A few decades ago, the most popular model was a simple straight sofa, which had various folding mechanisms or simply served as a seat and did not fold out, but people began to think more and more about how to make it more spacious, saving space at the same time. Then the corner sofas replaced the direct sofas.
Features and Benefits
So, as the name implies, the sofa of angular modification is a design in the shape of the letter "G", which fits perfectly into any right angle of the room. The protruding part can be on either side, and its location depends only on the choice of the consumer.
What are the advantages of such an arrangement?
Firstly, this is a significant saving of space with an increased number of seats. So, in comparison with a standard direct sofa, an average of 2-3 people can sit on a corner sofa. Secondly, almost all modern models are equipped with transformation mechanisms that can quickly turn a roomy seat into a full double bed. Thirdly, today corner sofas are equipped with capacious storage boxes, which can be located in both planes of a piece of furniture.
In addition, a really huge selection of different fabrics and patterns makes it possible to choose furniture for any style decision.
There are many types of corner sofas: soft and orthopedic, with pillows, with and without wooden armrests, with head restraints or with a high back. The mass of various options allows you to highlight several classifications of models of corner sofas.
For example, by design type, you can divide all sofas into:
- Monolithic - such sofas form a static, non-separable structure. Here, the corner and the main straight part are always bonded together and are not mobile.
- Modular - in such models it is usually possible to rearrange the corner part on either side, while there are attached elements. For example, a sofa with a puff or with a recliner can be attributed to this type. A sofa with an ottoman can also be called modular.
- Transforming sofas - this model provides a special built-in mechanism with which the furniture is transformed into a full-fledged berth.
It is also possible to formulate a classification. It may seem that the corner sofa is completely non-invariant in terms of shape, but this is not so, today you can select at least 4 options for a static shape:
- Left corner - as the name implies, this is a sofa, in which the corner is located on the left side.
- The right corner is similar to the previous version, only here the corner will be located on the right.
- U-shaped - the shape of the sofa, in which the corners will be located on both sides.
- Round - this option resembles a p-shape, however, the corners here will be rounded.
Also make a classification according to the type of mechanism installed in furniture items. Despite the fact that there are a lot of mechanisms, the following are the most popular options used in the manufacture of corner modules :
- Eurobook is one of the most reliable and frequently used mechanisms. It has the simplest design, such a mechanism is the most reliable and does not cause difficulties in use. It unfolds like a real book: the main part is pushed forward, and the back is lowered into the resulting niche. This is the most common version of models with pillows, because due to the peculiarities of the mechanism, the backrest is far enough from the edge of the seat, and for convenience, the models are equipped with large soft pillows.
- Roll-out - with this option, the berth is rolled out on special wheels forward, when reassembling, part of the berth turns into the back.
- Dolphin - this transformation mechanism operates according to the following principle: the seat is pushed forward and opens the space in which there is an additional element, from which a sleeping place is formed by “diving”. Orthopedic mattresses are often used in this type, which helps to get a full orthopedic bed.
For the bedroom or living room, where the sofa is planned to be used as the main or additional bed, one of the main criteria will be the availability of a niche for linen, hence another classification:
- Without a box for linen. Models that do not have a specially equipped place to store things. This option will be inappropriate for a small apartment, in which there is no way to install an additional chest of drawers.
- With a box for linen. Most standard models are equipped with special niches that are located either under the main seat or at the base of the corner.
- With two drawers for linen. These are the most functional models, here special boxes are located both under the main straight part and at an angle.
- Also in this classification, you can add models with a pedestal. It is either attached or located in the armrest, this also adds storage space.
Separately, an equilateral corner sofa can be noted. Here, the angle and the main part are equal in length. Due to this feature, such a sofa can be both double and triple.
There are models with a retractable angle. In this case, most often these are quite mobile models, since the side of the corner can be changed if desired, because the sliding parts are on both sides of the sofa and in the extended state form a full berth. With retracted corners, this is the usual standard model of a straight sofa.
