In the modern world you will not surprise anyone with stretch ceilings. Although some five years ago, such a coating was considered outlandish. Due to the fact that many began to install such ceilings in their homes, the question of their maintenance has become very relevant. And the most important question is lighting. Which bulbs to choose, which ones to put, which not, and most importantly - how to change them?
The beauty of stretch ceilings gives not only a brilliant gloss or strict dullness, but also luxurious illumination. The most popular option for giving the ceiling a beautiful flicker is spotlights. Their number is thought out in advance, laid out in an interesting pattern or geometric figure. To create such beauty on your ceiling, you must know the rules for installing lamps.
The market is replete with an abundance of products offered. You can find lamps for every taste and budget. Consider the most popular options.
- LED bulbs. Meet most often. For installation in spotlights - this is what you need.
- Halogen bulbs. Ideal for rooms that require a lot of light.
If we want the lamp to be installed correctly, then no less important information for us is the mount. In the traditional version, you will deal with carvings. No one should have a problem with this mount. Another popular view today involves a mount that locks when turning ninety degrees.
How to replace the lamp?
For starters, you should turn off the apartment. Do not forget about safety rules. Then under look for a surface on which you can stand firmly to reach the ceiling, it can be a table, chair or stepladder. The fabric used in the manufacture of the stretch ceiling is very delicate, be careful with it so as not to damage it.
- We remove the mount, so we unlock the lamp. It is also necessary to remove the locking ring.
- Slowly unscrew the old light bulb. The indicators of the new lamp (size, power) should not differ from the previous ones, so study the old bulb well.
- When the lamp is replaced, insert the retaining ring back and fasten it.
If there is not enough light in the room, and the ceiling is designed for the installation of diode lamps, cheat: replace the yellow lamp with a white one. Power consumption will not change, and the brightness will increase markedly.
In one room it is better to use lamps of the same model. It will look harmonious and the effect will be higher. If you can’t find the same lamp as the others, it’s best to replace everything. And immediately take three or four lamps more so that there is something to replace them if necessary.
Correct handling during installation will help extend lamp life. When screwing in the lamp, use a dry cloth or gloves. We already said that the stretch ceiling is very delicate, so you should not buy too powerful a lamp so as not to damage it.
The arrangement of all lamps for such ceilings is almost the same. The main element - the body, is needed to hold the wires and hold the cartridge. For reliable fixation of the housing using special clamps. A glass or plastic cover protects the above structure. The last element is a fixing clip.
Sharp voltage drops are a common cause of damage to devices, in particular lighting, in order to avoid this, install voltage stabilizers.
Halogen lamps are slightly more difficult to change than LED ones.
These bulbs have many advantages:
- From them comes a soft and pleasant light that is well perceived by man.
- They will last you no more than five years, but compared with a conventional lamp, this is an impressive period.
As with the LED lamp, you must first de-energize the apartment. Then, reaching the lamp, carefully remove the mount. Carefully unscrew the bulb from the cartridge and screw in a new one, then put the mount back in place, fixing it.
Dismantling the chandelier
We already know the procedure: turning off all the electricity in the apartment. Further, if the chandelier is on a hook, remove the cap and feel for the hook itself. Grasp the chandelier firmly and remove it with mount and wiring. Separate the wires, before removing the insulation.
If you have a chandelier with a cross-shaped plank, then dismantling will be a little more difficult. Remove everything from the lamp: shades, lamps, etc. The mounting system is located under the hood. Now, together with the mounting structure, pull out the chandelier by unscrewing the screws and disconnecting the suspensions.
Further, as in the first case, we release the wire from insulation. If the chandelier is large and heavy, be sure to ask someone to help you.
- If a halogen bulb is supposed to be used in a spotlight, then its power should be no more than 30 watts.
- The rule of placement of a lamp with halogen incandescent lamps: it is impossible that the distance from the lamp housing to the ceiling is less than ten centimeters.
- LED lights are absolutely safe for stretch ceilings.
- Pay attention to the coating material. If the ceiling is strict, matte, then the lighting can be selected in a traditional style. But if the ceiling is glossy, it should be remembered that the lamps in it, like in a mirror, will be reflected, they will seem to be twice as many, and, accordingly, there will be more light.
- It is better not to use chandeliers with a large horizontal plane for suspended ceilings.
- It is better not to put a xenon bulb, however, options with a heating temperature of no more than 60 degrees are allowed.
- When installing the ceiling, you should immediately think about how many fixtures you want to put, because then it will be impossible to do so. Opt for several fixtures, such a composition looks very nice on stretch ceilings, so feel free to embody all your most interesting ideas.
- It is undesirable to use chandeliers, the heat from which can greatly heat the ceiling. This applies primarily to incandescent lamps and halogen sources. Ceiling lights with metal housings can simply melt the ceiling if they are mentioned lamps. If you want to use them, then you should step back at least 10-15 cm from the ceiling. Diode lamps or energy-saving ones are the best choice, since they hardly heat up.
- It is not possible to add fixtures to the ready-made ceiling, since each of them requires a special part - a mortgage, which is installed at the stage of ceiling installation.
- If the room is not light enough, then you can revise the power of the lamps used and replace them with stronger ones. Or use additional floor lamps and sconces.
- It is very difficult to replace one lamp with another in an already mounted ceiling. The lamp is mounted using a mortgage, most likely wooden. It is made precisely of the sizes and shapes that are needed for a particular lamp. Further, where the chandelier is attached, the film is cut to expose the wiring for the chandelier through this hole.
For each lamp in the ceiling there is a hole in which you can install only a specific lamp, so changing the size of the lamps along the way will not work. You’ll have to either buy the exact same or almost the same one to fit in exactly the same way and be the same size. But it may well be a different color or with other decorative elements.
- Also a good choice for a stretch ceiling is an LED strip. It practically does not heat up, it is very economical in terms of energy consumption. It has good performance. It looks very stylish, especially if you have a multi-level ceiling.
- With the help of light, the ceiling can be visually made higher or lower. If you place the lights around the perimeter on the walls, and direct them to the ceiling, it will seem higher. If the lamps located on the ceiling are directed to the walls, the ceiling will appear lower.
- To make the room seem longer, place the lamps one after another. If you concentrate the light on only one wall, the room will appear wider.
- It is very convenient to divide the room into zones with spotlights and LED strips. This allows you to save energy, as you can turn on the light only in the area in which you are currently.
- To get a light bulb in the spot and change it, you must first unscrew the pill. This way you can quickly take out the spotlight.
See how to change a light bulb in a stretch ceiling in the next video.