In the field of interior design, the interior arch occupies a special place. Replacing a familiar doorway, it can not only attract attention, but also become the main detail of the interior. The use of a beautiful arch in design is not a rarity for a long time, with its help the interior acquires elegance and nobility.
Depending on the interior design, you can choose an arch in shape and design. Undergoing stylistic transformations in various design areas, the arch itself has always remained the main alternative to interior doors. With the help of the arch, openings are made not only in living rooms, but also in office and many other rooms.
Types and forms
Consider the types of interior arches:
- Classic The classic opening is a semicircle whose radius is 1/2 of its width. This form is the embodiment of strict elegance and purity of lines. The construction of this arch is possible only in a room with ceilings from 3 meters and above.
There is a version that the semicircle is a distinctive feature of the oriental and antique style, capable of giving weight to the interior.
- Arch portal. This is a rectangular opening without doors, it does not require additional labor costs during installation, but it is not suitable for every room. This form fits perfectly into a simple, simple interior with linear decor. All the effectiveness of the result depends on the materials selected for decoration.
One of the most spectacular examples is a portal made of wood with backlighting along the arch.
- Modern . This form is a cross between a classic and a portal. The arch of the arch is less round, but far from straight, its upper part is presented as a segment of a circle. The rounding radius can be any, the basic requirement is that it does not exceed half the width of the portal itself.
Art Nouveau is suitable for opening openings in rooms with low ceilings, for example, in apartments of standard high-rise buildings. The design gives the room an elegant, discreet look.
- Ellipse This form differs from the previous one only in a large radius of curvature of the corners. The elliptical model is the most universal, it successfully fits absolutely into any interior design and is appropriate for any ceiling height. The height and shape of the bend depends only on your wishes and the initial data of the room. Also an elliptical arch is ideal in combination with columns.
- Romance The romantic design is a rectangular arch, rounded at the edges. It is ideal for decorating wide openings, as well as rooms with low ceilings. This form will look equally impressive both in a small, modest room, and in a spacious, made in a palace style.
- Trapezoid . A very non-standard solution to the design of the doorway in the form of a trapezoidal arch is guaranteed to add exotic to your room. Proper presentation with the help of correctly selected interior items, harmoniously combined with the shape and material of the arch, will cause genuine interest and delight. This arch is simple in execution and no less spectacular than rounded openings.
- The halfark . The semi-park is an example of asymmetric openings combining 2 forms at the same time. For example, it can be a portal and romance, a portal and a classic, a portal and an ellipse. The design of this form is based on a quarter circle. Asymmetry will help to hide errors in the calculations, if they occurred during installation.
In addition, the non-standard form will decorate the doorway, add sophistication to the room and allow you to realize any original idea.
- Copyright . Thanks to a wide range of finishing materials, the arch can be made absolutely any shape and bend. This solution is for those who want to make their home unique.
Non-standard arches can have broken lines, combine several styles at the same time at the same time, complemented by windows, lights and other details.
- Construction features. During the construction of a private house, archways are designed and built initially, while in apartment buildings, the presence of arches is more an exception than a rule. It should be remembered that the arch is a curvilinear overlap between the supports and has a functional value: it carries the load of the wall.
When replanning an apartment with the introduction of arches, their location is absolutely appropriate in the interior walls, if they are not bearing.
- Arches in the bearing walls. There is a jumper directly above the door frame, if the wall is bearing, then you cannot remove the jumper, this can lead to unpredictable consequences. In the supporting wall, the arch can be only in height and width of the doorway. In this case, the opening height cannot be increased, you can only expand it.
- Arches in a panel house. The same applies to using an arch instead of a door in a panel house. The doorways in the panels are recesses made in accordance with GOST and it is not recommended to violate the integrity of the panel.
In these two cases, arches of a romantic style with a small radius of curvature of the corners, ellipsoidal or portal are made.
- Arched doorway in a solid wall. Removing a doorway into an arch is not difficult, but punching a passage in a solid wall where it has never been before is a very laborious process. It is much easier to completely remove the partition wall and build a new one with an opening.
The design of the arch and its design
The device directly depends on what tasks this design will perform:
Zoning of rooms when dividing rooms
The interior arch is an elegant and stylish zoning solution with an open plan. It divides the dwelling into functional zones and is used if there is a need to visually divide the space. Arches, custom-made or finished, are designed to indicate the boundaries of two or more zones, but do not separate them, but visually combine them, thereby expanding the space.
Some rooms can easily do without classic doors and only win if you replace them with an arched opening. Usually this is the kitchen and dining room, dining room and living room, living room and hallway, bedroom and living room. When combined, the space expands, leaving a feeling of isolation.