To save space in the room, you can pay attention to models without sidewalls or those that have an armrest on one side only, most often on the one where the corner is located. An interesting functional and style solution is a sofa with a shelf in the corner, it takes up a bit more space than usual, but at the same time it provides the opportunity to leave a book on the shelf for evening reading, or breakfast for a loved one.
For sitting in the kitchen, a narrow mini-sofa is suitable, but at the same time with an increased height, in order to make it convenient to reach the table. In the living room or bedroom, you can choose more standard models, they usually have a depth of 90 cm, and reach 220 cm in length, the corner can also have a depth of 70 cm, and up to 200 cm in length. Here you can also choose a lower sofa, which will provide the greatest comfort for relaxation.
The size of the selected furniture directly depends on where it will be located and what functions to perform.
However, standard sizes are not always suitable for installation in a particular interior, sometimes you have to order models of custom sizes. For example, today a rather relevant non-standard size is a corner sofa with a length equal to 360 cm. This model provides the opportunity to place up to 10 people in seating, and also has a full double berth.
However, despite the convenience, such a long sofa requires a sufficiently large room, which is not always possible to find in modern apartments.
Based on the size of the berth, the following sizes can be distinguished:
- Single with a width of 70 to 150 cm and a length of 180 to 220 cm.
- Double with a width of 140 cm.
- Triple sofas with a berth with a width of 200 cm. The most popular in this category are sofas with a square berth of 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 meters.
If you plan to use the corner sofa as a sleeping place (permanent or additional for guests), then you need to pay attention to folding models equipped with special mechanisms:
- Eurobook. One of the most popular and durable options used to make furniture. In order to turn a sofa into a bed using this mechanism, it is necessary to extend the seat for all the way forward and lower the back to the resulting free space. Reassembly takes place according to the same principle - the backrest rises, the seats retract. Most often, in the niche that is formed by shearing, there is a large and roomy laundry box, which is also a plus for small rooms.
This model can also be used as an island, since the back is made of the main upholstery fabric, which means it looks no less aesthetically pleasing than the front part, which allows you to install furniture not only close to the wall, but also to any place in the room.
- Dolphin. Also reliable and durable enough mechanism for daily use. In order to spread out the sofa with this mechanism, it is necessary to extend the lower part and, using a special strap, pull the berth up.
It should be noted that this mechanism does not provide for a laundry box, therefore, in corner sofas with this mechanism, the niche is usually located under the side section.
- Accordion. When unfolding, a comfortable large and flat berth is formed. When folded, the sofa is a fairly compact design, however, it is important to have a sufficiently large space for folding. The layout mechanism is extremely simple - you need to raise the seat to a distinctive click and extend the berth to the full length provided.
- Sedaflex. Inexpensive mechanism that allows you to purchase an extra bed. This mechanism acts on the principle of a clamshell, has a fairly solid metal structure and a thick comfortable mattress.
- Cougar. The mechanism appeared relatively recently, but has already managed to win the hearts of consumers with quality and ease of use. So, in order to get a berth with the help of the Puma mechanism, it is necessary to pull the seat by a special strap, it will be moved away and the section hidden inside until this moment will fall into its place.
Models with this mechanism have a spacious, even berth, however, it should be noted that the laundry box is only possible in the corner block of the sofa, as in models like Dolphin.
- Roll-out. One of the most popular and simple mechanisms. Due to the fragility of the design, it is not suitable for daily permanent use, but it will be an ideal option for overnight guests. Here, the berth simply extends from the inner niche, while the back is motionless.
A variety of forms of corner sofas allows you to choose the most suitable style and functionality. So, varieties of forms:
- The simplest and most common form is a corner sofa with one right angle, which is located to the right or left of the main straight part. Depending on the model, this angle can be roll-out, removable or stationary. Some models provide the ability to install the existing angle on either side using special mounts.
