Any color has a psychological effect on a person’s state, gives him peace or anger, improves performance or, conversely, inhibits activity. Various combinations of shades in the living room should be guided by the personal preferences of the person, the purpose of the room. Bright walls of the bedroom can worsen sleep, dark tones in the active zone lead to stagnation.
A variety of shades, saturation of the gamut, temperature allows you to translate color ideas into reality, create a unique interior for a comfortable life and work.
Before compiling a room palette, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the rules for combining colors and their effects on humans.
Concept and classification
Color - the property of an object or plane, the ability to reflect the sun's rays. According to the accepted classification, paint is divided into chromatic and achromatic. By temperature it is warm, cold, by saturation - light, dull, bright, faded.
The first group is represented by all the familiar colors. The main colors, they are primary - blue, red, yellow. The secondary group appears during the mixing of the first colors - green, orange, purple. Achromatic tones - black, white, gray.
A black and white scale is necessary for compiling the compatibility of colors and for their saturation. The white color contrasts with other pure colors, black, allowing you to visually expand the workspace, brighten the object, create volume in geometric shapes, patterns with a floral motif.
Black is contrasted with white, muffles the gamut, makes objects smaller, narrows the room, enhances warm colors against its background. Black color contrasts with bright colors (pink, red), neutral (beige, sand), with pastel colors, making it visually more saturated (pale green, pale blue and others).
The combination on the basis of disharmony and the taking of primary and secondary groups (blue - red, violet - green) is neutralized by a border of white, black, gray paint.
Warm colors are located nearby: yellow, orange, red. On the other side they are contrasted with cold colors: green, blue, purple. The pink tone and its derivative shades belong to the cold spectrum. The connection with the amount of warm paint added to the cold color affects the final color, resulting in a warm and cold tone. Such complex colors allow you to expand the color palette.
Light shades depend on the amount of white added to them, black is responsible for dullness. Bright colors are clear, they do not contain an admixture of white or black. A dim gamut is created based on gray.
Impact and color selection
Before painting the walls in the chosen color or when buying furniture of a bright shade, it is worthwhile to correctly compose the color harmony of the selected room. For example: objects of saturated color are not always appropriate in rooms designed for sleep.
Human exposure to color
- Red. Active color, carries energy, raises the temperature, creating a feeling of warmth, accelerates the heart rhythm. The color is aggressive, swift. Pure red should be used in small quantities as an accent color, in the form of decor items: a chair, a chandelier or a wardrobe. Needs dilution with clean, calm colors to reduce shade activity. A variety of brick, burgundy dark and cherry shades based on red are appropriate in large quantities, they are used for painting walls, upholstering large furniture and so on.
The dimmer and less saturated the red color becomes, the more gentle the effect it has on a person.
- Orange Slightly thrills, tunes in a friendly manner, warms, uplifting. The orange hue is perfect for living rooms or meeting rooms. Warm temperature sets up for easy communication with the preservation of activity. Too much orange leads to anxiety.
This color goes well with cold achromatic colors, standing out against their background.
- Yellow . Joyful color, gives optimism, leads to distraction. It can serve as a replacement for orange. Active color, credible. Lowering saturation and increasing temperature makes yellow more calm and restrained. Mustard shade is appropriate in the dining room, living room of the classic style.
- Green. This color is used for bathrooms, the walls of workrooms are painted in dark cold shades. Green in its diversity is able to improve human performance without overwork. Leads to reflection, concentration. Looks good as an accent color. In combination with white, it refreshes the interior, evens out the temperature.
- Blue Tends to romanticism, relieves stress. Royal color. Suitable for rooms of any purpose, with the exception of the kitchen. Pastel shades of blue visually warmer, calm. A clear blue tone must be balanced with creamy, pale orange and other warm colors.
With an excess of blue tone, anxiety occurs, mood drops, activity slows down.
- Blue. Relaxes, promotes relaxation, inspires confidence. Dark saturated blue shade is good for bedrooms or indoors, helps reduce stress and soothe the eyes. This color scheme is combined with monochromatic colors; it requires warm accents with the same saturation to maintain temperature.
- Purple. Symbolizes inspiration. Together with blue paint suitable for bedrooms. Creates a chamber of space, privacy, protection. The color is concise, it is best to use it for coloring large areas. An excess of violet (in different scales) is alarming.
- Grey. Symbolizes accuracy, restraint, measured, disposed to melancholy. The gray tone is neutral, suitable for decoration of any interior style. Universal shade. The addition of warm colors restrains the monotony of the paint, its negative features. Dark gray colors will replace the black in the interior, serve as a substrate for decor items (paintings, mirrors, wardrobes and so on), shade bright, clear colors.
- The black. The color of concentration, with prolonged perception, leads to depression. Black tone is preferably used as an accent color. Kohler visually makes objects closer, smaller. Tinting large areas in black is acceptable when mixing the main shade with other tones to remove depressive color perception.
- White. The shade, symbolizing lightness, purity, has a positive attitude. A bright white tone causes fatigue. In a large volume causes despondency, alienation, coldness. It is necessary to dilute it with color accents. Light tone is combined with any colors. Adding warm colors to the color smooths out the sharp focus of the tone, softens, and soothes.
Suitable for bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms of the northern orientation. Gives additional light due to reflection of rays, increases space.
- Brown. It carries confidence, stamina, poise, creates coziness. A pure brown shade - a strong, sharp, diluted tone - soft, feminine. A diverse range of brown colors is used for painting walls and kitchen items, bedrooms, loggias. Partially used in bathrooms. Excessive use of tone leads to depression, despondency.
When applying complex colors (peach, pistachio, Tiffany and others), you should focus on the prevailing shade in the color and its significance.
The color wheel and its application
For the designer, Iten’s 12-sector circle is a necessary thing to determine the best combination of colors. Primary colors - blue, yellow, red. The result of their connection is purple, green, orange. Transitional - color, mixed with white, black paint, expanding the palette in temperature, saturation.
There are several harmonious combinations of colors.
- Additional. Show the compatibility of opposing colors - purple with yellow, blue plus orange, green with red. The arrangement of colors with each other enhances the saturation of each color. The combination of colors leads to the creation of a shade close to gray, but not pure. Psychologically, finding shades nearby creates a feeling of achromatic colors.
- The complementary method, or contrasting compatibility . All compositions are built according to the scheme of nuance or contrast. Complementary compatibility is obtained from complementary colors, the effect is enhanced by repeating the placement of colors in other areas. The maximum value of contrast is achieved by mixing a pale tone with a colorful color scheme.
Contrast decor is easily perceived at a distance, it is used in landscape design, interior design projects.
- Nuance composition. It is represented by the use of neighboring shades of the same temperature, saturation (violet-blue-green, pale yellow-orange-red). The nuance composition gives the room dynamics, optimism, vitality, but a long stay in such a space tires, inhibits reactions.
- Triad. Harmonization of three colors, built on the principle of a triangle, passing three spectral cells inside - violet-orange-green, yellow-blue-red and the like. The use of bright colors allows you to achieve "aggressiveness" of the interior, sharpness, dynamics. A rich triad is used to design living rooms, game rooms, fast food cafes - wherever activity is required.
In creating a bedroom using the triad principle, it is recommended to use two colors in a muted range, to lighten them by adding white paint.
- The analog triad. It works on the same principle, but paints are taken next to them: purple, violet-red, red or blue-blue-green, green.
- Shared harmony. Three colors are laid in the foundation of the composition. The combination of separate harmony is constructed in the following way: the key color plus two additional paints located on the back of the circle. These colors are located at a distance of one spectral cell from each other. For example: yellow is the main, and blue-violet, red-violet colors are optional.
- Alternative combination. Combined from four tones, the composition is built on a separate harmony scheme without missing a color cell, that is, yellow is the base, complementary colors are violet-blue, violet, red-violet.
- A similar combination. The use of several shades, a maximum of 5. This layout is made up of colors, located close to other paints. In creating a calming interior, each shade should be restrained in saturation or one temperature. Additionally, there is support for the rule of harmonious correlation of many shades: 2 key colors in the interior occupy 65% of the total space, the following shades - 30%, and one tone is an accent - 5%.
- Separately complementary composition . In the three of this design, the opposite color is applied plus 2 adjacent paints. To make a palette, a figure in the shape of a triangle is used. For example, violet, green yellow, yellow; green, blue, red-orange. In a separately complementary harmony, it is necessary to choose a key color scheme, only then to select incidental colors.
- Tetrad. Harmonization of four tones. The method is based on the choice of the main shade, two additional, one accentuating tone. Different harmony options: one main tone, two accent colors, one additional tone. Visually, paints are selected in the form of a geometric figure - a rectangle. Combinations - green, blue, orange, red; blue-violet, red-violet, yellow-green, yellow-orange.
- Square combination. The selected colors are at a distance of two cells from each other. For example, green, yellow-orange, red, blue-violet. The use of the key tint in its pure form in a square pattern should be supported by a secondary shade of low saturation, two accent tones of moderate saturation.
- Six-color composition . It works similarly with previous techniques. The colors are selected using a hexagonal shape. Choices: yellow, green, blue, purple, orange, red.
Key Harmony Perfect Harmony Table with Others
paints of any temperature and saturation
pewter, gold, black, saffron, khaki, thunder
warm color scheme
cornflower blue, candy floss, canary, carmine, fiery, black, light blue, pastel colors
chestnut, rich burgundy, wet stone
wheat, nickel, flamingo, curry, gold
dark chocolate, amaranth, graphite
magenta, marengo, coniferous, black, earthen
madder, black, burgundy, amber, gold
pumpkin, cobalt, violet, pomegranate
burgundy, gainsborough, raspberry, honey
sea buckthorn, pear, lime
achromatic paints, scarlet, canary, emerald.
bleached peach, coffee, pastel purple pink
sky blue, wisteria, amethyst
violet, mint green, creamy
gray on a white base, fuchsia, pastel pink
eggplant, gray, purple with the addition of red
olive, beige, diluted with white, light chestnut
pink with white, mauve on a white background, carrot
clarified blue, golden, marine saturated blue
Styles and Palette
Each style has its own narrow palette of suitable shades that characterizes the chosen direction.
- The classic interior is presented in calm colors. The room is necessarily zoned, stucco is applied, many wooden surfaces, expensive upholstery fabrics, gilding, fabric wallpaper, tapestries, carpets. The rooms in the classical style are filled with air, the furniture does not clutter up the space, the lighting is dim, diffused, the windows are draped with curtains. Design elements are large, massive, sparkling.
The palette consists of pastel pink, blue, cream, beige, light gray, pale brown, dark green, golden, silver and other tones and their combinations.
- Neoclassic. It retains its classic style, color palette, but the interior is diluted with modern furniture, appliances. The following gamut is inherent in neoclassicism: olive, mint, white, ocher, graphite, blue, pink, burgundy, black, beige, dusty lilac.
- High tech. Modern design made of glass, wood, plastic. Interior items are made in a futuristic design. Unique furniture is given standard furniture, equipping with additional functions. The direction of the style is cold, persistent, masculine. Palette: silver, asphalt gray, blue-black, shades of white, metallic paints, olive, lilac, saturated brown.
- Minimalism. It is characterized by a free space filled with furniture made of wood, metal. Windows are often not curtained, the walls of rooms are painted white or other neutral shades, plants are almost absent. The style is calm, cold, masculine. Colors: any pastel, green, beige, golden, bronze, sand, pale lemon, black.
- Country. Country house style. Warm colors create coziness, have a rest, calm. The interior is filled with natural materials, furniture in a classic and modern design. Colors: beige, greenish-gray, burgundy on a red substrate, carmine, brown, green.
- Loft. Factory style, filled with natural materials, a large number of metal objects, open wiring, storage system. The palette is built around brick tones, black, white, red, the entire spectrum of gray, yellow.
- Thai style. It is characterized by bright colors, resembling tropical greens, sea, sand, deep blue sky. The interior is cheerful, refreshing. Palette: marine, beige, green, carrot, saturated purple, melon, emerald, pomegranate, brown.
- Japanese style. Restraint and conciseness, freshness, airiness. The traditional Japanese style is done in white with wooden surfaces. Paints: willow, brown, red-orange, diluted pink, pine.
- Romantic. The style resembles classic interiors with the addition of bright accents, floral textiles. Use wallpaper with a floral motif, images of animals. Tones: fuchsia, saturated light green, violet, ultramarine, purple, pastel pink, blue, beige, gray.
- Scandinavian direction. Style on the palette of tones resembles minimalism. It is distinguished by the presence of a large number of warm colors, accent colors, greenery, natural materials. Colors: brown, deep gray, white, pastel blue, beige yellow, lime, blue, dusty shades.
- Ethnic style. The color palette is selected from the key colors corresponding to the selected country. Most often, colors are represented in bright shades (fuchsia, azure, Moroccan orange) with an abundance of golden tones. To create a French atmosphere, white, light tones are taken, green, indigo, rose quartz, scarlet are added.
- Shabby chic. Feminine direction. The interior is built on the principle of comfort, soothing colors with contrasting accents. There are plant motifs, ceramics, frills. Tones: light green, girlish pink, transparent white, pastel colors, beige, yellow.
How to combine decoration with the surroundings?
After familiarizing yourself with the principle of the color wheel, you can begin to practice. We will analyze the best combinations of home decoration among themselves.
There are basic rules for choosing the color of flooring.
- expands the space;
- reflects the sun's rays, making the room brighter;
- used with pale wall colors;
- Looks best in the sleeping area, bathroom, living room.
- combined with any tone of wall decoration, provided that the flooring is one or more tones darker;
- with high-quality lighting makes accentuating objects pronounced against the dark floor;
- not compatible with dark-colored room doors;
- It is applied in rooms of any purpose.
Gray neutral floor harmonizes with white or black colors, yellow tone. Suitable for bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, used in the design of apartments in the style of Provence, minimalism.
Walls are painted in any colors. From the purpose of the premises, paints are able to create an active, neutral or inert space. Active colors act as an accent. Harmonize with contrasting bright colors, with a neutral, calm range.
Pastel colors are the most common solution . They work as a neutral substrate in the interior of any direction. Decor, floor, and ceiling of all colors are suitable for such a color scheme. Universal option.
Ceilings in most cases are painted with snow-white paint or other light shades. The whitened top is combined with any tones, floor coverings and decor items. The paint is applied with a glossy or matte effect. To create contrast, it is necessary to have saturated colors used on the walls or appearing in the upholstery of furniture. Used in all rooms of the apartment.
If you want to paint the ceiling in a dark palette, you should know that:
- black paint is made only on large areas with high ceilings (from 3 meters);
- harmonizes exclusively with white tone and its derivatives, bright furniture, floor;
- used in the style of minimalism;
- visually creates a feeling of high cost in rooms with panoramic windows.
Natural shades of wood used to design interior doors are suitable for any stylistic direction. Platbands, like skirting boards, should be made in the same color palette as the doors themselves. White tone is suitable for a classic interior. Dark doors or painted in cool shades are used in minimalism and require careful application. Dark tones enhance the contrast of colors in a neutral room.
After creating a fine finish, the room is filled with things of a suitable color scheme. The choice of furniture is based on two rules: it should be darker than the wall covering and lighter than the floor.
A sofa in monochrome tones is located in the same living rooms. It does not attract attention, does not visually reduce space. If the interior is created in neutral colors or in bright oriental themes, large furniture is selected in pastel shades. Colored sofas of various colors are selected according to the principle of contrast, separate alternative harmony. Bright furniture is combined with wood of any tone.
Important! Colorful furniture must be supported by lamps, pots or chairs of the same shade.
Successful combinations for different rooms
Consider the harmony of colors in rooms for different purposes.
The color palette of the kitchen space is based on the stylistic direction of the room. As a rule, the color of furniture is combined with a wall covering, a floor with a door, dishes with textiles. The presence of contrasts enlivens the interior, dilutes the passivity of colors. In a quiet beige interior, you need to add color spots in the form of plates, appliances.
If the headsets are decorated with wooden surfaces or imitate it, then you should give preference to pastel tones of pink, green, blue, add gray and brown paint. This solution is used in kitchens created in the modern style, neoclassic.
High-tech dictates the harmony of gray key colors with bright metal, neon tones or dark rich colors: eggplant, olive.
The loft stands out with a white brick apron, wooden furniture, a unique metal decor: dishes, hobs, wall-mounted instrument holders. The colors are diluted, dark: dusty purple, gray-olive and so on.
Rules for the harmony of colors in the kitchen.
- Combining a key shade with the texture of the finish: tile, siding, plaster. Paints should differ from each other by at least a tone.
- The use of contrasting colors for visual zoning of the room.
- The monochrome surface is diluted with screen patterns, various ornaments, stripes.
- The furniture set is a few tones darker than the walls, but lighter than the floor.
Accents made in contrasting colors accentuate the key color of the interior. Indigo enlivens the gray-blue color, the “sea wave” is suitable for the orange spectrum, the blood-red is combined with the achromatic range.
The yellow fronts of the kitchen set stand out against the backdrop of a pale purple apron or walls. Other options: peach tone with a clarified blue color, red color against a graphite background.
The spectral color choice of the living room is based on the area of the room. Shades based on white will expand the recreation area, add air, space. Dark colors are responsible for zoning, comfort.
The purpose of the living room also affects the palette of shades. Family gathering and meeting guests dictates a balanced gamut. Parties, activities, celebrations - bright fashionable range, causing colors.
The reception area is decorated in a gray tone with a purple direction, the worker is painted in olive color, the dining area looks impressive in scarlet colors with golden accents. Blue and black are suitable only for large areas with panoramic windows, to relieve visual stress, the interior is diluted with a light decor with the addition of mustard, mint, white and other tones.
The organization of a berth in the living room requires simple solutions: wool color, lavender, mustard, graphite, wenge, emerald color.
As accents, paintings of bright colors are used, whose paints intersect with textiles, upholstery, chair covers, curtains, pastel colored carpets. It is desirable to paint the ceiling in the living room with light paint, the use of a different tone requires a change in the color of the parquet and skirtings towards dimming, helping to achieve a balanced interior, color composition.
Placing a large amount of furniture in the living room leaves a choice of three colors, excessive overload of paints will lead to fatigue and irritability.
The palette is built based on the data of the owner of the room: his age, gender, preferences, the desired functionality of the room. In the woman’s bedroom, the emphasis is on pink, peach, and eggplant. Men's bedrooms are painted in neutral colors, blue tones. For a married couple it is preferable to decorate the walls in scarlet and white.
Common options: a combination of turquoise with emerald, indigo and graphite, blackberry with canary yellow, pistachio and carmine, caramel with chocolate, milk plus coral, lemon and gray.
Children's bedrooms are always painted in pastel colors, so as not to cause children fatigue, decreased mental ability, activity. Bright rooms are richly decorated with bright contrasting colors through toys, furniture, books, paintings.
Bathrooms are usually small footage. The use of dark colors can negatively affect the human psyche, the presence of a window in the bathroom will circumvent this rule. White, pastel, olive and blue gamma enjoys a big advantage. The palette is reflected in the color of the tiles, plumbing. Color accents are arranged by means of wooden furniture, a laid-on washbasin, appliances, textiles. Example: gray-green, larch, strawberry, lime, bluish.
The use of textured tiles, patterns, shower curtains with floral motifs also has an effect. Dark colors are used to create a classic design filled with luxury, gilding. In the bathroom, the floor and ceiling remain light, like the surrounding objects, but the walls are painted in rich muted shades: wine, cobalt, viridan, mahogany, plum.
Halls are painted in key tones of the entire interior. When zoning, the hue changes to the opposite or several tones lighter or darker with the addition of texture. Built-in cabinets are decorated with mirror panels, wooden material of the same color scheme with a kitchen set or interior doors, or painted in neutral shades.
The use of bright colors allows you to dilute the monotony of the room. Example: the use of a neon yellow front door in a graphite hallway or a padded stool of cherry color in a creamy cream hallway. Color spots enliven the design, set in a positive way.