Changing the plan of a 4-room apartment in a panel house is the imperative of the time. The architects and developers who planned the Soviet panel high-rise buildings seemed to foresee that the Russians would massively change the initial layout.
The layout of the 4-room Khrushchev includes the following premises:
- two bedrooms located in the farthest zone;
- the third room is a living room, which is a passage for these bedrooms;
- the fourth room is another bedroom located next to the kitchen;
- kitchen, bathroom and toilet are located next to the entrance hall, close to the entrance;
- at the end of the hallway next to the living room there is a wardrobe compartment.
The next historically later version of a multi-storey building - a panel 9-storey building, "Brezhnevka" - has some differences from the "Khrushchev". Bedrooms and living rooms, kitchen and bathroom are located approximately the same as in the 4-room "Khrushchev", but differ in size. Higher ceilings - 2.7 m (compared to 2.45-2.5 m in the "Khrushchev"), the presence of an elevator and a garbage chute made the life of the population more comfortable.
Over the past few years, a renovation program has been implemented in St. Petersburg and Moscow - the old Khrushchev’s, many of which are considered emergency, are subject to resettlement and dismantling . Instead, construction companies, by decree of the federal and local authorities, will erect new buildings in which the area of the rooms grows slightly. Kitchens, bathrooms and corridors (including hallways) will become noticeably larger.
All modern conveniences - from the elevator to energy-efficient life-support systems, are substantially modified in these houses.
Brick "Khrushchev" and "Brezhnevka", regardless of the number of rooms in the apartments, have less blowing power and improved sound insulation.
What to consider when planning?
If you intend to change the layout of a 4-room apartment in Brezhnevka or Khrushchev already formed by the builders, keep in mind the following.
- Not all partitions can be demolished. All of them are made of thin reinforced concrete (or of simple concrete floors) - even a partition thickness of 7-10 cm (compared to 40-50 cm outside) gives a significant propping up of interfloor ceilings. The fact is that the total area of a 4-room apartment sometimes reaches 72 square meters. m, which compared with 31 "squares" in "odnushka" - the difference is more than a couple of times. The laws of physics have not been canceled: interfloor ceilings are the same in terms of characteristics. Large spans between the bearing (external, interroom) walls, devoid of additional support, increase the chances of deflection of horizontal slabs. And those, in turn, are the floor and ceiling at the same time on all floors, except the first and last. Therefore, any demolition of partitions (partitions) can not be carried out without permission from the housing and other utilities. Remaking "quietly" will lead not only to a fine when trying to sell a redeveloped apartment, but also increase the chances of collapse of the higher floors in the entrance to you and your neighbors. The latter is punishable criminally - up to life imprisonment.
- It is impossible to change the area of the bathroom. This can seriously damage the waterproofing. If your water pipe breaks, the sewer leaks, the washing machine fails, the floor may be flooded. An expanded bathroom will cause water to leak down to the neighbors below the living floor, with all the ensuing consequences.
Carrying out any cosmetic or major repairs without redevelopment does not affect the stability of the house as a whole.
How to properly organize the space?
So, the standard layout of a 4-room apartment in panel high-rise buildings has the following disadvantages:
- narrow and long hallway;
- lack of space for kitchen furniture;
- the living room and kitchen are separated by one of the bedrooms and communicate only through the entrance hall;
- impracticality of a loggia or balcony for furniture;
- the combined bathroom is limited due to the adjoining of neighboring rooms.
If for you these shortcomings are significant - it's time to change the plan of the apartment. When obtaining permits from authorities for demolition of partitions, perform the following steps.
- Hallway zoning - division into zones for a dressing room and a place for sitting. It is recommended to put a wardrobe type designer and a couple of small poufs.
- The kitchen for a 4-room apartment is a place to place a large number of dishes: as a rule, an apartment is purchased when the family has many children. The basis is a U-shaped layout in which the dining table is central. For a quick snack or breakfast, a folding table is organized, which serves as a continuation of the windowsill. Often demolished the partition with the kitchen, which turns the adjoining bedroom into a part of the kitchen-living room.
- If the bedroom is connected to the kitchen , then the living room can be furnished under the first. Here, the living room itself migrated and connected to the kitchen. The third bedroom will be larger than the other two.
- One of the outermost bedrooms can be turned into a nursery. The nursery is furnished according to general rules: it should have a comfortable bed, chair and table.
Subsequently, when the child goes to school, the nursery will turn into a “study” room, a kind of “study room” for a teenager, where he will comfortably prepare for school activities.
At this point, you may need, for example, hanging shelves located above the table, and a Swedish wall with a horizontal bar for physical education.
- The second distant bedroom remains unchanged. It is furnished like any adult bedroom and is temporarily provided to guests. But when there are two children in the family, it can be equipped in the same way as the one that was given to the nursery. As a result, each of the children has its own room.
- A separate bathroom is being redeveloped into a combined one - it contains a shower, sink, toilet and washing machine. All equipment - compact, hanging or built-in, in addition to the bathroom there is a place for towel hangers and a pair of hanging shelves.
- In the largest room, you can fence off a place for a separate dressing room . Then the size of the room will become the same as the size of the bedrooms in the back of the living space.
- The loggia combines with the room , the door from which opens onto it. After additional warming, the loggia is suitable for a study.
- In the "brezhnevka" of a later period (until 1995), the living room and one of the bedrooms changed places. The creation of a kitchen-living room has been greatly simplified - there is no need to move the bedroom to a room farther from the entrance. The total area of the apartment is approaching 100 "squares".
The above innovations will bring the 4-room "brezhnevka" or "Khrushchev" closer to the characteristics of a 3-room new building. It does not matter if the apartment is angular - if it has 4 rooms, the procedure for redevelopment is still the same.
Redevelopment options for old apartments are mainly as follows.
- After redevelopment, the kitchen, combined with the nearest bedroom or living room, acquires an arched or other passage of a non-standard shape. It is possible to place shelves in it, fixing them at one end with a vertical suspension.
- The bathroom will become more compact, will gain more functionality.
- A top-loading washing machine will release another 0.5 sq. M. m of space.
- The kitchen-living room itself consists of two zones: for quick snacks and for the general meeting of guests at the dining table.
- The kitchen as a separate area is a compact place for cooking. The place for breakfast of two people remotely resembles a bar counter.
Such a redevelopment of a four-room apartment in an old panel house will turn bored housing into the apartment of your dreams.
"Khrushchev" and "Brezhnevka" bet on the future. New buildings of the 2000s significantly surpass them in convenience.
Nevertheless, investing in a Soviet apartment is justified - upon renovation you will receive an apartment equivalent in terms of amenities and area in a new building.
The following are a few more options for redevelopment of a four-room apartment.