Despite the fact that many people prefer to design the interior in light or saturated colors, dark colors are also relevant for many styles and are in demand. However, before including such shades in your interior, you need to learn about all the most popular tones and their features. And also it is important to understand with which particular interior styles noble shades will look most harmoniously. In addition, acquaintance with ready-made examples will greatly simplify thinking through your own design and give a complete picture of how dark colors will look in rooms for various purposes. All these nuances will be discussed in detail in this article.
Before you design the rooms of your house or apartment using dark shades, you need to familiarize yourself with a number of characteristics that they possess.
- Dark color can visually reduce the space and darken the room. In some cases, this feature helps to conceal too large spaces, but sometimes, on the contrary, makes the room dark and cramped.
- An undoubted positive feature of dark colors in the interior is that they make the appearance of the room non-standard. Such colors can be seen in the apartments of bold, creative individuals who are not afraid to show their personality.
- An important characteristic is the versatility of some dark tones, for example, black and deep gray will harmonize in the interior with any other colors.
- It is important that dark colors can be embodied both in classical styles, for example, art deco or English style, and in modern minimalism or even hi-tech.
- Due to the dark walls, you can also make an additional emphasis on interior items. Performing the function of background colors, deep shades allow you to focus on the beautiful details of furniture and accessories.
Rules for registration
When using dark tones in the interior, it is necessary to take into account a number of rules that will help to use deep saturated shades as profitably as possible, without spoiling the appearance of the room. It is necessary to take into account some nuances.
- If a dark emphasis is placed on the walls, then it is generally assumed to paint one or two walls, and not all. Only in rare cases, when the room is very well lit and has a large area, it is possible to paint more surface in the dark. Of course, I mean not only black, but such shades as a noble brown, plum, deep blue, dark green.
- So that black in the design of the walls does not look too gloomy, it is often combined with ornaments or various decorative elements, such as paintings and other accessories.
- It is important to consider interior styles before using dark colors. Some areas, such as Provence, the Mediterranean style, shabby chic suggest the absence of dark details, especially since such paints are unacceptable in the design of the walls.
- In order to visually increase the space, despite the dark walls, it is necessary that mirrors are present in the interior. They will also give the atmosphere greater aristocracy.
- Small rooms should be kept in bright colors, but dark colors can perfectly play accent roles in the interior, creating a bizarre contrast.
- It is better to paint the walls in dark colors only if the windows face the sunny side. Otherwise, the decor may look dull without adequate lighting.
The combination of dark tones
When dark colors are perfectly combined with other colors in the interior, it gives a real aesthetic pleasure from being in such a room. Often, certain techniques are also used to create a color balance between deep shades and contrasting light tones. Consider the most successful combinations with dark colors.
- If you want to visually make the space of the room wider, you should balance the walls, floor and ceiling in contrast. The ceiling and floor should be dark in color, while the walls or paint should be light.
- Such colors as dark cherry and deep gray look harmoniously among themselves in the interior. They can be used both in one piece of furniture, for example, a sofa or carpet, and on a larger scale, for example, the accent wall can be made in cherry tones.
- Dark is often embodied in the noble shades of brown, which can often be found in furniture. Such tones include the color of wenge, walnut, as well as chocolate or coffee. In combination with lighter brown, dark green or warm gray tones, they give the interior nobleness, such as in the English style.
- Dark gray and black colors look excellent in combination with yellow or gold. The first option is appropriate in a modern interior, since upholstered furniture with yellow upholstery may be present in it. It will perfectly combine with dark gray walls. More luxurious classic interiors may include gold-colored details that are commonly used in chandeliers, mirrors, fireplaces, and accessories.
- Fans of the high-tech style should not forget about the importance of the color of wet asphalt in such an interior, and that it will look great with a matte beige that is present in wooden elements. And also for furniture it is permissible to take dark blue and purple shades. In a style such as minimalism, a light tree will be an appropriate combination with dark green.
- If you adhere to the loft style in the interior, then the dark tones are mainly rich brown and dark terracotta, stylized as brickwork. They are usually balanced using light gray shades. You can also find small bright yellow accents in the loft, for example, in the design of lighting fixtures.
How to design different rooms?
When decorating an apartment or house in different styles, it is worth remembering that in each room the dark color can be used in different ways and taken in different quantities to create the most comfortable atmosphere.