Bright accent in the overall design of the space
If you are the owner of a strict and concise interior in a classic style or, conversely, furnished a dwelling in the Empire style, but you lack an unusual detail that can attract all your attention and amaze with luxury, the arch will help in this.
It should be rich, decorated with elegant stucco moldings with floral ornaments, going along an arc. If the arch is tall, classical, it is better to order full-fledged columns of the Corinthian order, the most luxurious and magnificent. The Corinthian column is decorated with carved flutes in height. Its graceful capital with carved grape leaves and curls will become the most significant element in the interior.
For arches of a lower profile, romance, ellipse, Art Nouveau and even semi-arches, the columns of the simplest and no-frills Doric order will become a good choice. Its discreet architecture will nevertheless create an antique accent indoors.
Desiring to give the opening a major role in the decoration of rooms, it is distinguished by the contrast of color or material, decorating with colored mosaics and enamel.
If your room has ugly ceiling beams or ventilation pipes, they can be sheathed with drywall and an arch of a non-standard shape can be completed. In addition, old houses often have to mask the irregularities of ceilings and walls.
By hiding construction defects under the arch, you will not only eliminate the imperfection of your interior, but also with the help of a non-standard beautiful design give it a new sound.
If the arch is installed in the load-bearing wall, its panels are quite wide, they make indentations that are used as bookshelves, as well as niches for decor. In round arches with great depth, they make indentations, set poufs and organize places for rest.
Near the arch itself, a group of through windows is often built in, which increases the passage of light between rooms. The windows can be decorated with stained glass motifs or be through and serve as shelves for souvenirs and jewelry.
Parameters of arches directly depend on the architectural specifics of the room. Width is limited by the owner’s preference; only the ceiling level determines the height. In a room 2.5-3.2 m high, an arch fits perfectly with dimensions up to 2.2-2.6 m, respectively. However, these figures are relative. It’s not worth it to adjust the arch arch to the very ceiling, this will ruin the whole view.
A small opening in a large, wide wall will create dissonance, therefore it is important to carefully measure the room and calculate the parameters of the future arch. It should organically fit into the interior.
In the manufacture of arch structures, the following materials are used:
- Brick To make a brick arch, it is necessary to mount the frame from the reinforcement, drill holes in the wall and, driving in the metal pins, weld the frame to them. The whole process is very time-consuming and the design at the output is heavy, therefore the “brick-like” finish made of various types of artificial facing stone is very popular.
- Drywall . This material is versatile and pliable for the construction of rounded arches. The construction of any interior solutions from drywall is quick and easy to perform. The weight of such structures is small and will not give additional load on the wall. In addition, this is a good solution for one-room apartments, in which there is not enough space for installing doors.
- A tree . Often, when choosing a material for the design of the arched opening, they choose wood. Designs made from this noble material will add status to your interior. The openings made of wood are very beautiful and durable.
Arches made of solid oak are a luxurious pleasure that can be done with your own hands, with a minimum skill in working with this beautiful material.
- Laminated MDF. This material has rightfully gained wide circulation and has received recognition from the consumer because of its low cost, a variety of textures and colors, attractive appearance. Also, laminated MDF is very practical and versatile. With its help, you can assemble complex designs, as well as order typical models. In addition, the ability to order products that are non-standard in size and configuration makes this material particularly attractive.
- Veneered MDF and eco-veneer. Veneered MDF arch looks stylish and expensive, as the material most accurately conveys the texture and shades of solid wood. It is made of MDF and veneered with oak veneer. Possible shades: wenge, bleached oak, walnut, oak with a patina, ivory. Eco-veneered arches are also beautiful in appearance and have high performance.
- Polyurethane Polyurethane is an elastic polymer that is widely used in decoration and construction. With high strength and resistance to external influences, it is durable, and most importantly, has a very low cost. This polymer allows you to make products from it with the maximum complexity of parts, and in decorating arches, it successfully replaces gypsum.
- Plastic Plastic products are very popular and allow you to repeat non-standard forms of arches, which cannot be made of wood without high costs. Plastic panels carry not only a decorative function, but also a functional one. They protect the edges of the opening from damage and have moisture resistance, durability and fire resistance. Plastic, unlike other finishing materials, is melted, not burned.
- Tile Very spectacular simple arched opening of a classical form without any details, tiled. Especially effective is the tile that imitates the surface and texture of the stone. Its advantages: low cost, a wide range of colors, moisture resistance and durability.
This is not all the possible materials for the manufacture and design of arches, but the most common and spectacular.
How to make an arch do it yourself?
To make an arch with your own hands, you need to have a basic skill in working with building materials, choose an easy-to-install material and get competent instruction. Let's look at a simple and convenient way to build an arch in your home.
