The bathroom in our time is a complex set of a variety of devices, plumbing connections and components. As for the mixers, there can be two, and three - it all depends on how many and what is installed in the bathroom. Any technique tends to break sometimes, and faucets are no exception, so you need to know what to do in these cases. With detailed information and an algorithm of actions, you can easily fix minor malfunctions with your own hands.
Types: design features
Every modern bathroom has a faucet. Replacing a bath with an invigorating shower saves water. Sometimes the mixer fails, then repair or the acquisition of new components is required.
A faucet is one of the main devices in the bathroom, it is in the bathroom, in the shower, and in the sink, if it is installed separately. Using this unit, you can adjust both the pressure of the water and its temperature.
The mixer can be of the following types:
The first includes two valves, which by rotation allow you to achieve the desired current of water and its temperature. Such a unit is simply arranged, if necessary, it is easily disassembled and repaired. When working, it is important to follow the recommended sequence of operations, this is the best guarantee that there will be no extra parts after assembly.
The adjustment of the water by means of the second type is that the lever rises upward and rotates to the side. Inside this design is a large ball with special slots and in contact with the lever.
Through such slots water with different temperatures enters and mixes. The water pressure is regulated by changing the angle of rotation of the lever.
The model with a ceramic cartridge has two plates that are in contact with one another. The plates move relative to each other when the lever changes position. Due to this, cold and hot water can mix.
The overhead crane is reliably protected by gaskets, which can be:
Valve head assemblies can be changed. The box crane, in turn, may consist of:
- from tees;
- from branch pipes.
A tee connects several pipes, the second type is connected using a special wiring.
The lever mixer is very popular, its main advantages:
- simplicity in operation;
- It looks aesthetically attractive;
- ease of installation.
The circuit diagram of such structures is simple; unfortunately, it is not possible to repair them, it is possible - the casing is designed in such a way that it cannot be disassembled.
Switches from the tap to the shower can be of the following types:
- push-button devices;
- cartridge type.
The most common and simplest are cartridge type switches. Their main failure is the wear of the rubber ring between the body and the shift lever. Gasket rubber is located in an environment in which there is both high humidity and mechanical stress. The destruction of the gasket is only a matter of time. It is not difficult to fix the malfunction, for this you should disassemble the device and replace the gasket.
What needs to be done to repair the crane:
- block the flow of water;
- disconnect the lever from the mixer;
- unscrew the screw from the switch;
- dismantle the switch;
- install a new ring;
- wind the FUM tape onto the thread in several layers;
- put the lever in place, tighten the screw.
A nut breakage is often found in slide switches; it secures the switch in the shower itself. Similar incidents happen when the materials the mixer is made of are made from cheap silumin material.
It is recommended to buy nuts and hardware made of hard alloys:
Such a malfunction is resolved as follows:
- the mixer is disassembled;
- the hose is unscrewed from the shower;
- the bottom nut is twisted.
If the nut fails due to thread wear, then it should be replaced with an analog of a better material. After processing with sandpaper, the device is assembled, lubricated with solid oil and put into place.
Breakdowns and their causes
Often, breakdowns occur at switching points for other reasons:
- failure of the button;
- the passage of water at the same time in the faucet and shower hose;
- failure of the mechanism that controls the flow of water;
- abrasion of gaskets in the push button switch itself.
It is possible to eliminate leakage when changing rubber rings. The push-button switch breaks due to a failure of the metal spring, which should be replaced.
If there is a decrease in water pressure in two-valve taps, it is quite possible that the clogged aerator is to blame for this. It is also possible failure of the spools, which are responsible for the flow of water entering the tap and shower.
Similar nodes from bona fide manufacturers are designed for a long service life, so it is recommended to buy plumbing devices on trading floors that have a good reputation. Each unit of goods must always be accompanied by genuine quality certificates and warranty.
In order to repair damage, you should use the services of masters with practical experience. In this case, it’s good to have certain ideas about how the mixers are arranged, and what types they are.
Any mixer consists of several nodes:
- rubber pads;
- axle box;
- decorative elements;
Most often there are malfunctions in the form of a leak, they are:
- under the gander;
- under the lever of the mixer;
- under the mixer valve with two valves;
- at the connection points of the hose and shower.
- Water may leak under the mounting nut due to wear on the gasket.
