Split systems are characterized by functionality and silence at work, so many consumers give preference to them. These units are convenient and easy to use, but often their owners think about cleaning the device and its maintenance.
Causes of pollution
Air conditioning needs periodic maintenance and cleaning - known information. You can take the help of specialists who, with the help of their professionalism and special tools, will quickly fix the problem. But in order not to spend the family budget, you can do the cleansing of the split system yourself without leaving your home.
The main reasons for the clogging of the climate device are:
- due to work without interruptions, the unit is clogged with dirt and dust particles that settle in the blocks of the external and internal type;
- when moisture enters the device, fungus, microorganisms spread, and mold develops;
- dust and exhaust gases enter the split system due to its proximity to the earth's surface;
- in the summer, the clogging of the climate unit occurs due to the ingress of poplar fluff inside it - this situation often causes a breakdown of the system;
- Due to the accumulation of dust, dirt and moisture in the air conditioner, insects spread inside the unit.
Why and how often do you need cleaning?
Any technique needs care, the same rule applies to split systems. In case of untimely cleaning of the device from dirt that has accumulated in it, one can count on the fact that the device will not only cool the air, but also pollute it. The signs to start cleaning the climate appliance are as follows:
- the spread of unpleasant odors;
- poor performance;
- lack of maintaining a given temperature regime;
- the allocation of fluid from the block inside the device;
- the appearance of noise and uncharacteristic sounds for the air conditioner.
If a user of this type of technology noticed at least one of the above manifestations of pollution, it is worth immediately cleaning. According to professionals, you should not bring the split system to a critical state, as this will only exacerbate the problem. It is recommended to clean the indoor and outdoor units once every 6 months. To increase the effectiveness of the procedure, you can do this in the fall and spring. Hygienic cleaning should be carried out every 7 days using special means.
The reason to start cleaning the indoor and outdoor units of the air conditioner can be called their increase in energy consumption, as well as condensate leakage.
Necessary facilities and tools
In the split system there is a cooler on which dust, bacteria that can actively multiply in conditions of high humidity are deposited. So that those living in the apartment do not breathe mold and an unpleasant odor, it is recommended to carry out regular antibacterial cleaning. For this procedure, you can choose one of the means:
- alkaline base liquid reagent;
- foam cleaner in an aerosol can;
- a medical antiseptic, for example, chlorhexidine.
Units that have not been serviced for a long time should be cleaned with an alkaline spray, which will help to thoroughly flush the device. To clean the split system, you will need devices such as:
- vacuum cleaner;
- soft cloth;
- a small brush with a medium pile;
- detergent type;
- container with warm water.
How to disassemble the air conditioner?
Before proceeding to the analysis of HVAC equipment, you need to conduct a detailed inspection of the equipment. In this case, it is worth focusing on several points:
- the absence of defects on the wires that conduct electricity, damage to their insulation and grounding;
- whether the fastening of each screw in the thread connection is reliable;
- structural integrity of the freon circuit;
- the presence or presence of damage.
Inspection of equipment is not a lengthy process, but necessary. The regularity of this process is considered the key to the long functioning of the air conditioner.
Before cleaning the split system, the equipment must be properly disassembled. We list the steps of the procedure.
- Switching off the unit from the mains.
- According to the information in the instruction manual, it is worth removing the protective filter that is located in the indoor unit.
- Removing the external panel from the indoor unit. To do this, bolts on both sides are unscrewed under the plugs. The block body stretches to the bottom side.
- Blades are drawn from the grooves, guiding and distributing the air.
- Removing the bottom element of the block, which is latched.
- Disconnecting the power cord.
- Removing the drain pipe.
- Disconnect electrical type wires from the appliance.
- Removing the body of the internal electrical unit. For this purpose, it is necessary to eliminate the grounding wiring, after which the fixing brackets are shifted. The next step will be the immediate removal of the block.
- Removing the drain and outlet hose.
How to clean?
Independently cleaning dust and other debris in a split system at home does not imply any difficulties. You can do it yourself not only quickly, but also cheaply.
After the unit is disassembled at home with your own hands, and there is access to its components, you can proceed with cleaning. For this purpose, do not use brushes from a hard fraction or objects made of metal, as they can harm the heat exchanger and freon lines.
Cleaning the system filter is quite simple and it is advisable to clean it regularly. To remove accumulated dirt, soak the filter parts of the unit in the foam of the washing substance. After this, the parts must be thoroughly washed with running water, dried before direct installation.
The fan in the indoor unit of the climate system also requires regular cleaning and disinfection. This element has the form of a roller that drives cooled air flows into the apartment. To carry out this procedure, the fan can be dismantled without having to remove it from the unit. In this case, the cleaning is carried out by treating the blades with a soap solution. After the procedure, the equipment will need to be turned on to work at minimum power.
The master should be prepared for the fact that dirt and debris will fly to the floor when cleaning. To avoid discomfort, it is advisable to lay the floors in advance.
