The problem of uneven and curved walls with many drops is not uncommon. You can fix such defects in various ways, however, one of the simplest and fastest is the alignment of walls using sheets of drywall. This method of adjusting the wall base can be used both in an ordinary city apartment and in a private house. Let's get acquainted with the intricacies of working with drywall, as well as examine in detail the features of the process of leveling surfaces using this material.
Many owners of private houses and apartments at least once in their life have encountered the problem of uneven walls. Such defects cause a lot of difficulties in the repair process. You can not apply many finishing materials to such floors, and they look completely unattractive.
Currently, there are many different ways to align this or that basis. One of them is laying drywall sheets. Many people turn to this method of alignment, since gypsum panels are inexpensive and easy to install.
Such popularity and demand for drywall is also due to its perfectly flat and smooth surface. Due to this feature, such a material can make even wave-like wall surfaces of a log house aesthetic and straight.
Installation of drywall plates can not be called too difficult, so any home master can handle it. The most difficult thing you will have to face is the design of a high-quality and reliable frame on which plasterboard panels will be mounted. The durability and aesthetic appearance of the leveling layer depend on this component.
Frames are made of different materials , but the most common are metal and wood structures. Metal elements must be treated with anti-corrosion agents to avoid damage over time, and wooden parts must be well-dried and undamaged (without signs of decay). Only if these requirements are observed, the resulting design will serve for many years, without giving the household the slightest problems.
If you are afraid to make a frame structure yourself, drywall can be fixed on the floors and in another way - with glue. Of course, in the case of too sharp and noticeable level differences, this installation method will not work, but it is perfectly acceptable to align the overlap with minor defects in exactly this way.
Advantages and disadvantages
Drywall is often used in leveling walls.
Both the material itself and the corresponding method of finishing the floors have many positive qualities.
- First of all, it should be noted the quick and easy installation of leveling drywall boards, especially when compared with other methods of adjusting floors.
- Drywall itself is perfectly smooth, therefore, does not require special preparation after its installation. It does not need to be puttied or sanded, which can significantly save time. Of course, putty can be applied to GKL sheets, but this process is not necessary. As a rule, they turn to him if there are noticeable seams between the gypsum panels that need to be hidden.
- Many consumers turn to wall alignment with drywall, since it is inexpensive. In terms of price, this finishing material outperforms more expensive stucco, which can also be used to eliminate bumps.
- GKL sheets on the frame can be mounted on any basis.
- When leveling the walls with drywall, you will not encounter a lot of "wet" work. Thanks to this, it is possible to work with ceilings even after the flooring is finished.
- Between drywall and the wall (in the case of a frame method of installation) there are always free cavities that can be used for laying communications. In addition, insulation is often installed in these spaces.
- Drywall is a malleable material that is very easy to work with. After the installation of gypsum sheets, you can decorate them to your liking - wallpaper, paint, decorate with a spectacular panel and other similar coatings.
- Leveling floors with plasterboard sheets is absolutely safe. GCR is recognized as an environmentally friendly material, in which there are no hazardous substances and harmful compounds, so it can be safely used in living spaces.
Due to the large number of advantages, leveling walls with drywall is incredibly popular.
Everything has its weaknesses, and this method is no exception.
- Drywall is a rather fragile material, especially when compared with reliable cement plaster. This drawback causes some difficulties during the installation of the panels, as they can be easily damaged.
- When using plasterboard coatings on the walls, problems may arise with the fastening of hinged furniture, as well as the installation of switches and sockets. Remember: heavy elements cannot be installed on such surfaces, since GCR is not designed for heavy loads.
- The rough walls in the home must be completely dry. In addition, if they turn out to be less vapor permeable than sheets of drywall, then moisture can begin to accumulate in the free cavity. Because of this, fungus or mold forms on the walls. Such defects will shorten the life of the drywall and damage its appearance.
- Drywall is not recommended for installation in rooms with a high level of humidity.
If you still plan to align the floors in such conditions, it is worthwhile to purchase not ordinary, but moisture resistant material. However, according to experts, even such drywall in a situation of high dampness and humidity is subjected to deformation.
Scope of application
Drywall sheets can align the walls in a wide variety of living spaces. This can be not only a dry living room or bedroom, but also rooms with a high level of humidity - a bathroom or a toilet.
For the last rooms, it is recommended to choose a high-quality waterproof gypsum board. This material can be used in rooms with a high level of humidity. Such substrates are an excellent solution for laying tiles on top of them.
For the kitchen, you can use moisture-proof and fireproof drywall. These varieties of gypsum plaster sheets are among the most durable and safe. They can also be glued tiles, which is often used in the design of dining rooms and kitchens.
