Among garden ornamental plants, peonies are especially common. They adorn the cottages and courtyards of private houses. It is not surprising that these flowers are popular among amateur gardeners. Peonies are able to endure any bad weather, and caring for them is not a big deal. These plants are distinguished by their luxurious contrasting colors and pleasant aroma. In the world there are many varieties of this species, of which peonies of the variety "Sarah Bernhardt" stand out.
Peonies "Sarah Bernhardt" belong to herbaceous plants and play a decorative role. Differ from the rest in the late flowering period. This usually happens when other varieties of peonies stop flowering. If you properly care for this variety, you can significantly extend the flowering period . In this case, it can last up to one and a half months. The stems of peonies are distinguished by their stability, which helps to firmly fix the buds on them.
A garter for such peonies is optional, but if you live in a region where frequent gusts of wind are a feature of the climate, it is best to install special supports for the plant.
Brief description of the variety "Sarah Bernhardt."
- Inflorescences of plants are quite large and in diameter can reach 20 centimeters.
- Petals of this variety have a characteristic color - pale pink. The edging of the petals is painted in silver. But progress does not stand still, and breeders do not cease to amaze with the huge variety of colors of these beautiful flowers. Today you can find lilac, pale white, yellow peonies.
- Openwork leaflets are painted green. A characteristic difference from other varieties of peonies is that with the onset of autumn the leaves of this variety do not turn yellow, as usually happens, but become purple. Thanks to such an interesting color scheme, peonies attract attention even with the onset of cold weather and are the main decoration of the garden.
- Peonies "Sarah Bernhardt" are considered very photophilous plants. In the shade, they develop much more slowly.
- There is a tendency to quite lush flowering.
- In order for peonies to be able to overwinter normally, it is best to use an additional protective coating that will allow you to keep warm near the plant.
In the world there are a huge number of varieties of peonies. Among the varieties "Sarah Bernhardt", breeders bred the following popular species.
- "Red Sarah Bernhardt . " A distinctive feature of this variety is a persistent and pleasant aroma. The buds palette is quite saturated, you can often find pale pink, purple and saturated red shades of inflorescences. Refers to terry representatives of plants. Adult plants grow to an average of 80 centimeters. In diameter, peony buds can be 15 centimeters. Openwork leaves are densely located on the stem and have a dark green color. In landscape design, it is impossible to do without this variety of peonies. They are also often used as the main decorative element in floristry. Red peonies are distinguished by their ability to tolerate low temperatures normally. Very resistant to various diseases.
- "White Sarah Bernhardt." Often this variety of peonies can be found at an event such as a wedding; they decorate halls and decorative compositions. The plant buds are painted in a delicate snow-white shade. The shape of the petals is rounded, their edges are painted silver. Leaves have a juicy green color. The flowers are unpretentious in care, like soil rich in nutrients.
- "Sarah Bernhard Unique." The flowers of this variety of peonies are painted in delicate shades. Inflorescences of pale pink color, which plays with overflows in the sun, are often found. Rapid flowering occurs at the beginning of the summer season. Florists often use such peonies in their work. Flowers will look beautiful both in a large flower bed, among many other representatives of the flora, and in a single planting. In care, like many representatives of this species, it is not picky.
How to plant?
Like many other plants, Sarah Bernhardt peonies require an individual approach to planting. This process will not take you much time and effort. There are a number of mandatory rules when planting a plant.
- The process of planting peonies is best done in late summer or early fall season.
- The plant prefers soil saturated with clay and sand, the reaction of which should be slightly acidic. If the place for planting is inherent in loose soil, it is best to add organic matter to it. For this purpose, humus is perfect. Clay soil is usually mixed with river sand. Swampy areas are strongly discouraged from planting. Excessive moisture levels can lead to stagnation of water, which will negatively affect the root system of the peony.
- When choosing a site, one should take into account the fact that peonies are very fond of light, therefore, the place should be well lit. A slight shadow on the site is only welcome. This will become a protective barrier for leaves from the scorching sun in the middle of the day. Completely shaded areas are considered unsuitable for growing a plant, since without sunlight the plant cannot develop normally.
- For group plantings, it is necessary to observe a certain distance between plants - at least 100 centimeters. This condition is explained by the branching of the plant in adulthood.
- Before planting, it is necessary to prepare the soil. Due to the sufficiently powerful rhizome, it is recommended to make indented holes. With a thin layer, drainage should be laid out at the very bottom, and organic fertilizer should be placed on top. The mixture can be prepared from loam, compost, and as an additional element to use wood ash in small quantities. If the soil has an oxidized environment, it is best to add a small amount of potash to it. Fertilizers for flowering plants are also introduced, which can be prepared independently or purchased in a specialized store.
