Epoxy primer - a material with which you can create a coating that provides effective protection of the surface from corrosion. That is why it has gained great popularity among consumers. This coating is the "foundation", the remaining paintwork materials are applied to it.
After reading this article, you will learn about the technical characteristics, features of the choice of such primers, get an idea of their pros and cons.
What it is?
Many people purchase an epoxy primer to avoid rust on metal surfaces. Such materials are often used for application to vehicles. They are well suited for light alloys, galvanized surfaces, ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
Epoxy primers are based on a special high-quality resin. They also include polyamines (active additives), which are distinguished by unique chemical properties.
Such compounds are versatile. They can be used as thermoplastic insulators, fillers.
All epoxy based primers can be divided into two groups:
- compositions for metal surfaces;
- compositions for concrete substrates.
It is worthwhile to understand in detail the features of each type.
For metal surfaces
Such primers are very reliable, they are even used for surface treatment at industrial facilities. If you want to choose a composition that is of good quality, you need to know what it should be.
The advantages of compositions for metal
High-quality materials for metal surfaces have the following advantages:
- Coatings should reliably protect surfaces from mechanical influences, provide abrasion resistance. A sign of unreliability and poor quality primer - low coating strength.
- If you focus on standards, it can be noted that the primer must protect the surface from corrosion for five years (no less). Of course, this can only be achieved if you carefully prepare the base before applying the material.
- High-quality epoxy primers for metal surfaces are resistant to petroleum products.
Due to this, they can be used at gas stations, in workshops and in other similar places.
- Good epoxy primers are resistant to alkalis and acids. This is a very important advantage: it is a guarantee that the base will be reliably protected even if unforeseen circumstances arise.
- A dried coating must be absolutely safe for human health. Such materials are always certified, they have very strict requirements. If there are no documents confirming the quality of the material, it is better not to purchase it. Otherwise, you may receive a low-quality primer that will not provide reliable surface protection.
- If you are not sure that you can navigate the variety of materials on the modern market, it is better to get the advice of an experienced specialist. You should also try to get as much information as possible about the manufacturer of the primer that you are interested in.
- In those cases when you need to use an epoxy primer indoors, it is better to opt for the solvent-free option. This will allow the primer to be applied without concern about poisoning. In other cases, compositions with solvents are quite suitable: usually they are of high quality and more affordable cost.
- Epoxy primer is combined with many coloring compounds. Due to the versatility of such materials, you can rest assured that the result will not disappoint in the end.
Other distinctive features
The epoxy primer for metal is most often applied in 3 layers. Such a quantity of primer material is enough to ensure reliable surface protection for several years.
Primers for metal surfaces are two-component. They consist of components that improve the protective properties of the coating and increase its strength, as well as an epoxy base. Hardener must be added to the solution.
For plaster and concrete
Such primers are divided into two-component and one-component. It is worthwhile to understand in more detail the features of each type.
These primers have the following features:
- Ease of use. You will not need to worry about how to properly prepare the solution. You won’t have to think about the accuracy of the proportions: such materials can be used immediately.
- One-component primers are fire resistant. You do not have to fear that the coating will catch fire.
- Such coatings protect wood surfaces from exposure to liquids. You can not buy impregnation - and thereby save money.
- These primers provide good adhesion. Using a one-component primer, it will be possible to prepare even those surfaces that are poorly absorbed: painted structures, ceramic substrates, and so on. Such compounds are suitable for PVC, linoleum.
Consider the distinguishing features of two-component primer materials.
- They can not be applied to wet substrates. Otherwise, the reliability of the material will decrease significantly, since adhesion will deteriorate.
- The surface usually dries in twenty-four hours. For loads, the coating is fully prepared in a week. Do not expose the surface to loads too early, the coating will not be able to withstand them.
- Very high strength provides excellent penetration. Such coatings almost never crack or peel.
- Two-component primers are characterized by increased wear resistance. Due to this, their operational properties are maintained for the longest possible time.
The standard two-component primer for concrete surfaces is very suitable for self-leveling floors. There are also “quick” compounds that are used for express processing of concrete.
This primer is suitable for application to steel surfaces. Such primers are resistant to various chemical solutions, oils, liquids. They are characterized by increased resistance to abrasion. The color of these primers is gray. Zinc-filled epoxy primers can be used as separate coatings.