- The U-shape is also a sofa with a right angle, however, unlike the first option, there is a corner on both sides of the piece of furniture, which allows you to place more people and get an even bigger berth when laying out.
However, it must be borne in mind that the designs of this model are rather bulky, and therefore require more free space in the room than simple corner sofas, which are designed just to save that very space.
- Round. In addition to sofas with right angles, there are models with streamlined, rounded shapes. Such models represent a seat located in a semicircle, which allows very comfortable seating for, for example, around a round table. If such a sofa provides for the transformation into a berth, then it turns out round or oval, depending on the chosen size.
Remarkably round sofas look in apartments with semicircular bay windows, such a sofa is installed along the window and allows you to easily enjoy the views with a cup of fragrant tea.
Having decided on the transformation mechanism, the size and shape of the future sofa, you need to decide on the upholstery material - this will determine the final appearance of the furniture, as well as in many ways the product’s life. The range of upholstery fabrics is huge today.
You can choose fabric upholstery or leather, natural materials or artificial:
- So, one of the most popular materials today is chenille. The fabric got its name from a thread that is included in the fabric; it looks like a fluffy, booked caterpillar, so a soft, rounded surface is characteristic of this material. This fabric has a good density, does not stretch over time and lends itself well to cleaning, for which an ordinary vacuum cleaner with a nozzle for upholstered furniture will be enough.
However, it should be borne in mind that the material is afraid of damage, which means that for apartments in which the cat likes to sharpen claws on the sofa, such upholstery is not the best choice.
- Gunny. Such a fabric is obtained by interweaving dense double or triple-strand yarns, the threads form a pattern resembling a chessboard. Typically, this fabric is made of cotton or linen bases, so it is environmentally friendly and natural material, in addition, it is quite dense, which prevents rapid wear of the product.
The disadvantages include the color scheme, because with such an interweaving it is impossible to obtain fabric with patterns, therefore only monophonic models are made from matting.
- The most velvety and pleasant to the touch upholstery material is velor. A sofa with velor upholstery will be quite beautiful and practical. The material is not afraid of mechanical damage, strong enough and does not require special care. It is enough several times a month to walk on it with a soft brush.
- Flock. Material with a cotton base, on which a soft pile is subsequently applied by spraying. It is possible to apply any pattern to such a fabric, since it is produced by printing. Such material retains its shape well, does not fade and has high water-repellent properties.
- Tapestry. One of the most durable and at the same time cheap fabrics used for upholstery. Usually this is a double-sided fabric with various patterns, which in the manufacture of certain models of furniture is combined with a suitable plain fabric. The material lends itself well to dry cleaning, and a composition that includes natural cotton gives the fabric hypoallergenic and good breathability.
The main disadvantage is the rapid burnout in the sun.
- Genuine Leather. This fabric is used for upholstery of the most expensive furniture. However, the price justifies itself: genuine leather is one of the most durable and durable materials, in addition, furniture made of leather always has an attractive appearance. The disadvantages of this coating include the fact that genuine leather does not differ in a wide range of colors.
- Imitation leather. A material that is not inferior in its properties to natural skin. So, dermatin has a low degree of abrasion, does not absorb odors and is very easy to clean. Unlike natural material, it has a more extensive color gamut, and the cost is several times lower.
- In addition, it is worth paying attention to special models of corner sofas, which do not require upholstery and will be an excellent option for country houses or kitchens. Such models are created by weaving from artificial rattan. This is stylish, light and durable furniture, you just have to add it with soft pillows - and an unusual, interesting interior for a relatively low cost is ready.
Choosing a new sofa should be based on the original style of decoration of the room in which it will be located:
- For example, a sofa for a living room decorated in a classic style should have soft upholstery and a large number of pillows. Classic sofas accept draperies, trims, carved elements, for example, carved wooden armrests. The variety of color solutions is huge, you can opt for light velor upholstery with golden prints, or give preference to deep, noble colors, such as burgundy or blue.