The elimination of clogging from the fan holes, which are located on the top panel of the unit, is possible by wiping with a cloth moistened with soapy water.
The air conditioning heat exchanger needs regular maintenance. The removal of accumulated contaminants in this part of the unit is required at least once every 12 months. In order to penetrate the heat exchanger, you will need to remove the grill. Further, to eliminate litter, you can use a vacuum cleaner or a soapy rag. All procedures should be carried out with extreme care to avoid damage to the heat exchanger or personal injury.
If corrosion is detected during cleaning of this part of the indoor unit, it is best to have the air conditioner serviced, as the danger could be leakage of freon. To eliminate the unpleasant odor that exudes air conditioning, you need to do antiseptic cleaning. For this purpose, 500 milliliters of an alcohol-based antiseptic should be poured into a spray tank and sprayed near the radiator when the air conditioner is on. After tightening small drops, after 10 minutes, the smell of bad smell will not leave a trace.
The drainage system of HVAC equipment also needs to be cleaned. The drain pipe may become clogged with dust and mold particles. There are several solutions to this problem.
- Soap solution must be passed through the evaporator. He will wash the dirt and dissolve the accumulated fat.
- The disconnected drain pipe can be purged with a vacuum cleaner. This cleaning option can only be used if it is very dirty.
- The tube that is completely disconnected should be rinsed using a disinfectant.
To disinfect the tube, chlorhexidine can be used. To check the quality of cleaning, 1500 milliliters of water are poured into the drainage system. If the liquid in full and without obstacles spills out, then the work was carried out efficiently.
The assembly of the indoor unit of the split system is carried out in the reverse order. When disassembling the unit for the first time, it is worth fixing information so that assembly is easier. With careful and accurate work, unnecessary details should not remain.
Often, the outside of the air conditioner suffers from poplar fluff and dust outside. Inadequate maintenance of the equipment can cause a reduction in the life of the capacitors and compressors. First of all, the master must make sure that the equipment is de-energized. The first step in cleaning the unit is to eliminate the dirt on the block body. Then you need to dismantle the front panel, and proceed to cleaning inside.
Stages of cleansing the outer part of the split system:
- dismantling of the grill, fan;
- protection of the engine from moisture, that is, its sealed packaging in polyethylene;
- dry method to clean all accessible places of the internal system of the unit, using a paint brush;
- treat each of the internal parts of the equipment with a detergent, including accessible frontal elements, as well as side and rear lobes;
- after 10 minutes, you can begin to wash each of the nodes;
- installation of all elements of the external unit in the reverse order.
The master should remember that it is worthwhile to clean the radiator with special care so as not to destroy and bend its ribs.
The housing, drainage system and filters need regular cleaning. This procedure should be carried out, given the location of the unit and its purpose:
- when the device is below 4 floors - once every 3 months;
- when the unit is at a level from 4 to 8 floors - once every 2 years, since this technique does not come in contact with organic dust and garbage;
- air conditioners installed on the 12th floor require only external cleaning no more than 1 time in 2 years;
- internal filters are cleaned every few months;
- split system should be cleaned before operation;
- do not forget that in winter the units need to be disposed of from icicles, ice to avoid damage to vehicles, which is located below.
The life of HVAC equipment can be extended by following a few rules.
- In the room where the device is installed, drafts should not be present. Doors and windows should be kept closed to maintain the desired temperature, to allow the system to work in enhanced mode.
- Without the need, do not turn on the equipment for maximum and minimum blowing, as this can lead to rapid wear of internal elements.
- Air conditioners should operate only at permitted temperatures, namely: inverter model - from -5 to -10, "with winter kit" - to -20, basic models - from 0 to -5 degrees Celsius.
- Service must be carried out continuously. If the split system is used in intensive mode, then they do it twice a year, and if the work of the equipment is moderate, then once every 12 months. Service - the procedure is inexpensive, but it can increase the life of the air conditioner for many years.
- The indoor system unit must not be exposed to direct sunlight.
- After downtime, the equipment must be driven away, thereby removing all accumulated dirt and debris.
- There should be no obstructions to the air flow from the air conditioner.
- A special protection must be provided for the external unit of the unit, which will protect it from precipitation.
- Once a quarter, it’s worth cleaning equipment filters, drying them and reinstalling them.
To make the equipment less polluted, you can do the following:
- ventilate the room;
- Do not put interior items on the split system;
- Do not touch the climate equipment with wet hands;
- Do not allow animals to sit on the air conditioner.
Owners of air conditioners and split systems should remember that any equipment needs a careful attitude, care and periodic cleaning. At home, you can do it yourself to clean equipment from contamination. However, there are situations in which you should not refuse to turn to professionals. These include cases when the unit stops turning on, some functions do not work in it, the device switches itself off spontaneously or liquid drips from the indoor unit. In order for the split system to function properly, saving people from heat and cold, it is worth taking time to clean it regularly.
About how to clean the split system with your own hands at home, see the next video.