Epoxy primers have certain disadvantages. Such coatings dry for a long time. Even if you take all the recommendations into account when processing the surface, it will take at least twelve hours to completely dry. Often this takes at least a day.
It is not recommended to dry the primed base forcibly - otherwise bubbles may form on the surface. Another drawback of this drying method is the unevenness of the drying of the layers. Such a coating will not be durable.
How to choose?
Choosing the most suitable epoxy primer should be taken as seriously as possible. If you do not know how to determine the manufacturer and type of primer, it is better to seek help from specialists.
In the event that this is not the first time you have done the finishing work with your own hands and already have some experience using epoxy primers, you can focus on your own preferences.
If the work is small, you can opt for aerosol. It is fast acting, easy to use.
Materials in spray cans
The epoxy primer in the spray can has certain advantages.
- The priming material that remains in the spray can after the first use can be applied as many times as you need. However, after finishing work will need to clean the spray from the remaining primer.
- The jet can be very thin (if you have certain skills). Thanks to this, even very difficult surfaces and hard-to-reach spots can be treated with an aerosol primer.
- Such an epoxy primer can be prepared for use in the shortest possible time. Shake the container only a few times (this should be done quite strongly).
The nuances of using aerosol products
Conventional two-component primers are most often prepared with a margin. Then you have to think about where to put the remaining staff. After some time, such material in any case solidifies, so it will no longer be possible to reuse it. With aerosol primers, there are no such problems. Although they can be quite expensive, you can still save by avoiding significant material consumption.
However, it should be borne in mind that aerosol primers can not be stored for a very long time (in contrast to the two-component options). It is not recommended to remove such compounds in the basement or garage and forget about them for several years. The term of their use is limited . We should not forget that they are designed for small areas.
Since the surface must be prepared before using primers, the ease of use of an aerosol primer does not mean at all that, for example, scratches on a machine can be processed directly on the street, immediately after the occurrence of the defect. Usually this leads to the fact that the surface has to be primed again.
However, in the presence of salty liquid and hot weather, it is better to cover the scratches on the machine with an epoxy spray primer from a spray can.
When you contact the workshop, this coating will be removed, but it will protect the surface from hidden salt corrosion.
How to prepare the foundation?
In this regard, epoxy primers are quite unpretentious: you do not have to carry out lengthy and overly thorough surface preparation. However, you still have to prepare the base, otherwise the material may adhere worse to it.
Remove dust from the surface, let it dry before applying the primer.
It is necessary to mix the hardener and epoxy resin, which is the basis. Then you should get a homogeneous consistency (by thoroughly mixing the material).
If there are lumps in the primer, it is quite possible that the coating will then begin to peel off the surface.
It is recommended to start preparing the mixture half an hour before applying it to the substrate.
When preparing the composition, you need to consider what exactly you will apply it to. If a paintbrush or roller is used as a tool, the material can be quite viscous. In the case of using a spray gun, it is worth using a special solvent so that the primer can be easily applied to the surface.
In order not to immediately prepare too much primer material, it is worthwhile to first calculate how much primer is needed for two hours of work. If you do not have time to use the entire composition, the residues may freeze.
For applying a primer, you can use different tools. It is necessary to wait for the absolute drying of the layer before applying the subsequent. The thickness of the layers can be different: it depends on the functions that the primer should perform, as well as on the condition and type of substrate.
Carefully sand the last coat . In that case, if you plan to paint not a primer, but a putty, you can not grind the finish layer.
After applying the primer, you will need to rinse all the tools that you used. This can be done with a solvent. Especially thoroughly you need to wash the spray guns , because due to the hardened primer, it will be impossible to use such a tool.
When applying epoxy primer material, you need to remember certain rules.
- If you use a spray gun to apply a primer to elements that conduct electric current, you should not direct and do not bring the stream closer to them.
- Do not use primer near sources of fire.
- Remember to use personal protective equipment. When working with epoxy primers, it is necessary to protect the airways, eyes, and skin.
Today, manufacturers of primers offer a variety of options. When planning to purchase material, carefully read the information that is indicated on the package, pay attention to the characteristics of the primer. It should be remembered that all manufacturers and the primers themselves have their own characteristics.
If you choose the most suitable epoxy primer as carefully as possible, the results will not disappoint you: the service life of the coating will be very long.
The scope of the epoxy primer is discussed in the next video.