- If the general interior of the room is designed in a calm and peaceful Provence style, the sofa should meet the following requirements: the upholstery should be made of soft, muted shades (ideal colors are light lilac, cream, gray, white), and floral prints using lilacs are also allowed and green shades. It is possible to use fabrics with polka dots, a cage or a strip. It is better to opt for natural upholstery fabrics. Good options are gunny, linen, or fabrics with a high cotton content. Finishing from ruffle or lace will be useful, which will add furniture to romance and lightness.
- In contrast to the Provence style, you can imagine a high-tech room. Here sofas are more reminiscent of office furniture, and upholstery is usually made of leather or dermatin, which increases the practicality of the furniture and its functionality. High-tech models feature straight lines and a lack of decor.
- Modern Art Nouveau accepts strange, non-standard forms of sofas. Shelves, side tables for sofas, huge soft pillows, which are used not only for decoration, but also for a more comfortable sitting, are appropriate here. Beige, black, brown models are the most popular choice for this style, however, you can take a chance and create a bright accent using the sofa. For example, the use of red color will add brightness and life to the room.
- Minimalism style is becoming increasingly popular today. In order to complement the room of this style with a sofa, you need to pay attention to the simplest models. They should have an even geometric shape: the less curvature, decor, fabric textures on them, the better the furniture will fit into the stated style. Sofas are usually made in gray, white, beige or black shades. If you need a bright accent, the style allows you to make an addition in the form of bright pillows of a very strict and even form.
Pay attention to the following nuances:
- Choosing a corner sofa, first of all, you need to decide which side the corner will be directed to. When buying, it is worthwhile to clarify whether a change of modification and an independent change in the location of the corner are possible. Modern models most often have this function.
- If you plan to use the sofa for sleeping every day, you need to pay special attention to the choice of the layout mechanism and the internal content. So, a sofa on a spring block with a eurobook mechanism or a dolphin would be an ideal choice.
- Good quality models are distinguished by high-quality, even and beautiful seams, therefore, when buying, first of all, you need to pay attention to them, because to see what is likely to fail inside and you can judge the quality of the product as a whole by the quality of the seam.
- If the furniture is chosen for a standard layout apartment, then there is no particular choice in the modifications of the sofa, it is simply placed in one of the corners to the wall itself. This means that it is not necessary to choose premium upholstery for the back wall, it is quite possible to limit yourself to the economy class, and the money saved, for example, can be spent on bright pillows, or other fashion accessories for the room. They, unlike the back of the sofa, will delight the eyes of the owners and their guests.
- If the size of the apartment and the wallet allow, you can pay attention to stylish design solutions. Unusual shapes, original decor will help add zest to the interior. It is important here that the sofa, with all its visual pluses, be also convenient and practical, otherwise it will have to be changed quickly, and such options are expensive.
- When choosing furniture for a children's room, you should pay attention to the elite upholstery fabrics, such as chenille and leather. They are not afraid of pollution, moisture, very easy to clean and are hypoallergenic fabrics. However, their cost is quite high, which, of course, must be considered when buying.
- The best sofas have a frame made of metal or solid wood, so when choosing separately, you need to focus on the choice of frame material. Of course, a solid wood frame will cost an order of magnitude higher than from chipboard, but such furniture will last longer.
How to assemble and disassemble a corner sofa?
Corner sofas are rather bulky designs and are very inconvenient for transportation. When a sofa is brought during a purchase, it is usually disassembled and then assembled by special craftsmen. But what if the sofa needs to be disassembled or assembled independently, for example, for moving? In addition, it may be necessary to disassemble the structure in cases where an integral sofa simply does not pass through the doorway, for example, if it is necessary to install furniture on a balcony or in a hall with a narrow arch. Here you can’t do without disassembly.
Often, a corner sofa is chosen for a summer residence, in this case, disassembling a monolithic sofa is also necessary, because transportation can take a long time and disassembling furniture will help maintain its quality and integrity during transportation.