Plasterboard sheets are optimal coatings for leveling walls in a wooden house or log house structure. Thanks to these finishing materials, you can achieve perfect symmetry of the space. However, it is worth considering that even after complete shrinkage, the walls of the tree undergo periodic expansion, absorbing moisture, then they lose it, drying out. Because of this, the highest height at which plasterboard floors can be designed should be about 6 m. If you do not take into account such features of wooden structures and simply install the frame on the walls, this will lead to cracking of the joints between the gypsum panels, even in the case of mounting grid installation.
In log homes, drywall is a real lifeline. Before proceeding with the installation of drywall, the walls in such dwellings must be treated with antiseptic compounds. Only after complete drying of these substances can we proceed to the direct installation of leveling elements. In such cases, you can use chipboard boards, and already attach drywall to them.
If the surface of the bases has a noticeable slope, then instead of linings from a chipboard, it is better to turn to the manufacture of a reliable frame.
Often, people who have adobe houses turn to leveling the walls with drywall. Similar structures are very warm. They are unique composites and are built from materials such as clay, earth, straw and sand. Of course, with such raw materials it is not necessary to talk about perfectly even walls. That is why the floors in these clay houses just need to be leveled with various materials, and drywall is ideal for such tasks.
How to align?
You can do wall alignment with drywall yourself, without involving specialists. When starting such work, it should be borne in mind that a quality installation will be the key to durability and aesthetics of the floors in the house, therefore it should be taken with all seriousness.
There are only two ways to dry align walls.
- On the frame . This option for installing gypsum boards is most often used, although it is more time-consuming due to the preparation of a quality frame. It is assembled from metal or aluminum profiles or wood.
- With glue . It is simpler to fix the drywall on the wall base with the help of special building glue.
Both mounting options can be done with your own hands. Let’s take a closer look at the step-by-step instructions that reveal all the steps of these installation methods.
With this installation method, the gypsum board sheets are fixed on a frame made of metal or wood. Most often, people use precisely metal structures, since they are unpretentious and more durable. They do not need to be regularly looked after, such as, for example, wooden products subject to rot and drying.
Frames are pre-fixed on the wall, which requires alignment. If the structure is made of wood, it is necessary to make sure that it is completely dried out and does not have any signs of decay on the surface. Otherwise, in the process of moisture exit from the material, the entire structure may become deformed, as well as lose its external attractiveness.
When installed on a wooden frame, noticeable gaps may remain between the drywall sheets. In order not to encounter this problem, experienced specialists recommend using a metal profile, which does not lead to such defects.
To create a quality frame, you need to use rack and guide profiles. The latter are necessary to determine the contour of the resulting structure. To do this, they need to be attached to the ceiling and the floor (parallel to each other). As a rule, first fix the parts on the ceiling, and then with the help of a plumb line they measure the place for the sexual profile. After that, the guides are connected to each other by rack elements, which should be mounted on self-tapping screws. Do not forget to maintain a distance of 40-60 cm between them.
In order for the frame to be more durable and wear-resistant, it is possible to additionally install suspensions in the design, and already mount rack profiles on them. Maintain between them a step of 30-50 cm.
In addition, it is very important to determine what load the leveling floor will be designed for. Areas where it will be noticeable, it is recommended to strengthen with hard boards or plywood. These elements can be installed in the cavity between the drywall and the rough floor.
Installing drywall on the finished frame is quite easy. GCR must be attached to the structure using rough screws. Similar fasteners are made of special oxidized metal. Their number directly depends on the size of the drywall sheet. For example, for a standard blade with dimensions of 2.5x1.2 m, about 100 self-tapping screws will be needed.
When screwing in screws, be extremely careful and careful , otherwise you risk spoiling the drywall, damaging it. Hats should always be lightly sunk into the drywall itself, but do not push too hard.
Thanks to the frame installation method, it is possible to insulate the room, if necessary. In the cavity remaining between the wall and drywall, it will be possible to place a warming layer. Most often, consumers opt for this popular mineral wool or glass wool. However, it should be borne in mind that all components should be as close to each other as possible so that there are no gaps between the mats. Such materials are not only warm, but also soundproof.
On the finished drywall base, various flaws may be present, so you should carefully examine it. Most often, on such walls, self-tapping hats remain noticeable.
The last step in creating frame even walls is to putty them. It is especially important to putty on areas where self-tapping hats and ugly joints between sheets of drywall remain.
Before you start puttying the joints, you need to stick on them a special mesh tape - a sickle. This part is necessary for a better and more reliable adhesion of putty with drywall. After applying the sickle, the surface of the sheets is covered with soil, and then putty. Thus, the tape is pressed into the first layer of finish, and then another layer of the mixture is applied to it.