Somewhere it is acceptable to paint the walls with dark colors, while in other rooms it is better to take such tones in a minimal amount.
The kitchen looks beautifully set, made in black gloss. In good lighting, it looks really solid and aesthetically pleasing. At the same time, the walls should be made in restrained, lighter colors. This option fits the concept of minimalism.
If you prefer the Scandinavian direction, it is better to make the walls darker and replace the traditional linoleum with tiles. The ceiling is painted in gray.
The chip of such a kitchen is a wooden furniture, a headset and a table, as well as the presence of simple silhouettes in the interior concept.
If the kitchen is designed in dark colors, then the countertop headset is preferably done glossy. It is also important that the windows of such a kitchen are rather large and effectively fill the space with light - they should not be covered with curtains. Above the cooking area it is worthwhile to additionally make lighting.
In a kitchen with dark tones on the walls or furniture, if it is not possible to place accessories, you can make a color accent using bright dishes.
Turquoise or yellow plates will organically contrast with the main colors and at the same time look unobtrusively.
When designing a room for sleeping, it is not recommended to give preference to a saturated black shade. Instead, it is better to stay on a dark gray scale. If the size and lighting of the bedroom allows, it can be used to decorate the walls, and part of the wall above the bed can be embossed or pasted with photo wallpaper.
The ceiling in the bedroom is preferably left light. It does not have to be white. Depending on the color of the walls, the ceiling surface can be painted in beige or light gray. This technique looks doubly organic if the same color appears in several other interior items, for example, in the headboard or bedside tables.
To finish the floor, you can choose a laminate that mimics a wooden surface. If the ceiling is white and the walls are dark, then the floor can be styled as large white boards or ivory shades . Depending on the style, the design of the laminate can also be antique. If the bedroom has free space in front of the bed, it will be appropriate to put on it a carpet of a contrasting shade, for example, burgundy or dark gray. It will be beautiful if it is combined with other accent details or textiles.
Dark colored curtains will be especially appropriate in those bedrooms in which the windows face the sunny sides. Thick dark fabric will not only save you from unwanted rays, but also complement the rich colors of the interior.
If the walls are already painted in dark, it is better to choose curtains not tone-on-tone with the color of the walls, but a close, slightly darker shade. In some minimalistic concepts, fabric blinds may also appear in place of the curtains, preferably decorated in a single color scheme with the rest of the textiles.
The closet in the bedroom with dark walls is most often decorated in contrasting colors and has a color similar to the color of the headboard (if all these pieces of furniture are made of wood). Instead of a cabinet, you can also put a light chest of drawers on which additional accessories and color accents can be placed.
The living room, made in the classical style, as a rule, allows the presence of dark wallpaper on the walls. They can be painted in dark green or blue, contain elements of brown or even golden. The lighting of the room should be at the highest level .
A plinth can be an additional element of classic trends, the shape of which is in harmony with furniture and wallpaper.
Bright accents are a must in such a living room. One of the most popular ways to dilute dark colors is pastel colored carpet. However, to a greater extent, this option is acceptable in modern areas of the interior.
As a bright accent in the Art Nouveau style, multi-colored pillows can be present on the sofa in the living room. The walls can also be decorated with paintings, and on the coffee table put an interesting vase.
This part of the room looks particularly elegant with the presence of dark gray and black shades. Plumbing, made in black, is considered by many a separate art form, because it looks very aesthetically pleasing. However, if you want to make a dark emphasis on plumbing fixtures, the number of dark colors on the walls and floor should be less.
In most cases, the bathroom is a combination of rich colors and white. It is appropriate to make black walls in spacious bathrooms with a transparent shower cabin and an open space between it and the sink area.
Plumbing is usually left white.
The bathrooms look very aesthetically pleasing, the dark color of which is stylized like wood. It can appear in some elements, for example, in cabinets and accessories. In a dark bathroom, do not neglect the mirrors, with their help the appearance of the room will become even more luxurious.
In addition to the above-mentioned design options for different rooms using dark tones, you can familiarize yourself with a number of other ready-made examples, thanks to which different rooms look very presentable and aesthetically pleasing:
- brown and beige - a classic and discreet combination of warm colors for the living room;
- the combination of purple and gray will be especially beautiful indoors with large windows and glossy ceilings;
- the gray color of the walls of the bedroom can be successfully diluted with a creative geographical accessory;
- gray walls will dilute not only the green colors in the furniture, but also the rich colors of living plants.