- Landing. Peony bushes are placed in the hole. The kidneys are recommended to be deepened into the ground by about five centimeters. After this, the hole is covered with earth. At the next stage, the plant must be watered.
- If desired, you can mulch the soil around the peony. This will help the plant tolerate the winter season well.
How to care?
In the care of peonies is a very unpretentious plant. All that is needed is to perform basic actions:
- loosening the soil;
This set of rules is basic for all peonies, and if you adhere to it, the plant will grow beautiful and healthy.
“Sarah Bernhardt” peonies require an individual approach in such procedures as top dressing and watering.
The key to success in the cultivation of this variety of peony is the right soil. In such conditions, the first few years, the plants do not require fertilizing at all. After 1-2 years, it is necessary to fertilize the stands three times.
In the middle of the summer season, flowers can be fed using bird droppings. Also often fertilize the plant with mullein. Three liters will be enough for one peony bush.
With the onset of autumn, it is necessary to carry out the feeding process again. All that is needed is water and superphosphate. Water must be stagnant. A spoonful of mineral fertilizer will be enough for one bucket. One plant requires the same amount.
In spring, the fertilizer process involves mulching the soil around the shrubbery. For this, any mulch is suitable, and wood ash can be an additional component.
Excessive hydration of the peony is useless. Even during a period of rapid growth and development, it will be enough to water once a week. This also applies to the flowering period. Then the flowers can be moistened even less often. But watering should be plentiful. One shrub requires 3 buckets of water for one irrigation. Evening time is ideal for the implementation of this process. After each watering, it is recommended to loosen the soil near the bushes.
It is important to know that wilted buds must be removed on their own. Otherwise, they can lead to fungal diseases. Mature shrubs do not need to be covered during the cold season.
If you decide to breed peonies of this variety, then it is best to resort to the method, which is to divide the rhizomes. At the end of summer, bushes are dug up and the roots are divided using a shovel, after which they are placed in the soil.
Some gardeners acquire seeds and use them to grow this crop. With this method, flowers tend to grow very slowly. But there are several secrets that accelerate this process. It is best to collect seeds from your own flowers in an unripe form. In order to avoid drying out, it is better not to hesitate with the sowing process. You can also place the seeds in a small container and cover with raw sand, then put them in the refrigerator. The storage period should not exceed one and a half months.
In open ground, seeds are best placed in mid or late August. They must be buried in the ground no more than five centimeters. Breeding peonies using seeds is divided into two stages. From the very beginning, seedlings need warmth, a temperature within + 18–28 degrees is ideal. At the second stage, the temperature should gradually decrease, an indicator from 5 to 10 degrees of heat is ideal. The duration of the second stage is 2 months.
Diseases and Pests
As mentioned earlier, peonies of the variety "Sarah Bernhardt" are very resistant to various types of diseases. But still there are pests that pose a particular danger to the plant.
- Gray rot. This disease is one of the most common among peonies. Young plants are most susceptible to the disease. The onset of the disease is accompanied by symptoms such as leaf coating. For prevention, it is recommended to treat the plant with a special mixture. Three liters of the required solution is considered the norm for one shrub. You can also make special tinctures at home and spray them with peonies.
- Rust. This disease greatly affects the appearance of the plant, significantly worsening it. Signs of infection are observed when brownish spots appear on green leaves. The appearance of this disease is affected by the seating method: if it is too thickened, then the likelihood of infection increases. The appearance of rust is also affected by adverse weather conditions. In order for this disease to bypass your plant, you must adhere to two basic rules. Firstly, it is recommended to keep a certain distance during group landing (at least one meter). Secondly, you can not carry out watering in wet weather.
- Mosaic. The characteristic signs of the disease are the appearance of streaks on the leaves of the plant. Usually they have a yellow or light green hue. It is impossible to cure this disease, therefore, with complete infection, it is recommended to remove the plant as quickly as possible so as not to spoil the rest of the plantings on the site, and then burn it.
It is impossible not to notice that on the Internet there are extremely positive reviews about the variety of peonies "Sarah Bernhardt." These flowers are the favorites of both professional gardeners and amateurs.
They are loved for their luxurious appearance, large buds, wonderful aroma. They also note the colors of the traditional variety, which is very fond of gardeners.
The most popular varieties are Red Sarah Bernhardt and White Sarah Bernhardt. People really like their rich colors.
Comments are often made towards the difficult propagation of shrubs. But basically, such a problem arises among novice gardeners.
Peonies among florists and landscape designers are especially delighted. In their craft, it is almost impossible to do without these beautiful flowers.
Peonies "Sarah Bernhardt" - a sophisticated and elegant plants that can give liveliness to any site. The huge advantage of plants is that they are considered perennial and perfectly adapt to any weather. Following all the rules, you can grow a beautiful flower that will delight you and guests at home with its splendor.
Flower review - in the next video