If it is planned to apply tiles on a finished and even wall, you can not putty it. However, if it is planned to decorate the wall with wallpaper or paint, it is better not to neglect puttying.
Frameless installation of drywall leveling sheets is simpler. It is ideal for beginners who do not have enough experience in such work.
With this installation, drywall sheets are fixed to a special glue. Such an adhesive is quite common and is found in many construction stores.
Before proceeding with the installation of drywall on the walls, they must be prepared. First you need to free the rough base from the old finishing material, as well as dust and dirt. After that, you should measure the evenness of the floors. If this indicator is in the range of 4-7 mm, then the adhesive composition must be smeared over the entire area of the drywall, smearing with a notched trowel. After that, the sheets can be glued to the base. If the curvature of the walls reaches 20 mm, the glue must be applied in sections in separate portions. In this case, it is necessary to withstand small intervals.
However, there are cases when the curvature of the walls exceeds the figure of 20 mm. In such cases, the ceilings must first be leveled with plaster, and only then glued drywall panels.
When you have removed the old finishing materials and dirt from the ceilings, they must be properly primed. Keep in mind that when combining surface plastering with both dry and wet methods, you need to start with wet processing, and after it has completely dried, go to dry.
Then it is necessary to prepare the adhesive composition for work. How to dilute it, as a rule, is indicated on the package. Try to strictly adhere to the instructions provided, otherwise the composition may lose useful properties and become useless. Properly prepared glue should have a thick consistency similar to cottage cheese. Do not immediately knead a large volume, as the mixture will finally dry in half an hour, and then you will not be able to use it.
Experts recommend installing lighthouses on draft walls - so the sheets of drywall will be in a perfectly flat plane. Of course, the alignment of the walls can be done without the use of beacons, but such work will be more time-consuming.
A simple algorithm by which leveling of gypsum plasterboard overlaps occurs in a frameless method.
- At the places where it is planned to stick GKL sheet, it is necessary to apply pre-prepared glue.
- Then the gypsum plasterboard should be deployed with the back side and put on it a portion of glue, maintaining small intervals. Most often, the adhesive is laid out only around the perimeter of the plate, but for greater reliability, several glue spots should be applied in the middle of the sheet.
- Now the drywall should be lifted and gently pressed against the wall. Do not press on the material too much, otherwise you risk breaking it.
- Using a hammer with a rubber hammer and a building level, level the sheet and press it to the base.
- The remaining drywall sheets should be attached to the base according to a similar principle. However, do not forget about checking the joints between the parts.
Based on this algorithm, we can conclude: frameless wall alignment is quite simple, although many experts say that it is more difficult than frame. The choice of the optimal installation method remains only with the owners of the home.
The frameless version can be accessed only in cases where the ceiling height in the room does not exceed the height of the drywall sheet, otherwise horizontal joints between the sheets will be unacceptable.
If you are determined to align the walls on your own, you should rely on some advice from experienced craftsmen.
- Pay attention to the quality of the purchased materials. Do not look in stores for too cheap products, as they may be of poor quality. High-quality designs will cost more, but they will serve faithfully for many years without bringing problems.
- Select drywall in accordance with the conditions in which it will be located. In rooms with high humidity (bathroom, kitchen, toilet), special moisture-resistant panels should be installed. Regular sheets are cheaper, but in such conditions they quickly deform and collapse.
- If the frameless installation method is chosen, care must be taken in advance to select the appropriate glue. The reliability and durability of the resulting finish will depend on the quality of the adhesive mixture. It is necessary to breed this structure, carefully following the instructions on the package.
- Make sure that during installation, the joints between the sheets of drywall passed strictly in the middle of the vertical profile.
When sealing joints and joints, do not use too much putty, since its excess can significantly spoil the impression of the work done.
- Despite the fact that the frame method of installing drywall does not provide for special preparation of rough floors, they should still be treated with soil with antiseptic components in the composition.
- After installation on the drywall sheets, bulging caps from self-tapping screws often remain. It will be most convenient to putty them with a narrow spatula.
- When fixing drywall sheets with glue, the drying time should be taken into account. As a rule, this takes 30-40 minutes (depending on the composition of the glue).
- When installing drywall on the frame, try to leave distances not exceeding 30 cm between the screws. The ideal distance between the two fasteners is 12-20 cm.
- During installation between the floor and the sheet, as well as the ceiling and drywall, it is recommended to lay special gaskets with a thickness of 10-15 mm. They are necessary so that GCR can expand freely if the temperature or humidity level changes in the room.
For the secrets of installing drywall, see the next video.