensures tightness when closed and while driving. (Fig. 2) Seals are also located around the entire perimeter of the canvas, and in the place of contact with the floor they are double.
Hormann offers 4 options for sectional doors:
- Single-wall models LTE 40 more budget option. Their thermal conductivity coefficient is quite high (6.5 W / m2K), so they are chosen when the issue of thermal insulation is not too acute (for example, for individual buildings). Available in white only.
- For EPU 40 models, sections consist of two sheets of steel. The cavity between them is filled with polyurethane foam for insulation. The thickness of the sections is variable, at the joints 42 mm, and the main part has 20 mm. Thermal conductivity is much lower than that of LTE - 1.8 W / m2K, but this is not enough for harsh regions.
- Closest to the climatic conditions of central Russia are the double-walled LPU 40 models . They have a constant thickness of 42 mm and a thermal conductivity of 1.4 W / m2K. (Fig. 3)
- LTH gates are made of solid northern spruce or fir. (Fig. 4) The peculiarity of this sample is that, in addition to standard motifs (corrugations and cassettes), you can purchase canvases with an unusual pattern and even make an order according to your own sketches. (Fig. 5) As for thermal conductivity, for LTH this coefficient is 3 W / m2K.
The appearance of the panels has several variations (Fig. 6):
Berry overhead swing gate
This modification of the gate has a one-piece door leaf that, when opened, rotates in a horizontal position and at the same time rises to the ceiling. (Fig. 7) In terms of thermal insulation characteristics, they are more suitable for regions with a mild climate. In the assortment of the company there are steel models, as well as made of wood. Berry gates are known for their design in the form of vertical and horizontal corrugations of various widths and cassettes. However, these are not the only motives. For example, a canvas with ventilation holes (30% of the area) can be used for collective garages. (Fig. 8) The base color of steel models is white, but can be ordered in an additional color if desired.
Rolling gates are even more flexible and compact than sectional doors. They open vertically, winding on the shaft, and thus freeing up space in front of the garage and inside. (Fig. 9) The canvas has a corrugated structure. The panels are made of an aluminum profile filled with polyurethane foam for a softer ride. (Fig. 10) Suitable for any opening, even a non-standard shape, and for low garages, installation in front of the opening is possible. For installation, this is perhaps the simplest type of garage door. RollMatic are equipped with automatic control, but in emergency situations manual resetting is also possible. The drive is mounted outside the shaft housing, which facilitates its maintenance.
Sliding sectional door
Sliding gates - a variation of the previously considered sectional. The principle of operation is the same, only the opening does not occur vertically, but horizontally, placing the canvas along the inner side wall. (Fig. 11) For the production of this type, only LPU 40 sections are used. Motif options: corrugations - M and L and cassettes.
Hormann has developed several types of surfaces:
- Woograin - imitates the pattern and texture of a wood cut, so that minor scratches are not visible on the canvas. The choice of colors is almost unlimited.
- Silkgrain - a smooth silky surface suitable for laconic modern architecture. The cladding thickness is increased by 50%, which adds strength and stability.
- Sandgrain - the canvas has a rough texture. There are few color schemes, standard white and 3 more additional colors.
- Micrograin is an embossed wave-like steel profile. Such a relief creates the effect of a play of light and shadow.
- Decorgain - has 5 wood imitations and anthracite-colored coatings. It is distinguished from other types of surfaces by an embossed synthetic film finish.
- Decopaint - also imitates a woody pattern, but the coating is cheaper, made with powder paint.
In addition to color variations and various textures, you can choose to decorate with glazing elements (Design series) (Fig. 12) and even inserts made of natural stone (Fig. 13).
Hormann product reviews are generally positive. Most commentators agree that installing a garage door resembles a Lego. Detailed instructions in the pictures and the correspondence of the details to each other make installation even for a beginner accessible. For example, as one forum member shared, the same Doorhan cost him a lot of time and nerves. As for the technical characteristics, the gates of this brand can not stand the test of the harsh northern regions. Buyers called into question the “even distribution of panels and corrugations”. A harmonious appearance is certainly not bad, but the choice of sizes in this case is limited only by those presented in the price list. Of course, you can use false panels, but in this case the thermal insulation suffers. Another minus - most of the complementary colors are provided only for an extra charge.
You will learn more about the Hormann garage door from the following video.