We will need:
- Drywall of 2 types. For walls 12 mm thick and for arch arch - 6 mm.
- Profile for racks 60x27 mm, and for the contour of the arch 28x27 mm.
- Self-tapping screws and a screwdriver.
- Fiberglass mesh.
Stages of work:
- First you need to measure the opening into which the arch will be built. The standard height of the doors is 2 m, to build the arch we need to raise the height of the arch to 2.5 m by removing part of the wall above the opening.
- Many types of arches significantly reduce the opening, so in some cases it needs to be slightly expanded. In advance, we select the shape of the arch, which organically fits into the parameters of the room.
- To do this, we attach paper over the door, on which we outline the height and bend of the arch. If the width is more than 120 cm, it will be better to make a small bend, choosing the modern form, with its small radius of curvature. If the width of the opening is greater, then it will be more correct to choose a romantic shape, it does not require raising the height and rounding its corners will be enough to design an arched opening.
- After measuring the parameters of the opening and calculating the length of the radius, draw a semicircle on a drywall using a compass and cut it out with a jigsaw.
- Then we build a frame from a bar or a metal profile.
- We assemble a rectangular opening from the rack profile.
- We sheathe the structure with drywall with a carved circle using self-tapping screws, slightly lowering their caps in the surface.
- On the walls of the arch profile we make cuts with scissors for metal every 3 cm. Then we fasten the profile along the arch arch to the screws, bending it in the shape of a semicircle. You need to do this from both ends.
- Next, make the vault jumpers. We measure the depth of the arch and subtract 1.5-2 cm. This will be the length of the jumpers.
- We cut them from the profile and put them on the screws. Jumpers are necessary for the strength and stability of the structure.
- From a thin drywall, you need to cut out a part that will close the arch from below. This is a rectangle whose width is the length from one edge of the end to the other, that is, the depth of the arch.
- We measure the length using a tape measure or sewing measuring tape, from one bottom point of the arch to another.
- We also fasten the resulting sheet to self-tapping screws.
- Joints should be glued with fiberglass mesh. The edges of the joints of panels and arch canvases are connected with a plastic perforated profile.
- Putty irregularities, caps, screws and joints of drywall sheets, first with a thick layer of putty, then we pass the entire surface of the finish.
- After drying, the putty is sanded with sandpaper.
Only the finishing work remained. For decoration, you can choose decorative plaster, artificial stone, propylene decor or plastic cladding.
The construction of the arch is available to absolutely any customer, regardless of its wealth. Currently, not only ready-made arches of individual sizes are available for order, but also prefabricated ones. Also, thanks to a wide range of materials and shapes, the arch can be made with your own hands.
How to make a drywall arch with your own hands, see the next video.
Interior arches in the interior
- For rooms with low ceilings, a good solution would be to choose a wide semicircular arch of a romantic style or modern. Ideally, if it will be placed from wall to wall, without columns and racks.
- On the contrary, in an interior with high ceilings, arches of a classical form are installed or with a domed, lancet shape tending upwards to emphasize the amount of "air" in the room.
- If you have a long, narrow corridor, along its entire length at regular intervals you can fit in arches, creating a beautiful enfilade. The vaults in this case should be made classic, devoid of details and decor. This simplification will help not to load the already narrow space.
- Urbanism and the daring charm of a loft-style room will be emphasized by a zoned partition with an arch made of brick. It can be used to separate the kitchen and living areas by integrating a bar counter into it. The width of such an arch can be large, while the arch is best done in the Art Nouveau style, this form perfectly emphasizes the severity and conciseness of the deliberately industrial interior.
- The apertures between the living room and the hall in the dwelling, furnished with natural wood furniture, will be better decorated with elements of solid wood, tinted to the color of the decor. The shape and height must be selected based on the overall style of the room and its size.
- If you have a glazed balcony or loggia, replacing the balcony group with a beautiful arch, you will expand the kitchen space. In this case, it will be appropriate to replace the window sill with a small tabletop or, having lifted it, to integrate a bar counter, such an arch will have a utilitarian function. The kitchen, enlarged due to the connected territory of the balcony, will acquire an exotic and cozy look.
- An arch in the corridor of a one-room apartment is an ideal solution for a visual increase in space without changing the area. Unfortunately, halls in apartments of high-rise buildings do not differ in large area and convenient parameters. Replacing the door from the hallway to the corridor, living room or hall and combining these locations, you will save yourself from cramped and inconvenience and get a wonderful interior element that ennobles absolutely any room.
- By installing spotlights in the hallway arch, you add light to a dark room and add a touch of mystery and romance to it.