So, the assembly-disassembly mechanism is standard for all models of corner sofas, whether it be a couch with a Puma mechanism or with a swivel mechanism, a roll-out model or an eurobook, on a metal frame or with a wooden base. The disassembly technique is as follows:
- The sofa should be disassembled , starting with the dismantling of all removable parts of the structure , removing pillows, overhead mattresses, removable covers.
- Next, the main part of the sofa should be advanced. Thanks to this manipulation, the internal frame of the furniture will become visible. Then you should raise the side section, this will expose the fastening of one part to another. Fastening can be done with ordinary metal brackets or special screws. Such options will not cause difficulties when disassembling, but if the fasteners are hidden under the upholstery or have a non-standard shape, it is better to use the help of specialists. For self-disassembling options with hidden fasteners, you will need to carefully remove the upholstery (using a flat screwdriver, remove the fastening brackets, at the time of reassembly, it will be necessary to return the upholstery to its original place using a furniture stapler).
- First you need to remove the armrests, if any. This simple manipulation will already reduce the sofa by at least half a meter. After that, you can separate the main and side sections. To do this, remove the upholstery, if it covers the mount, unscrew the nuts and unhook the corner of the sofa. In principle, this can completely disassemble, but if you want to make the parts of the sofa not only small-sized, but also light, you can separate the soft parts and the laundry box. For this, it will also be necessary to remove the transformation mechanism, which can cause difficulties for an unprofessional furniture collector.
The assembly takes place in a similar pattern: first, with the help of screws, the parts of the corner sofa structure are connected, then the upholstery that hides the fastening, if it was provided for by the model, is returned to the place, after which the removed armrests are put in place. At the very end, all kinds of decor and pillows come back, the sofa is assembled.
Banner of a corner sofa
Any upholstered furniture of even the best quality wears out over time, and the question arises of changing furniture. However, do not rush and throw away your favorite sofa, perhaps it will save the hauling upholstery.
The constriction of an angular sofa includes the following manipulations:
- disassembly of the structure;
- removal of the old upholstery;
- open a new cover;
- fastening new upholstery material;
- assembly of the structure.
Before starting the restoration, it is necessary to select the fabric that will be constricted, determine the degree of deterioration of the filler and choose a replacement if necessary. When this is done, it is necessary to carefully disassemble the furniture and remove all the old upholstery. In this case, you must act very carefully so as not to damage the parts of the upholstery, which will become a pattern for a new cover.
Further, if necessary, it is worth replacing the filler, you can put a new block of springs or a foam block. When this is done, you can start cutting new parts of the upholstery. Then the new material is pulled over the parts of the sofa and secured with a furniture stapler. After that, it remains only to assemble all parts of the sofa together with the help of high-quality fasteners.
From the reviews on recommendation sites and store sites selling upholstered furniture, most users are satisfied with corner sofas. So, there is a fairly spacious seat, ease of use of storage boxes and a stylish appearance of modern models. People who have opted for corner models with an orthopedic mattress, note the convenience of use as the main berth.
Negative reviews occur in people who have chosen too cheap models of corner sofas. It must be remembered that a high-quality sofa that will last quite a long time and will please its owner should cost at least 30 thousand, savings are made on cheaper and short-lived materials, flimsy frames and transformation mechanisms. Therefore, fillers are squeezed, mechanisms become unusable, and the fabric is quickly worn away.
In addition, the negative causes the wrong choice of the overall size of the furniture or the corner located on the wrong side, which does not allow you to install furniture with saving free space. The use of the corner berth also causes some discontent, some users note the fact that the joint between the blocks of the sofa is felt too much when using the berth. This can be avoided by choosing the most convenient transformation mechanisms and a thorough check when buying, you need to fold out the sofa several times and, if possible, lie down on it.
On how to choose the corner of the sofa, see the next video.