In this case, repairs can be done with your own hands, the qualification of a plumber is not required here.
Often, malfunctions can easily be eliminated by replacing a worn ring with a new partonite ring. When winding the gander, it is imperative to lay the FUM tape so that the gaps are better sealed. Leakage in the lever mixer occurs when the cartridge itself breaks. Such a malfunction is resolved by changing the cartridge. It can be of different sizes, it depends on the manufacturer. When buying a new cartridge, it is advisable to take a failed one with them, their compliance should be 100%.
From under the lever, the leakage is eliminated in this way:
- First, the cap is removed, which is marked with a red-blue marker on the handle;
- the fixing bolt is unscrewed;
- the lever is removed;
- cartridge is changing;
- The mixer is reassembling.
Leaking in a two-valve design occurs in most cases due to the failure of a non-ceramic axle box crane; In this case, it is recommended to replace the axle box. Also, wear of rubber or silicone gaskets is often found in this type of device. To determine the breakdown, the assembly is disassembled (if it is ceramic).
Further, the repair process is as follows:
- the plug is removed from the valve;
- the bolt is unscrewed;
- the stub is removed;
- the valve is twisted;
- the axle box crane is dismantled;
- are the causes of the malfunction.
Next, the assembly is reassembled, with new gaskets being installed. If water leaks at the junction of the shower hose, the cause is wear on the gaskets.
Repair should be as follows:
- unscrew the fixing nuts;
- change gaskets;
- thread is fastened with FUM tape;
- all elements are reassembled in the same order.
- most often problems arise with classic two-valve bath mixers. They can have a movable spout, be round or flat configuration. Failures occur in most cases due to wear on the gaskets located under the fastening nut. There is always one reason: too hard water.
Causes of malfunctions of contactless mixers
There is only one reason, because this type of mixer is considered the most reliable: there are no nodes subjected to mechanical stress.
Manufacturers provide warranties for these devices for at least five years.
Repairing contactless faucets is always a daunting task. Failures in them most often occur due to the failure of the sensors responsible for the flow of water. It is difficult to resolve this kind of problem yourself; it would be wiser to delegate this work to a specialist.
It is highly likely that the cause of the mixer failure may be too hard water, in which there is an excessive amount of iron salts.
The most common damage:
- the water jet is very thin. The simplest fault that can be easily fixed. Most often, this is observed when the aerator fails, this is a special device at the end of the spout. The aerator is usually made of metal or plastic;
- switching modes of water intake is difficult. In this case, the switching mechanism is repaired.
- Both ceramic gaskets and rubber ones are suitable for cores, they can be changed as needed. Silumin is an alloy of two elements: silicon and aluminum. This material makes cheap models of mixers, which are extremely short-lived due to their fragility. Sometimes you can find faucets of spectacular appearance for a small price. Most likely they are made of silumin, it is not recommended to buy them, because it can spontaneously burst or fall apart.
- When buying, you should pay attention to the external chrome coating, for poor-quality products it is often of poor quality.
- Brass faucets are quality products. Its composition includes copper and zinc. The more copper in the alloy, the greater the likelihood that the product will last a long time. It is recommended to buy just such devices.
- To properly mount the eccentrics, rewind them with a sealing flight. It will take at least 8 turns of electrical tape (a lot depends on the thickness and density).
- When tightening the nuts, it is not recommended to tighten them so as not to spoil the gaskets.
- To check for leaks, it is recommended that you turn on the water after tightening the eccentrics. If there are no leaks, then you can continue to work.
- Cranes with a gander turning can be mounted at different heights from 15 to 45 cm from the side of the bath. Installation must be carried out in such a way that the length of the shower hose is sufficient.
- A hand-held flexible shower is necessary, and only the user can choose its optimal length.
- electric drill;
- a hammer;
- adjustable wrench;
Mixer installation work phases:
- screwing of eccentrics;
- installation of the main building;
- spout installation;
- installation of a shower;
It can be seen from the above that the installation of the mixer is simple. If you exactly follow the proposed instructions, then all the work can be completed in half a day. In the event that there is neither the minimum skills to work with plumbing, nor the desire to deal with its device and repair, you can always entrust professionals to perform these tasks.
For how to repair a bathroom faucet with shower, see the following video: