The snow blower has become an indispensable tool in areas where there is a lot of rainfall in winter. This technique allows you to quickly clear the area, making this a minimum of their own efforts.
A self-propelled gasoline snow blower is different in that it does not require any effort on the part of the user to move the equipment around the site. Simplicity of operation made the device very popular. It is enough to direct the unit in the desired direction, then the snow blower will independently move along a given trajectory and at a set speed.
On sale there are both tracked models, and with wheels that differ in wide rubber and deep tread. Which is better is difficult to say, since both options have the necessary grip and are maneuverable. If necessary, you can remove snow with a slight slope, this does not affect the performance of the equipment.
All models presented in a large assortment on the market can be divided into three types by weight:
- lungs weighing no more than 55 kilograms;
- medium with a weight of 55-80 kg;
- heavy - 80-90 kg.
You can also classify such units by technical parameters, for example, the throwing distance of the snow removed. The more powerful the equipment, the harder it is, respectively, and the range is greater. In medium-sized ones, the maximum value by which the snow-removing unit can throw snow is 15 meters. Lightweight compact models have an indicator of several meters, usually up to five.
If we consider from a constructive point of view self-propelled and non-self-propelled models, the former are distinguished by the presence of several augers, additional equipment with headlights, which allows the use of equipment even at dusk. Such units are popular with utilities.
When buying such equipment, the user must take into account not only the features of a particular model, but also the conditions in which it is planned to operate.
Device and principle of operation
The technique under consideration is created according to the standard scheme. The bucket through which snow is removed is installed in front. Depends on the model, what dimensions this part of the snowplow has. The greater its width and height, the more technology the machine can boast. The auger is mounted horizontally, because in this position, when it rotates, the snow mass moves into the impeller, which is necessary so that the equipment throws the snow removed to the side for a long distance. All of these elements are driven by a motor; it is also responsible for the rotation of the track or wheels.
To prevent the user from having problems starting the engine in cold weather, the manufacturer has provided for the availability of an electric starter, which is included in the standard 220 V power supply network.
As a backup option, they also put a manual starter. A heating system is provided on the handles, which protects hands from frostbite during the operation of the equipment. They also have control levers with the location of the bucket and switching the speed of the screw. Modern models offer the user up to six speeds of movement forward and two back. In more expensive versions, there is a special regulator responsible for the position of the gutter. It can be used at the time of movement of the snowplow. Snow throw range is also adjustable.
If you have to work at night, then you should buy a model in the construction of which halogen headlights are provided. They differ from others in high power and lighting range.
In order for the equipment to move freely off-road, the manufacturers supply complete soft tires with lugs on them.
Wheel lock - an additional function carried out by a cotter pin. It is necessary to increase the patency of equipment. The design of the bucket has special reliability and durability, which are provided through the use of additional stiffening ribs. There is a shoulder blade in the back. It is also possible to observe in the structure a plate made of metal, which is necessary for cutting a snow layer. The height of the bucket is adjusted by means of installed blocks.
The impeller is also made of a durable metal alloy, which has unique strength characteristics. It is coated with an anti-corrosion layer, therefore it retains its original properties for a long time. There is also a worm gear in the design, by means of which mechanical rotation is transmitted from the motor to the axis. From there, an auger mounted on strong bolts is activated.
Advantages and disadvantages
Snowblowers are available for sale at different prices, it all depends on the manufacturer, model, equipment. All of them have both pros and cons. It is worth saying that units manufactured by German companies rarely break down, since such quality is known throughout the world. Some users with minimal knowledge of technology independently fix small malfunctions, but if we talk about stable operation, then, of course, it is better to contact a specialist.
Snowplows are popular due to the following advantages:
- quickly clear the desired area;
- do not require operator effort;
- they don’t have a wire that gets tangled under their feet;
- lights are provided for in the design, so cleaning can be done in the dark;
- affordable cost;
- can be operated at any subzero temperature;
- no large repair costs;
- take up little space during storage;
- Do not make noise during work.
However, even with so many pros, this technique is not without drawbacks, including:
- special requirements for the type of fuel;
- complexity of settings;
- change oil regularly.
Rating of the best models
Professional snowplows have unique technical characteristics. Not the last place in the ranking is occupied by American, Chinese models and devices of Russian production, but German technology is always in the leading positions.
The list of the most popular units includes the following models.
- “Craftsman 88172” has a four-stroke engine in its equipment, which works great in low temperature conditions. The snow capture band is 610 mm. The technique moves with a capacity of 5.5 liters. with., while the rear gears provided only two, and the front six. The mass of the snow blower design is 86 kilograms. The equipment is assembled in America, where it passes the most stringent quality control. As a result, the unit can be praised for its reliability, resistance to stress, strength and ease of use.
This model is not without its drawbacks, for example, its gutter is made of plastic, respectively, it is lower in rating than iron.
As for the starter, it is made according to the European standard and must be connected to a 110 V network.
- "Daewoo Power Products DAST 8570" has a width and height of capture of snow mass of 670/540 mm. Such professional equipment is able to cope even with a large territory, since its engine power is 8.5 horsepower. The weight of the structure is increased to 103 kilograms. This South Korean unit can throw snow up to a distance of 15 meters. For user convenience, the handles are heated.
- "Patriot Pro 658 E" is a domestic snow blower that is equipped with a convenient panel. Due to its location, it was possible to reduce the load on the operator. An engine is built into the model with a power of 6.5 horsepower. The technique can move at six speeds forward and two back. The total weight of the structure is 88 kilograms, while the snow capture width is 560 mm and the bucket height is 510 mm. The impeller and chute are made of high quality steel. You can adjust the rotation of the gutter, turning it up to 185 degrees.
- The Champion ST656 can be praised for its compactness, thanks to which it can be maneuvered even in narrow areas. The snow capture parameter is 560/51 centimeters, where the first is the width and the second is the height. The engine has a capacity of 5.5 horsepower. The technique has two rear gears and five forward gears. It is being developed by American designers and produced in China and America.
- "MasterYard ML 7522B" is equipped with a reliable engine, which has a power of 5.5 horses. The mass of the design of the snow blower is 78 kilograms. The manufacturer tried to think over the control system in such a way that it was convenient for the operator. The metal precipitation system has a long service life. To make the equipment more maneuverable on the roads, differential design was provided in its design.
- The Huter SGC 8100C is a crawler unit that is ideally suited to carry out a large amount of work in difficult terrain. The working width is 700 mm, while the height of the bucket is 540 mm. A very powerful engine with a power of 11 horsepower is installed inside. The technique demonstrates excellent performance in difficult conditions. The fuel tank volume of 6.5 liters allows you to operate the snow blower for more time. The auger is made of a durable alloy, due to which it can remove a dense icy layer. In the basic configuration, the manufacturer provided for not only heating the handles, but also the headlights, thanks to which you can clean even at dusk.
- "DDE / ST6556L" is an ideal snow blower for a house in the country. The design has a gasoline unit of medium power of 6.5 liters. with., the weight of the structure is 80 kilograms. The width and height of the grip are 560/510 mm. The maximum distance over which snow mass is cast is 9 meters. The gutter can be turned 190 degrees if necessary. The design provides for large wheels with a wide tread, which allows you to more confidently move on a snowy track.
How to choose?
Before you buy a snowplow, you should do a detailed review of its technical parameters. Powerful and reliable units have a lot of weight, cost, they can quickly clear a large area, but in some cases it makes no sense to overpay for performance. One of the most important selection criteria is always the power of the power unit. Other technical indicators, including weight, width and grip height, also repel it. In terms of reliability, German snow blowers occupy a leading position, since they are distinguished by high-quality assembly, a clear fit of all elements in the structure.
Inexpensive equipment in the described segment demonstrates engine power of up to 3.5 horsepower.
These are inexpensive models that can be operated in a small yard. They are popular for their maneuverability, low weight, compact dimensions, which allow the unit to be used on the walkways and porch. If a large territory is provided in front of the country house, then it is better to choose a model with a capacity of up to 9 horsepower and more. As a rule, equipment of this level is used in public utilities and sports clubs in the fields.
In second place by value are the parameters for capturing snow mass. The wider and higher the snowplow bucket, the faster the equipment can clear the area. In the simplest models, the bucket width is at 300 mm and the height is 350 mm. More expensive modifications can boast up to 700 mm wide and 60 mm high.
Not bad when the design of the snow blower provides the ability to adjust the position of the snack, the height of the bucket, the angle of the gutter. It becomes more convenient to work with such opportunities. There are always additional accessories on sale. You can choose a unit with a brush so that it gently cleans the surface. In most snowplows, the fuel tank volume is 3.6 liters, but there are compact models where this parameter is 1.6 liters, as well as quite roomy expensive modifications, where the amount of fuel in the tank is 6.5 liters.
1.6 liter equipment can work without stopping for up to two hours.
When buying snowplows, special attention should be paid to the engine starting system, since the electric starter has greater reliability. There are units on which both a manual start-up system and an electronic one are installed. The first has the form of a lever, which you need to pull to start the engine. In the cold, such a starter does not differ in stable operation. Electric starter is presented in the design of the technology in question in the form of a single button. Power is supplied by a battery or a standard network. The user is required to have a nearby outlet, through which the snow blower starts.
Of the entire design of snow removal equipment, the gutter is the most vulnerable part, so it is desirable that it be made of a durable alloy. Some manufacturers use plastic to reduce the cost of production, but it is easily damaged by ice and large particles contained in the snow. In this case, the metal trough costs the buyer more, but in general, the design of snowplows is more resistant to stresses, so it pleases with durability and reliability. You can use such an aggregate more often, since the metal does not deform even when it collides with an obstacle.
Subtleties of operation
Each manufacturer gives their recommendations on the operation of the equipment, which are detailed in the attached instructions.
- The equipment under consideration has special requirements for fuel quality. Changing the oil must be done strictly through the worked hours for the engine, along with cleaning the filters.
- The control system of the equipment is located on the handle, as well as some adjustment levers, therefore it is desirable that this element is not subjected to mechanical impact.
- Small breakdowns can be avoided if timely technical inspection of equipment is carried out by specialists, and not by yourself disassembling the device. In the event of a malfunction and the need for repairs, it is best to use original spare parts and accessories, since they are machined exactly in accordance with the required dimensions.
- It is forbidden to smoke at the time of refueling equipment with gasoline.
- It is worth taking care that large objects in the form of stones, branches do not fall on the auger.
Huter sgc 4100 self-propelled petrol snow blower review see video below.